What was the first internet site you Became a member of ? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

What was the first internet site you Became a member of ?

mine was my space
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 06:04 PM
Not like the other ducks

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I can't remember now it might have been a Good Charlotte web forum or neopets, those are the first I remember posting on and required an account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 07:16 PM
📝📸🎬💾🎲⚾🚀⛰🍪💡

Language: '̸̼̩̑́̄͆̾͆̿́̕ṅ̶͒́
There was an old time radio Yahoo group, and baseballboards.com, both in 1999 I think. Those were the first I really followed and posted in, who knows if I had a technical account somewhere in '98 (the first year I was online).

No idea why it took me so long to join SAS.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 07:58 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
I don't recall the name of it but there was some old forum I think for a TV show it was one of those old designed websites where the person has some writing in like red color and than you have to scroll down the sides to find the forum or what ever they called it back then. Far as one I actually remember, Myspace.

I m afraid of not being enough
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 08:01 PM
Self isolating from self

Probably Hotmail or some other email service, if that counts.

Setup progress now at 100% capacity.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 08:45 PM
Discord all the way

I think it was Yahoo. My oldest email. For fun it was Habbo if I can remember.

Sent from The Secret Sevice using Obama's Tapatalk
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 09:03 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dream View Post
Probably Hotmail or some other email service, if that counts.
I think mine would have been a hotmail account too - I still use it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 09:14 PM
Locked and Loaded

My Mood: Doh
I think the first thing I ever registered too on the internet was for a hotmail account. In terms of playing games it was probably club penguin back in the day lol.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 09:28 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
I think the first thing I ever registered too on the internet was for a hotmail account. In terms of playing games it was probably club penguin back in the day lol.
I've still got a few of the first emails my son sent me when he was little. I'm a very sentimental person - but when they changed to Outlook or whatever it is I think I lost a couple. Really annoyed me when that happened.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 10:51 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Dead
Yahoo if email counts, otherwise this forum.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 10:55 PM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
Probably either Yahoo! or Switchboard.com (an online directory). They both had message boards back then. Switchboard was where I met my first troll who started mocking, harassing, and stalking me around the Internet. Two other sites I belonged to around the same time were a Q&A community, KnowPost.com, and an Enneagram-related message board. I got mercilessly trolled off the latter by the regular users, and the troll from Switchboard followed me to KnowPost and tried getting me in trouble there too. He attempted the same by impersonating me on the Yahoo! message boards but I was able to prove I didn't go by the same username there. Did I forget to mention one of the regulars on the Enneagram message board posted under my username while trolling the site, too? Plus another troll from Switchboard, and one of the regulars from the Enneagram message board (two different people), followed me to OpenDiary.com and trolled me there, and a guy I pissed off on KnowPost posted nasty messages in my GeoCities guestbooks and followed me to Stories.com (now Writing.com) and harassed me there for a year before losing interest. (I had to make my writing private on OpenDiary and Stories.com for a while to try to get rid of them all.)

That was my experience in just my first year or so online. (I'm leaving a lot out.) After twenty years of that it's pretty obvious why I don't engage in conversations with people much anymore. I started off on what I thought were good terms with everybody I mentioned above. I guess I just attract a certain type.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 01:29 AM

My Mood: Relaxed
I have no idea. It's been more than 20 years. I barely remember my first internet days. I just have a vague memory of going down to the local Best Buy and spending more money than I'd ever spent at one time and filling my car up with the PC, the huge, bulky, heavy CRT, the printer. And then there was the chair and the desk. I actually think my first computer kind of sat around mostly unused for some time when I first acquired it. I was still mostly watching TV. I kind of just played around with it from time to time for probably the first 6 months before I really dove in.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 02:03 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
I believe it was Hotmail, way back in 97 or 98.

"Sin" is an imaginary disease invented to sell you an imaginary cure.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 03:23 AM
Pesky Pessimist

Either Yahoo or Hotmail.

AOL would be my very first, although not a website per say.

What goes up, will inevitably come back down. Whoever you have to step on when you go up, you will be at their mercy when you go down.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 04:01 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
Gaming forum for the game Soulbringer. I suppose I must have had an email address in order to register there, and if so it was likely Hotmail.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 04:10 AM

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I have no idea. It's been more than 20 years. I barely remember my first internet days. I just have a vague memory of going down to the local Best Buy and spending more money than I'd ever spent at one time and filling my car up with the PC, the huge, bulky, heavy CRT, the printer. And then there was the chair and the desk. I actually think my first computer kind of sat around mostly unused for some time when I first acquired it. I was still mostly watching TV. I kind of just played around with it from time to time for probably the first 6 months before I really dove in.
Also, AOL's integrated message boards were convenient at the time, since I used AOL and everything was integrated into the AOL interface (which was nice and convenient for people who were not all that tech savvy, like myself). So I spent probably a large amount of time on AOL message boards in the early years and I guess I missed them after I left AOL and gradually branched out to forums.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 12:32 PM
SAS Member

Mine was Hotmail.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page