Zoloft (sertraline) [SSRI] - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 481 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 06:17 AM
SAS Member

Sertraline is giveing me prob,s

i have a prob, my 100mg of sertraline my theraputic dose is failing . The tell tale sign,s of anxierty an mood swings, i have gone to 150mg in the last week, But i have to wait to see if i will improve, or if the med is pooping out an im adding more grief. Its a major blow to me as 100mg worked cool for a year an the side effects were bearable. I had the usual orgasm probs , but nothing major. Now i no 150 mg is going to nuke the sex side, an give more side effects,But i have no choise as i have tried to ride out the down feelings for weeks. i could change meds but to what, in my life i have been on most, an sertraline is about the best all round med.So have any of you guys gone up from 100 to 150 an had a cool result. If so how long before the extra 50mg kicked in. You would think adding the extra 50 mg would work straight away , but it dont work like that, at the moment im worse for taking the extra but i have to see it out. anyone out there done the same as im doing , an how long before results kicked in or not as the case may be.An are you glad you upped the dose./////////// FEED BACK WOULD BE COOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 481 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 04:16 PM
SAS Member

Maybe you could alternate 100mg and 150mg and see if that helps without increasing the sides too much...

So for example, mon 100 tues 150 wed 100 thurs 150 and so on

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
i have a prob, my 100mg of sertraline my theraputic dose is failing . The tell tale sign,s of anxierty an mood swings, i have gone to 150mg in the last week, But i have to wait to see if i will improve, or if the med is pooping out an im adding more grief. Its a major blow to me as 100mg worked cool for a year an the side effects were bearable. I had the usual orgasm probs , but nothing major. Now i no 150 mg is going to nuke the sex side, an give more side effects,But i have no choise as i have tried to ride out the down feelings for weeks. i could change meds but to what, in my life i have been on most, an sertraline is about the best all round med.So have any of you guys gone up from 100 to 150 an had a cool result. If so how long before the extra 50mg kicked in. You would think adding the extra 50 mg would work straight away , but it dont work like that, at the moment im worse for taking the extra but i have to see it out. anyone out there done the same as im doing , an how long before results kicked in or not as the case may be.An are you glad you upped the dose./////////// FEED BACK WOULD BE COOL
post #43 of 481 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 02:57 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric69 View Post
Maybe you could alternate 100mg and 150mg and see if that helps without increasing the sides too much...

So for example, mon 100 tues 150 wed 100 thurs 150 and so on
no i carnt see that working only makeing things worse. you add 50mg an take it away the next day an add it the next .that means you are detoxing 1 day, an giveing it back the next. your brain would nuke its self. but thanks

post #44 of 481 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 09:32 PM
SAS Member

Two years on Zoloft mostly good

Social Anxiety Background
I've been shy all my life. My social anxiety intensified greatly as a young adult. I believe both of my parents and many relatives on my Dad's side also have social anxiety.

I have also suffered from depression off and on throughout my life and also experienced self-mutilation. I think my depression is partly caused by the way social anxiety affects my life.

Other Treatments
Talk therapy and some exposure. I have been exercising regularly for almost 3 years to help with depression.

Treatment Experience
I went on Zoloft (50 mg) because I was extremely depressed and moody. I was planning to travel internationally and I desperately wanted to be sane enough to have a good experience. After taking it for a few weeks, I started to feel happier. It was amazing to feel good again. I had also taken up running a few months before that, and I think that also helped a lot.

I didn't take Zoloft for SAD, but it did help my SAD significantly. I had the time of my life traveling, then came home and started working more intensely on the exposure therapy. I don't think the Zoloft would have helped me with SAD as much if I hadn't been doing exposure.

Over time it felt like the medication became less effective. I also had some episodes where I felt very suicidal, particularly after drinking alcohol. That scared me, so I stopped taking the medication after 2 years. I haven't felt suicidal since then. However, I was also suicidal before I started taking the medication.

Since I came off of it, I my depression and SAD got much worse. Part of it may have been because I stopped doing exposure - I decided to use drug withdrawal as an excuse to give myself a break, which was not a good idea.

Side effects
I had some loss of appetite early on, but that went away. I never experienced any other physical side effects. I became suicidal at times, especially after drinking alcohol (mostly when drinking with my boyfriend at home, not so much in a lively social situation).
post #45 of 481 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 10:37 AM
SAS Member

I'm sorry but i won't be able to write something like a prescription like the above posts.

