Viibryd (Vilazodone) [SSRI] - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 11:08 PM
SAS Member

I took this for 4 weeks. Did nothing for my SA. Then again, lexapro did not either, so maybe I am weird (paxil and effexor did, though)

Has anyone had any luck with this for SA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:24 PM
SAS Member

Just wanted to share my experience with other people in the hopes that it will be helpful and they won't end up in the misery I'm in now.

I've taken many different drugs to treat severe anxiety and mild depression. I'll list them briefly and the reactions I've had before explaining why Viibryd is the worst thing I've ever encountered.

The following have had no real effect on my anxiety and have all made me feel pretty stoned and sedated without actually stopping the panic attacks. I've given them all at least 3 weeks on the optimum dosage. No real side effects, just general malaise and apathy with no gain:
Wellbutrin, Paxil, Celexa, and Zoloft.
Cymbalta was a huge mood improvement and I never slept better, but I had the worst and most sustained panic attack (9 hours) of my life after increasing the dosage to what was supposed to be therapeutic. No help for anxiety.
Effexor had the best overall affect on my anxiety and depression with the least amount of normal side effects. No sexual or sleep problems and I didn't feel sedated. However, I was soaked in sweat all of the time while I took this and the brain zaps snuck up on me if I drank alcohol or was a few minutes late for the pill.

I took a few years off and just took a maintenance dose of Klonipin for anxiety. Not a perfect life by far, but manageable.

Enter Viibryd. I thought I'd give it a try because my doctor thought it was really showing great results.

For the first week on 10mg, I had some nausea in the mornings and felt a bit antsy but that seemed to pass about mid-week. Also, I had severe leg and muscle cramping in the first 48 hours that passed.

So, I went up to 20mg and that's when the problems started. I had the same initial problems as the first week but then started having trouble urinating accompanied by lower-back and abdominal pain. I've had kidney stones and a history of UTI's, so I went to an express medical clinic thinking that was the problem. They took a urine sample and didn't find evidence of anything. They gave me the normal course of Cipro anyways, and I went on my way. I was due to go up to 40mg that day and decided to go ahead.

At 40mg, I immediately started feeling better mentally. I felt less panicky and my mood seemed really stable. Throughout the two weeks I took this dose, I felt like it was really helping my anxiety and noticed I only needed my xanax (for breakthrough anxiety) once. This is down from 3x a day at least.

However, my abdominal pain and incessant urination was not going away and felt worse. Also, I started getting RLS at night and having a hard time sleeping. I can't pinpoint exactly when it started getting worse, but about a week into this dose, I stopped sleeping entirely. Nothing, not even 5 minutes. When it first started, I would lie in bed all night in this waking daze with surreal conscious dreams. My eyes were closed but I was aware of everything going on around me. However, during the day I had unlimited energy. I ran a 5k, went to work, walked the dog, did chores, etc. I didn't feel great physically but besides dark-circles, nobody seemed to notice a difference besides maybe some more energy and my constant bathroom trips.

On the second night of zero sleep, I broke down and took 1mg Xanax, which is 4x what I usually take (since switching from Klonipin). No response except to calm the RLS down. My mind was racing but it was not really a bad feeling if that makes sense. I felt productive. I was mentally tired that following day, but physically felt pretty good besides some light sensitivity.

On the third night of no sleep, I got worried and tried everything I could think of. I took 50mg of Benadryl, some melatonin, D/Mag/Cal, tea with Chamomile and Valerian Root, and then around 4 hours into tossing and turning uncomfortably, I took 1mg Xanax. Nothing. Wide Awake. I read a book and waited for the world to wake up.

That day I was feeling pretty manic and hysterical, but still took the dog running in the park, went to work, and went out with friends. I decided to get drunk and see if that would help. I decided to Six shots of 100 proof Whiskey is a lot for me but other than feeling drunk, it had no effect. After I sobered up (around 2am), I was still wide awake with the normal hangover symptoms but none of the sleep. I had gotten to the point where it was physically uncomfortable to lie down or sit still for any period of time. I called the pdoc's emergency line and made an appt for 8am and then found ways to stay busy all night. I was so hyper that I felt like I was crawling out of my skin. I steam-cleaned 4 carpeted rooms if that's any indicator. I should mention that I skipped this day's dose, so it was about 36 hours since the last dose that I decided to drink. How could this not work?

