Overpriced Apple - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Yoink

Cool

Overpriced Apple

I pay $60 per year for my smartphone service. I've been using Tracfone for years and the minutes etc. roll over if I don't use them. At this point I have 6,000 minutes that I'll probably never use.

We cancelled our $130 per month cable bill years ago. We realized for that price we could buy the blu-ray version of any TV show and still have money left over.

I used to have an iPod but that didn't last long. My Sony MP3 players on the other hand have worked for years.

People wanna pay thousands of dollars for their iPhones. Good for them. I'd rather save my money and have a 7.1 1000 watt home theater system with Xbox One streaming 4K Netflix content for less than $15 per month.

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:02 AM
MechanicallyMinded

My Mood: Twisted
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbath9 View Post
I pay $60 per year for my smartphone service. I've been using Tracfone for years and the minutes etc. roll over if I don't use them. At this point I have 6,000 minutes that I'll probably never use.

We cancelled our $130 per month cable bill years ago. We realized for that price we could buy the blu-ray version of any TV show and still have money left over.

I used to have an iPod but that didn't last long. My Sony MP3 players on the other hand have worked for years.

People wanna pay thousands of dollars for their iPhones. Good for them. I'd rather save my money and have a 7.1 1000 watt home theater system with Xbox One streaming 4K Netflix content for less than $15 per month.
Welcome to the good side of capitalism my friend.

Choice is great

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Yoink

If you save $1,000 per year from cable and $1,000 per year from smartphone service. After 10 years you have $20,000 which makes a good down payment for a home. Pay off the house in 15 years instead of 30 years and you'll save loads of money on interest. Then you'll only need to pay property taxes each year instead of monthly rent.

all hate and money

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:32 AM
MechanicallyMinded

Quote:
If you save $1,000 per year from cable and $1,000 per year from smartphone service. After 10 years you have $20,000 which makes a good down payment for a home. Pay off the house in 15 years instead of 30 years and you'll save loads of money on interest. Then you'll only need to pay property taxes each year instead of monthly rent.
Yeah I guess if your spending $80 a month anways its not like your too broke to save money. So in that case sure why not save it if your not gonna miss it.

Plus if you invest it in some safe stocks/CD's/or even a savings account, youll get some bonus capital.

Probably not as much as inflation, so maybe its best to put that money into something real like gold.

But yeah all and all saving is good if you can afford to.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:04 AM
SAS Member

Its crazy the amount of money people are ready to pay just to have the latest phones/gadget.

I just have a 40$ a month line with kodoo and 3gb of data and i rarely go over one gb per month lol. All that on an old Samsung galaxy 3 that still works like new.

I mainly use my phone to play snes games, music or get the once in a lifetime call from somebody.

You're Winner!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Yoink

I hardly ever use my phone. Maybe while waiting in line I'll play some Tetris.

I have real computers, laptops and even an ultrabook.

With the money I saved I also have real cameras, real monitors, a real video camera, mp3 players, etc.

Most times when I head out the door I'll put my smartphone on "Airplane Mode" to stop from getting cancer because my phone is in my pocket.

We still have a landline and that is the phone number I give out on my resume.

I get tons of robo-calls on my smartphone throughout the day. I just ignore them because no one I know calls me on my smartphone.

And if the police benevolent association thinks I'm going to donate money to them, they're just as crazy as the war on drugs.

all hate and money
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:30 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
I will say that Apple has one advantage (or it would seem. I don't have anything Apple). Everyone is using it and if anything MAJOR goes wrong, so many people will be complaining that it will likely be fixed fast. I don't like the tendency they have to drag everyone else along for the (potentially) bumpy ride when they decide to do something different.

And of course, since they have such a broad customer base, their stuff doesn't have to be more expensive than diamonds. They're just greedy.

/WYSD
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:33 AM
experimental sincerity

I use a burner type phone that cost me about 10-15, with monthly outgoings of about 7. The battery lasts forever, but yes, I am left out of all Whatsapp group chatter and I get lost in the city a lot.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Yoink

I'd rather play Counter-Strike: Source on my gamer PC with a 24" monitor then do almost anything else.

I bought my gamer PC cheap at Costco for like $500 (90 return policy and free 4 year warranty).

I have to turn down my frames per second to like 60 because it'll go to 300 fps but then it gets heated and the fan is loud.

I think it'll last longer too, by using a lower fps.

all hate and money
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:04 AM

Get the Granny Smith kind instead
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:07 AM
SAS Member

I prefer a pink lady, the juice is exquisite

We've all got a little bit of royal blood in our veins, we're all in line for the succession, and if nineteen million, four hundred thousand, two hundred and eight people die, I'll be king tomorrow. It's not very likely but its a nice thought and helps keep me going.

P.COOK

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 04:25 PM
Optimism Prime~

I agree with the OP, there's a lot of money to save from not going with the most popular brand most of the time.

And Apple in particular are the kings of PR/advertisement imo. They have decent mid-range products that they convince people are better than they actually are.

slow progress is still progress.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 04:29 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Samurai View Post
I agree with the OP, there's a lot of money to save from not going with the most popular brand most of the time.

