Prozac (fluoxetine) [SSRI] - Page 4 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #61 of 264 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 01:56 AM
SAS Member

Hi , Is prozac effective just for one use for example if i have an important meeting I wanna take one to calm down, I dont want to take it constantly because of sideeffects. Does prozac work like that ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 264 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 05:24 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damumaniac View Post
Hi , Is prozac effective just for one use for example if i have an important meeting I wanna take one to calm down, I dont want to take it constantly because of sideeffects. Does prozac work like that ?
No, sorry, afraid not...you have to take it every day for AT LEAST a month before you would even feel a difference....the best drugs for what you describe would be a fast acting drug...such as a benzodiazapine like Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan, Valium...there are about 15 others,too) or a beta blocker such as propranolol, metoprolol or atenolol....or possibly Vistaril (hydroxyzine), a antihistamine with anti-anxiety properties....take them about an hour before the meeting, and you should be good to go...
post #63 of 264 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 03:15 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damumaniac View Post
It depends on the person and what other drugs they are taking. When I take prozac, I calm down a lot for maybe a day, and the effect is less and less over time; tolerance built up after a month or so. I would need to take 80mg right now to get that same kick the 20mg had when I first started taking them. I gave a 20mg pill to my girlfriend, and she was in a confused/happy fog for several days. She didn't like it because she already has attention problems.

I would suggest NOT taking one before an important meeting. My gf and I both had difficulty concentrating while taking prozac. This would be like taking MDMA or smoking a joint before a meeting. It's hard to follow what's going on when you're off in la la land.

post #64 of 264 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 PM
SAS Member

Been reading this thread with interest - I've been on fluoxetine for 15 years now, and I have to say I probably wouldn't be where I am without it. I got diagnosed with depression when I was at at Uni in 1997, and my GP prescribed flouxetine, which I've been on ever since. I remember when I first felt the effect of it, it was like the clouds had suddenly cleared, and the colour came back to everything. I've spoken a lot with my Dad, who also suffers badly from depression and has taken prozac, and he felt exactly the same. I know it doesn't work for everyone (sometimes it doesn't work for me) but I feel like I owe my life to it, because it made me realise that the way I was feeling, or my interpretation of life, was not as it should be. I also do recognise what people are saying about 'numbness' - I do feel a sense of 'detachment' sometimes, particularly in my emotional responses, but before I was on it, I was on an emotional rollercoaster, which just wasn't sustainable, and I'd put up with a lot not to have to go back there. Very interesting thread, and it's really interesting to read how prozac has affected other people.
post #65 of 264 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 07:36 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spungo View Post
Other Treatments:
I tried Prozac after trying Celexa and Zoloft.

Rating: 5/5
One major problem with other SSRI drugs was the withdrawal. I could feel Celexa withdrawal at the end of the day, and it was horrible. It would make me emotionally unstable. Zoloft was even worse because I could take it in the morning and feel the withdrawal while I'm still at work. I specifically asked for Prozac because it has an incredibly long half-life that is measured in days instead of hours. As expected, Prozac never crashes. I could skip the pills for several days and still not feel any withdrawal. I'm so glad that I don't need to deal with constant drug crashes anymore. I bet Prozac and Celexa would make an interesting combination, but I haven't been able to test that.

Positive Effects:
-Very long half-life. This drug never crashes.
-While Celexa would cause body anxiety and tense muscles, Prozac seems to do the opposite. I can take Prozac then lay down in a comfortable position.
-Prozac makes everything feel softer. After taking 40mg of Prozac, snuggling is the most enjoyable thing in the world. It doesn't matter if it's a person or a stuffed animal.
-Prozac sometimes causes closed-eye hallucinations. If I close my eyes, I immediately start dreaming. The dreaming stops as soon as I open my eyes again. It's very similar to the type of hallucinations experienced on MDMA.
-My body is a lot faster to warm up and stay warm. Cold rooms don't bother me as much as they did in the past.
-My girlfriend says I'm a lot more relaxed and agreeable on this drug.
-Prozac counters the physical anxiety caused by caffeine. I can drink all the coffee in the world without getting shaky.
-Alcohol makes me more social than ever. Even 2 beers is enough to get me talking for hours.

Negative Effects:
-Swallowing the capsules whole causes major diarrhea. The pills must be chewed first.
-The content of the capsules is a strong irritant. I tried putting a Prozac under my tongue to see what it would do, and it ended up causing severe irritation in my mouth. It took about 4 days for my mouth to heal.
-Prozac severely impairs cognition. If I take this before work, very little work gets done. I'm a lot more forgetful and absent minded these days. I seem to procrastinate more while taking Prozac.
-Prozac completely blocks the effects of MDMA.
-I started to crave nicotine after I started taking Prozac. I've been puffing on nicotine inhalers to deal with this, otherwise I would be a chain smoker. I've never been a smoker and I don't plan on starting.
If you've never been a smoker how did you know that it was nicotine you were craving?
post #66 of 264 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 07:49 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMissesG View Post
*Sidenote* I've been on meds for 12 years.

When I started (10mg) I was going on a vacation with my family. I remember at first it made me jittery/hyper and gave me a lot of energy, I felt great! but then there were times I would cry hysterically & had suicidal thoughts in my hotel room. Maybe some form of mania?

When I returned to my shrink he upped my dosage (20mg) SMH. I began to eat more, became constipated & ultimately very lethargic. Currently I am weaning myself off Prozac, hopefully to never go on antidepressants again.
But they must of done something for you since you were on them for 12 years right??
post #67 of 264 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 07:54 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrsta View Post
My school doctor prescribed me this, but told me it was zoloft. From my understanding, you must take this in the morning. Well she told me, since I was taking sleep medication, that if I took this medication at night, I would no longer need the sleeping pills.

Prior to this, before I went to college, my mom made me take hers, because I was extremely depressed. After about 6 weeks I changed into a monster. I yelled at my parents calling them bad names, and when they went to restrain me I, barefooted, ran outside and tried to run away. My parents thought it was just a phase (you know, teenagers trying to outwit their parents). I thought that too, until the second time I was on the medication.

It made me lie. I didn't want to lie, but I HAD to. I would imagine things in my head (not see them) and relay them as if they were facts. I would drive horribly and race cars that were unaware of my intentions. I wanted to die, everynight. I had no sexual pleasure nor did I want it. I stopped taking it after four miserable months when my neropsychologist professor told me it wasn't what I needed.

This is how they found out I was bipolar. If this happens to you, you might want to see a professional and see if you suffer from something other than regular severe depression.
That sounds like me in the past weeks without any medication...Every single thing except the running away barefoot. I did kind of run away though..in my car, with a basil plant..
post #68 of 264 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Broken

I recentely ended up in the hospital, and decided to start taking prozac again, because i was desperate for anything that might work. i have been on it before, and stopped taking it because of the side effects. first time it was causing sexual issues and the second time i took it with wellbutrin and it triggered a manic state. this time has been a lot better, the sexual side effects have been minimal and it hasn't triggered any mania so far. i'm only on 10mg but i have been really surprised at how good it is at reducing my anxiety. it has helped a lot with my depression too, but i think i need to be on a higher dose.
post #69 of 264 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 02:27 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdontMind View Post
If you've never been a smoker how did you know that it was nicotine you were craving?
I would always accept cigarettes that people offered. While taking Prozac, I started chain consuming nicotine inhalers. This was weird because I usually have a very low tolerance for nicotine; smoking more than half a cigarette would make me feel sick.
post #70 of 264 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:19 PM
GXP
SAS Member

Went back to the doc today. Amitriptyline wasn't doing much of anything so he switched me to 20 mg per day of this. He was gonna switch me to beta blockers possibly but I opted for prozac as I want something that will just lower my overall anxiety levels on a daily basis rather than just on a more situational basis. Hoping that this will help take the edge off in social situations. I'm gonna have some job interviews coming up here so I really need it lol.
post #71 of 264 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 01:20 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spungo View Post
I would always accept cigarettes that people offered. While taking Prozac, I started chain consuming nicotine inhalers. This was weird because I usually have a very low tolerance for nicotine; smoking more than half a cigarette would make me feel sick.
I was googling around and I found something interesting related to this.

MAOI drugs lead to smoking
Quote:
inhibition of monoamine oxidase may contribute to the escalation of smoking, thus validating both an animal model of the escalation of smoking behavior and the contribution of monoamine oxidase inhibition to compulsive nicotine-seeking.
But fluoxetine is not an MAOI. Or is it?
Fluoxetine is an MAO-A inhibitor
Quote:
Fluoxetine and norfluoxetine (fluoxetine's metabolite) also significantly inhibited (more than 20%) the binding of the radioligand in vivo while citalopram and deprenyl showed very poor affinities in vitro for MAO-A and had no effect in vivo. The in vivo effects of the various drugs were directly comparable to their in vitro affinities for binding to MAO-A as seen in the correlation plot of percent control in vivo binding of 18F-fluoroclorgyline and binding affinity, -log IC50 (R2 = 0.979). An acute dose of 20 mg/kg of fluoxetine inhibited binding of 18F-fluoroclorgyline by more than 20%, while lower doses had some significant effects. These results provide evidence on the in vitro and in vivo inhibition of monoamine oxidase A by fluoxetine.
Mystery solved! Fluoxetine is an MAOI that selectively blocks MAO-A. This is in addition to its actions as an SSRI. This perfectly explains why studies showed that fluoxetine cause a significant increase of dopamine in rat brains. The MAOI effect increases dopamine.
post #72 of 264 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 05:49 PM
intimacy without pain

My psychiatrist just recently had me try Prozac for the first time. It was supposed to help with my depression and anxiety, including my panic attacks. To sum it up - horrible, hellish experience. Will never use again.

Basically got the paradoxical effect of it. I've always been a really quick metabolizer of drugs, so I felt the effects almost immediately. I took one 10 mg tablet, 5 mg the next day, and another 5 mg the third. It just kept getting worse. At first, I felt manic and energized and happy, but then moments later I'd start to have a panic attack for no reason at all. I was very nervous, easily agitated, and panicky while somehow being manically happy at the same time.

The next couple days were worse. I started feeling really aggressive (very unusual for me; I'm very non-violent.) I had weird urges to hit people. I wanted nothing more than to be completely alone. Everyone was bothering me. I was zoning out all the time at work. I could barely taste food when I ate. I felt either completely apathetic or on the edge of a panic attack constantly.

So the third day, the depersonalization got really bad while I was trying to sleep. I felt like someone else was wearing my skin. I didn't panic like before, but I got extremely agitated and depressed. I cut myself worse than I ever had before to calm myself down, and I couldn't stop thinking of suicide. I had never seriously contemplated suicide for even a moment before Prozac. And so that was it - decided to quit taking it immediately. I felt relief after only a day of being off of it.

I guess it works really well for some people, but I will never take it again. Nevereverever.

tl; dr: side effects were increased anxiety, mania, depression, suicidal thoughts, dramatic loss of appetite, irritation/anger/moodiness, strong emotional blunting or "numbness", insomnia, and depersonalization.
post #73 of 264 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 07:15 AM
No idea

Has anyone else experienced immediate physiological side-effects after taking Prozac?

I've been taking said medication for about 2 years, and over the last year, I've felt nauseous and dizzy, forcing me to lie down and wait it out, usually a few minutes after swallowing the pill. It doesn't happen everyday, but when it does, it feels like I'm going to pass out...

A disorganized neural network full of contradictions, but with a strangely unified discomfort when it comes to being in control of a body.
post #74 of 264 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 10:34 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuromorPhish View Post
Has anyone else experienced immediate physiological side-effects after taking Prozac?
Not on 20mg, but I did on 40mg. Swallowing 40mg without chewing them up would cause diarrhea. It wasn't painful diarrhea, but it was inconvenient. Chewing the pills fixed that problem.

One thing you can try is drinking milk with your drugs instead of water. Milk is great because it contains fat. Drugs are generally more soluble in fat than they are in water, so having the drugs in the fat makes them release slower. The fat in milk is also the reason it helps a lot when eating spicy food.
post #75 of 264 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 12:53 AM
SAS Member

I wasn't able to take this medication for even a week so can't speak about the positive side effects since I didn't get the chance to experience them (I only had the pills for 5 days). I was unable to eat more than 1 meal a day. I had no energy and haven't done any work for 4 days.

Overall: I wouldn't say I'd recommend them or not recommend them from my experience but I would say to make sure you're eating enough and to chuck them out straight away if the side effects are too extreme. Would make sure to mention any eating problems and weight issues to your doctor.
post #76 of 264 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 AM
SAS Member

My advice - avoid it like the plague.
post #77 of 264 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 08:39 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by g1gglez
Treatment Experience
Prozac made me have crazy thoughts about hurting people. One night I was driving home from work and I saw a guy walking on the side of the road. Something in my head was telling me to run him over. I didn't but its scary the thoughts I was having while on prozac. It made me paranoid,really bad panic attacks, detached from reality. I thought I was going out of my mind.
SAME HERE. do you feel better?
post #78 of 264 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 06:57 PM
SAS Member

Just started prozac two weeks ago and after reading this im a little scared. But hopefully it helps me.
post #79 of 264 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:35 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie22 View Post
I'm on it currently but because my dosage is so low because I'm only 15 it doesn't seem to be helping at all =/ i don't know how it is on higher doses but it doesn't help at all......at least not for me and it has plenty of side affects like vertigo and many other things... I wouldn't recommend it at all....I really hope they put me on a new medication =/
Wow, you are so young, I really hope that you feel empowered about your treatment and understand the non-drug based options out there, including massage therapy and cognitive behaviour therapy.

When I was a teenager my doctors didn't give a damn what I thought about my own health, and today, from my education and personal research, I know how wrong and misguided they were.

just because someone is a doctor doesn't mean they know what is best for you. Be savvy.

all the best, Sea
post #80 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 06:51 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestSea View Post
Wow, you are so young, I really hope that you feel empowered about your treatment and understand the non-drug based options out there, including massage therapy and cognitive behaviour therapy.

When I was a teenager my doctors didn't give a damn what I thought about my own health, and today, from my education and personal research, I know how wrong and misguided they were.

just because someone is a doctor doesn't mean they know what is best for you. Be savvy.

all the best, Sea
Massage therapy? You're kidding right. CBT yes, but massage is up there with colour therapy and aromatherapy in terms of helping with SA isn't it?

I've just started Prozac 20mg, was on Mirtazapine but that only helped with depression and sleeping, not anxiety, and also caused me to gain 10kg and have constant stomach pain.

After only two days on Prozac my mood has lifted. Will be interesting to see how I feel in a month or so.

There is nothing to fear except fear itself... and death, and pain, and possibly spiders - although personally I don't mind them
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page