I had somebody take me to the pdoc since I wasn't sure of my sanity or ability at that point. My heart was racing but I still felt surprisingly energetic. He listened to me for 5 minutes and then told me my blood pressure was out of control (usually 110/60). I don't know what it was, it's a bit blurry at this point. He explained that the pharmacology of this drug includes a warning about some word beginning with 'a' that could lead to bladder/sphincter pressure and maybe cause the symptoms I was attributing to an infection. However, he called my PCP and they're scheduling a kidney screening for next week to be on the safe side. I was instructed to immediately take 2mg Xanax (to make it possible to lie down) and then to take 12.5 mg Ambien ER.

I did as instructed and slept (fitfully) for about 6.5 hours. At the time I attempted to go to sleep, I hadn't taken Viibryd for 48 hours. Now, I'm trying to get sleepy but still feel like jumping out of my skin. I'm going to do the high-dosage Xanax+Ambien again and try to get more sleep. but, this is ridiculous. I'm now 60 hours from the last dose, exhausted, manic, and hyper.

The drug has a half-life of 25 hours, so I still have somewhere between 5-10 mg in my system.

I've never felt better, and simultaneously worse in my life and might have done permanent damage.

One thing I didn't mention was food. I took this dose in the morning after breakfast and would feel ravenous for an hour. If I fought through that hour, I didn't feel hungry until the next dose. During the sleeplessness, I believe I only ate a few eggs a day. It's a little blurry since I was snacking at night. I lost about 6 lbs in the last 7 days.

Trying to go to sleep now, but my mind is racing and I want to run a marathon.

Wish me luck, and be very careful with this drug. I could see it being incredible dangerous if I didn't have the people around me watching and the drug journal I keep.
post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 05:14 AM
SAS Member

This is straight from my pdoc:

Forest Labs, the distributor of Viibryd, has found out post marketing that the 40mg dose is usually too high for almost everyone. The very first sample starter packs that were given out had the 40mg tablets in them---now they do not, only 10 and 20mg tabs are in the new starter packs. Forest now recommends staying at 20mg until efficacy at that dose is determined and only increasing to 30 or 40mg if warranted.

Just an FYI for those who may still be getting the original starter packs---and the huge increase in side effects going from 20 to 40mg/day

post #24 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 10:46 AM
SAS Member

I wish I'd known that before. Although the good effects were great, the bad ones were so scary that I'm terrified to try again.
post #25 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 08:46 AM
SAS Member

new to vibyd

having good results,do have nausea ,taking with food helps.insomnia for first few weeks too,have been on many before this prozac and welbutrin for many years but they stopped working. I though they were good too while they lasted. not fan of sertaline.
post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 06:24 PM
SAS Member

I took this for about a year. I chose it because it was supposed to be something great and new/different. It's the same old thing with a different name. It acts like your typical SSRI/SNRI for me. It worked, not really well for awhile and eventually stopped working all together, like all other SSRIs. If there's anything different about this one it's that the side-effects are much worse than the older ones...stomach problems, taste buds enlarged for a long time, some weight gain...and didn't work that great to begin with...oh yeah and if i forgot to take it I would have horrible nightmares, if I remembered to take it I would remember all my dreams.
post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 10:50 AM
SAS Member

meds

i was just told by doc to start viibryd think i will pass after what i have read
post #28 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 AM
SAS Member

Thumbs down

Bad experience with Viibryd

When I first started taking Viibryd I thought it was amazing. I felt good. I felt happy and it gave me my life back. I was on the 40 mg for several months when I began to have terrible side effects. I felt "hung over" all of the time and had an awful taste in my mouth (I do not drink alcohol). My hands shook each morning and I began to have terrible nightmares. I went to my doctor who told me to stop taking the medication. It has been several days and I'm starting to feel like I'm waking up from a bad dream. Hopefully, it won't turn on everyone the way it turned on me.

Worry does not empty tomorrow of it's sorrow; it empties today of it's strength.
post #29 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 PM
SAS Member

Smile

We are all different / suggestion

I take 5mg vybryd, 150mg effexx xr 1000mg tegretol 2mg klonopon and 300 mg seroquel and 30mg adderall and feel pretty good.

Its been a 25 year battle I know things will change, just wanted to share.
post #30 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 10:01 AM
SAS Member

started having anxiety problems about 5 - 7 years ago. most obvious problem was extreme sweating in pressure situations - not a good thing in a professional job with lots of meetings. my dr put me on lexapro. it worked reasonably well but definitely had a negative effect on the sexual side. I took myself off of it almost 2 years ago because i reached the point where i had no feelings at all - not happy, not sad, a little zombie-like on the emotion side. Did great until recently. Job stress has gone up and i have started to have panic attacks and the sweating has returned. My dr has now put me on Viibryd and i can supplement with Xanax. i have taken the first week of Viibryd (10mg) and just started the week of 20mg dosage. i quit with it this morning. experiencing gastrointestinal distress, mild nausea at times, increased urination, and muscle weakness particularly in my legs. some of the edge is gone from my anxiety but the side effects are more than i am willing to accept.
post #31 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 11:37 PM
SAS Member

Not impressed

I am just starting my 3rd week of the 40mg. dose of Viibryd and I have to say that I am very disappointed at this point. Honestly; I feel almost worse---I am so crabby, ill-tempered and short-fused that I can't stand myself. I was previously on 60mg. Cymbalta 1X per day and switched to Viibryd per docs suggestion as I felt as though Cymbalta was helping with my depression and anxiety; but only minimally. The most positive thing I can say thus far with Viibryd is that I have experienced ZERO side effects; but that's a small victory when you're also experiencing ZERO relief...

Suggestions? Should I push through a few more weeks, or try something different before I implode or smack myself silly?
post #32 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 PM
SAS Member

Vilazadone

This is my 4th SSRI, after lots of buspar and xanex plateaus. Def. feel like Iím somewhere else piloting my avatar (who happens to be at work typing this) Zoloft was my best, but couldn't stand the reduced libido and "sticking the landing" became too difficult. Celexa was like a placebo.

So far I'm optimistic about the Viibryd - my most prominent tell is my inner monologue of despising everything and everyone around me and so far that's been turned way down. Will update soon once I take the step up to 20mg this weekend.
post #33 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 09:28 AM
SAS Member

I just took dose 1 of the sample pack. Fingers crossed.

I lost my job (due to my anxiety) yesterday. The psych gave me this Viibryd starter pack a week ago, but I hate taking pills. I am just desperate enough to try again. I am suddenly (unexpectedly) jobless and have hella bills to pay.

Have had horrible luck with SSRI's in the past... have tried Lexapro (worked alright for my depression, killed libido), prozac (worked alright for my depression, killed libido), wellbutrin (insomnia), celexa (frequent intense bouts of anger), effexor (actually made me feel more depressed). Have also taken klonopin, ativan, xanax (one at a time) for my panic disorder.

Sometimes I just feel like I am better off without taking anything. I hate hate hate taking one medicine after another after another. I worry that I'll never get better. I tried St. John's wort for a time, and with surprising success, but after a few weeks I started slipping -- it had to be taken 3x a day. Symptoms returned with vengeance.

Why can't we just be normal happy people without needing to take a bunch of pharmaceuticals?? And why was this Viibryd pack thrown at me by a SLIDING SCALE psych doctor? Doesn't he know I can't even afford the medication he's letting me sample?? I feel like everyone just wants to make money off of our misery. I want a CURE, no more "trial and error". I'm tired of being a guinea pig and going broke in the process.

Thanks for listening.
post #34 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 09:32 PM
SAS Member

I took it for a few months. I've only only taken a couple other SSRIs VERY briefly, so this was the longest I was on one. (Probably about 5 months) I actually really liked it at first. For whatever reason I felt like I didn't want to depend on it, I'm stubborn I guess. Plus I couldn't afford it once the samples disappeared from a friendly doctor, ya know? Just so happened I had a decent job at the time and met some new people, so I'm not sure I even needed it. I went off of it recently, and now I feel like I do need it/want it more than before. It certainly helps anxiety. I found that drinking with it is a bad idea, but also kind of fun. I know it's not recommended but I'd get 'high like' giggles when I drank on this stuff, but my tolerance was a lot lower. One or two beers and I'd be done. I also didn't have too much trouble getting aroused. At first it actually kinda helped my stamina. But I also didn't have the need to masturbate. So desire was down I guess, but I was also going through a break-up. So it's hard to be objective about that.

My only complaint is I gained a bit of weight and it made me kinda lazy when it came to working out. I was a bit too sedated and comfortable. I still prefer marijuana over any of this stuff, but it has its disadvantages. The fog, the legality, and the dependence on its pain distracting effects can be more psychological addictive than the high itself.

Also, the side effects coming off of it were pretty rough. I felt kinda hung over or something, but the brain zapping wasn't as bad as Effexor. (I took Effexor for a month years ago and my brain was zapping for awhile after I stopped it.)

Edit: So I'd give it a 4/5 as far as an anti depressant goes. It did work for me in some ways. I have some on hand in case of emergency, just don't want to depend on it everyday. Also, I know SSRIs are known to cause problems in bed - this one for the most part didn't, at least not at first. I did notice a lack of desire after a couple months though. I say if you're in the market for an SSRI it might be a good choice, just don't take 40mg - way too much.
post #35 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 07:58 PM
SAS Member

Viibryd been okay for me. I take the standard 40mg.
post #36 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 AM
SAS Member

Smile

Viibryd Gave Me My Life Back!!

Well, I am new to the forum thing, but as I was reading thru all the other posts I just thought maybe I should post too.

I started Viibryd about 4 weeks ago. The first week on 10mg was great, other than the upset tummy and getting the runs. The 2nd week at 20mg was the worst so far. I was still getting the upset tummy, but also had a huge panic attack at work. I had also started my period during the week and I wonder if that had something to do with the breakdown at work...

I am now on the 40mg dose and I have to say that I am feeling great. no more tummy issues and I just am feeling really relaxed and calm. I haven't gotten angry and yelled since I started this med. Just really beginning to remember what it is to feel like me.

The best thing is that my sex drive has come back!! I can't remember the last time I just wanted to jump on my hubby and it's all coming back now!! That makes me so happy!!

I hope that I just keep on feeling better and better. I read somewhere that they have taken the 40mg dose out of the starter pack because it's too much, but I think I'm doing great at 40mg. In my opinion this is the best thing I have ever taken for anxiety/depression. Everything else just left me feeling "bleh", not happy, but not sad either. Just no emotions at all. On Viibryd, I smile and laugh all the time, I make sure that I am giving my hubby the attention he needs and I can better communicate with my daughter. When we go places, I have fun, not just go thru the motions like I had been doing for so long.

Thank you Viibryd for giving me my life back!!!
post #37 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 11:07 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livy07 View Post
I want a CURE, no more "trial and error". I'm tired of being a guinea pig and going broke in the process.
I'm afraid trial and error is just part of it...it seems we all go through it, unless your one of the REALLY lucky people that the first one works, which rarely happens. Truth be told, doctors and scientists really don't know exactly HOW antidepressants work...it's all theory and based on responses in lab animals, both in vivo and in vitro, then trials on humans to see if they work (or don't work). It's actually just a theory that serotonin, norephenephrine and dopamine are the receptors that determine anxiety and depressive disorders. As a matter of fact, the latest research is beginning to show that those theories and receptors may not be the only ones involved...now there is more theories and concentration on the glutamatergic system and receptors...research has found that by using a glutamate antagonist such as ketamine elicits a much faster and more robust response and remission of symptoms, and lasts longer....the problem is, ketamine has a plethora of side effects and can only (for now) be administered by IV...so now scientists are trying to figure out a new and novel drug that can be administered P.O. (by mouth) and have a developed a few, but they are still in the VERY early stages of development....years, if not DECADES away from being approved. There is at least ONE glutamate receptor blocker available now...Namenda (memantine HCL)...but it is only FDA approved to treat Alzheimer's disease, not anxiety and depression, but if you'll search around the internet a lot of people have had great results with it if you can find a doctor that is willing to go WAY off label and let you try it...

Good luck on med-go-round...it sucks, but most of us have to do it to find the right med. And you're right, if you go to doctor with most any non-psychiatric disease, you get a diagnosis and if it's treatable with a drug, the doctor pretty much knows EXACTLY which drug WILL work to cure it....example...if you get an STD (besides AIDS of course), the offending bacteria is quickly and exactly identified and the exact drug to cure it is administered...bingo, STD cured...
post #38 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 07:28 AM
SAS Member

Talking

I take 40mg daily, I usually take mine in the evening so I can sleep through the nausea. Occasionally I have problems sleeping, but it doesn't bother me as I go to bed early anyways. This medication has helped far beyond any of the others I have tried. It levels me out and keeps me normal for my co workers and my two kids. The side affects in the beginning are nasty. But of course i worked my way up to 40 slowly, and that helped alot. After the first two weeks, things improve and the sickness goes away. After about a month, you'll wake up and randomly see everything in a new light. You will see yourself so much better and won't have the constant doubts that plagued you before. You're mood will improve, you will smile more, laugh more, joke more, and think positive more, and most of all you will have more self esteem about yourself. JUST HANG IN THERE AFTER THE FIRST FEW WEEKS. I am currently studying pharmacy in college and I was wondering why this medication worked so well for me while the others didn't, so i did some research with my professor. This medication goes further into the mind that any other one. I'm not going to bore you with the large words, but trust me it does more than any other standard depression RX.
post #39 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 08:14 PM
SAS Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman 1973 View Post
i was just told by doc to start viibryd think i will pass after what i have read
This is why you should never read the side effects because than u wont try anything.I started the viibryd.I am 73. havent taken antidepressants for 8 years and didnt want to take them again until I got in bad shape from losing my sister.I started with a 5 half of a 10 for 2 weeks than a 10 for 2 weeks now I am on 15 a ten and a half.I will do this for a week than go to 20.I think alot of complaints come from people who are comming off other antidepressants and they arent out of thier system and they are putting a new one in thier system so I can just imagine all the side effects.I am mainly sleepy alot kind of lazy and hope I can get some energy soon I am starting at very low doses because I am so hyper sensative to meds.It is better to start out on low doses.I was told I may not need the 40s. this one is supposed to keep on working so u dont get immune to it and u wont have to change to another like most do because they stop working. this one keeps working so give it a try and dont read any more side effects or u will surely have them all...Good luck
post #40 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 08:15 PM
SAS Member

Smile

Viibyrd answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman 1973 View Post
This is why you should never read the side effects because than u wont try anything.I started the viibryd.I am 73. havent taken antidepressants for 8 years and didnt want to take them again until I got in bad shape from losing my sister.I started with a 5 half of a 10 for 2 weeks than a 10 for 2 weeks now I am on 15 a ten and a half.I will do this for a week than go to 20.I think alot of complaints come from people who are comming off other antidepressants and they arent out of thier system and they are putting a new one in thier system so I can just imagine all the side effects.I am mainly sleepy alot kind of lazy and hope I can get some energy soon I am starting at very low doses because I am so hyper sensative to meds.It is better to start out on low doses.I was told I may not need the 40s. this one is supposed to keep on working so u dont get immune to it and u wont have to change to another like most do because they stop working. this one keeps working so give it a try and dont read any more side effects or u will surely have them all...Good luck
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page