? for those who still use DVD drives - Social Anxiety Forum
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Posts: 32,337
My Mood: Relaxed

? for those who still use DVD drives


So I have 3 5.25" bays in my PC case but I have populated them with other things that I use more often than my DVD drive (such as a fan controller and hot swap docks for SSDs).

The problem is that I still have a bunch of DVDs that I watch sometimes (primarily concert DVDs) but I don't want to waste a slot on the DVD drive that I removed for that reason. So, I have decided to rip the DVDs I watch most often and put them on flash drives (These are my own DVDs that I bought and I'm using them for my own personal use. I'm not a pirate ).

So I have taken the side panel off my PC and hooked the DVD drive up that way so I don't have to put it back in the PC case and then take it out again and (possibly) have to repeat this procedure every time I need to use the DVD drive. This way, the drive can be connected pretty quickly just by adding a SATA cable.

Anyway, I have found that ripping DVDs is a tedious and slow process and of course now that DVD drives are kind of disappearing from the PC landscape, I'm starting to wonder how hard it is on this drive to have it working in the background for 10 hours a day every day for as many days as I have DVDs to rip.

It doesn't get hot and it it isn't running at full speed but it is still doing work for many hours at a time (reencoding is very slow).

So, has anyone ever worn out a DVD drive this way? I mean, I guess they do wear out eventually but I have honestly never had one die on me. I think it's a reasonably good drive (HL) but in the grand scheme of things, it is ancient. I probably bought it in 2007 or something. Hardly ever used it.
WillYouStopDave is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 08:12 AM
zkv
Problem Dog
 
zkv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 269
Not that way but every DVD drive I've had died without me abusing it. Never worried much about getting quality parts for my PCs though. I don't know how hard what you're doing could be on it.

I'd still do it. DVDs themselves have a very limited lifespan in my experience, even when they're the real deal and you take good care of them.

Flowers will grow from these wounds.
zkv is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 11:01 AM
alien monk
 
andy1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 36
Posts: 8,183
My Mood: Devilish
jesus you must have a lot of DVDs.

I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. ― Mother Teresa
andy1984 is online now  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Posts: 32,337
My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkv View Post
Not that way but every DVD drive I've had died without me abusing it. Never worried much about getting quality parts for my PCs though. I don't know how hard what you're doing could be on it.

I'd still do it. DVDs themselves have a very limited lifespan in my experience, even when they're the real deal and you take good care of them.
Actually, I have some DVDs that are 20 years old and they're fine. Most of mine are at least 10 years old. I've heard of disc rot (or whatever it is) but none of mine have it.
WillYouStopDave is online now  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 08:03 PM
Discord all the way
 
Fun Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5,365
You busted your DVD drive. smh


I wouldn't have ran it for 10 hours a day. Do you rip DVDs just because or is it like your job?
Fun Spirit is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 08:42 PM
📝📸🎬💾🎲⚾🚀⛰🍪💡
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: California Republic
Language: '̸̼̩̑́̄͆̾͆̿́̕ṅ̶͒́
Age: 40
Posts: 6,596
If space in the tower is the issue, why not just get an enclosure so you can plug in the DVD drive via USB whenever you want to watch something? I haven't used a DVD enclosure, but based on hard drive enclosures I'd guess you could get something for $10.

Ripping DVDs is very tediously slow, for sure. And oddly loud. But I very much doubt it'll damage the drive. And it hardly matters if it does because a used DVD drive has got to be dirt cheap these days.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
Paul is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Posts: 32,337
My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheska View Post
Why use flash drives when you could just put all the films on a single external HD? Those are relatively cheap, or if you have an old HD lying around, you could just convert that. My thought is that sooner or later, you'd have to repeat this process with flash drives...
Because I already have some relatively high capacity flash drives that I wasn't using and free is better than cheap. I don't have any mechanical HDDs. My system is all SSD.

Anyway, my goal is just to take using a DVD drive at all out of the equation. I have flash drives that I have been using every day for many years. They're reliable enough for what I need. I'm sure they won't last forever but they will last probably until large capacity SSDs are much more reasonably priced than they are right now. At which point, I will transfer it all onto an SSD. I just don't want to put any more money into mechanical drives when SSDs are already coming down.

I don't have a ton of DVDs that I watch frequently anyway (I do have an actual DVD player in the living room). Like I said, I just have maybe 20 - 25 concert DVDs that I watch from time to time

Ripping the DVDs isn't really hard on my PC because it's cooling system is massively overbuilt. I don't think it really taxes the drive either. I just don't want the drive to perish before I get what I need out of it. I'm broke and unemployed and my parents aren't generous when it comes to stuff I don't need to live.
WillYouStopDave is online now  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Posts: 32,337
My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Lady View Post
You busted your DVD drive. smh


I wouldn't have ran it for 10 hours a day. Do you rip DVDs just because or is it like your job?
No. I didn't. I was just wondering if they are fragile because I have never used one as heavily as I'm doing now.
WillYouStopDave is online now  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 08:56 AM
Discord all the way
 
Fun Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
No. I didn't. I was just wondering if they are fragile because I have never used one as heavily as I'm doing now.


Oh
Fun Spirit is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Posts: 32,337
My Mood: Relaxed
In other news, the DVD drive is not as ancient as I thought it was. I had thought that it must have been purchased around 2006 or so because that's the last time I remember really buying anything like that. But I looked at the sticker on the drive and the date on there is 2012. Kinda odd. I don't remember buying a DVD drive in 2012. Things were already not going so well by then.
WillYouStopDave is online now  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 06:44 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴
 
zonebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Florida, Oosa
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,256
My Mood: Inspired
From my understanding, it usually is the motor which spins the disk that goes first, followed by the the slider that holds the laser, and then the laser itself that starts to wear out. On some DVD, CDs, etc there is actually a means on the circuit board to increase the intensity of the laser but eventually even that just wears out and becomes useless. I have an older PS2 I had bought back in the days that dinos roamed the earth, and much like yourself started to worry about the longevity of the DVD player itself, amazingly it still works but I did not want to rely on it for long. Much like yourself, I started to backup my games and store them to flash and HDD and play them from such media as well.


I think you will be okay for a long while to come though, disk players will probably be around for a long time, if for no other reason than the disk format is still really popular today - a lot of stores still are selling them right now. I would imagine another decade or more even if disks were to stop selling this instant. I think it will remain profitable for people to make players for CDs, DVDs, and so on for a while to come. ((I mean hell, they are still selling VCRs online and it was not that long ago that you could find some in stores))

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
zonebox is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 06:47 PM
Failure's Art
 
either/or's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,289
Can you get DVD stuff put on a thumb drive? Like st Staples or something?

I recently had an MRI and they gave me the pictures on a CD/DVD. I was like why is it on a CD, CD drives aren't a thing anymore can you put it on a thumb drive or email it to me, por favor? No sir, now please take your useless late 90s storage media and vacate the premises. I'm lucky they didn't give me a floppy disk or a magnetic tape reel.

Not that I would know what I'm looking at but I wanted to see the pictures. I guess maybe my doctor will have a CD drive and can look at the images, hopefully.

too scared to live; too scared to die
either/or is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Posts: 32,337
My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by either/or View Post
Can you get DVD stuff put on a thumb drive? Like st Staples or something?

I recently had an MRI and they gave me the pictures on a CD/DVD. I was like why is it on a CD, CD drives aren't a thing anymore can you put it on a thumb drive or email it to me, por favor? No sir, now please take your useless late 90s storage media and vacate the premises. I'm lucky they didn't give me a floppy disk or a magnetic tape reel.

Not that I would know what I'm looking at but I wanted to see the pictures. I guess maybe my doctor will have a CD drive and can look at the images, hopefully.
I don't know where you'd be able to have that done but someone probably does it as long as it's not a copy protected Hollywood movie or something. If you actually have a CD/DVD drive in your PC, you can probably do it yourself. They're probably just standard PDF files or something that you can just copy.
WillYouStopDave is online now  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 07:12 PM
Failure's Art
 
either/or's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I don't know where you'd be able to have that done but someone probably does it as long as it's not a copy protected Hollywood movie or something. If you actually have a CD/DVD drive in your PC, you can probably do it yourself. They're probably just standard PDF files or something that you can just copy.

