Help i'm frustrated by amazon kindle tablet - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad

Help i'm frustrated by amazon kindle tablet

PS..TO THE MODS...I THINK I POST THIS ORIGINALLY IN THE WRONG CATEGORY...I DIDN'T REALIZE WE HAD A TECH SUPPORT CATEGORY.

I have a kindle tablet version 7.5.1 And the thing is useless.

Why is it useless ...because of Amazon's insistence on making it COMPLETELY INCOMPATIBLE with anything non-amazon !

It's like they thought of every trick you could use to install a non-Amazon App, and circumvented it.

I have just spent an entire day combing thru youtube trying to find a fix for this to no avail.

1) I cannot download my favourite Apps directly from the internet because almost ALL apps on a search engine are only downloadable thru google play store.

2) When I try downloading GooglePlay store...it says incompatible

3) When I try to use any other type of alternative playstores...it says incompatible.

4) I can transfer any file to the tablet via bluetooth except for ...you guessed it Apps

-I had a backdoor App called Zapya which allowed me to download Apps ...but now I am cannot put it on my Tablet. Zapya works by ceating its own LAN and does the transfer this way. The App has a built in mechanism to transfer itself to another device...it allows you to send the App itself via bluetooth...problem is ..my Kindle's bluetooth does not pick up Apks ...I can bluetooth videos, movies and documents...but when I try to bluetooth an App, I just get an error message on my phone, and it doesnt even register on the tablet that something is going on.

5) Almost all tutorials on "How to download GooglePlay" start with "allow downloads from unknown sources" ...well guess what....that option appears nowhere in my settings menu.

Plus other issues :

The screen keeps oscillating between being hypersensitive to unresponsive
IE sometimes when trying to pulldown the settings menu one of the submenus opens instead, or it opens internet explorer
Other times I have to press the back button 10x just to exit from a particular screen.

Literally the ONLY time this thing works properly is when a book is open. But with the erratic touch sensitivity...just opening a book can take 10min of (other Apps opening instead of the book)

SO yesterday I tried factory reset. Didn't solve anything, now I have lost all of the third party Apps which I had previously (took it to a tech guy some years ago) ...and I can't seem to get any of them back, due to the difficulties I mentioned above.

I am at the point where I think I may just need to save up to by a Samsung Tablet or something.

Maybe the newer kindle tablets have fixed these bugs but honestly...I just CANNOT recommend Kindle to anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:48 AM
☆ Moderator ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIncymon View Post
PS..TO THE MODS...I THINK I POST THIS ORIGINALLY IN THE WRONG CATEGORY...I DIDN'T REALIZE WE HAD A TECH SUPPORT CATEGORY.
I didn't know we had a tech support category, either. Where is it?

I don't think Kindles were meant to be used as a person's only tablet, from what I've seen of them. They might be good for Internet browsing and the apps that work on them, but they're probably mostly meant to be used for reading eBooks and checking a few apps or websites when you need to, sort of like a "light" tablet used for travelling or portability. Most apps don't seem to be supported, and they would be better for people who already have a different tablet instead of it being the only one. It would depend on what you're using it for. For some people, they would be worth getting.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:01 AM
Certified Human

My Mood: Devilish
Kindle's OS is not android. You will never be able to install android apps on a kindle. A kindle is only meant to be used in order to read books, it's an e-book reader, not a tablet.

I know that because I also have a kindle.

Honestly, you're asking too much of a device whose sole purpose is to open mobi/pdf files (it doesn't even support epub books.)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:37 AM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

I have a Samsung tablet with a Kindle app, which may not be quite as good as a Fire for reading books, but it's more versatile. My wife has a Fire and loves it, but she only uses it for reading books.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:41 AM
The Groat King

I am running regular Android apps on a Kindle HD8 tablet but they must be side loaded.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Memory View Post
I didn't know we had a tech support category, either. Where is it?

I don't think Kindles were meant to be used as a person's only tablet, from what I've seen of them. They might be good for Internet browsing and the apps that work on them, but they're probably mostly meant to be used for reading eBooks and checking a few apps or websites when you need to, sort of like a "light" tablet used for travelling or portability. Most apps don't seem to be supported, and they would be better for people who already have a different tablet instead of it being the only one. It would depend on what you're using it for. For some people, they would be worth getting.
I know right.

I have an App called "anybooks" on my phone that I wanted to use on the Kindle, but surprise it doesnt work either.

It seems to only work just if you open a book on a PDF viewer..and literally nothing else. Internet browsing is ...slow and movies...well it sometimes works.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 07:10 PM
SAS Member

?

As I understand it, Kindle (i.e. Amazon) isn't meant to replace or target exactly the same folk as Android or iOS does nor is it providing content the same way that they do.

One possible explanation for why your tablet can no longer receive anything Google is quite possibly some patch has prevented you from doing so. How you've still managed to remain unsuccessful even after a factory reset leads me to believe it simply may no longer be possible via Amazon's Kindle devices but I'd have to double-check that.

As for why some options don't show up in your settings... to put it simply: Kindle is not Google's Android. It's based on it, but it's been as fixed and as rigged as iOS has on Apple devices.

