Paxil (paroxetine) [SSRI] - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 311 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 04:24 PM

I had mild side effects that lasted for about 3 weeks when I first started it when I was 16. Loss of appetite, tiredness, stuff like that. Not the weight gain though! WOO!

I wondered what the withdrawl symptoms were like so I skipped it for two days. Holy. Crap. The brain zaps were crazy, the anxiety was nothing like I have ever felt before, even hot flashes!

I really don't know if it worked or if I improved my anxiety/depression by getting older.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 311 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Spectacular Member

I am on Paxil at 20-40mg and I feel GREAT mood wise! I havent felt this awesome in a long time. I think I am hypomanic but oh well The only side effect I have is drowsiness, which could just be my Fibromyalgia.

As for anxiety, it only minimally helps, but that's okay cause I got Xanax for that.

post #43 of 311 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 03:32 PM
SAS Member

It helped for social anxiety. It exasperated other issues. For myself, SA is a secondary byproduct. The lack of anxiety I was suddenly experiencing resulting in insanely bizarre behavior. Sometimes anxiety is good because it can tell your mind and body that certain situations are not optimal! Paxil basically encouraged delusional and non-regulated behavior - a disaster if you have impulse control issues.

We do not change as we grow older; we just become more clearly ourselves.

post #44 of 311 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:07 PM
SAS Member

Let's see... I was on one tablet of Paxil each day (not exactly sure how much that is) earlier this year (I'm 13), but that didn't go too well. I only took it for about two weeks before it kicked in and it was horrible. The first day it had full effect I threw a textbook at someone, had an emotional breakdown and had a horrible argument with mom (something I usually don't do). I told my dad but he thought I was still prejudiced from the Prozac and ignored me so I decided to stop taking it and fake take it, I didn't want to hurt anyone. The first day i faked a dose I had a severe headache and was really angry for a few days. They figured it out after about four months, but it wasn't too bad, at least I don't have to take it anymore. Anyway I didn't want more lasting side effects like the ones I got from Prozac.
post #45 of 311 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 03:38 AM
SAS Member

The side effects of Paxil are not worth it I dont think.

A womens infant dies at 58 days old due to her taking Paxil during pregnancy. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38311143/ns/health

It's recommended that you take the drug if you 18 years or older. If not ...ehh its not good...
post #46 of 311 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 06:30 AM
SAS Member

As i told in the begin i do not suffer from social fobia but my husband does.Since 4 months he is taking paroxetin it works quite good and the side effect he had in the begin of the treatment are improved some disapeard.
As i could read paroxetin is very good medicine.
Hope it continue to help.For the social fobia he is under psicoterapie
post #47 of 311 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:24 PM
SAS Member

Pexeva (Paxil reformulation)

I've had some success on Pexeva, a newer version of Paxil. It didn't cause nearly the shock and withdrawal symptoms of the regular IR Paxil. Also its one of the few FDA approved meds that is approved for all 4 of the major anxiety disorders. Generalized Anxiety, OCD, Social Anxiety and Panic Disorder. I felt relief on all four symptoms and didn't really feel drugged on it. I noticed one day when I was bowling I felt more comfortable talking to strangers and my muscles felt more relaxed throwing the ball. There was some sexual side effects (like all SSRIs). It wasn't quite as activating as some other meds, so an augment with a stimulant or exercise may be needed for some people. I may try this again since I found it helpful.
post #48 of 311 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 11:59 AM
ANxiouS ANXIOUS anxious

i am so glad to hear that you have come to a point of happiness in your life. how young do you think is to young to be put on paxil? my mother knows about my disorder and is willing to get me medication and help...

"Eckhart saw Hell too. He said: The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth."
post #49 of 311 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:26 PM
SAS Member

After a brief skim looks like everyone's experience is similar. But to restate again, if you're male and have any interest in having orgasms (from either sex OR masturbation) then this is probably not the medication for you. Of course if it did wonders for your depression and or anxiety the sexual side effects may become worth it and tolerable, but for me they did absolutely nothing. And coming off them is a terrible terrible experience, if feels like you're tripping out on a drug or something. Crazy brain shocks every few minutes like you've just been on an elevator and it comes to a dead stop, along with terrible feelings of depression, sweating, trouble sleeping.
post #50 of 311 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 12:59 AM
Spectacular Member

I'm at a mere 20mg and it seems to help my depression a LOT and doesn't do much for my SA though.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #51 of 311 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Beautiful Mess

I finally weened off this med. It pooped out on me and stopped working. I am now on Cymbalta which is not doing much for my social anxiety. ugh

If you fall- fall on your back. If you can look up- you can get up. Les Brown
post #52 of 311 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 09:29 PM
j0e
SAS Member

I took this med about a year or 2 ago consistently for about 4 or 5 months for depression, durring which time I gained about 40 pounds total and always felt numb. Over time my depression problems went away even though I stopped taking the medication.

Recently my doctor prescribed me it at 10 mg a day when I told him I was having social anxiety problems. I took it for about 2 weeks and gained 4 pounds even though I'm on a strict diet/exercise schedule ( I lost 71 pounds over the last 3 months, so gaining was unusual).

Overall : Left me with a numb feeling and lack of interest in anything, and caused major weight gain.
post #53 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:45 PM
MBL
Comatose.

Angry

Paxil = evil

HI

I took Paxil on a dosage upto 30mg.

It gave me:
  1. Seizure activity
  2. Mood Swings
  3. Hyper/Manic episodes
  4. Feeling of mild confusion
  5. No benifit
  6. Outbursts

I hate this drug. One of the very worst medications I was ever given.

YUCK!!!

-MBL
post #54 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 10:23 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBL View Post
HI

I took Paxil on a dosage upto 30mg.

It gave me:
  1. Seizure activity
  2. Mood Swings
  3. Hyper/Manic episodes
  4. Feeling of mild confusion
  5. No benifit
  6. Outbursts

I hate this drug. One of the very worst medications I was ever given.

YUCK!!!

-MBL
Not doing much for me either..........I get really bad sleep disturbances, mild hallucinations in the morning and irritability.

However, I will wait it out another month because I'm desperate to get better. Here we go month number three....
post #55 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 12:51 AM
SAS Member

Was on paxil a few years back for SA. I recall it took a few weeks to kick in and I slept and slept, increased anxiety and gave me a restless leg for a couple weeks. It was pretty tough. After the side effects died down I started to feel a bit better so over the next 6 months I increased the dose to 60mg and felt decent. I stayed on paxil for a couple years before I decided to ween myself off of it for various reasons. two years later the SA is back and currently on lexapro with lackluster results.
post #56 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 01:01 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnie View Post
Not doing much for me either..........I get really bad sleep disturbances, mild hallucinations in the morning and irritability.

However, I will wait it out another month because I'm desperate to get better. Here we go month number three....

It is very strange how these medications work for one person and not another. The brain is a strange thing. For me Paxil had horrible side effects for a few weeks but they quickly died down. After that it was ok. The only long term side effect I really had was weight gain.

After 4 months I would consider a change if you are not improving by then. Talk with the doc and see what they think.. maybe dose is too high?
post #57 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 07:36 PM
SAS Member

I have been on this drug for over 10 years (do I have the world record?) I started in June '99. The side effects were bad the first few months but since then I have had no problems. I am on the maximum dose, 80mg. It has helped me in the sense that it seems to "take the edge off" social difficulties.

To be frank — As far as the sexual side effects go, I have always had a good sex drive (however I have never been with anybody nor in a relationship because of the SA) but have never been able to have an orgasm.
post #58 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:52 PM
SAS Member

Well that's too bad that most people in this thread haven't had very good experiences with Paxil. I've posted before but I'll just update. I take 40mg daily. The only side effect I get is tiredness. I always feel like I could fall asleep at any point in the day, so that can be tough, but I wouldn't say it's extreme drowsiness or anything. I haven't noticed increased appetite or weight gain. No nausea. I started at a very low dose and have increased slowly, so that helped avoid any nausea.

It has helped me immensely with my anxiety and physical symptoms. It completely eliminated my nausea, sickness in the mornings due to anxiety, panic attacks, knots in my stomach. Those had become overbearing and I could barely get through my morning routine without feeling like giving up. It has also decreased my paranoid thoughts and anxiety, allowing me to do things without over-thinking and talking myself out of them. I've been able to accomplish things I've never done before. As with many drugs, if I forget to take Paxil and miss a couple days, I can suffer some extreme suicidal and unstable thoughts, so one must be careful with that. Aside those incidents, all I've had is a really positive experience with it.
post #59 of 311 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 06:39 PM
SAS Member

Paxil didn't seem to do much either way for me, and the withdrawal made me super super sick to my stomach and I felt a lot less "sickly" off. Looks like other people have had some problems too.
post #60 of 311 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 08:55 PM
SAS Member

I've been on Paxil since I was 15 and I am 23 now so thats 8 years. It has saved my life. I don't know what I would have done without it and I really don't want to think about it. I take 30 mg
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page