Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f139/)
-   -   Paxil (paroxetine) [SSRI] (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f139/paxil-paroxetine-ssri-84111/)

IrishMike1984 11-16-2011 02:25 PM

Paxil

I have been on 60 mgs. of Paxil, 4 mgs. of clonazepam, 80 mg. of propanol and wellbutrin for the sex side effects of paxil and everything is working fine. This was through the government too. MHMRA of Harris county gives me free meds even though I have a job and let them know.

IrishMike1984 11-16-2011 02:42 PM

I have not had the withdrawals as I heard how bad they were and refuse to come off of paxil unless I taper the dose down.

Forza Italia 11-19-2011 07:21 PM

Paxil doesn't do shet for me. But I do love one of it's side-effects, the ejaculation prolonging, hehe :D

melgreeneyes 11-20-2011 08:35 AM

I've been trying to adjust to Paxil for a month now and I'm about ready to give up. I was prescribed this drug for anxiety. My history with meds is Lexapro for 6 months for depression about 4 yrs ago. I've also been on Ambien to help me sleep for many years - I take just 5 mgs.

I began having some anxiety attacks a few months ago - we believe they are the result of some post traumatic stress MONTHS and MONTHS after a very traumatic life event.

Anyway - I have been on my Ambien along with Xanax as needed for a few months. Began in therapy and finally opted to try an SSRI for anxiety and some associated depression.

Because I have a BAD stomach (Irritable Bowel) - and am prone to nausea we began at a very low dose. That is 5 mgs of Paxil at bedtime on a full stomach. I started out okay but then began to experience nausea in the middle of night and waking up nauseated. Also dizzyness, vivid dreams, sweating. I was told to skip a night which I did and I felt MUCH better. I felt great after skipping - no anxiety, felt CALM and not shakey or dizzy. But the nausea would continue - a very raw, nasty feeling in my stomach - like I had not eaten in days. Eating did not improve it. Taking a Xanax would help though. When I say taking a Xanax we are talking a SMALL SMALL dose - that is .25 mgs and I get relief.

I'd go back to my .5 mgs of Paxil - feel okay during the day but then after a few days - back to very dizzy during day, drugged out and nauseated.

I just can't seem to adjust to this drug. I've been doing this for 4 weeks now. The other day was the worst. I felt lousy on Wed after taking 5 mgs the night before. I took .25 of Xanax mid day (as per my doctor) and I felt relief. That night I took no Paxil. Thurs I felt better but the nauseated feeling returned that night. I tried 1/4 of a Paxil - that is 2.5 mg. Friday I felt good but still no appetite, nauseated. Went back to 5 mgs of Paxil that night and had BAD dreams, sweating, nauseated etc. And Saturday (yesterday) during the day I felt VERY dizzy, nauseated, shakey etc. I was exhausted - felt drugged out. Took a nap that afternoon and passed out that night unable to keep my eyes open. Keep in mind I had not taken ANY drug since night before and slept all night with no ambien, xanax or paxil.

Today I'm exhausted - nauseated, dizzy.

Initially I really thought Paxil was going to help me - but I can't seem to adjust or hang in there with the debilitating side effects. I have read that it is not a good drug for people with bad stomachs or Irritable Bowel but yet others who have bad stomach issues seem to do okay.

I'm very disappointed as I really thought this was going to help me.

Green Eyes 01-04-2012 12:00 PM

I started with Paxil (20mg) 2 weeks ago. The first few days I was feeling a bit nauseous, but now I don't think I feel any different than before I started taking them. I do feel very tired but I don't know if that has anything do to with paxil. I hope this will help me feel less anxious. At the moment I feel a little bit more anxious. The doctor said it will take weeks to work and even months to totally feel it. I'm so sick of this anxiety. I want to live.

cham56 01-04-2012 03:18 PM

I take 20mg at night. First 9 days were rough. It's been 2months, feel less anxious, not tired, no more nausea, feel pretty good these days. Anxiety is still there, but diminished.

vaness 01-04-2012 03:31 PM

I have been taking 10 mg for a month and I no longer have anxiety or depression.

john kimble 01-22-2012 10:44 AM

Anybody drink alcohol while on this drug?

renegade disaster 01-22-2012 02:48 PM

i'm on this drug except here in the uk it is sold as seroxat. started on 20mg and had some really bad sleep problems then they gradually disappeared after a week or so of use and changing my dosage time. I got a lot of the other side effects too but they seem to be restricted to when I first started taking it. however after a month or so I found that the positive side of the drug was wearing off and my mood swings were returning so I upped the dosage to 30mg a day and thats what i'm on now. its controlling my moods quite well atm and i'm not having many problems apart from putting on weight, the ejaculation issues and the occasional problems sleeping. but it seems like a lot of side effects really for such a little change in how I feel. I also get tired and sleepy whenever I have to concentrate really hard which is weird. i'm not sure about my future with this ssri, I may try to up to the maximum dosage gradually and see what that brings if it keeps wearing off or I may decide to come off it gradually without trying to up to maximum dose.

john kimble 01-23-2012 06:02 AM

^^ damn I hope it works well for you. Im on 10 mg now and will increase to 20mg within 2 weeks just to adjust.

renegade disaster 01-23-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john kimble (Post 1059601662)
^^ damn I hope it works well for you. Im on 10 mg now and will increase to 20mg within 2 weeks just to adjust.

thanks ,good luck with yours.btw I meant to say in my previous i've drunk alcohol with this before too. I think its ok but be careful not to go too far as it will affect you more easily.

Guadapada 01-23-2012 12:27 PM

I was on paxil for about 4 years, age 18-22, and while it seemed to do nothing for depression, the anxiety had just about vanished! I had never had a girlfriend and it was very difficult for me to even approach anyone, let alone the opposite sex, but when I got on Paxil I started to date like crazy and eventually scored myself a girlfriend. I didn't experience any side-effects besides the loss of libido and quasi-ED, which, while horrible, were fine because I got further with girls on Paxil than I ever had, so not being able to pop a boner 50% of the time was acceptable. I really blossomed into who I wanted to be when I was on Paxil. I was unafraid to do anything. Or even if I was afraid, the fear seemed of little consequence, if that makes any sense to you.

I got drunk from time to time, and found that the Paxil made me black out a lot easier, I would black out all the time. In case you're wondering what mixing booze with this can do, besides making the drug less effective.

However the despair in me never dissipated, and the sexual thing really started to get to me since I had, after some time, forgotten that I was a mouse before I started taking Paxil, and so I decided to take myself off of it. I tapered down very slowly (because I'm not an idiot, no offense) and felt no side-effects or withdrawal. It has been 2 years since I've not taken Paxil and I am back to where I was. A mouse. It seemed to take about 6 months before I reverted back to the way I was. Now I am considering going back on the drug, though I would rather be drug free.

Oh, also, I decided to call it off with my girlfriend and have not been able to muster any gumption to get another one. And guess what? the sexual side-effects NEVER went away. I'm 24 now and never horny.

And so I think Paxil definitely works, for me it did I mean. Though it certainly is only chemical courage, and once you go off, you're right back. Good luck.

anvp 01-30-2012 04:59 PM

Experienced Brain Zaps while TAKING Paxil, not after quitting

I was hesitant to try Paxil after reading about the withdrawal effects, but after realizing I've been dealing with social anxiety my entire life, I decided it couldn't hurt. I took 10mg once daily.

On days 2-7 I was waking up at 6am each morning. This had to be the medication because I was used to sleeping in til 9am or later since I was on winter break from school. I took the pill around 8pm, I don't know if changing the time I took it would've affected the way it woke me up...

Anyway, on morning of day 6, as I lay in bed trying to go back to sleep, I was getting the brain zaps you're supposed to get from withdrawal. I looked into it, and though brain zaps are common enough during withdrawal, they do happen less often while you're actually on Paxil. Getting these shocks while TAKING the medication freaked me out, and I cut my pills in half for 3 more days and quit taking them.

In the short time I took this medication the only thing I noticed was it was very difficult to orgasm... honestly, one time I was trying I might as well have been rubbing my toe.

solitarian 02-19-2012 07:47 PM

Paxil Experience

I have been on Paxil for nine months, starting at 20mg and increasing to 40mg. It took three months to work and I almost gave up before I finally started to notice some benefits.

As for side effects, at first I experienced fatigue, but this subsided after I switched to taking it at night. I still feel a little tired sometimes, but it's not too bad. Sexual side effects are as advertised, but this makes no difference since I am not sexually active. Aside from these minor side effects, I have not experienced anything major.

The biggest benefit from Paxil is that it greatly reduces my sensitivity to rejection, and thus increases my social confidence. I started a public contact job after I started Paxil, and situations that would have previously made me reel for days don't impact me much at all. I don't care anymore what people think of me. Unfortunately, reducing sensitivity to rejection is not the same as reducing anxiety symptoms. I still feel anxious in social situations; I just don't feel the deep rejection anymore.

For my depression, Paxil has worked ok but it doesn't really stimulate me; it just ensures that I don't hit rock bottom, that is unless I have too much alcohol to drink. I would not drink alcohol while on Paxil because it counteracts the effects of the medicine. As for me, I limit myself to one beer if I drink. In any case, I have chronic low mood (dysthymia) which is notoriously difficult to treat with anti-depressants, so I'm pretty happy with the results even though they are not stellar. On a side note, Paxil has done nothing to ease my trichotillomania.

Overall, I'm happy with Paxil. It has eliminated 90% of my sensitivity to rejection, but like any medication, it's not a wonder drug. Medication can only do so much. You have to do the rest.

The Professor 02-19-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solitarian (Post 1059678541)
I have been on Paxil for nine months, starting at 20mg and increasing to 40mg. It took three months to work and I almost gave up before I finally started to notice some benefits.

As for side effects, at first I experienced fatigue, but this subsided after I switched to taking it at night. I still feel a little tired sometimes, but it's not too bad. Sexual side effects are as advertised, but this makes no difference since I am not sexually active. Aside from these minor side effects, I have not experienced anything major.

The biggest benefit from Paxil is that it greatly reduces my sensitivity to rejection, and thus increases my social confidence. I started a public contact job after I started Paxil, and situations that would have previously made me reel for days don't impact me much at all. I don't care anymore what people think of me. Unfortunately, reducing sensitivity to rejection is not the same as reducing anxiety symptoms. I still feel anxious in social situations; I just don't feel the deep rejection anymore.

For my depression, Paxil has worked ok but it doesn't really stimulate me; it just ensures that I don't hit rock bottom, that is unless I have too much alcohol to drink. I would not drink alcohol while on Paxil because it counteracts the effects of the medicine. As for me, I limit myself to one beer if I drink. In any case, I have chronic low mood (dysthymia) which is notoriously difficult to treat with anti-depressants, so I'm pretty happy with the results even though they are not stellar. On a side note, Paxil has done nothing to ease my trichotillomania.

Overall, I'm happy with Paxil. It has eliminated 90% of my sensitivity to rejection, but like any medication, it's not a wonder drug. Medication can only do so much. You have to do the rest.

exactly what it did for me! (among many things)

millenniumman75 02-19-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solitarian (Post 1059678541)

weight gain! :fall
I run 24 miles a week and STILL gained 40 pounds at one point. :fall

There's also bruxism (teeth clenching). I just had a crown put on a tooth that had a broken filling due to bruxism.

Minnow 02-23-2012 10:05 AM

I have social anxiety and depression, and used to have panic disorder (in remission). I started with klonopin for the panic attacks and to get over my fear of taking psychoactive medication, and that has really helped me and continues to be a lifesaver in many situations.

I did not respond to maxed-out doses of Celexa or Cymbalta, so I started Paxil at 40mg about five-six months ago. Paxil was the first drug that seemed to give me any relief from the anxiety, and at around week 4, I was feeling much better than I had in years. Unfortunately, it also made me quite tired and yawn-y, and I had a horrible time motivating myself to do things.

I augmented the Paxil with 150mg bupropion and found that helped a lot with the motivation, but also made me jittery and anxious again. My sleep quality got pretty bad, and I clench my jaw all night. I am now taking 60mg Paxil (an annoying dose because the pills aren't scored, so I have to cut/bite them in half) and 150mg bupropion, and feel somewhat okay sometimes, but my overall improvement has been very mild. I can make myself go in social situations and classes, but I rely on the klonopin as a safety net - I only need it once or twice a week, but I don't go out without it. My anxiety isn't as bad as it used to be - in social settings, I hover around 6-7 out of 10 instead of 9 out of 10 like I used to get, and if it gets above a 7 I'll take a klonopin to help calm down.

I do think the Paxil has helped me, and as the first drug that has, I am reluctant to try something else that may be able to help a little more. My psychiatrist would like to add buspar, and she's recommended I go back to therapy since I seem somewhat medication-resistant - I haven't been seeing a therapist for about three months right now. So hopefully those things well help over the next few weeks? I really don't want to give on the Paxil yet.

blinds8 02-23-2012 11:57 AM

I was on wellbutrin and paxil got off the wellbutrin and paxil now on lithium and seroquel it certainly is a process but paxil hurt me more than it helped.

blinds8 02-23-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pax80a (Post 1059428228)
paxil was a nightmare for me. the side effects were awful and the withdrawal was an encounter with the devil.
Dangerous drug.

mmhmm amen.:popcorn

GD8 02-25-2012 04:39 PM

I hate my social anxiety but these drugs don't seem worth it at all if you're a male. not being able to get a boner would make me feel ****tier than I ever would without taking this drug.