It's basically a "what if Apple did Android"—which is why Amazon makes it very hard to get anything outside of Amazon-approved stuff on its devices. Much like how only Apple-approved stuff is on iOS.

Hope this helps. I'd look into the issue for you but I'd honestly just get a new tablet at this point—preferably one that is truly Android (and would still then be able to run Amazon apps).

Though I have always made it my practice to be pleasant to everybody, I have not once actually experienced friendship. I have only the most painful recollections of my various acquaintances ..."
― Osamu Dazai, No Longer Human
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Random Guy View Post
As I understand it, Kindle (i.e. Amazon) isn't meant to replace or target exactly the same folk as Android or iOS does nor is it providing content the same way that they do.

One possible explanation for why your tablet can no longer receive anything Google is quite possibly some patch has prevented you from doing so. How you've still managed to remain unsuccessful even after a factory reset leads me to believe it simply may no longer be possible via Amazon's Kindle devices but I'd have to double-check that.

As for why some options don't show up in your settings... to put it simply: Kindle is not Google's Android. It's based on it, but it's been as fixed and as rigged as iOS has on Apple devices.

It's basically a "what if Apple did Android"—which is why Amazon makes it very hard to get anything outside of Amazon-approved stuff on its devices. Much like how only Apple-approved stuff is on iOS.

Hope this helps. I'd look into the issue for you but I'd honestly just get a new tablet at this point—preferably one that is truly Android (and would still then be able to run Amazon apps).
Yea....its just that, the Kindle tablet was a gift from my girl years ago in university...so I was trying to stretch the useful of it.
But its like...as the years go by (obviously it updates itself via internet) the HARDER/ MORE RESISTANT it gets to run android programs on it.

Hacks that previously worked for me have been overridden. Before I could transfer Apk files from my computer to the kindle...now even if I do that it still refuses to open saying "incompatible"

Another hack I used to have was an "alternative" playstore App shop...but after the last reset and update...I cannot even open this alternative playstore to begin with.

I managed to download a filesharing App approved from Amazon store...but even when I use it to transfer an android App from my phone...it still won't open them.

plus half the time the screen randomly jumps to different things. IE I would be trying to open a book and the news App will keep opening instead.

It's probably just time I get a Samsung tablet.
Any recommendations ?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 01:03 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
The Kindle tablets are basically just meant to cause you to buy things from Amazon. They don't really care about any other functionality. And they certainly don't want you getting sucked into the Gurgler. Amazon isn't Google and Google isn't Amazon. Competition. They're basically like two girls who like the same guy.

Anyway, I got my Kindle tablet cheap and it does some basic stuff pretty well. The Silk Browser does Youtube very well (actually) and I have often used that while working out to watch youtube vids. I suppose you could do this with a dumbphone if you had one but I don't.

But yeah. It's based on Android but it's their own OS built on top of it (I think). So it kinda looks like Android but isn't. I also use it sometimes to check the status of Amazon orders and have used it during power outages. The battery lasts a long time and that's nice if you wanna watch Youtube without a computer while you wait for the power to come back on.

If you really want Google just get a Google device and be done with it.

/WYSD
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 01:26 PM
SAS Member

Hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIncymon View Post
It's probably just time I get a Samsung tablet.
Any recommendations ?
Yeah, my presumption right now is just that Amazon is making it harder on purpose.... but the only reason I think so is because Amazon owns and runs everything on their own devices, which a Kindle is. They have total reign/governance on what is allowed and what isn't.

My particular pet peeves when choosing a phone/tablet are long-term support, thin profile/large display, and a decent battery (either removable or good quality).

Some things to consider would be camera quality, data storage capacity & expandability, Android upgrades, letting you run lots of apps at one time.

Aside from glossy difference in physical appearance, most Android phones are going to do the same thing. With regards to support, the best bet is to get something recent. Unfortunately, that means more pricey depending on what it is you're looking into having supported as mentioned above. I could look into it, however.

P.S. - This isn't really a technical support forum but rather one for technical discussions. I'm not getting paid for any of this. I just want to help out when I can.

Though I have always made it my practice to be pleasant to everybody, I have not once actually experienced friendship. I have only the most painful recollections of my various acquaintances ..."
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:00 AM
SAS Member

Mine runs chrome and play store just fine tho not all apps from there display correctly
It's the Kindle Fire 8 HD

We've all got a little bit of royal blood in our veins, we're all in line for the succession, and if nineteen million, four hundred thousand, two hundred and eight people die, I'll be king tomorrow. It's not very likely but its a nice thought and helps keep me going.

P.COOK

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:31 PM
SAS Member

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by In a Lonely Place View Post
Mine runs chrome and play store just fine tho not all apps from there display correctly
It's the Kindle Fire 8 HD
Thanks for that. I'll have to look into why his can't get that stuff on there. I haven't really used Amazon products before tbh so I'm just making rough guesses.

Time to consult the Google.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Well mine was a kindlefire 7
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 06:47 PM
SAS Member

If that "allow from unknown sources" isn't working, then I'm thinking rooting might have been something that person did to your tablet before—which usually isn't recommended for security reasons.

EDIT: Removed known non-solution from post.

Last edited by That Random Guy; 08-03-2019 at 06:52 PM. Reason: edit_content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page