Good RPGs - Social Anxiety Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
zkv
SAS Member
 
zkv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 211

Good RPGs


A thread so I can find some games in this mysterious genre. I've played very few 'true' (I guess?) RPGs. Probably played more action games with RPG elements. As for MMOs, I'll never play one of those again. They're boring. Don't let my opinion stop you from enjoying yours, of course.

So I'm looking at a list of these games. I'm aware of/am interested in:

Fallout 1 and 2. I've said this before in some combination of words: **** these great classics. What the hell are they waiting for to remaster and expand them? I use the recommended mods, but there's sooo much room for improvement. They make an online Fallout with no story instead? What the hell?

Fallout: New Vegas. Yeah I'm skipping 3, it's worse than NV in every way other than it featuring the post-apocalyptic city. I didn't even come close to finishing NV, but I was enjoying it. Thirst, hunger, sleep, weapon/ammo crafting, this is all good (and should be included in the originals if they were to remake them); improved dialogue options (based on skills) and faction-based karma are even better. I'm sure I'm forgetting features here, but whatever. I know I'm blowing everyone's effing mind with all this new information.

Baldur's Gate (both of them, I think of them as one game. So I've not finished this game). Not as complex as the Fallout games dialogue-wise, but mechanically it destroys them. I never got good at this game, but my brother carried me. Because he's Sam, the real hero of the story. Anyone play Siege of Dragonspear?

Planescape: Torment. Another D&D-based one, but I hear it's much, much more dialogue-heavy and combat is more of a rare event. I tried it just a little and yes, dialogue is better than Fallout's. So that's good.

Dragon Age: Origins. Both my brother and this forum's own Scrub-Zero have told me this game is bad Baldur's Gate, but I enjoyed it as far as I got into it.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. This could've been better. Mainly because of their idiotic approach to sexuality, but also gameplay stuff, even using the mod. I played it to the end, raised my middle finger and skipped town. All endings suck, and you choose your ending from a list, literally. My character was a female Malkavian which was a great choice both because of the disciplines and the bat**** dialogue options (all of them lol). I changed the model of that character with some tool into the one of a goth girl you can see in the first night club (the one in the white dress). I wouldn't have gone with that clan if I couldn't do that. Anyway this is probably a bad game objectively, but some elements of it were cool.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. I know precious little of this one, but I'll start it as soon as I finish Fallout 2. Creating a character will be a challenge. I see it has a multiplayer component, anyone know how that works?

The Elder Scrolls. Only played Skyrim (which I enjoyed a lot; granted, it's not a deep RPG and putting points into Speech is an absolute waste, so don't) and Daggerfall (which uh... it's hard. Think I've got to make a new guy 'cause uh... it's hard). I hear a lot of people's favorite is Morrowind. Maybe one day I'll try it. Which mods, though?

Divinity: Original Sin. I'm looking at 2 here because co-op, and I have Divine Divinity which looks like more of a Diablo kind of game (didn't really play it, so I could be wrong).

Wasteland 2. Stopped playing it when I realized my main guy was poorly built, but I liked what I played. Like revamped Fallout combat, which is good.

Deus Ex. There's a few of these. I have the first one, but since I'm barely playing games right now I have to focus on finishing games, not starting new ones. But it might be a good one, kind of like VtMB without all the stupid. Good mods?



As always, I'll return when I remember another one. Recommend me more, or comment on one of the ones I mentioned. Or don't. You know, he's either dead or he's alive or the cops got him or they don't.

Flowers will grow from these wounds.
zkv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 05:41 PM
Self isolating from self
 
Fever Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,601
Pathfinder: Kingmaker. It's basically a D&D esque game in the vein of Baulder's Gate, but with a kingdom building element to it.

Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2. You may have already played these, and they're a little dated. Overall though, they're probably still worth time.

Setup progress now at 100% capacity.
Fever Dream is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 06:56 PM
Wayfaring Stranger
 
Scrub-Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,279
My Mood: Twisted
Temple of Elemental Evil.

Get the Circle of Eight mod and you will have a good time with the game. Balances the whole game and fixed bugs. Don't play without it.




Shadowrun for Super Nintendo.

One of my favorite Rpg. Great story, Simple but fun gameplay, Interesting dialogue choices through keywords, and if the music doesn't keep you coming back, nothing will.






Strife/Strife: Veteran Edition:

Not exactly a rpg in the traditional sense, but still close enough to recommend and it's a great game, ahead of it's time. It uses the old doom engine, but you can get quests, talk to people, buy stuff and cool guns.




Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption.


I always liked this one. It was made before Bloodlines and is a more traditional rpg, with some Diablo element.

It's an awkward clunky game, but has a lot of charm. Back in the day you could go online and play through modules that people had made.



Arx Fatalis:

A very interesting game not many people have played I imagine.







Quote:
Originally Posted by zkv View Post

Dragon Age: Origins. Both my brother and this forum's own Scrub-Zero have told me this game is bad Baldur's Gate, but I enjoyed it as far as I got into it.
Ah, I see that your brother is a man of culture as well.

What is a man?
Scrub-Zero is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 07:24 PM
Barbells and kittens
 
JH1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,675
I prefer retro RPGs. Since they moved away from turn based jRPGs to calling FPS games RPGs I haven't found much I like anymore. But off the top of my head here's some great older ones from SNES era to Xbox 360 era.

Final Fantasy 1 through X (6, 7, X, and 4 being the best)
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Breath of Fire series
Fire Emblem series (haven't played all, but the ones I have were good if you like tactical RPGs)
Ogre Battle (another tactical RPG)
I've only played Suikoden 2, but I hear the whole series is good
Lost Odyssey
Xenogears
Posted via Mobile Device
JH1983 is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 07:50 PM
Self isolating from self
 
Fever Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,601
The Outer Worlds. I haven't played this yet. It's made by Obsidian though, so it's worth a try.

System Shock 2. It's the predecessor to the Bioshock series.

Setup progress now at 100% capacity.
Fever Dream is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 09:08 PM
Barbells and kittens
 
JH1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callsign View Post
Earthbound was good I never got to play that when I was a kid as I had Megadrive, and then during a large emulation phase I played through that on a pocket PC. It was like my little Super Nintendo, and gba. I guess the uncommon modern day details in Earthbound made it charming, and it had the humour in it. I guess SNES had more RPGs as well. I tried Chrono Trigger, it was alright as well with the funny frog dude and time travel. FF 6 had a well done intro with the mechs walking though snow. The dark future had an interesting atmosphere with ever present wind, or it was one of those. I wanted to help those people. I think I found Earthbound took the most of my time though as it was different or something.
Earthbound was a little different for an RPG of the era being like a regular modern setting. I remember the Earthbound scratch and sniff things in Nintendo Power magazine when it was released. @Scrub-Zero might remember these too. Haven't thought of them in ages. Also the homesick status ailment was rough if you were deep in a dungeon and the only cure was calling your mom.

Chrono Trigger I rented on SNES right after it came out and the rental copy had a new game plus on it. I played it and ended up beating it over a weekend. Didn't get the good ending because I didn't bring Chrono back and didn't have internet or access to a strategy guide. Did play it on emulator a few years ago and got the best ending though.

I had FF6 reserved on release day at an Electronics Boutique. That opening scene you mentioned with the mechs walking through the snow totally blew my mind as a kid. I'll never forget that. Just found out recently on an FF6 Facebook group that the Android version has some extra content not in the original and I've been meaning to download it.

You mentioned GBA, there were a couple Fire Emblem games on it that were pretty good. Can't remember the names of the ones I played, but they were some of the better tactical RPGs I've played.
Posted via Mobile Device
JH1983 is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 11:42 AM
SAS Member
 
ansi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 73
Avernum. Maybe not best rpg category but I like to play games from this dev in between bigger titles. The game is simpler in certain ways (indie dev) but theirs a huge demo for it and the others in the series. If you like one of this devs games you will probably like most of the others, and this dev (Spiderweb Software) has a large library of games already finished Their site is here https://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/index.html (their on steam too, but not the demos)
ansi is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
zkv
SAS Member
 
zkv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 211
I have an hour+ bus ride in front of me so, let's check some games out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dream View Post
Pathfinder: Kingmaker. It's basically a D&D esque game in the vein of Baulder's Gate, but with a kingdom building element to it.
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
One of the game's distinguishing features is its emphasis on realm-building, with the player's decisions as a local lord affecting the rest of the gameplay as they are embroiled in a world of political intrigue and adventure. Character customization is a key feature, along with an alignment system where a character's alignment can change due to player choice.
This sounds cool. Gimme consequences and I'm happy. I won't be good at kingdom building, but might just scrape through which would be enough. I watched (but didn't listen, since Lucifer ate my earphones. That Lucifer is kind of an *******. Who would've guessed?) a trailer of it and liked the graphics. Also like the choice of turn-based or real-time combat with pausing the action. Not sure it'll run on my currently functioning computer since it's a 2017 game, though, that's the only con. But it's Unity, which I believe could counter that. I hope.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll read and watch some more. Looks good so far. I'm big on story but am wary when reading about them because spoilers, damn spoilers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dream View Post
Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2. You may have already played these, and they're a little dated. Overall though, they're probably still worth time.
These are legendary, aren't they? I've heard good things. And even though I have never gotten into the expanded Star Wars universe, I have a special place in my heart for the original trilogy, and enjoyed the newest trilogy as well. Even the third one which disappointed a lot of people. I actually think The Last Jedi is the weaker one. Rise of Skywalker brought tears to my eyes. Geek pride.

So I'll add you to the people who've said good things about them and keep y'all in mind.

Flowers will grow from these wounds.
zkv is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 12:45 PM
Wayfaring Stranger
 
Scrub-Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,279
My Mood: Twisted
I forgot to mention this game in my last post, but since you like the Fallout games, check out Underrail. It plays a lot like the old Fallout games of yore. It's one hell of a game in my opinion.

here's my favorite reviewer talking about it.


What is a man?
Scrub-Zero is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 02:21 PM
Moderator
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Posts: 31,914
My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dream View Post
Pathfinder: Kingmaker. It's basically a D&D esque game in the vein of Baulder's Gate, but with a kingdom building element to it.

Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2. You may have already played these, and they're a little dated. Overall though, they're probably still worth time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkv View Post
These are legendary, aren't they? I've heard good things. And even though I have never gotten into the expanded Star Wars universe, I have a special place in my heart for the original trilogy, and enjoyed the newest trilogy as well. Even the third one which disappointed a lot of people. I actually think The Last Jedi is the weaker one. Rise of Skywalker brought tears to my eyes. Geek pride.

So I'll add you to the people who've said good things about them and keep y'all in mind.
I have really only dabbled in gaming compared to some people but KOTOR is the first game I think of when someone asks for a really good, immersive RPG. Can't go wrong. Best game I owned for Xbox.
WillYouStopDave is offline  
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 03:15 PM
Socializing with myself
 
EmotionlessThug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York, Flushing
Language: Created my own language for context
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 4,901
I play JRPG like Disgaea 3.

Signature Under Construction - Be back very soon to update knowledge!


In the meantime. I'll perfect my writing techniques.
EmotionlessThug is offline  
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 03:25 PM
Barbells and kittens
 
JH1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmotionlessThug View Post
I play JRPG like Disgaea 3.
I have Disgaea 5 on PS4, got busy with work and haven't finished it yet. Have not played the earlier ones.
Posted via Mobile Device
JH1983 is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 03:46 PM
Socializing with myself
 
EmotionlessThug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York, Flushing
Language: Created my own language for context
Gender: Male
Age: 27
Posts: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1983 View Post
I have Disgaea 5 on PS4, got busy with work and haven't finished it yet. Have not played the earlier ones.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have Disgaea 5 on my external hard drive for my PS4, but I'm also busy myself. I'm a college student. I try playing my PS4 during the weekends to keep up with my trophies. I'm planning to play Disgaea 5 this year, because Disgaea 6 is coming out next year.

http://disgaea.us/d6/

Signature Under Construction - Be back very soon to update knowledge!


In the meantime. I'll perfect my writing techniques.
EmotionlessThug is offline  
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 05:19 PM
Barbells and kittens
 
JH1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmotionlessThug View Post
I have Disgaea 5 on my external hard drive for my PS4, but I'm also busy myself. I'm a college student. I try playing my PS4 during the weekends to keep up with my trophies. I'm planning to play Disgaea 5 this year, because Disgaea 6 is coming out next year.

http://disgaea.us/d6/
It reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics on PS1 gameplay wise. I'm guessing the earlier ones are similar.

Hope 6 becomes available on PS4 or PS5, I don't have a Switch or any plans of getting one. I'm leaning heavily towards PS5 right now unless Xbox really has some great exclusives I don't know about yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
JH1983 is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 01:06 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: State Home for the Ugly
Age: 33
Posts: 4,765
My Mood: Fine
Baldur's Gate 2 is a classic, though I think it's one of those games where you play it now and you wonder how you put up with all the little annoyances back in the day. Even playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker is fiddly and taxing these days, and that game improves on the formula. I would posit that turning a deeply complex turn-based RPG into a real-time one is not the greatest idea once you're actually in combat and have to manage 6 characters. And no, I don't want the AI to control them either, I want to play the damn game myself.
ScorchedEarth is online now  
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 01:18 AM
experimental sincerity
 
rabidfoxes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,185
Mass Effect!!!!!! My favourite game ever.

I haven't played Baldur's Gate but I think it's quite old, so I don't think it's that similar to DragonAge: Origins? I love DA, just lent Origins to a friend and now he's constantly sleep-deprived The annoying thing is that while Origins is very good, the second game in the serious is horrendously bad (the studio even apologised for it).

Also: The Walking Dead by Telltale Games is beautiful and nothing like the series.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
rabidfoxes is offline  
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 01:32 AM
Moderator
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Posts: 31,914
My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorchedEarth View Post
Baldur's Gate 2 is a classic, though I think it's one of those games where you play it now and you wonder how you put up with all the little annoyances back in the day. Even playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker is fiddly and taxing these days, and that game improves on the formula. I would posit that turning a deeply complex turn-based RPG into a real-time one is not the greatest idea once you're actually in combat and have to manage 6 characters. And no, I don't want the AI to control them either, I want to play the damn game myself.
It's strange how well classics do hold up though. Just goes to show that real creative genius is relatively rare. When I was looking to get into RPGs in (I think) late 2004, I asked a guy I knew what was a good one and he recommended Baldur's Gate right away. Which I did try it but didn't like it so I bought KOTOR and Morrowind.
WillYouStopDave is offline  
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
zkv
SAS Member
 
zkv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub-Zero View Post
Temple of Elemental Evil.

Get the Circle of Eight mod and you will have a good time with the game. Balances the whole game and fixed bugs. Don't play without it.
Saw it when searching the Troika games, forgot to mention it. I'll definitely check it out after Arcanum, and will look up that mod. Do these guys ever finish their games?
Quote:
Shadowrun for Super Nintendo.

One of my favorite Rpg. Great story, Simple but fun gameplay, Interesting dialogue choices through keywords, and if the music doesn't keep you coming back, nothing will.
The fact that it’s based on a tabletop setting (and possibly ruleset?) is a plus. Plus it’s probably on the short side compared to most current games which makes it a lot more accessible. What about the Sega Genesis Shadowrun? I know it's a separate game but, you know, in your opinion: worse, better, just plain different?

