Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

What anime/manga are you watching/reading?

27K views 275 replies 97 participants last post by  ScarletGirlX 
#1 ·
The old thread died so it's time for a new one :D.

I just finished Campione and Baccano. Campione was a generic harem but it was entertaining. The main problem was the MC, he was really annoying. Baccano on the other hand was great, I really liked how they showed the way each character experienced the story.

#2 ·
I've been rewatching Yu Yu Hakusho which I haven't seen since it was on Toonami in 2003, I think. I still like it but the story definitely loses something after its most popular arc finishes. It's good enough to make me consider starting Hunter x Hunter (same creator) even though I usually try to avoid those series that go on for years and years with no end in sight. Which is admittedly kind of a silly position to take when my favorite series is JoJo.
Anyway, what I really want to start next is a new series from this year. Any recommendations?

#4 ·

I've been rewatching Yu Yu Hakusho which I haven't seen since it was on Toonami in 2003, I think. I still like it but the story definitely loses something after its most popular arc finishes. It's good enough to make me consider starting Hunter x Hunter (same creator) even though I usually try to avoid those series that go on for years and years with no end in sight. Which is admittedly kind of a silly position to take when my favorite series is JoJo.
Anyway, what I really want to start next is a new series from this year. Any recommendations?
Omg I miss Toonami and the space guy on the ship.. remember when that blob invaded the cruiser?

Definitely give HXH a go, I was on the fence about it too when I saw the how many episodes it had but actually it was a great adventure with lots of character depth and development. Even the minor/supporting roles are more detailed too than most series because they can afford to be with the length. :O

#3 ·
You know, I never read comics as a kid. We didn't have a comic book store in this small town. That extended into adulthood. For some reason however, I started reading this Berserk manga. The show turned me off with all it's aggressive homoeroticism, but the book was good. Great even. And that's what I'm reading these days. It's a pain in the dick. I caught up some time ago and the month or two waits between issues is terrible. But I just have to know. Now it appears to be on a hiatus yet again. Some people have probably been reading this for the entire 30 years it's been published. And I thought 7 or 8 years for asoiaf was bad. And issues are only 20 pages long and take me 15 minutes, even when absorbing all the artwork.

I have been watching Lupin III recently as well. A mix of it. This latest series is a bit ****ed though. They replaced most of the voice actors with garbage ****s. The animation took a hit after the beautiful Fujiko Mine series as well. Still does er for me though.

#5 ·
Havent watched anime for ages. Sometimes I watch episode or two of Gintama. Sadly xbox one takes all my spare time now.

I still have unopened dvd boxset of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood lying in my drawer. According to myanimelist.net best anime ever.

#7 ·
I finished Dragon Ball Super a while ago. Not a bad Dragon Ball series overall if you leave out the filler garbage and stupid characters in the tournament. But how high can Goku go in power level. Way more than 9000 now.

They still haven't turned Gohan into a bad ***. And will they work on the story of Vegeta with the God of destruction thing?

#8 ·
I was feeling nostalgic so I have been giving Trigun a re-watch. Still good. They had some really killer shows in the late 90s there. Trigun and Escaflowne were a big influence on me. It got me thinking about this other anime from that general era. Love Hina. I absolutely engorged that **** when I was like 12 or 13 or so. To be honest, when I think back on it, and remember the characters and plot, it seems like such garbage, total trash. Might have to give it a re-watch also though. If only for the cringe.

#10 ·
I've been watching Berserk with my brother. Has its cringe-worthy moments (I mean I'm watching it with my brother), but otherwise I really like the story & characters, despite the terrible things and morbidity. I saw the original one from 1997 when I was a teenager and was left feeling similar to how I did after Evangelion. It's kind of like I'm a psychological masochist :lol

#23 ·
Berserk is the only manga I'm following. I started it like 17 years ago and I don't think I'll ever see the end :rofl.
At least we just reached a pivotal moment.

In the past months I watched Made in Abyss and The Ancient Magus Bride that I really enjoyed and Devilman Crybaby that was ok.

I've been watching Berserk with my brother. Has its cringe-worthy moments (I mean I'm watching it with my brother), but otherwise I really like the story & characters, despite the terrible things and morbidity. I saw the original one from 1997 when I was a teenager and was left feeling similar to how I did after Evangelion. It's kind of like I'm a psychological masochist :lol
The new anime is a bloody horror show and not in the positive, intriguing way it is supposed to be.
They ****ed up so badly with CGI that my eyes were bleeding half of the time. I couldn't believe how they 'animated' the Grunbeld fight. It's a shame that such an apic manga can't get a decent adaptation.

I just got done Re-watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, now i'm scouring MAL trying to find recommendations, eh, it's not going so great. ha
I loved FMAB, I still rewatch some bits every now and then.

#15 ·
Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online

Episode one was clearly all about trying to bring in a new audience. Namely, the masses who are into competitive shooter games. On that account I suppose it was alright but not really my flavor to savor. Thankfully the second episode brought in the character focus which has me caring a lot more.

#19 ·
Currently watching Mahoutsukai no Yome (The Ancient Magus Bride). Really great show would recommend it for everyone!
I also really can't wait when will Darling in the FranXX gonna fully come out, damn, I saw so much spoilers already... It's not possible to avoid...

#22 ·
I just got done Re-watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, now i'm scouring MAL trying to find recommendations, eh, it's not going so great. ha

#29 ·
Amazing movie. I used to have the soundtrack on cd, and would fall asleep every night listening to it.

I just finished watching Hellsing Ultimate for like, the 4th time. Before that I watched GATE.

#31 ·
Steins gate 0, Heroic age, Hunter X Hunter, My Hero Academia season 3.

Manga Citrus - Read it in the library, and learned from the anomaly.
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Citrus-Manga-Volume-6

Steins gate 0 - Learned about the future of humanity in the year 2036 and time machines, and Artificial Intelligence with human feelings and human brain capabilities. I know for a fact the High Authority NSA Software Engineers be dropping direct messages in this anime, just like Serial Experiments Lain.

Serial Experiments Lain - Shows how the Multi-Agent Quantum Artificial Intelligence in real life can use bio-software machines to clone human programmed energy, and their characteristics are reprogrammed. At the end, the girl question the god program, and said that he was the creator itself, but who created him itself, and the program got extremely confused and angry. The program isn't supposed to know the concept of god in the very first place, itself is incorrect.

#34 · (Edited)
Blue Gender, Black Bullet, and Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse.

Blue Gender - Takes place in the year 2031, where giant bugs infested planet Earth. Yuji Kaido has been in suspended animation since 2009 till 2031.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1362747110_3041003-world-trade-center.jpg
The image shown is where Yuji reaches the destined location and watching the transformation of planet Earth to the Post-Apocalypse. Where humans are forced to build a space ship to live outside their planet, and it's called second earth. The Twin Towers shown is an example of what happened during September 11, 2001, and directed a message what would happen if it didn't happen.

At 18:32

There's a related anime called Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse, which saw the invasion of the Beta that takes place in the year 1973, but 30 years later in 2001 the UN has made the Imperial Japan and the United States as a part of its TSF international mutual development unit, the Prominence Project. The Beta comes from another place, and invaded Earth to feast on all life forms.

Another related anime called Black Bullet, where in 2021 a parasitic virus known as "Gastrea" infects humans, and sharing it's capabilities.

All three anime share a connected idea just like the movie the mist.

The High Authority NSA Software Engineers put legitimate ideas that can take place within humanity.

#35 ·
Someone suggest an anime for me...

I love Dragonball, Z, Super. I really enjoyed Rozen Maiden, Hellsing, Gate, ..

What are some good anime to watch that are at least similar to those?

#36 ·
Hellsing is an action-packed anime, so you might like some shows like Black Lagoon or Baccano that are also pretty badass. Rozen Maiden was pretty unique and was one of those shows that really got me into anime. It had everything from feels to ridiculous funny moments. I haven't seen another show that was similar, but one of the main characters in Gosick(Victorique) really reminded me of Shinku. When it comes to Gate maybe give Outbreak Company a try :yes. The plot and setting are similar but Outbreak Company is definitely more comedy-oriented.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.