Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:01 PM
All Nightmare Long

My Mood: Twisted
Micro-transactions sold in triple A games
Modding on consoles
Bethesda's paid mod Fiasco
Fallout 76
Kickstarter campaigns(many devs running away with the money)
Early access Pre-Alpha survival games.
No Man's Sky
The Order 1886
Ubisoft Downgrades
Alien: Colonial Marines
Duke Nukem Forever
Half-Life 3

Gather your party before venturing forth. And if you don't have a party, at least you don't have to wait on anyone.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:35 PM
Don
Fupa King

Language: English
Microtransactions, loot boxes, over priced dlc, every game is/has a battle royale. EA is still bad. Bethesda used to be good. From Software, CD Project Red, and Nintendo, and a few others are the gaming industries only hopes.

EDIT: Also every game that is slightly difficult, according to gaming journalists, is "like Dark Souls" or "Souls-like"

The Elder Scrolls Skyrim, but released like 4 times. Skyrim for Alexa.

Life's Wack

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:47 AM
All Nightmare Long

Oh, I forgot about Diablo Immortal and "do you guys not have phones?"

And also "Elder Scroll: Blades, at it's heart, is a pure Elder Scrolls game."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post

EDIT: Also every game that is slightly difficult, according to gaming journalists, is "like Dark Souls" or "Souls-like"
Total cringe when you see journalist, streamers or gamers says that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
The Elder Scrolls Skyrim, but released like 4 times. Skyrim for Alexa.
Lmao. I'm still waiting for Skyrim 2.

Gather your party before venturing forth. And if you don't have a party, at least you don't have to wait on anyone.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:19 PM
MAGA

Elite: Dangerous - first realized modeled galaxy simulator/game
GTA V: biggest realized detailed cityscape/driving game (mature rating as it comes with a lot of lowlife aspects and cussing.)
VR seems to have become a solid sub genre.

next proper Elder Scrolls game seems postponed past 2020.
A new revival of space games, but major planned titles , "Starfield", "Cyberpunk 2077", etc. not expected until post 2020.

(I don't really follow console nor most mmo games. )

More yt channel comments outspoken about the greedy or "bad" state of corporate made games these days like "WAB", funny and blunt reviews to get an idea. (Visuals and hardware are extremely improved in general, but games in general have fallen in quality.)
https://www.youtube.com/user/Worthabuyguys
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkD81hiBJh0
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:30 PM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
Mass Effect Andromeda happened.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:38 PM
SAS Member

you guys are such negative nancies..

a
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:03 AM
The Meditator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOne View Post
you guys are such negative nancies..
Tell us about the positive things that have happened.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 05:21 AM
All Nightmare Long

Epic Store
Ouya
Anita Sharkeesian
Google Stadia
Mighty Number 9
Star Citizen

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 05:53 AM
Orange Alert

My Mood: Worried
The good:

- Refunds are now easier to get.
- F2P games are generally less flagrantly Pay2Win than in the mid-2000s.

The bad:

- Full-price AAA games that still try to fleece you with microtransactions.
- Ownership of games is becoming an almost alien concept to the masses who are okay with Steam DRM. It'll get even worse if this streaming BS takes off.
- Obnoxious, cringeworthy yank politics seeping into games and being used to pander to demographics or manufacture controversy. Even moreso in games ''journalism''.
- Games come out even more broken than ever before.
- Preorders up the wazoo, because why even wait for the reviews to come in so you can make an informed decision?
- Bethesda managed to turn a classic single-player turn-based RPG into a multiplayer survival game with no NPCs but lots of microtransactions.
- Everyone wants to vendor-lock customers on their ****y little DRM platform. EA, Ubisoft, Epic, Activision, they all want a cut of Steam's pie.
- Steam is now the dumping ground for every glue-sniffing 12-year-old that cobbles pirated Unity assets together and calls it a ''game'', usually with lots of stale memes included. Valve thinks its algorithms will prevent good indie games from being drowned in the sea of this ****. They don't.
- EA are still rotting everything they lay hands on.
- ''Atari'' (Infogrames wearing Atari's rotting skin) is an unholy champion of corruption, everything they do is tainted with failure and disdain towards the customer.
- ''Early Access'' games, i.e. games in an alpha or beta stage of development being sold for money, with players paying to be bug testers on a shell of a game. With no obligation on the part of the developer to actually ever finish it.
- Lootboxes, i.e. gambling without any chance of getting actual money back and without knowing your odds of ''winning''.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:33 AM
too much sausage

Language: rambling
ff7 remake announced, in 2015.
star citizen was funded and has gained controversy as some suspect the game will never be finished. development began for it in 2011.
nintendo went from being shunned by a lot of gamers to being respected.
ps3 got better, ps4 launched, sold like crazy.
retro game prices went to stupid town.
minecraft took over the world for a while.
sjw's became decision makers for videogame content.
bugthesda finally were seen for what they are (I saw this one coming from a mile away)
people now make a living from playing videogames on youtube.