Well that's the thing, I don't have a CD or DVD drive in my PC or laptop. I have a Blu-ray player hooked up to my TV but nothing on my PC. I honestly didn't even think they made them for PCs anymore. That's why I was surprised they gave me the CD. Its probably cheaper for them to put in on a CD I guess rather than a flash drive.

too scared to live; too scared to die
either/or is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 07:16 PM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
 
tehuti88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: At the bottom of Lake Algonquin (Michigan)
Language: English
Gender: Female
Age: 44
Posts: 29,013
My Mood: Crappy
I've been hovering over this thread out of curiosity since it was posted since I find myself in a vaguely similar situation as I've just finished ripping all my CDs to MP3. I even found a site/app that lets me store and stream them for free (not at original kbps though) since Google Play Music is no more and YouTube Music sucks.

Piggybacking here, speaking of SSD external drives (I know I'm mangling the terminology, I'm new to this), anyone have any recommendations for good ones...? Reliable and with a decent amount of space but not outlandishly priced? Knowing practically nothing about all this except that SSD is apparently better than regular external hard drives because of the no moving parts, I'd like to look into getting one sometime. I tend to hoard digital things... >_> I'm not familiar with many brands other than WD.

I got a new laptop earlier in the month and apparently rather than making hard drives bigger, they're making them smaller (and without CD drives ) but switching to SSD and expect people to store things in the cloud. I do that already but an offline backup would be good. I feel like I'm not backing my stuff up well enough, I want to do better.

And do things keep their metadata when stored on external drives...? I notice when I put things with metadata on flash drives it warns me it's stripping the metadata from some of them first. That would suck with all the work I've put into my MP3s.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

***

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

***

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
tehuti88 is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Posts: 32,337
My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuti88 View Post
I've been hovering over this thread out of curiosity since it was posted since I find myself in a vaguely similar situation as I've just finished ripping all my CDs to MP3. I even found a site/app that lets me store and stream them for free (not at original kbps though) since Google Play Music is no more and YouTube Music sucks.

Piggybacking here, speaking of SSD external drives (I know I'm mangling the terminology, I'm new to this), anyone have any recommendations for good ones...? Reliable and with a decent amount of space but not outlandishly priced? Knowing practically nothing about all this except that SSD is apparently better than regular external hard drives because of the no moving parts, I'd like to look into getting one sometime. I tend to hoard digital things... >_> I'm not familiar with many brands other than WD.

I got a new laptop earlier in the month and apparently rather than making hard drives bigger, they're making them smaller (and without CD drives ) but switching to SSD and expect people to store things in the cloud. I do that already but an offline backup would be good. I feel like I'm not backing my stuff up well enough, I want to do better.

And do things keep their metadata when stored on external drives...? I notice when I put things with metadata on flash drives it warns me it's stripping the metadata from some of them first. That would suck with all the work I've put into my MP3s.
For SSDs, they have (relatively) reasonably priced 1TB ones now ("reasonable" as in about $100 I think). As far as brands, the only brand I have long-term experience with is Samsung. I can give the Samsung SSDs a big thumbs up on performance and reliability.

Choosing an SSD is quite a bit more complicated than choosing a mechanical HDD because it depends on what you want. There are SSDs that look like this -



But these are the ones I use...



I like those because they're more convenient to use with an external dock.

I have this...



And I love it. Except if you use it with an SSD you will not get full SATA speed. Which is OK if you don't mind waiting a little while for transfers.

I have also used the Kingston ones....



Which appeal to me primarily because they're less expensive than Samsung (but a bit on the slower side and probably not as reliable (but I don't know about the reliability for a fact)).

Ummmm. As far as I know metadata should be copied along with everything else. I have never noticed song metadata (for example) being stripped when stored on external media. I wouldn't think this would be something that is supposed to happen, since digital cameras use flash cards and the metadata obviously is there.

I have only ever seen metadata get stripped when I specifically ask a program to strip it. Which is hardly ever. But don't take my word as gospel. I have a copy of my music library on a flash drive and all the metadata is there. What program are you using to transfer your files?
WillYouStopDave is online now  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 07:35 PM
Not like the other ducks
 
Persephone The Dread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: 8800 blue lick road
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Posts: 40,865
@tehuti88

I bought my first ssd a year ago, but it's internal. I don't store much on it, and mostly use it just to install programs on so they run faster. I have an external hdd for other stuff. At the moment ssds are considerably more expensive so from what I know I'm not sure it's worth buying one for storage atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

Persephone The Dread is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome