Prozac (fluoxetine) [SSRI] - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 02:41 AM
SAS Member

I was on prozac on and off or 6 years.

When I was first diagnosed with Depression it worked for a while to help uplift me, I did this combined with counselling. However I can say after that it never really worked, I was constantly depressed and often wished I was dead.

In the last few years anxiety has become a larger problem than depression and Prozac did nothing to relieve this. I have had two suicide attempts on prozac.

After 6 years of doctors saying that this was really my only option as a medication as I am allergic to Citalopram with suicide attempts and cutting and acute anxiety, to the point I couldn't go to work at all, I finally found a doctor willing to look at alternatives.

I am now on Effexor. Just started my first week, combined with CBT and psychotherapy. I hope this works because I cannot stand the constant anxiety that I feel just about every moment of my day, even sleep. My anxiety is holding me back in life and I just want to have a normal boring life where I can work and not feel like a burden on my partner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 264 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 AM
SAS Member

Did nothing for me, thought it was a sugar pill
post #43 of 264 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 01:19 PM
SAS Member

Red face

Good Experience From Prozac

This forum gave me the courage to finally ask my doctor for help and I feel like I should share my experience to help other people as well! First off, I broke down and cried when I told my doctor (it was that hard for me) He prescribed me prozac at 10 mg a day and it started helping me the first day. The next few days I had terrible head aches and was shaky when I would try to fall asleep. Those side effects went away and it has been pure bliss. The only way I can describe the feeling is that I AM ABLE TO JUST BE. I don't worry about what others think or say about me. I can read a paragraph out loud to someone without stuttering or getting nervous. I can look people in the eyes when I speak and I speak with confidence.

I know this is just a kick start to my recovery and I still need to work on public speaking. School has always been an issue for me, giving speeches and working in groups. I think that I am one step closer to mastering my SA!

post #44 of 264 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 06:11 PM
SAS Member

I was given Prozac as well, 10 mg a day. I started taking it for two days then I just quit. Since I read your thread, I might just start taking it again. Maybe it will really help me.
post #45 of 264 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 10:52 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunFlower2011 View Post
I was given Prozac as well, 10 mg a day. I started taking it for two days then I just quit. Since I read your thread, I might just start taking it again. Maybe it will really help me.
2 days isn't nearly enough to give Prozac a fair chance---it's probably the slowest acting of all the SSRIs, and you should give it AT LEAST 6 weeks to start working, maybe even a full 2 months----
post #46 of 264 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 01:41 AM
SAS Member

Prozac

Been on this now for seven years. Tried to cease twice but my anxiety and depression has always returned after two - three months. Not experienced any side effects after the first six weeks or so of taking it. Took around two months for me to feel the full therapeutic effect. Unless your having some pretty bad side effects or a severe worsening of symptoms/thoughts of suicide I would persevere for eight weeks and see where you are then.

This drug has really been a life saver for me. I've been able to work solidly, get married and have an eight month old daughter. Pre Prozac was a dark place. I do wish I could wean myself off as I don't like the thought of needing a drug to be mentally well but it's a trade off I'm happy to make for now as the alternatives are very dire.
post #47 of 264 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 03:23 PM
SAS Member

Exclamation

Update

@Sunflower2011

Please continue to take it. The first week was the hardest part for me but I hope you experience the success I did.

I wanted to update and share my recent orientation experience at my new job. It is for a very loud, outgoing, waitress position. Believe me, I was absolutely terrified to go to orientation. They made us share our name and position and do a dance move.. Surprisingly, I was calm. My heart wasn't racing, my throat didn't dry up and I didn't run for the door. I have never ever been able to speak in front of a group of new people without choking up or just running away from embarrassment.

I believe prozac somehow makes your heart rate steady in nervous situations. Another thing I noticed is I can exercise for a lot longer now without getting burned out. I think the prozac helps my heart sorta slow down? so I can actually run longer and faster.

I've never felt so good in my life.
post #48 of 264 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 03:28 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibaby View Post
@Sunflower2011

Please continue to take it. The first week was the hardest part for me but I hope you experience the success I did.

I wanted to update and share my recent orientation experience at my new job. It is for a very loud, outgoing, waitress position. Believe me, I was absolutely terrified to go to orientation. They made us share our name and position and do a dance move.. Surprisingly, I was calm. My heart wasn't racing, my throat didn't dry up and I didn't run for the door. I have never ever been able to speak in front of a group of new people without choking up or just running away from embarrassment.

I believe prozac somehow makes your heart rate steady in nervous situations. Another thing I noticed is I can exercise for a lot longer now without getting burned out. I think the prozac helps my heart sorta slow down? so I can actually run longer and faster.

I've never felt so good in my life.
I'm curious---how long have you been taking Prozac and what doses have you been on in the past and what dose are you currently on?
post #49 of 264 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Situationally Sane

It took about a month for me to fully get used to Prozac. It was horrible in the beginning. All I wanted to do was sleep and I was so drowsy it was hard to function. I was going to stop taking it but eventually the sleepiness went away.

Now I take it daily and it does a good job stabilizing my mood and keeps the depression from creeping up on me.
post #50 of 264 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:25 AM
Silverwolf94

Out of all the drugs i have taken i found this the most useless,
It had absolutely no effect on me whatsoever despite waiting up to a YEAR on it and with various increases.
I even found it worrying that i didn't have ONE side effect. It's almost as if i was taking..nothing.
post #51 of 264 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 02:23 PM
SAS Member

I was prescribed 20mg fluoxetine. I was on this dose for four months. It had zero effect on my anxiety. It also had the side effect of impotence, inability to orgasm and loss of libido.
post #52 of 264 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 02:35 PM
SAS Member

I still don't know what to think about Prozac. I've been on 10mg/day for a month and 15mg/day for a month (2 months total), and the last few days it has started to make me tired and just want to sleep and eat all the time. Of all of the SSRIs, this one seems the "weakest" of the bunch---and I've taken them all except for Luvox and the now withdrawn from the market Serzone.

Lexapro kept me stoned and zoned---sure worked good for anxiety though.

Zoloft was WAY stimulating---anxiety through the roof, diarrhea, insomnia, wired and "on edge"---but never got past 12.5mg/day---maybe I needed to take more, but was scared that all of the above side effects would multiply by several factors, so gave it up---maybe I should have given a higher dose a shot, IDK---

Celexa seemed like a "dirtier" version of Lexapro----just made me feel bad generally----it was hard to put a finger on just what didn't feel right, but definitely something wasn't right--

Paxil---one dose was enough of that one---THAT is one powerful SSRI--doc told me that too before I even tried it.

I'm starting to agree with one of the previous posters---all the SSRIs s*ck, and I guess some troopers are just lucky with them-- but not me, it seems--
post #53 of 264 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Social Engineer

I've been on Prozac for about 3 1/2 months now, and it has done it's job as an Anti-Depressant, but has shown no effect in social anxiety. If anything, it's made me much more confused of everyday life and social interactions. All in all though, it is doing much more for me than my previous medication, which was Escitalopram (Cipralex) 20mg - 4 years.
post #54 of 264 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 09:07 PM
SAS Member

I was on it for 3 months then had to stop. It did help improve my depression. I gained 30 lbs. in those three months despite working with a trainer and exercising 3-4 times a week for an hour with "normal" eating habits. I also had hallucinations at night and my mom told me I had arguments in my sleep. As I was weening myself off of Prozac, I became aware that I had dreams with me in it, I would actually speak. I hated it...
post #55 of 264 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 09:29 PM
gigglebox

I've been on Prozac going on three months now. Originally the doc prescribed 20mg but it wasn't strong enough for me, so she upped it to 40mg two months ago. Everyone has noticed a massive difference in my attitude. They all can tell I am not as upset as before going on Prozac. I used to be so angry all the time, so timid. Now I'm more outgoing and calm and cheerful. It calms me down enough for me to be myself. It's the only thing I've taken so far for depression/anxiety, and it seems to be doing wonders.

Keep smiling!
post #56 of 264 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Permanently Banned

I was looking for the section here about medication, I was on Cymbalta before but my doctor just started me yesterday on Prozac, I hadn't seen my doctor in a while so I just got re acquinted with him. I'm doing 10mg now and he also gave me a prescription for the 20mg. I'm prepared for the side effects of course, had to get myself ready for them, not sure what they will be for me but I hope it's not bad.
post #57 of 264 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Crazy? Yes! Dumb? No!

Ive been 20mg prozac for 6 months and its working wonderfully for me, my expecatations were low prior to taking them but they have really lifted up my mood in general, I can handle situations much better, I think especialy sicne I've been conditionioning myself throughout this year when it comes to social situations. Side effects for me were big libido reduction and waking up sweating every morning no matter what. Totally worth it in my opinion.
post #58 of 264 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 03:28 PM
TheObserver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
(Copied over from old review system)

Posted by g1gglez
Treatment Experience
Prozac made me have crazy thoughts about hurting people. One night I was driving home from work and I saw a guy walking on the side of the road. Something in my head was telling me to run him over. I didn't but its scary the thoughts I was having while on prozac. It made me paranoid,really bad panic attacks, detached from reality. I thought I was going out of my mind.
sounds like you were getting depersonalization while using the medication, it's been said that depersonalization can be a symtom of this medication and it can also help people with depersonalization like myself
post #59 of 264 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 01:59 AM
SAS Member

prozac is crap

I was on prozac for 7 years.Its junk,crap.It doesnt do anything.It didnt remove my depression or anxiety.Thank God for stablon(tianeptine).It cured my depression and anxiety
post #60 of 264 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 12:39 PM
SAS Member

Condition Being Treated:
Severe atypical depression.

Other Drugs I'm Still Taking:
-150mg bupropion

I was already taking bupropion, I added fluoxetine, and these are the things that changed:

Rating: 5/5
One major problem with other SSRI drugs was the withdrawal. I could feel citalopram withdrawal at the end of the day, and it was horrible. It would make me emotionally unstable. Sertraline was even worse because I could take it in the morning and feel the withdrawal while I'm still at work (update: this was happening because the dosage was far too low). I specifically asked for fluoxetine because it has an incredibly long half-life that is measured in days instead of hours. As expected, fluoxetine never crashes. I could skip the pills for several days and still not feel any withdrawal. I'm so glad that I don't need to deal with constant drug crashes anymore. I bet fluoxetine and citalopram would make an interesting combination, but I haven't been able to test that.

Positive Effects:
-Very long half-life. This drug never crashes.
-While citalopram would cause body anxiety and tense muscles, fluoxetine seems to do the opposite. I can take fluoxetine then lay down in a comfortable position.
-Fluoxetine makes everything feel softer. After taking 40mg of fluoxetine, snuggling is the most enjoyable thing in the world. It doesn't matter if it's a person or a stuffed animal.
-Fluoxetine sometimes causes closed-eye hallucinations. If I close my eyes, I immediately start dreaming. The dreaming stops as soon as I open my eyes again. It's very similar to the type of hallucinations experienced on MDMA.
-My body is a lot faster to warm up and stay warm. Cold rooms don't bother me as much as they did in the past.
-My girlfriend says I'm a lot more relaxed and agreeable on this drug.
-fluoxetine counters the physical anxiety caused by caffeine. I can drink all the coffee in the world without getting shaky.
-Alcohol makes me more social than ever. Even 2 beers is enough to get me talking for hours.

Negative Effects:
-Swallowing the capsules whole causes major diarrhea. The pills must be chewed first. This no longer happens.
-The content of the capsules is a strong irritant. I tried putting a fluoxetine under my tongue to see what it would do, and it ended up causing severe irritation in my mouth. It took about 4 days for my mouth to heal.
-Fluoxetine severely impairs cognition. If I take this before work, very little work gets done. I'm a lot more forgetful and absent minded these days. I seem to procrastinate more while taking fluoxetine.
-Fluoxetine completely blocks the effects of MDMA.
-I started to crave nicotine after I started taking Prozac. I've been puffing on nicotine inhalers to deal with this, otherwise I would be a chain smoker. I've never been a smoker and I don't plan on starting.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page