I just wanted to give you an advise about withdrawal from it. I've used lustral which i believe the same **** with zolosoft but a different brand. I've used it only a couple of months, fifty to hundred mg dose. I would recommend anyone who's withdrawing from this drug to do this gradually because when you suddenly quit taking it you'll have some weird effects on your head. It's not something painful, i can describe it like having a wind blowing effect in your head. It was happening to me when i move my head quickly. It took about a month or so to get back to normal but after maybe 6 months i can still have it very ocassionally when i'm about to fall asleep.
post #46 of 481 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 10:49 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMalloo View Post
Social Anxiety Background
I've been shy all my life. My social anxiety intensified greatly as a young adult. I believe both of my parents and many relatives on my Dad's side also have social anxiety.

I have also suffered from depression off and on throughout my life and also experienced self-mutilation. I think my depression is partly caused by the way social anxiety affects my life.

Other Treatments
Talk therapy and some exposure. I have been exercising regularly for almost 3 years to help with depression.

Treatment Experience
I went on Zoloft (50 mg) because I was extremely depressed and moody. I was planning to travel internationally and I desperately wanted to be sane enough to have a good experience. After taking it for a few weeks, I started to feel happier. It was amazing to feel good again. I had also taken up running a few months before that, and I think that also helped a lot.

I didn't take Zoloft for SAD, but it did help my SAD significantly. I had the time of my life traveling, then came home and started working more intensely on the exposure therapy. I don't think the Zoloft would have helped me with SAD as much if I hadn't been doing exposure.

Over time it felt like the medication became less effective. I also had some episodes where I felt very suicidal, particularly after drinking alcohol. That scared me, so I stopped taking the medication after 2 years. I haven't felt suicidal since then. However, I was also suicidal before I started taking the medication.

Since I came off of it, I my depression and SAD got much worse. Part of it may have been because I stopped doing exposure - I decided to use drug withdrawal as an excuse to give myself a break, which was not a good idea.

Side effects
I had some loss of appetite early on, but that went away. I never experienced any other physical side effects. I became suicidal at times, especially after drinking alcohol (mostly when drinking with my boyfriend at home, not so much in a lively social situation).
YOU CAME OFF ZOLOFT AN NOW YOUR WORSE . i dont get that at all why come off to be worse 50mg is the starter dose 100mg is what you needed after your body ajusted an you would proably be cruiseing well now.
post #47 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 02:24 PM
SAS Member

I took zoloft for three months. I started out at 50 mg for the first month and it had no effect so my doctor upped the dossage to 100 mg. After it started kicking in it made me crave alcohol and I started drinking all the time and went crazy. I only tappered off for a few days, but after that I had pretty much no withdrawl symptoms at all. This drug is absolutely the worst experience of my life and I will never take meds again.
post #48 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:00 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Westwood View Post
I took zoloft for three months. I started out at 50 mg for the first month and it had no effect so my doctor upped the dossage to 100 mg. After it started kicking in it made me crave alcohol and I started drinking all the time and went crazy. I only tappered off for a few days, but after that I had pretty much no withdrawl symptoms at all. This drug is absolutely the worst experience of my life and I will never take meds again.
crave alcohol, thats a new one on me , i think the med made you feel like partying after being depressed so you hit the booze. Still you have to blame something
post #49 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 12:48 AM
Permanently Manned!

i take lustral (Sertraline). i was moved up to 100mg, but it started giving me severe heartburn. now i take two seperate 50mg tabs each day
post #50 of 481 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 01:58 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello22 View Post
i take lustral (Sertraline). i was moved up to 100mg, but it started giving me severe heartburn. now i take two seperate 50mg tabs each day
take them as you feel best , lustral is a little weaker, some say than zoloft or sertraline ,the side effects will soon die down
post #51 of 481 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Ying&Yang

I'm currently on 25mg of zoloft, and on my 5th week and honestly I don't feel a difference. I was atleast expecting a different after the 2nd week like my Dr. said but all I've been feeling is sleepy all the time, loss of appetite, and random mood swings, like out of no where I'll sometimes catch myself hyper then really low, I'm just getting really impatient on this med. either thinking of raising the dose or switching.
post #52 of 481 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 09:24 PM
SAS Member

