Almost 10 years later and Skyrim still rules - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2021, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: Portuguese and English

Almost 10 years later and Skyrim still rules

I just started playing it again, and even after almost 10 years, this game still rules and is amazing! I even added some mods and the game looks more beautiful than ever. Looking forward to Skyrim 6. Just kidding, guys. I know it's The Elder Scrolls VI. What are your opinions on this masterpiece?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2021, 10:40 AM
Alien

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I haven't played in several years though I never did finish it 100% (finished the main quest, and many other questlines but there's lots to do.) I imagine all the mods really increase longevity. I may go back to it at some point but I'm focussed on other things atm. More likely I'll go back to Oblivion at some point in the future because there's some questlines I want to make video content about.

Skyrim was the last game I was seriously excited about tbh. I bought it on release on console because my PC needing fixing at the time (edit: I did buy it on PC later, I have like multiple copies of Skyrim and have played/owned several copies of Oblivion including one an ex house mate randomly gave me because he wanted to get rid of it and I guess no one else would take it lol..) I remember I was actually visiting my family and brought my ps3 and the console copy down with me because it came out the same weekend lmfao. I was really excited about the college of Winterhold. So yeah those games are pretty much some of the only things that can create that reaction. When I first started the Shivering Isles quest line in Oblivion I was like 'OMFG' I became quite addicted to Oblivion for a while when I was about 17.

I'm hoping the next game isn't disappointing given the way the Fallout series has gone (though I haven't played Fallout 4 etc, but heard people talking about it.) There's been such a long gap now that it might well not live up to expectations.

Oh yeah the Dragonborn expansion is really good too, it made me want an HD version of Morrowind though tbh. All of the Daedric lore/questlines are really interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2021, 11:21 AM
Wayfaring Stranger

My Mood: Twisted
The vanilla Skyrim by Bethesda is a shallow and hand-holding dumbed down sweetroll, i mean compared to Morrowind. It's like you're a baby being led everywhere and opponents aren't too hard or too weak, they are basically the same as you because they level with you. It shines way more with good mods like Requiem and survival mods like Frostfall where it's silly as a new fresh adventurer to think you can take endless hordes of wolves or bears with an iron sword and travel all over cold Skyrim in basically a t-shirt without freezing to death in -40c snowstorms.

But I know a lot of people like the vanilla experience though so to each their own i guess.

That said, i'm playing Skyrim special edition now with Requiem and having some fun. When im forced to do guerrilla tactics with your basic bandits to survive, i know i found the right kind of gameplay for me.

What is a man?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2021, 04:00 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub-Zero View Post
But I know a lot of people like the vanilla experience though so to each their own i guess.
Yeah, some of us are too poor to buy DLC and too technologically challenged to figure out why the mods keep breaking the damn game xD

I played through Skyrim once, when it first came out. For like 200 hours. I had finished every major quest, every minor quest, and was working on all the stupid collection quests. It was three o'clock in the morning, both in real life and in the game. I was swimming through the water, way up north on the map, looking for crystal 8 out of 400 or something like that. And I just had this epiphany where I was like, "... what am I even doing with my life anymore?"

And then I shut down the game, went to sleep, and never picked it back up again lol
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2021, 08:59 PM
Loathed Loiterer

I've only played like less than half way. And I instead started playing with the mods and become more drawn to the rendering and environment. Eventually I got another computer and never bothered to reinstall the game again and migrate the saved files.

Always been tempted to replay it again, or try Elder Scrolls Online. But at this point of my life, I highly doubt I will stick to playing it enough to make a subscription worth it. The simple free-to-play games on my phone where I can play anytime I want on the go are more appealing to me currently. But I do miss the times of having the motivation to just sit around and play games for an hour or two nearly every evening to relax and end the day. It just doesn't bring me the enjoyment like it use to.

What goes up, will inevitably come back down. Whoever you have to step on when you go up, you will be at their mercy when you go down.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 09:35 AM
Orb
😷

I'm one of those people who have tried many different versions of the game. PS3, PC vanilla, PC Special Edition, PC with mods. I actually love Skyrim VR too. But despite all of that, it's never topped Oblivion. I don't know what it is, perhaps it's because it was the first open world game I really got into - whether it be the main or side quests, the graphics (at the time). I felt completely immersed when I played.

There's a third world, the world of objective contents of thoughts. Teilhard de Chardin calls this third world the "Neurosphere", that is, the world of the mind.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 09:52 AM
Mad Scientist

Oh dear, it's been 10 years since Skyrim came out?

super chill and mentally ill.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 02:20 PM
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticradio725 View Post
Yeah, some of us are too poor to buy DLC and too technologically challenged to figure out why the mods keep breaking the damn game xD
haha, yes mods are a hard to tame beast in elderscroll. Less so with Special edition due to the updated engine. But i broke a lot of games and characters because of mods in Oldrim. Spend hours installing mods only to have the game crash randomly and force me remove mod by mod until the problem was found or to reinstall fresh in a few cases. But now with mod organizer installing mods in completely different folders, this happens a lot less.

And true for DLCs. And its obviously much simpler to play the vanilla game with little to no mods, but it's a pretty stale experience, at least for me. Id never ever play again rather than play vanilla if i didnt have access to mods.

Im not a trophy or achievement gamer personally so all that stuff does not matter to me haha. I'm a different generation of gamers, before DLCs and achievements, micro-transaction and online only connections. I can't imagine wasting hours and hours finding every little collectibles in a game. Yikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
I'm one of those people who have tried many different versions of the game. PS3, PC vanilla, PC Special Edition, PC with mods. I actually love Skyrim VR too. But despite all of that, it's never topped Oblivion. I don't know what it is, perhaps it's because it was the first open world game I really got into - whether it be the main or side quests, the graphics (at the time). I felt completely immersed when I played.
Each Elderscroll got worse and worse. Not worse in the sense that they are terrible games but more dumbed down and feature-less and more and more hand holding to cater to a bigger number of players at the cost of the more hardcore fans who wanted a game like Daggerfall or Morrowind with Skyrim's graphics.

What is a man?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 02:51 PM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
I used to mod the **** out of this game. I even have a couple of mods up on Steam. (Not going to tell you what they are, though. )

If I were independently wealthy, I probably would have spent my entire life modding Bethesda games. (Used to mod Oblivion and Fallout 3, too. I was one of the first modders to get a working custom creature in Oblivion. Looked like crap, but it worked, haha.)

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 03:25 PM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
i played it, but i found it a bit hokey.

I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. ― Mother Teresa
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 04:59 PM
Alien

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
The vanilla Skyrim by Bethesda is a shallow and hand-holding dumbed down sweetroll, i mean compared to Morrowind. It's like you're a baby being led everywhere and opponents aren't too hard or too weak, they are basically the same as you because they level with you. It shines way more with good mods like Requiem and survival mods like Frostfall where it's silly as a new fresh adventurer to think you can take endless hordes of wolves or bears with an iron sword and travel all over cold Skyrim in basically a t-shirt without freezing to death in -40c snowstorms.

That said, i'm playing Skyrim special edition now with Requiem and having some fun. When im forced to do guerrilla tactics with your basic bandits to survive, i know i found the right kind of gameplay for me.
Oh yeah I downloaded Frostfall and also a mod which requires you to eat (forget the name now.) I once ended up dying in the sea I think, it does help add to the immersion. I also downloaded a really basic one that just allows you to sit in the hotsprings (or maybe it was a general sitting mod, but either way.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 05:52 PM
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
I used to mod the **** out of this game. I even have a couple of mods up on Steam. (Not going to tell you what they are, though. )

If I were independently wealthy, I probably would have spent my entire life modding Bethesda games. (Used to mod Oblivion and Fallout 3, too. I was one of the first modders to get a working custom creature in Oblivion. Looked like crap, but it worked, haha.)
I love those creature mods. Ive used them in Morrowind to Skyrim and Fallout 3. Makes the game so much more immersive. What i like also are mods that add some passive creatures like farm animals or like animallica for Skyrim.

Now i want to know what mods you made lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Oh yeah I downloaded Frostfall and also a mod which requires you to eat (forget the name now.) I once ended up dying in the sea I think, it does help add to the immersion. I also downloaded a really basic one that just allows you to sit in the hotsprings (or maybe it was a general sitting mod, but either way.)
I never play without Frostfall or a Needs system. I just like how it makes it all more realistic. And there's another mod that make NPCs dress up in bad weather so that adds to it. I like the hunting and camping mods too lol. It's fun to camp through the night. I guess I like Skyrim when it's like a survival game but without gathering 500 wood and grass to make an axe lol. Just the basic survival stuff.

What is a man?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2021, 04:37 AM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
I love those creature mods. Ive used them in Morrowind to Skyrim and Fallout 3. Makes the game so much more immersive. What i like also are mods that add some passive creatures like farm animals or like animallica for Skyrim.
I like stuff like that, too. I made a bunch of custom clutter and furnishings for Oblivion, and had started on a new tileset, but I didn't release most of that stuff and then my harddrive crashed and I lost everything. Thousands of hours of work. That was before everything was on the cloud.

I like the needs mods, too. I was also working on overhauling the NPC AI in Oblivion for more realistic interactions. I made a couple superpowers for Fallout 3 using the perks system. (For a post-apoc superhero conversion.)

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2021, 09:36 AM
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
I like stuff like that, too. I made a bunch of custom clutter and furnishings for Oblivion, and had started on a new tileset, but I didn't release most of that stuff and then my harddrive crashed and I lost everything. Thousands of hours of work. That was before everything was on the cloud.
Yeah they change the games so much. It's a shame the gaming companies always cut corners with creature variety, and everything else really lol.

And that's a shame you lost all that work. Truly sorry for that. Damn.

Quote:
I like the needs mods, too. I was also working on overhauling the NPC AI in Oblivion for more realistic interactions.
Oh God, oblivion interaction haha. It was so funny sometimes. Honestly, i'm not sure if Skyrim or Obvlivion is worse for that. It made me miss Morrowind when NPCs only talked to you.

Quote:
I made a couple superpowers for Fallout 3 using the perks system. (For a post-apoc superhero conversion.)

That's so cool and really, exactly what a silly semi-serious game like Fallout needed. Super hero powers like breathing fire or having a radiation forcefield discharges when you take damage in melee etc.

What is a man?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2021, 06:17 PM
Failure's Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticradio725 View Post
. It was three o'clock in the morning, both in real life and in the game. I was swimming through the water, way up north on the map, looking for crystal 8 out of 400 or something like that. And I just had this epiphany where I was like, "... what am I even doing with my life anymore?"

haha I actually loled irl at this

You live up in your head
Scared of every little noise
Someone's always breaking in accidentally
Using nothing but their voice

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page