I like donuts
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:35 PM
It's not easy being green

Language: Bocce... it's like a second language to me.
What everyone else has posted about covers it. Long story short, the industry is trying to squeeze every cent they can out of consumers now.

In 2008 you'd pay $60 for a game. Now you'll pay that $60, plus another $100 or more in dlcs, and maybe a few hundred more in microtransactions (which will likely be randomized). That is, if you want the complete game. Or you could go crowd fund Star Citizen. A game that is still not finished, and has packages that range into the thousands. I think there are ones as high as $20,000 or more. So yeah...

If life were easy, it wouldn't be difficult.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:22 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
I haven't seen anything appealing for a long time. video games peaked from mid 80s to mid 90s.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:24 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchness View Post
Tell us about the positive things that have happened.
im sure those wouldnt get shot down lol

a
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:44 PM
The Meditator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOne View Post
im sure those wouldnt get shot down lol
Come on man, be positive.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:31 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelyboy08 View Post
What did I miss?
Some good games came out, but also some bad ones came out as well. I hope this helped.

"I never lose. I either win or learn something."
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:12 AM
SAS Member

Language: German, English
you guys forgot the best part: now ALL games are full of politics and outrages about political things.

every game release comes now with an outrage from somebody.

also now there are people who only play video games to make money with streaming or youtube lets plays. i dont think that it was that way 2008. at least not as much as today.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:26 AM
Broke boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick + lonely NEET ShutIn View Post
you guys forgot the best part: now ALL games are full of politics and outrages about political things.

also now there are people who only play video games to make money with streaming or youtube lets plays. i dont think that it was that way 2008. at least not as much as today.
Ya, I usually only played for multiplayer/team building with a common focus: kill ****t. i remember games like Halo and WoW were so awesome and simple. Why did video games have to progress so much along with all these dumb mechanics and lack of teamwork like GTA for example has turned into a social event.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:32 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick + lonely NEET ShutIn View Post

It's weird to think how a bunch of people managed to launch Youtube and Streaming careers off of GTA V related content, sure a lot of those channels are dying off these days because they couldn't keep up with current gaming trends but for a few good years they had successful channels.

That wasn't really a thing with pre-2010 Youtube and GTA 4, or perhaps I'm wrong?

Before GTA V even came out people were already milking it for views with 'leaks' and 'wishlist' type videos, then after the game was released everyone were doing let's plays and online gameplay, and once it came to PC the next videos were mod showcases, machinimas and roleplay servers.

There was enough variety in that game to last people years worth of content to stretch out, even today GTA Online RP servers are making a huge comeback and are currently the most watched thing on Twitch at the moment. It's getting way more attention at the moment than RDR2 even!

In one way it's kind of nice but then you also get a lot of phoniness like internet 'celebrities' joining along because it's the current trend and they want to keep up appearances or a lot of small channels trying to make a name for themselves and cash in as well in an already oversaturated market. It makes me hate how when some franchise announces a new game suddenly certain Youtubers and streamers are big fans and milk the hype for views, it feels very insincere.

That just makes me miss when not everyone realized you could make a profit online from gaming related content.

"I never lose. I either win or learn something."
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:45 PM
SAS Member

Language: German, English
Quote:
Originally Posted by HmmmmNiceBike View Post
It's weird to think how a bunch of people managed to launch Youtube and Streaming careers off of GTA V related content, sure a lot of those channels are dying off these days because they couldn't keep up with current gaming trends but for a few good years they had successful channels.

That wasn't really a thing with pre-2010 Youtube and GTA 4, or perhaps I'm wrong?

Before GTA V even came out people were already milking it for views with 'leaks' and 'wishlist' type videos, then after the game was released everyone were doing let's plays and online gameplay, and once it came to PC the next videos were mod showcases, machinimas and roleplay servers.

There was enough variety in that game to last people years worth of content to stretch out, even today GTA Online RP servers are making a huge comeback and are currently the most watched thing on Twitch at the moment. It's getting way more attention at the moment than RDR2 even!

In one way it's kind of nice but then you also get a lot of phoniness like internet 'celebrities' joining along because it's the current trend and they want to keep up appearances or a lot of small channels trying to make a name for themselves and cash in as well in an already oversaturated market. It makes me hate how when some franchise announces a new game suddenly certain Youtubers and streamers are big fans and milk the hype for views, it feels very insincere.

That just makes me miss when not everyone realized you could make a profit online from gaming related content.

i find it also very interesting. i wonder when and how that all started. was it pewdiepie?

there are so many people nowadays who arent real gamers but only play games because they can make money with it. in "earlier times" people just played because they liked the game...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page