Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Geek Central (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f14/)
-   -   Question about USB controller for emulators. (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f14/question-about-usb-controller-for-emulators-2236375/)

WillYouStopDave 09-29-2020 02:23 PM

Question about USB controller for emulators.
 
OK. I'm real dumb in the PC gaming department so I need someone to help me out here. I don't have a lot of money to spend so I'm probably only going to be able to buy one controller for all the emulators I might want to use (So far, it's just Atari 2600, NES and SNES but it will probably eventually be Xbox as well).

If you could only buy one USB controller from Amazon for all emulators, which one would it be?

WillYouStopDave 09-29-2020 02:25 PM

BTW, I'm tempted to go wireless but I don't really think it's worth the extra complexity. I'm not going to be far from my PC and I can always get a USB extension cable.

Scrub-Zero 09-29-2020 03:19 PM

My best recommendation is an actual PlayStation 4 controller. Nothing works better and it works right out of the box on win 10 for emulators. For some PC games you might need a program called input mapper but its easy to download and install, and you just start it up and it sets up controller to play. Like for me, i need that to play Dark souls or the controller is all wonky in game. But i'm on windows 7 so yeah.

^one downside of ps4 controllers is, the wire to charge won't come with a new controller. Yes, Sony are that cheap. So you have to buy it aside, which is around 10$ i guess.


Second and third recommendation are these:

1: https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Sn30-P...1412833&sr=8-6



2: https://www.amazon.ca/8Bitdo-Retro-B...1412781&sr=8-6

They work amazingly well and work with wire and even better, wireless. A couple of button press and you're good to go Bluetooth wireless.

Those 8bitdo controllers are the best around. Trust me, i wouldn't recommend them otherwise and i own both that i use to play games on my phone with a clip. Ive done hours of research and testing on many game-pads lol. They are affordable and work just great. Even better than some 100$ razer controllers lol. 8bitdo nailed it with their controllers.

The best is the first one i linked. It's comfortable in your hands and analogs are better, and you can upgrade the firmware to be able to set your own buttons the way you like in games. And it comes with a battery pack that you can replace.

The second one is good, but battery is way harder to replace. Other than that it's just like a super Nintendo pad. Just excellent for any fighting games, platform games and whatever you'd play.

Id recommend an Xbox one controller also but i hate the d pad. Works like crap for fighting games.

WillYouStopDave 09-29-2020 04:24 PM

@Scrub-Zero

Unfortunately, all of those are out of my price range. I don't want to go super cheap but really can't justify spending more than about $30. I do think Sony style controllers are the most ergonomic looking. I was honestly thinking about just getting a SNES clone but then anything more advanced than SNES would be painful with that controller. I'm not entirely sure I will be going more advanced than SNES in the near future, however, so...

TBH, I'm just at the point where anything is better than a keyboard when it comes to games that were just designed for being played on a console with a controller. I just want to get my feet wet and have some fun. I pretty much did nothing console more advanced than SNES and some Genesis and a little tiny bit of Xbox (original) so there's A LOT of territory before I get anywhere near the latest games for the newest consoles. And I still have a lot of figuring out to do with emulators. I barely know what I'm doing. I just don't want to buy the worst controller in the world. Meaning that even if it is a pretty basic controller, I just need it to be functional in all the ways that (for example) a SNES controller was supposed to be (meaning that all the buttons do what they're supposed to and I don't have weird issues like diagonal not working because they cut corners).

Glue 09-29-2020 04:47 PM

I use my PS4 controller because it just works with everything.

Scrub-Zero 09-29-2020 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave (Post 1094022143)
@Scrub-Zero

Unfortunately, all of those are out of my price range. I don't want to go super cheap but really can't justify spending more than about $30. I do think Sony style controllers are the most ergonomic looking. I was honestly thinking about just getting a SNES clone but then anything more advanced than SNES would be painful with that controller. I'm not entirely sure I will be going more advanced than SNES in the near future, however, so...

TBH, I'm just at the point where anything is better than a keyboard when it comes to games that were just designed for being played on a console with a controller. I just want to get my feet wet and have some fun. I pretty much did nothing console more advanced than SNES and some Genesis and a little tiny bit of Xbox (original) so there's A LOT of territory before I get anywhere near the latest games for the newest consoles. And I still have a lot of figuring out to do with emulators. I barely know what I'm doing. I just don't want to buy the worst controller in the world. Meaning that even if it is a pretty basic controller, I just need it to be functional in all the ways that (for example) a SNES controller was supposed to be (meaning that all the buttons do what they're supposed to and I don't have weird issues like diagonal not working because they cut corners).

Oh, i see. Well in that case you could always try a knock off ps4 controller.
They are around 30$ and not the best gamepads but they work.


https://www.amazon.com/PS4-Controlle...419571&sr=8-10



This here is not a bad controller at all. The D-pad kind of sucks but overall it works well and its plug and play, no worries.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-...1419468&sr=8-1


And yes a snes like pad would work well for emulators, but if you play a game that needs analog, you're screwed.

Honestly id shell out a bit more and go with the 8bitdo snes pro. The second one i linked. You'd be set for a long time and it would play any games on any emulator pretty well, from Atari to Xbox because they have all the buttons for it. You'd be better of paying 10$ more than buy any other cheaper controllers i recommended.

But if you're gonna go cheaper, then get the Logitech, its a safe bet, low price and it does the job. The knockoff ps4 pad i can't speak for it since i never tried. I imagine they plug and work as well as the Logitech.

one last thing, check craigs list or that facebook market thing. I saw cheap controller there, like ps3, ps4, xbox one for less than 30$. A ps3 controller would work well too, but they are harder to setup. You need something like SCP tool for that but its not complicated.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Glue (Post 1094022153)
I use my PS4 controller because it just works with everything.

Definitely the way to go. Works flawlessly and better than xbox one controllers. Imo Playstation pads have been the best since Super Nintendo controllers.

But again, 8bitdo are way up there now.




WillYouStopDave 10-01-2020 03:06 AM

@Scrub-Zero

I think you've steered me in the right direction. I probably will not get the official PS4 controller because it just costs too much and I don't want/need wireless (My PC is decent but it doesn't have bluetooth and I am still using Windows 7 and even the cheapo bluetooth dongle I bought for it doesn't work well). But it looks like they have some wired PS4 clones, which will be absolutely fine for me if everything works. I do like the Sony style and always did think their Playstation controllers were comfortable (going all the way back to the original).

Scrub-Zero 10-01-2020 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave (Post 1094022773)
@Scrub-Zero

I think you've steered me in the right direction. I probably will not get the official PS4 controller because it just costs too much and I don't want/need wireless (My PC is decent but it doesn't have bluetooth and I am still using Windows 7 and even the cheapo bluetooth dongle I bought for it doesn't work well). But it looks like they have some wired PS4 clones, which will be absolutely fine for me if everything works. I do like the Sony style and always did think their Playstation controllers were comfortable (going all the way back to the original).

Yeah a wired controller will work well. Those ps4 like gamepads arent too bad i imagine. You can buy a cheap ps4 knockoff and a cable and you will be good to go. That's how i use my controllers on pc, with cables because i'm on win 7 too and no bluetooth.

You can also get a wired xbox 360 pad for very cheap usually. I paid mine 25$ at walmart. Again, the dpad is crap but the controllers are very comfy to hold and play with the analogs.

And if you have the patience, keep checking craigslist or something similar, you can literally get working playstation 4 or Xbox one controller for 20-30$ Ive seen some very cheap ones. That would be a good upgrade to look out for.

anyway, good luck I hope it all works for you.

WillYouStopDave 10-01-2020 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrub-Zero (Post 1094022111)

2: https://www.amazon.ca/8Bitdo-Retro-B...1412781&sr=8-6

They work amazingly well and work with wire and even better, wireless. A couple of button press and you're good to go Bluetooth wireless.

Those 8bitdo controllers are the best around. Trust me, i wouldn't recommend them otherwise and i own both that i use to play games on my phone with a clip. Ive done hours of research and testing on many game-pads lol. They are affordable and work just great. Even better than some 100$ razer controllers lol. 8bitdo nailed it with their controllers.

The best is the first one i linked. It's comfortable in your hands and analogs are better, and you can upgrade the firmware to be able to set your own buttons the way you like in games. And it comes with a battery pack that you can replace.

The second one is good, but battery is way harder to replace. Other than that it's just like a super Nintendo pad. Just excellent for any fighting games, platform games and whatever you'd play.

On second thought, the wired version of this one is looking really nice. And people seem to universally like this brand and that's mainly why I ask questions when I don't know what I'm dealing with. Mainly looking for a reputable brand for a price I can live with. The wired version is just a tad over 20 bucks, which is about what I was looking for.

Scrub-Zero 10-01-2020 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave (Post 1094022823)
On second thought, the wired version of this one is looking really nice. And people seem to universally like this brand and that's mainly why I ask questions when I don't know what I'm dealing with. Mainly looking for a reputable brand for a price I can live with. The wired version is just a tad over 20 bucks, which is about what I was looking for.

yes the wired version would be perfect for you. Go with that, you won't get something better for the price.

8bitdo are building a good reputation because they're making pretty a good variety of quality controllers. Just like an old snes pad with analog sticks. They even have Genesis like controller and big nice arcade stick.


https://www.8bitdo.com/

WillYouStopDave 10-01-2020 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrub-Zero (Post 1094022827)
yes the wired version would be perfect for you. Go with that, you won't get something better for the price.

8bitdo are building a good reputation because they're making pretty a good variety of quality controllers. Just like an old snes pad with analog sticks. They even have Genesis like controller and big nice arcade stick.


https://www.8bitdo.com/

That's really nice. I always did kind of wonder why nice arcade pads weren't more popular. I think I had a friend who had something like that (only not nearly as nice as that one). I guess it's kinda unweildy in a typical home but still very appealing. I spent many hours (and quarters) in arcades back in the day. I was never any good at any games but it was still tons of fun.

Scrub-Zero 10-01-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave (Post 1094022917)
That's really nice. I always did kind of wonder why nice arcade pads weren't more popular. I think I had a friend who had something like that (only not nearly as nice as that one). I guess it's kinda unweildy in a typical home but still very appealing. I spent many hours (and quarters) in arcades back in the day. I was never any good at any games but it was still tons of fun.

They are a niche item for a lot of people who like fighting games and those among them who participate in professional tournaments. Some people don't play without it.

They work for other games too as they did in the arcades but not so well for analog games because they're only 8 ways like a D-pad. That's why they're so good for fighting games. It's easier to pull special moves than with an analog stick.

Other just build arcade sticks in their arcade cabinet for that good old school feel.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® ©2000-2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome