Viibryd (Vilazodone) [SSRI] - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 03:37 AM
SAS Member

Viibryd Exsperiance

1st & 2nd day of taking 10 mg i felt better then i did before taking them. it makes you not have a appitite the 7th day i felt a few of my problems coming back. anyways i seem to want to just want to sleep alot. i do feel a difference in how i feel & viibryd gives you diareah. also you will talk in your sleep and or have weired dreams i started the 20 mg and theres really no difference well im finally on the 40 mg its been 3 days so far. well i went to the er lastnight cause my stomach was so bloated it was horrible, then after a couple hours my face started to bloat so i went to be seen. im calling my dr monday and tell her i want off this medicine. well i woke up about a hour ago and my hands are swollen and my head is pounding i cant even cough cause it hurts so bad. i needed a med for depression,anxiety, social phobia,& crying spells. hope my information helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Jay01

My Experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahathaway View Post
Hello Everyone. I am new and this is my first post. My Dr. suggest Viibryd yesterday and at first I was really excited and hoped that Viibryd would be the answer to my prayers. Now, after reading several comments from users on this and other sites, I am a little nervous. I'm wondering if some of the side effects could be result of coming off of the old meds while starting Viibryd. Any thoughts?
I was thinking the same thing. When I was younger, probably 5-8 years ago I was on so many medications I can't even tell you. My depression has always been pretty mild but my social anxiety is horrible. I have missed several job related duties, taken f's on presentations, fake illness to avoid situations and self medicate with cough syrup to get me out of my house.

Recently, about a year ago I finally met with a psychologist and psychiatrist. We tried CBT for 3 months with great success but it only lasted a day or two following the session. The psychiatrist prescribed me Lexapro.... this was miserable. Sex went away which caused problems with my bf and I started feeling a general malaise, just bleh like a walking zombie. Yeah i wasn't sad anymore or drowning in self-pity but my personality just died.

They added Wellbutrin which I only took for about 2 weeks because I started to feel sad with thoughts of death (if i lost control of my car and hit a tree oh well) type of feelings. I decided to stop both cold turkey.

Things were fine for some time, I got back to my normal self with mild depression and taking xanax or proponal for anxiety situations. Recently I have noticed my lack of happiness and decided to give meds another try. I am now taking Zoloft 10mg and Wellbutrin 150. It has been about 2 weeks and my social anxiety is well under control. The problem is the sexual side effects AGAIN and just today/yesterday started to feel that blah feeling where I am not sad or happy, just existing and going through the motions.

A coworker told me about Viibryd today so I called my doctor to change the Zoloft to Viibry but after reading the comments on here i am not so sure. What to do?
post #43 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 09:11 AM
SAS Member

just taking 5 mg for the first time. makes me extremely tried and I want to take a nap... ahhh nappy time

post #44 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 10:02 AM
SAS Member

Is this available in Europe? And under what name?
post #45 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 08:38 AM
SAS Member

I am a fan of Viibryd

Been on it about 8 months, 10mg to 20 to 40. The nausea comes a few hours after the meds (I prefer mornings with breakfast). The BM's change, appetite improves and I did lose some exercise motivation which added to the weight by ~7 lbs. I fought taking anything for years and I should have as I feel more like I used to with this. Less anxiety, more level headed, no sexual side effects, an adult beverage or two does not seem to affect it but too many will make you pretty sick. On the 20mg I was a little spacey mid day for 10 - 30 minutes on occasion. At this point I'd stay on it for life if I continue to feel normal. The doc has coupons and I imagine it will be some time before we see a generic version.
post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:54 AM
SAS Member

go for pyroazolam, that stuff seems to get rid of anxiety and cause a general sence of well being, and they are cheap (10-40p a pop). If you want somethint a bit stroger then try etizolam. Geat for insomia, and great for anxiety / depression. I will warn you that if you take too many you can end up blacking out completely and sleeping for a good 20 hours in a row. These are brilliant for insomnia (you will fall asleep within 30mins of indestion then wake up 10 hours later felling fresh). but i will warn again tho, these can be a bit addicive and you have to be a bit carefull of mixing with alcohol as the are both technically downers

Not sure if uk doctors proved these but both can be very obtained easily of the internet (pricehugely dependant on the volume you buy, but rough estimate a 20-40p per pill)
post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 07:37 PM
SAS Member

Back on Wellbutrin

I took Viibryd for two weeks. It gave me the "mild brain fog" SpacedOut3 describes but it seemed to help with anxiety. Then I went on the 20 MG and my dreams became so vivid, I almost felt like I wasn't asleep at all. Suffice it to say, I didn't feel rested in the mornings. My digestive system already gives me diarrhea fairly often, but I think Viibryd made it every day. Anyway, I caught a cold and after a few days didn't want anything to eat. Instead of risking the nausea involved with not eating, I skipped the Viibryd entirely. I slept better that night and that made me decide to go back to Wellbutrin.

