Post your unpopular technology opinions

I will start

Chrome is better than Firefox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 03:19 PM
zkv
Problem Dog

Maybe that the only technology truly worth investing on right now is all concerning renewable energy. I'll ride a horse, must be a pretty kickass feeling.

Edit: aaand, it's the Geek Central section I'm leaving it in anyway.

Flowers will grow from these wounds.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 03:50 PM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
Brave is better than Chrome.

...Actually it's pretty much just Chrome but without ads and not so damn boggy.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 05:33 PM
zkv
Problem Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equity View Post
That makes the most sense though because as it costs more and more to maintain others. And there are the related costs from damage if using other things.
If you mean the damage is the cost, I agree.

Sometimes I'm really pessimistic about our future as a species. And make jokes about it constantly if I'm feeling it. Strangely, it doesn't upset me emotionally. It will be upsetting when the air is on fire and we can't breathe and, y'know... other stuff is happening. Watch the Marc Maron special. He payed me to post this.

Flowers will grow from these wounds.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 06:01 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
Social media are cancer, one of the worst trends ever. Not only are they a privacy nightmare but they condition people to not care about their privacy or anonymity online. Which governments are more than happy to exploit through spying and enacting legislation that makes it easier to spy. I remember back in the early 2000s, a teacher of mine had a theory that the reality show trend of the time was an experiment to see how much invasion of their privacy normal people would be willing to put up with. Well, I wonder what he thinks of this situation now, with people willingly putting up their entire lives online, without a prize at stake, and not caring what Evilcorp does with their personal information.

Steam is DRM. A lot of the games on there can't be played without the client, and none of the games there can be installed without it. I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion anymore, but it's another case of consumers giving away their rights for the sake of convenience.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 06:22 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorchedEarth View Post
Social media are cancer, one of the worst trends ever. Not only are they a privacy nightmare but they condition people to not care about their privacy or anonymity online. Which governments are more than happy to exploit through spying and enacting legislation that makes it easier to spy. I remember back in the early 2000s, a teacher of mine had a theory that the reality show trend of the time was an experiment to see how much invasion of their privacy normal people would be willing to put up with. Well, I wonder what he thinks of this situation now, with people willingly putting up their entire lives online, without a prize at stake, and not caring what Evilcorp does with their personal information.
Actually, though I'm not necessarily a big fan of big government, I worry more about ordinary people abusing the power of information. Seems like most governments are fairly well behaved despite the availability of privacy nightmare technologies that are easily exploited. Even the government agencies that do spy on civilians generally seem to not massively abuse the information they sift through and are mostly just looking for things like terrorism and/or international security threats. I think your next door neighbor is more likely to cause problems with whatever private information they are able to obtain from social media than the government is. Sadly, the reality of it is the average person walking down the street is the real reason you have to keep everything locked.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 10:13 PM
📝📸🎬💾🎲⚾🚀⛰🍪💡

Language: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equity View Post
I guess an unpopular opinion I have is I don't like RGB. I even cover up all the standard little lights on my computer or turn off backlit keyboards because I think they're annoying. Actually I stopped covering those, I think I used to always have my ceiling light off. I turn off the lights on my headphones because I don't like to see it reflected on my glasses.
I've covered up every one of the electronics status lights I own with about ten layers of tape each, just to dull them to still visible but not intensely painful levels. Don't know how anybody could survive them on a device they look at frequently.

But what is RGB? To me it means the color mode we use on screens as opposed to CMYK being popular for print.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I've covered up every one of the electronics status lights I own with about ten layers of tape each, just to dull them to still visible but not intensely painful levels. Don't know how anybody could survive them on a device they look at frequently.

But what is RGB? To me it means the color mode we use on screens as opposed to CMYK being popular for print.
I think it's like those computer fans and waterblocks and so forth with LED lighting effects (I guess they're called "RGB" because the lighting is fully customizable to just about any color you want and RGB stuff tends to blink and pulse and call attention to itself). And I agree. Extremely annoying. It has almost gotten so bad you almost can't buy PC fans that don't light up.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 10:51 PM
Not like the other ducks

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I don't think this is unpopular but the constant updates on modern software - operating systems, video games etc if you're connected to the internet are intrusive and annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 11:15 AM
SAS Member

I think Apple and their products suck. God I hated using a Mac.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 01:43 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 01:55 PM
Mattie

Windows 7 was ugly.

Wireless mice are useless.

All laptops should be 17".

Mucus is a living thing you know
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 06:43 PM
Failure's Art

Technology doesn't really work. Not well at least. I've had so many problems with my wifi, iPhone, PC, Firefox, Sonos Play 5 etc. etc. they all seem to break too often. And just randomly. So annoying.

too scared to live; too scared to die
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 03:30 AM
Pesky Pessimist

I hate the design standard of eliminating the 3.5mm headphone jack.

Forced unavoidable updates
Changes to great UI designs just for the sake of changing in order to "look new". Most cases, they change for the worse.

Elimination of physical medium for software.

Paying $1000 difference for a phone simply for a better camera and other specs that the average person will probably never use.

Tablets replacing the computers or keyboards in general for casual home computer users.

Apple products simply being looked at as the norm to fit into society.

Airpods are overrated and overpriced for music listening.

Walking 50 steps from your bedroom to your smart speaker to ask it to turn off Light Switch B, despite Light Switch B being only 10 steps from your bedroom. Then yelling at it 20 times to finally open your automated/manual lightweight slide door into your home gym so you can start on your long grueling weight lifting session. But hey, I spent nearly $200 on it, so I gotta use it.

What goes up, will inevitably come back down. Whoever you have to step on when you go up, you will be at their mercy when you go down.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
Walking 50 steps from your bedroom to your smart speaker to ask it to turn off Light Switch B, despite Light Switch B being only 10 steps from your bedroom. Then yelling at it 20 times to finally open your automated/manual lightweight slide door into your home gym so you can start on your long grueling weight lifting session. But hey, I spent nearly $200 on it, so I gotta use it.
I use my Alexa to automatically turn on a smart plug a few times a week to keep emergency batteries charged (without overcharging them and killing them). It works exceptionally well for something like that. Putting a battery charger on a standard charger is not really a good solution because most inexpensive timers will come on at the same time every day and that is too often to charge a battery that isn't being used and merely needs to be kept charged for emergency use.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 04:17 AM
Pesky Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I use my Alexa to automatically turn on a smart plug a few times a week to keep emergency batteries charged (without overcharging them and killing them). It works exceptionally well for something like that. Putting a battery charger on a standard charger is not really a good solution because most inexpensive timers will come on at the same time every day and that is too often to charge a battery that isn't being used and merely needs to be kept charged for emergency use.

Yeah it's definitely good for tasks like those. Like forgetful things and things in a matter of safety. I just usually see people using them for very simple mundane tasks, while having very little smart compatible things to warrant using one in the first place.

What goes up, will inevitably come back down. Whoever you have to step on when you go up, you will be at their mercy when you go down.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 05:26 PM
Social experimenter

Language: hambergers
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Actually, though I'm not necessarily a big fan of big government, I worry more about ordinary people abusing the power of information. Seems like most governments are fairly well behaved despite the availability of privacy nightmare technologies that are easily exploited. Even the government agencies that do spy on civilians generally seem to not massively abuse the information they sift through and are mostly just looking for things like terrorism and/or international security threats. I think your next door neighbor is more likely to cause problems with whatever private information they are able to obtain from social media than the government is. Sadly, the reality of it is the average person walking down the street is the real reason you have to keep everything locked.
Yes but what about the fact that everything 'ordinary people' are getting away with now is BECAUSE of government-backed activities and an environment that makes it profitable to do so? In 1969 MIT students protested when they learned about the military experimenting with networking technology and the end goal. Nowadays the military industrial complex is going to be superseded by a surveillance industrial complex, starting lucrative contractors going after government money for facial recognition, 5g, and 'smart city' sensors.

All this time a bunch of polyester-suit robber baron salesmen have been pushing corporate-backed authoritarian technology and making it sounds like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by either/or View Post
Technology doesn't really work. Not well at least. I've had so many problems with my wifi, iPhone, PC, Firefox, Sonos Play 5 etc. etc. they all seem to break too often. And just randomly. So annoying.
This !!! Most engineers are greedy middlemen.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 09:36 AM
Discord all the way

I need to find some more cool mouse pointer cursor downwload for my laptop.

Sent from my Spirit using Tapatalk
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 11:28 PM
Socializing with myself

Language: Created my own language for context
Google Chromebook is only good for school. The whole design of Chromebook limits me from sorting my data.

Signature Under Construction - Be back very soon to update knowledge!

In the meantime. I'll perfect my writing techniques.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 09:34 AM
Discord all the way

Flash will no longer be in use. It will not be running anymore in December of 2020. I'm kind of sad. I feel like the internet need Flash. {Not the superhero. lol} Flash is a program that computers use to run games and some other stuff. I'm familiar with it from playing an online virtual game in the past called Habbo. It would ask permission in order for me to run the game through the website.

It seem like nowadays technology is removing the old stuff that we are so use to knowing. What is next? Java? I guess that is how one would feel when you lived in a generation that was familiar with it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page