Prozac (fluoxetine) [SSRI] - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 01:12 AM
Lost in Space

SSRI's all numb me.. and it sucks. it's like cutting off your arm because it hurts. your arm doesnt hurt anymore but its only because you dont have it anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 01:10 PM
New mum to summer rose

SSRI's tend to make you numb IF you weren't numb prior to taking them
My depression was numbing and filled with an ongoing sense of dread and anhedonia
Because of this, SSRI's, SNRI's and TCA's all mildly took away any numbness and anhedonia i once had at first and fluoxetine was no different at FIRST as it did decrease my depressive symptoms and increase sociability but like himi jendnrix said, the impulsive behavior was bad as was the slight hypomanic symptoms in me, which came and went basically within a couple of days but coming off them did stop the weird erratic manic behavior and impulsive social weirdness (asking a complete stranger out for coffee in the morning right in a music store )

So with the side effects (weight gain, tiredness and stupidity) being stronger than the mild anti-depressive and over sociable effects, i tapered off them but it was an easy taper and much more smooth than paxill or effexor
over all quite an easy drug and less harmful to withdraw from, maybe not an effective severe depression/dysthymia treatment though

"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say why not? "
RFK quoting George Bernard Shaw

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
post #23 of 264 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 10:18 AM
SAS Member

i hav been on prozac (fluoxetine) for over a week now and its ineffective compared to cipralex. but who knows maybe i need more time on it

post #24 of 264 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 02:29 AM
New mum to summer rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by luchiss View Post
i hav been on prozac (fluoxetine) for over a week now and its ineffective compared to cipralex. but who knows maybe i need more time on it
you need a bit more time on it but if you start to feel a bit hyper or over sociable then look at stopping them because they are no good for mood disorders or borderline bipolar

"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say why not? "
RFK quoting George Bernard Shaw

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
post #25 of 264 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 09:23 AM
OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by luchiss:1059016177
Definitely give it some more time. Prozac took a solid 4-5 weeks to level out in my system. For some it takes even longer
post #26 of 264 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 04:35 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lonely
Went from 10mg to 20mg, to 30mg, to 60mg...
I find that prozac dulls emotions. My psychiatrist said it's supposed to raise my floor on my depression, and it does that a fair amount, but it also seems to have limited my ceiling as well.
Anxiety isn't really an issue at all, but now instead of being too nervous or afraid to go out and do stuff now I'm simply not motivated to go out at all, so I've traded one problem for another really.
I'm very apathetic now (as opposed to being more empathetic before the meds), and I seem to have become quite anti-social as of late. I don't like going anywhere or doing anything even if I'm invited out, while before the meds I used to wish someone (anyone) would invite me out someplace.
I used to be extremely eating disordered, starving and binging, obsessive over calorie count, but now I don't even think about that stuff. If I want something I eat it, and I don't feel bad at all because of it.
I seem to be more interested in reading and learning that I was previously, but this comes and goes.
As for sex stuff, it's changed how things feel... I have less sensation than I used to. Doing anything by myself can be frustrating some times, but it seems much easier to reach climax with someone else than it used to be. Orgasms feel different, perhaps not as strong or as "good" as I'm used to, but far more consistent in the feeling I experience. I also find I think about sex somewhat less frequently than I used to, which I like.
I find that caffeine (starbucks coffee) in addition to the prozac tends to result me having some of my better and often most productive days.
Alcohol in addition to prozac seems to be a very good combination for me as it puts me in a very good mood, makes me extremely social, extremely motivated to go out and go things, and just causes me to enjoy myself.
I'm pushing to have a stimulant added in order to boost my mood/drive similar to how the caffeine or alcohol do, but without the side effects of either.
Long process ahead of me still, long way to go, but progress is slowly being made.

SAGITTARIUS♐️
INTJ-T - The Architect
INTP-T - The Logician

"May I remind you again, this is a dream, and in dreams you can do anything you darn please!"
~The Legion Of Doom (Dangerous Business Since 1979)

|Psych 101|
post #27 of 264 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 07:29 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalEVE View Post
I find that prozac dulls emotions. ...now I'm simply not motivated to go out at all, so I've traded one problem for another really.
I'm very apathetic now (as opposed to being more empathetic before the meds), and I seem to have become quite anti-social as of late. I don't like going anywhere or doing anything even if I'm invited out, while before the meds I used to wish someone (anyone) would invite me out someplace.
I had the same problem with Prozac (not to mention Celexa and Zoloft which I tried afterward).

I was a walking zombie. Didn't care if I lived or died. Complete apathy. If someone pulled a gun on me, I swear I would have looked at the barrel and said in a calm voice, "Nice gun. Where did you get it?"

Needless to say, I couldn't live like that so I got off them.
post #28 of 264 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 09:55 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman Lowell View Post
I had the same problem with Prozac (not to mention Celexa and Zoloft which I tried afterward).

I was a walking zombie. Didn't care if I lived or died. Complete apathy. If someone pulled a gun on me, I swear I would have looked at the barrel and said in a calm voice, "Nice gun. Where did you get it?"

Thats Awesome! I wish I felt that way. Being a hypochondriac you worry all the time about dieing.
post #29 of 264 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 12:50 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman Lowell View Post

I'm nowhere near zombie level yet (even at 60mg) but I'm definitely more of one than I used to be. Yeah it sorta helps keep me from feeling as bad about things, but it also keeps me from feeling really good. That's where I find stuff like caffeine or alcohol helps. I know alcohol is supposed to be a depressant, but it affects my mood more like a stimulant.
Unfortunately caffeine makes me physically sick and sleepy when I crash, and alcohol makes me sleepy and gives me hot flashes... so I try to stay away from that stuff and use it only when I feel REALLY bad.

All I know with 100% certainty is that the prozac IS helping, I can feel it's affect, but there is a tradeoff. It keeps me from breaking down and crying over how much life sucks, and really takes the edge off my depressed moods, and anxiety isn't an issue for me at all now... but I need something to make me feel GOOD if I'm going to truly function and be able to address the stuff in my life that I find unsatisfying.

SAGITTARIUS♐️
INTJ-T - The Architect
INTP-T - The Logician

"May I remind you again, this is a dream, and in dreams you can do anything you darn please!"
~The Legion Of Doom (Dangerous Business Since 1979)

|Psych 101|
post #30 of 264 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 01:49 PM
SAS Member

I just started prozac 20mg. I will see how this goes. I don't mind it as of yet with out any side effects, woot woot!
post #31 of 264 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 04:39 AM
SAS Member

Was on prozac 20mg for about a month but tapered it off because I would get this feeling of 'doom'. not sure if that was feeling of anxiety, depression or despair.
And the I guess the capsule of the med gave me heartburns too..

Was no good for me.
post #32 of 264 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 01:31 PM
SAS Member

*Sidenote* I've been on meds for 12 years.

When I started (10mg) I was going on a vacation with my family. I remember at first it made me jittery/hyper and gave me a lot of energy, I felt great! but then there were times I would cry hysterically & had suicidal thoughts in my hotel room. Maybe some form of mania?

When I returned to my shrink he upped my dosage (20mg) SMH. I began to eat more, became constipated & ultimately very lethargic. Currently I am weaning myself off Prozac, hopefully to never go on antidepressants again.
post #33 of 264 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:42 PM
SAS Member

Treatment Experience

I took Prozac two separate times. The first time that I took it, I was taking 20mg a day. My mood was elevated, which is great if you suffer from depression, but I wasn't suffering from depression. I have social and general anxiety. Prozac made me lose my sex drive completely. I wouldn't ever get aroused. The anxiety was still there, I was just happier more often. So I switched to something else.

Later, I returned to Prozac, thinking maybe I didn't give it a fair shot. On day 3 of my second attempt with Prozac, I had the first anxiety attack I had had in months. I would personally not recommend Prozac for anxiety disorders, but I'm sure that some find it helpful.
post #34 of 264 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 08:35 AM
SAS Member

My school doctor prescribed me this, but told me it was zoloft. From my understanding, you must take this in the morning. Well she told me, since I was taking sleep medication, that if I took this medication at night, I would no longer need the sleeping pills.

Prior to this, before I went to college, my mom made me take hers, because I was extremely depressed. After about 6 weeks I changed into a monster. I yelled at my parents calling them bad names, and when they went to restrain me I, barefooted, ran outside and tried to run away. My parents thought it was just a phase (you know, teenagers trying to outwit their parents). I thought that too, until the second time I was on the medication.

It made me lie. I didn't want to lie, but I HAD to. I would imagine things in my head (not see them) and relay them as if they were facts. I would drive horribly and race cars that were unaware of my intentions. I wanted to die, everynight. I had no sexual pleasure nor did I want it. I stopped taking it after four miserable months when my neropsychologist professor told me it wasn't what I needed.

This is how they found out I was bipolar. If this happens to you, you might want to see a professional and see if you suffer from something other than regular severe depression.
post #35 of 264 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 10:21 PM
SAS Member

i was on it for years and was fine, i got off it and became stressed off and i think i had a mild stroke. it helped me in every aspect, ocd, bpd, depression and anixety...
i got back on it recently and am getting better by the second. they should put it in the water!!!
post #36 of 264 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 10:05 AM
CHEERUPTHEWORSTISYET2COME

I'm a 27 year old male in decent shape .... About 4 months ago I went to the emergency room with what I thought was breathing problem and a swollen throat and a feeling of extreme nerves.. They did some tests and told me that I had anxiety I felt like this in the past but did not know it was this so anyways they sent me to a psychiatrist and they prescribe me buspar and zoloft not to be taking together but to see which one works best well the buspar was bad headache vomiting sweating ect... So I tried the zoloft but after a week of using the zoloft I've been having sexual side effects and I've never had problems like this until I tried zoloft when I talked to my doctor she said that it didn't seem right that it usually takes longer when taking zoloft to have those tyPes of side effects Im just trying to find out is this normal tk have side effects like this in one week... And if anyone knows any other anxiety meds that don't have sexual side effect ,she put me on welbutrin and said there no sex side affects with this one but I don't know how well this med works for anxiety btw she gave me Ativan and these works great but she said she don't want me on these for long because there habit forming
post #37 of 264 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 12:13 PM
SAS Member

Background
I have SA, a lot of general anxiety. What I would classify as being severe major depression with suicidal tenancies (no self-harm). It's intermittent. I now have hypothyroidism which has exacerbated my anxiety.

Treatment
I've been on it twice (the first, for about 8 months) and on both occasions have had "sexual dysfunction" which for me meant-

Firstly I found it very hard to orgasm. Even if I wanted to I couldn't.
Then my sex drive diminished to almost nothing and even if I did have sex I still couldn't achieve orgasm.

This has been the major problem with me being on this kind of medication.
post #38 of 264 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 12:27 AM
All your base.

I'm on 40mg/day of Fluoxetine right now and have been for the past four years. The side effects have changed as time went by but I have always experienced some negative stuff while on it. It has emotionally numbed me but I still have anxiety attacks now and then. I'm also experiencing severe sexual dysfunction, to the point where I feel almost asexual.

Also, when I try to stop taking this medication, I'm stuck in a constant state of panic.
post #39 of 264 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 01:18 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

I've been on 30mg for 2 months and it felt like it was helping my depression a little bit at first but it shot right back down recently and it never helped my anxiety at all I also don't find that I'm not really hungry when I'm on it (but that could just be my depression)and I get really bad headaches from it occasionally.
post #40 of 264 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 02:24 PM
just me

I was on it for a year and quit because of the side-effects almost committed suicide was cutting really dangerous drug should consult a doctor maybe a few doctors before trying to get off of it.

Don't spread false information that's also bordering, on doseage advice.

Have a working healthy relationship with your doctor.

Major depressive disorder
Bi-Polar Disorder
Social Anxiety
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page