SpacedOut3, if you've never tried Wellbutrin (or its generic buprion), I highly recommend it. It has kept my depression livable for ten or more years and has a lot less side effects than 99% of the others. Social anxiety was my main reason for trying Viibryd but no one can function for any length of if they can't sleep (and/or can't stay outside the bathroom).

Last edited by Shorty1; 06-06-2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: clarity
post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 PM
SAS Member

Stopped Viibryd

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman 1973 View Post
i was just told by doc to start viibryd think i will pass after what i have read
I can't blame you. I wish I had thought to search for side-effects before I started. I took myself off after two weeks.
post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 09:42 PM
SAS Member

Thumbs up

Happy for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBonehead View Post
Well, I am new to the forum thing, but as I was reading thru all the other posts I just thought maybe I should post too.

I started Viibryd about 4 weeks ago. The first week on 10mg was great, other than the upset tummy and getting the runs. The 2nd week at 20mg was the worst so far. I was still getting the upset tummy, but also had a huge panic attack at work. I had also started my period during the week and I wonder if that had something to do with the breakdown at work...

I am now on the 40mg dose and I have to say that I am feeling great. no more tummy issues and I just am feeling really relaxed and calm. I haven't gotten angry and yelled since I started this med. Just really beginning to remember what it is to feel like me.

The best thing is that my sex drive has come back!! I can't remember the last time I just wanted to jump on my hubby and it's all coming back now!! That makes me so happy!!

I hope that I just keep on feeling better and better. I read somewhere that they have taken the 40mg dose out of the starter pack because it's too much, but I think I'm doing great at 40mg. In my opinion this is the best thing I have ever taken for anxiety/depression. Everything else just left me feeling "bleh", not happy, but not sad either. Just no emotions at all. On Viibryd, I smile and laugh all the time, I make sure that I am giving my hubby the attention he needs and I can better communicate with my daughter. When we go places, I have fun, not just go thru the motions like I had been doing for so long.

Thank you Viibryd for giving me my life back!!!
Did "the runs" go away with tummy troubles at 40 MG? I took myself off after about six days on 20 MG because of "the runs" and not sleeping well (if at all). I'm 53 and in menopause, but now wonder if I should give Viibryd another chance. It did help with anxiety.
post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 10:08 PM
SAS Member

Be Patient Livy07

Quote:
Originally Posted by livy07 View Post
I just took dose 1 of the sample pack. Fingers crossed.

I lost my job (due to my anxiety) yesterday. The psych gave me this Viibryd starter pack a week ago, but I hate taking pills. I am just desperate enough to try again. I am suddenly (unexpectedly) jobless and have hella bills to pay.

Why can't we just be normal happy people without needing to take a bunch of pharmaceuticals?? And why was this Viibryd pack thrown at me by a SLIDING SCALE psych doctor? Doesn't he know I can't even afford the medication he's letting me sample?? I feel like everyone just wants to make money off of our misery. I want a CURE, no more "trial and error". I'm tired of being a guinea pig and going broke in the process.
Most doctors will give you coupons for Viibryd. My first bottle of 40 MG was free (I didn't get the "starter pack") with a coupon. I have another coupon for $30 off the next five bottles.

On the question of why we can't be "normal", nobody knows. But, it is a problem of our brain chemistry, not us personally. Most of us have taken a multitude of different drugs for depression. I've taken almost all of them over the past 24 years and I've heard of people that take six or more per day! The only thing that's been "proven" to work is Electrical Shock Therapy which is used in extreme cases. Even that has to be repeated from time to time.
post #51 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 02:02 PM
SAS Member

Red face

Viibryd - My experience so far...