And Apple in particular are the kings of PR/advertisement imo. They have decent mid-range products that they convince people are better than they actually are.
I feel like their real product is their software. The hardware is run of the mill (probably).

/WYSD
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 04:45 PM
Optimism Prime~

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I feel like their real product is their software. The hardware is run of the mill (probably).
I'd agree with that. But ironically enough they do purposely make it difficult to write programs for their devices (unless you're working directly for them) So it's kind of a catch 22 - Apple creates good software for their devices at a premium price, but at the same time they make sure that they're the only real option to go for.

slow progress is still progress.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:32 PM
womfn

Are we the same person? Lol. I also have a tracfone and a Sony mp3 player. Love them both. But I pay about 110$ a year for the service on my phone. I think 9$ a month. I thought that was the cheapest plan? What is your plan?
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:56 PM
SAS Member

Yep

What most people don't know is that it's all very rigged in that they continue to raise the prices while most of the tech they use should be seeing a decline in price to manufacture.

Even with the economies of scale being what they are, there's no way (in my mind) a smartphone of today's caliber is worth a grand.

Honestly, the only phone that would be reasonable to pay that much for is currently Samsung, but that's only because of its comparative specs and not due its "innovation".

Why anyone would need a smartphone with more than 6 let alone 4 Gigs of RAM is beyond me. It's not meant to replace the desktop experience yet I feel folk try to do just that with it.

The worse thing is that companies will always find a way to give people incentive to buy new phones after only a short period of owning their "old" phone.

Most Android vendors only support their phones for an additional 2 major Android versions and after that, their phone essentially becomes EOL. From what I've seen/heard, the majority of threats on the Android platform has been from user-space (as expected). So, to most, this isn't a justification to upgrade or to be up to date. I'm assuming that their apps can get upgraded up to a certain point but would eventually stop due to losing compatibility.

So, in Apple's case, while they may support iOS on their devices for longer, they're more liable to rig the performance on older devices without confirming doing so. On Android, they're Android will run the same for the extent its allowed with whatever Android version the vendor leaves them off with but will eventually stop receiving OS updates and app updates sooner.

The trick these companies use is marketing well to make people buy a "new" phone which only has marginally better specs or performance.

I've known people who run so much crap on their phone and I always think to myself "do you really need all the tweeters and myspaces?"

We don't need new phones with specs increasing the rate it is, but because companies can do this and essentially force us to buy into it, we see what we see today.

It's for those reasons why I'm hoping the Librem 5 takes off well enough to the point that other people can start bridging the gap. The Pine64 guys seem to be interested in a budget phone running UBports.

Though I have always made it my practice to be pleasant to everybody, I have not once actually experienced friendship. I have only the most painful recollections of my various acquaintances ..."
― Osamu Dazai, No Longer Human

Last edited by That Random Guy; 03-31-2019 at 05:02 PM. Reason: typo
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Yoink

Quote:
Originally Posted by caelle View Post
Are we the same person? Lol. I also have a tracfone and a Sony mp3 player. Love them both. But I pay about 110$ a year for the service on my phone. I think 9$ a month. I thought that was the cheapest plan? What is your plan?

I buy the shortest plan, usually the 30 day plan. Then at checkout they have the 365 days of service plan (no data, no minutes, no text) for like $60 or $70.

By the way, I had to finally give up on my ancient Sony MP3 players because it was getting harder and harder to reload them with new music. The good news is I found a SanDisk MP3 player at Best Buy for $30. It has 8GB internal memory but also a SD micro slot which accepts a 64GB card my brother gave me

all hate and money
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:44 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
I buy the shortest plan, usually the 30 day plan. Then at checkout they have the 365 days of service plan (no data, no minutes, no text) for like $60 or $70.

By the way, I had to finally give up on my ancient Sony MP3 players because it was getting harder and harder to reload them with new music. The good news is I found a SanDisk MP3 player at Best Buy for $30. It has 8GB internal memory but also a SD micro slot which accepts a 64GB card my brother gave me
That is the Sansa Clip. I have the super old version of it from 2008. I have used it every day for years. If yours lasts as long as mine has you might still be using it in 2030.

/WYSD
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:15 AM
~The Fun Has Arrived~

When I had a phone service for my smartphone I paid only $50 bucks per month. The highest amount I will pay for a phone is $150 making the toal abount about $200 with activation fee. There is NO WAY I'm about to pay for a $400, $600 dollar phone. Or pay for a $70 monthly plan and extra for GB. I don't need nothing fancy or flaahy like Apple. It is overrated.

As for cable tv, cable is a rip off. Nothing good is on the tv. Seriously. Basic cable is a joke. And if you get a better plan you pay all that money on channels you barely watch. Then they want extra for movie channels. You do better off getting a dvd player and investing in buying your favorite tv and movies. BOOM. You got yourself your own tv programming.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:28 AM
SAS Member

Apple has really dropped the ball with computing. I was looking for a laptop a few months ago that I can work from when I'm traveling and I couldn't believe how expensive the MacBooks were considering the hardware they came with. The MacBook Pro was ~$2,000 if I remember correctly. I ended up getting an MSI gaming laptop that was twice as powerful, had a dedicated GPU, and was half the price.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page