I was on Zoloft for only a couple months after I gave birth to my first daughter because the post-partum made my "regular" anxiety/depression SO MUCH WORSE, it took until she was a year old for me to admit I needed medication, up until then I kept insisting I could "handle it". I had a breakdown in a Walgreens Pharmacy and that was what made me finally admit I needed help, so my dr put me on the Zoloft. I started gaining a LOT of weight though, 30 pounds in 3 months, so my dr was afraid I'd gotten pregnant again and ran a pregnancy test (negative). He switched me to Celexa (generic name: Citalopram) and I was doing MUCH better, no more excessive weight gain and I felt better because I wasn't worried over gaining weight. About a year later I got pregnant with my second daughter and I had to go off the Celexa. She's now three and a half weeks old. I went back on my Celexa a couple days after she was born and it hasn't had enough time to build up and kick in yet... I hope it does soon because with a 3 year old and a newborn both demanding so much of me, I have days where I just can't handle being "Mommy" and I really really love my kids and I NEED to be able to be there for them.
post #53 of 481 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:00 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess4u View Post
I'm currently on 25mg of zoloft, and on my 5th week and honestly I don't feel a difference. I was atleast expecting a different after the 2nd week like my Dr. said but all I've been feeling is sleepy all the time, loss of appetite, and random mood swings, like out of no where I'll sometimes catch myself hyper then really low, I'm just getting really impatient on this med. either thinking of raising the dose or switching.
Sounds like you are experiencing symptoms of bipolar disorder.
post #54 of 481 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:14 AM
Ying&Yang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius View Post
Sounds like you are experiencing symptoms of bipolar disorder.
it never occurred to me that i might be bipolar but what are the symptoms?
post #55 of 481 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:31 AM
SAS Member

Generally speaking with bipolar your moods go from one extreme to the other. That's just a very general statement and I don't know a lot more about it.

Before going that far I would talk to your doctor, did they not tell you to start at 25 and then go up to 50? I thought 50 was the lowest leveled out dosage they usually give you but I'm not sure. It does take time before you will notice anything, but at about a month there should be something. It may be slow at first, just one day you find yourself going one step further than you usually do. i was wondering for a while if it was working when people at work said they were surprised how much more talkative I was.

I know that for me 25mg would be like nothing. I'm all the way up to 150 but then I'm REALLY bad off and also have OCD and Panic disorder.

Anyway, talk to your doctor and see if they think you should try bumping it up to 50 and give it another three weeks. Otherwise they may try another medication. Not all medications work for everyone and sometimes you have to try a few to find the one that works for you.
post #56 of 481 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:37 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
it never occurred to me that i might be bipolar but what are the symptoms?
25 mg of zoloft is a drop in the ocean for most. 100 to 150mg is the theraputic dose. In england you start on 50mg an 2 weeks later 100mg an 200mg is the max. It took 12 weeks for this med to work on me. but if you dont move off the 25mg your only getting side effects with no benifit. move up or stop the med.
post #57 of 481 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 06:50 AM
Ying&Yang

Thanx guys I definitely learned something new today...honestly didn't know their suppose to raise the mg, (my Dr. didn't tell me crap!) I have an appointment in a week, hopefully it all goes good. Just a thought she gave me a 3 month supply of zoloft, would taking 2 25 mg be same as one 50 mg?
post #58 of 481 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:56 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Thanx guys I definitely learned something new today...honestly didn't know their suppose to raise the mg, (my Dr. didn't tell me crap!) I have an appointment in a week, hopefully it all goes good. Just a thought she gave me a 3 month supply of zoloft, would taking 2 25 mg be same as one 50 mg?
Yes ocourse , but ask your doc first , then take 2 times 25mg togeather in one go, dont split into 2 dose,s. I take mine in the morning ,but its up to you.
post #59 of 481 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:27 PM
SAS Member

That's not true at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
no i carnt see that working only makeing things worse. you add 50mg an take it away the next day an add it the next .that means you are detoxing 1 day, an giveing it back the next. your brain would nuke its self. but thanks
Two generalist doctors and a psychiatrist have suggested such a strategy to me. Actually, SSRIs take about one to two days to metabolize, and for that matter the effects are cumulative--this is why you don't see the improvement right away. Your brain won't get nuked. If you're worried ask your doctor, but you won't be detoxing.
post #60 of 481 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 11:34 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmth View Post
Two generalist doctors and a psychiatrist have suggested such a strategy to me. Actually, SSRIs take about one to two days to metabolize, and for that matter the effects are cumulative--this is why you don't see the improvement right away. Your brain won't get nuked. If you're worried ask your doctor, but you won't be detoxing.
I have never heard that in england , but if it works for you WHY NOT. I have returned to 100mg a day as i reolise that// an only that is my theraputic dose, for some its 50 mg other 200mg, all that happen,s after your right dose is side effects not help. Even though your med is working you still get your ups an downs , i found you just have to ride them out. Messing with the med once you got it right, is asking for trouble. But first you got to get it right, an that could take months.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page