I've been on Viibryd for about two months, started my 40mg dosage two weeks ago. I had all the classic side effects at first, my stomach was always tore up and bloated, insomnia, and I have had one panic attack since I've been on it. The stomach issues are basically gone, maybe a little nausea after the dose but nothing overly noticable. However the insomnia is sticking around. I also take 100mg of Trazadone for sleep and my Psychiatrist just prescribe Klonipin for sleep as well. Yesterday I had a brain zap at work that almost threw me off balance and last night each time I started drifting off to sleep I would get one, I tried to fight through them but I was in some weird in between dreaming and awake state and they would usually wake me up or if I tried to force my eyes to stay closed I felt like I couldn't move or breath. Of course that part was all in my head but scary nonetheless. I finally went ahead and took a trazadone (I have been trying to use just the klonipin for sleep because the dr said that it would help me wake up with less anxiety) and that did the trick. It was still really bizarre and freaky. I also wake up really shakey each morning, but by mid-morning that has worn off so I'm not too worried. Has anyone tried taking their dose in the morning or at lunch? I'm trying to be strict about taking it with food because it says it is like 50% more effective if you do so maybe that's why I got the zaps. I don't want to give up yet because 40mg is the therapeutic dose and I want to give it a chance to work. I highly suggest that everyone give their pills the 4-6weeks at a therapeutic dosage if they can handle it. It seems like a lot of undesirable symptoms taper off by then, and that's what I am hoping with this too. I do like my moods on this, I'm more laid back and have a lot less anxiety. I'm a hypochondriac (for real) and usually if I had those zaps i would've been in the ER immediately. But instead I acknowledged them and knew I could call my dr. the next day. So I'm giving it more time. Here's to hoping!
post #52 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 08:34 PM
CysMom

I have recently started taking Viibryd after years of taking every other antidepressant you can name. So far, so good. I am only on 10mg step up. It seems to take a few days to adjust on each dosage. I already feel better and have more energy. I am really hopeful this is the one that will make the difference! I will only go up to 20mg and my doc already told me if the 20mg is too much to cut the tabs in half and stick with the 10 mg. I was checking the internet to see about any interactions with continuing my xanax for sleep aid. At least for tonight, I think I will try it. I had trouble sleeping a couple of nights on 5 mg but was okay after night 3 or 4. The sleeping problem hasn't been as bad, except I only sleep 6 hours. And tonight was my first day back at work after being out 16 days. I came home and slept for two hours, I was so exhausted. Now I'm worried I won't be able to sleep tonight, hence the xanax, as I usually only take it to help me sleep unless I'm having a panic attack.
post #53 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 10:11 PM
SAS Member

This is the best drug for diarrhea. Causing it, I mean.
post #54 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 05:26 PM
breathing in your dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonelse View Post
This is the best drug for diarrhea. Causing it, I mean.
hahahah.

yeah....as with every new generation of SSRIs, you're basically paying a premium for Prozac. yawn. nothing new.

post #55 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:47 PM
SAS Member

first day on viibryd

Hi, I've been on several antidepressants as well. Lexapro/celexa has been the most helpful for me but lately I think my depression is coming back that is if it ever left me completely. I've been diagnosed as bipolar and maybe I am but I am nothing like the stereotypical bipolar. I have been taking Lamectil 300mg, citalopram (celexa/ lexapro), ambien and klonapin and adderall. I don't take the klonapin or adderall every day because it just seems like too much medicine to be taking. My doctor suggested switching to viibryd because he has seen patients lose weight on it which I need as well as helping with depression in cases where other ssri's haven't worked. I have been seeing this doctor for a very long time and I trust him but he does a lot of research on schizophrenia and has a 16 bed facility above his office so I don't know how much longer he is going to be seeing private patients. I really don't want to have to find another doctor. That probably causes me more anxiety than anything else.
post #56 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:54 PM
SAS Member

also, I don't think it is a good idea to take too much stock in all of these posts on negative side effects. I know from experience with family members and myself that when switching meds you have to give the old medicines a chance to fully leave your system. Even on a cellular level. That takes a long time. Typically when starting a new ssri it takes at least 6 weeks to reach a therapeutic effect. Depression is miserable. I know this as well as anyone, I promise! So waiting on medication to take effect seems like forever and sometimes it is just overwhelming. You can not take the medication and give up after 2 weeks. Anxiety causes nausea and diarrhea by itself so it may not necessarily be the medication that is causing it.
post #57 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 02:16 PM
SAS Member

Started Viibryd a week ago, started working almost immediately. I feel, sleep and can handle things better. I suffer from Anxiety and depression. Only side effects were stomach/diarrhea issues for 4 days and then it stopped. Almost was at my breaking point before I started this med.
post #58 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 02:29 AM
SAS Member

It works but causes weight gain and it's not as effective as Paxil. But you do feel like you're raging inside and bored all the time and start doing silly things like making prank calls. I been on it for a while and maybe this is a good sign b/c prior to this I was on Paxil, which felt kinda the same and helped so much but caused weight gain and killed my drive.

My next resort would be Fluvoxamine CR version when I see my doctor because there is no weight gain or sexual dysfunction for the most part. It's on the weaker side but has a potent sigma1-a thingy for OCD and can really help anxiety in theory.

Viibryd so far has been mediocre experience but I have to give it more time to really judge its effects.
post #59 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 07:18 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lurking
My first med was Lexapro and it worked well but I hated the decreased libido. I was on it for about 2 years or so. I switched to Wellbutrin but lasted only a week because it made my anxiety 100 times worse. Then I went on generic Prozac for about a year. I wasn't sad but I wasn't happy either. I was mostly numb and zombie-like. And I gained weight with the generic Prozac.

So I stopped all meds for 4 years. The last two winters have been difficult to get through and I was having suicidal thoughts. So I am starting Vibryd now. I did the 10mg for a week then 20mg for a week. I just filled an Rx yesterday for 20 mg since I can be okay on lower dosages. I might eventually up it to 40mg.

I had the nausea for 2-3 days as well as lightheadedness for 3-4 days. I was a little more gassy and slightly more tummy troubles for a week. I work from home so it wasn't overly troublesome for me. I think I'm past all that now. Only side effect is a little bit increased libido, which hubby is benefitting from. Haven't seen any weight gain on Viibryd. Only day 16 so far.

I've been a bit reflective and sad the last two days so I'm wondering if I may need to up it to 40mg. Doc suggested doing the 20 for a month and see how it goes. At least we can adjust it in time before full winter comes.

I'm mostly on it for depression. I have alprazolam for my high anxiety days. On an "as needed" basis.

Moms and Dads group at SAS:
Moms and Dads
post #60 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 11:45 AM
SAS Member

Viibryd works for me so far

I was taking Celexa previously for moderate depression (no suicidal thoughts) and general anxiety. I had the anorgasmia from Celexa and that alone would raise my anxiety level and cause me stress, so I took myself off it.

I went to see a psychiatrist who recommended trying Viibryd. I started on the normal starter pack (10mg 1 week, 20mg 1 week, then 40mg). It was a little bit of a weird, interesting and sometimes rough start. But I noticed that only the first few days of each new dose were the worst and then the side effects tapered off as the week went on.

Side Effects I've Had:

Diarrhea - with 10 and 20mg dose
-This has gone away since starting the 40mg dose.
Nausea - with 10 and 20mg dose
-This has gone away since starting the 40mg dose.
Tingling/Crawling - I get this sensation on the backs of both shoulders, but it's not unpleasant. Just unusual.
Restlessness while Sleeping - 10 and 20mg dose
-The restlessness was more like I wanted to crawl out of my skin when I laid down to sleep at night. I would have to suddenly jerk my legs or head to "expel" the extra energy. I ended up taking a dose of .5mg xanax with my dose of Viibryd (at bedtime) and that alleviated it almost completely.
"Brain Zaps" - I had no way to explain these until I saw that phrase on this forum and it's totally accurate. I got them much more frequently in the first 3 weeks and now they're only occasionally. It almost feels like a movie effect but actually happening inside your head and it's only for an instant.
Sudden Severe Tinnitus - This is probably related to the Brain Zaps, but it's like a sudden LOUD ringing sound bursts into my ears. This has also stopped after the first 3 weeks. I had one episode of this that actually made me cry out and clap my hand over my ear while laying in bed because it was so loud.
Vivid Dreams - I have had two of the most vivid, bizarre dreams I've ever had while taking Viibryd. One was just last night and I dreamt I had vertigo. Not sure if I *actually* had vertigo upon waking or not but the sensation in my dream was intense.

With all that said, I felt better mentally after the second day of the 10mg dose. It started working for me that quickly. Any of the side effects were tolerable or at least interesting enough for me to not need to quit taking it. I am VERY careful to not miss a dose though. I have a friend who took it and did not do well on it. He had blackouts and "lost time". That hasn't happened to me and my husband has been keeping a good eye on me, but I feel infinitely better mentally and emotionally than I have in quite a while. I am about to get my second full refill.

I hope this helps someone else!
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page