Oh, I do love me some old game soundtracks. The Lost World: Jurassic Park's (Genesis) soundtrack conjures up my childhood. Used to play it co-op with my brothers. Co-op makes pretty much everything better, don't it?
Quote:
Strife/Strife: Veteran Edition:

Not exactly a rpg in the traditional sense, but still close enough to recommend and it's a great game, ahead of it's time. It uses the old doom engine, but you can get quests, talk to people, buy stuff and cool guns.
I know this one. Found it in my old FPS investigations. Thought it was pretty cool, but stopped playing it for some reason. Likely, at the time I was playing like, Doom, Heretic, Blood and Witchaven (don’t judge me, I grew up on the sequel) at the same time. So many old-school FPSs, so little time…
Quote:
Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption.

I always liked this one. It was made before Bloodlines and is a more traditional rpg, with some Diablo element.

It's an awkward clunky game, but has a lot of charm. Back in the day you could go online and play through modules that people had made.
You know, I thought about playing this before Bloodlines, but the Bloodlines cult won. I’ll try it when/if I get the opportunity.
Quote:
Arx Fatalis:

A very interesting game not many people have played I imagine.
Looked up a vid and I like the graphics a lot. Just the right amount of old. Actually, now that I see it I realize I watched a review some time ago, but didn’t pay too much attention. Looks like my System Shock experience might help a bit with this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub-Zero View Post
I forgot to mention this game in my last post, but since you like the Fallout games, check out Underrail. It plays a lot like the old Fallout games of yore. It's one hell of a game in my opinion.

here's my favorite reviewer talking about it.
I had heard of Underrail too, from a big Fallout fan. Looks clearly influenced by the original Fallouts. When I run out of old RPGs I might just go for it. It's gonna take a lot of time, though.
Quote:
Ah, I see that your brother is a man of culture as well.
He'd find it pretty funny if he heard you saying that. Or maybe that's just me. I find it funny.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dream View Post
The Outer Worlds. I haven't played this yet. It's made by Obsidian though, so it's worth a try.
I'm very interested, but it wouldn't run on my machine I don't think. One day maybe.
Quote:
System Shock 2. It's the predecessor to the Bioshock series.
Everyone seems to agree it's much better than the first one. And I like the first one a lot, it was ahead of its time in some ways. Although I never finished it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidfoxes View Post
Mass Effect!!!!!! My favourite game ever.
Also curious about the Mass Effect games, but I won't touch them until I'm done with Dragon Age.
Quote:
I haven't played Baldur's Gate but I think it's quite old, so I don't think it's that similar to DragonAge: Origins? I love DA, just lent Origins to a friend and now he's constantly sleep-deprived The annoying thing is that while Origins is very good, the second game in the serious is horrendously bad (the studio even apologised for it).
There are similarities with BG for sure. I heard some negative things about II, and that Inquisition takes on some MMO-ish elements. That sounds so bad I'm not sure I'll even try it. But I will continue Origins at some point, it was fun and had dialogue options and consequences.

lold at the sleep-deprived thing. I've so been there.
Quote:
Also: The Walking Dead by Telltale Games is beautiful and nothing like the series.
More of a choose-your-own-adventure but yeah, they're good. Still got to play the last two seasons, and the Michonne episodes.

Flowers will grow from these wounds.
zkv is offline  
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 08:54 AM
SAS Member
 
yeswedreamaboutyoufloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Wraeclast (But actually South America)
Language: Portuguese and English
Gender: Male
Posts: 342
Path of Exile!

"This world is an illusion, exile."
yeswedreamaboutyoufloyd is offline  
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 09:41 AM
Wayfaring Stranger
 
Scrub-Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 14,279
My Mood: Twisted
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeswedreamaboutyoufloyd View Post
Path of Exile!
Who do you fight for, exile?

What is a man?
Scrub-Zero is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome