Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f139/)
-   -   Paxil (paroxetine) [SSRI] (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f139/paxil-paroxetine-ssri-84111/)

senrab 07-21-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShyUK (Post 1059160887)
I first went one paroxetine when i was 19 it worked well and gave me a 'don't give a damn' attitude to shyness. I was it for 2 years then came off it. I was on 20mg.

I started taking it again when I was 25 again 20mg (I'm 31 now) but this time it didn't have the same affect. I think maybe because I need a higher dose now but the side effects are so bad that is not possible.

It makes me sweat really bad especially in the face. I'm not a sweaty person usually. For someone with social phobia the last thing you want is for your face to start leaking in public, at work etc it's massively embarrassing. I also get bad dry mouth and poor/erratic sex libido.

I'm now coming off it I have been putting it off due to the horrendous withdraws last time. I tried to go cold turkey this time but it was horrible, electric shocks when moving eyes, feeling lifeless and groggy. Yuck.

I've now drawn a chart to take slowly decrease the dose over 3 months. You must come off this VERY slowly to prevent withdrawals.

Just out of interest, if you went cold turkey (not advisable) how long would those horrendous symptoms last for?

Cold turkey is hideous...once I ran out of meds and it got so bad by the 3rd day that I couldn't drive. I don't ever want to find out how long the withdrawal symptoms last. I am currently tapering off from 80mg, I'm down to 70 so far and haven't had a lot of problems (YET)

GJ1978 07-21-2011 10:22 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been on paxil for about 17 years, i started on 20 and slowly went up to 40mg. which I'm on now. I've been on Risperdal for about 13 years, started on .75, but I've had to go up to 1.5 after a few stressful events that happened in my life, neither worked very well for my social anxiety...I also have ocd with tics...those two meds kind of just took the edge off. I did try Memantine recently that did wonders for my social anxiety for a little while...then that effect kind of wore off. I got off of Memantine though do to it making my already dull sex life from being on paxil even more dull.....couldn't take the double whammy

BrianM 07-23-2011 03:08 PM

Paxil

Worst of the SSRI's for treating my Social Anxiety. At least FDA approval for social anxiety brought the disorder to the fore front!

ShyUK 07-23-2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John111 (Post 1059162581)
Hi,

im new to this forum.yesterday i started taking paxil for SAD and blushing.i have constant red cheeks and blush when around people.has anyone else here who suffers from blushing had any success with paxil and did it reduce redness of cheeks and control blushing?

thanks

John

Not in a physical way. It's a drug of the brain. Assuming it works for you it will make you not care about blushing around people, thus reducing it, well that's the idea anyway.

stephh 07-25-2011 01:59 AM

Paxil was the first SSRI I was prescribed after being diagnosed with social anxiety and depression. I took 20mg and went up to 30mg and saw a vast improvement in my anxiety and depression, and was able to control my underarm sweating and my social life improved. However, after about two years, I was in a serious relationship with my boyfriend who encouraged me (and I started to want to myself) to get off of meds entirely. I started tapering off and finally got off by getting onto Zoloft and then ending with both of them - but it was not easy. This medication has a very short half-life, and is terrible to miss a dose or run out. Several times over the course of taking it, I ran out and ended up with terrible sweating, migraines, and anxiety, and this panic like I was going to die.

I can't say I don't recommend trying it, because it did what I needed it to do. But be aware that getting off of it can prove very difficult as it doesn't stay in your body as long as many other SSRIs. As far as side effects, I may or may not have had increased headaches - and if they were from it, then they were very often and interfered with my life. Also, I had a decreased sex drive, but I wasn't having sex at the time so it wasn't a big deal to me.

katman 07-29-2011 09:50 PM

HI,
I am new to this forum and was wondering how to start a new thread?

I have tried a huge spectrum of medications.
Zoloft, Lexapro, Prozac, tryciclics, various others.

I currently take xanax (1.5 mg) and gabapentin (1800 mg) for work days.
However, I come home absolutely exhausted.
I have been prescribed Pristiq in the past and have been debating going back on an Effexor -like drug such as Pristiq. For the energy and possible mood improvement.

Thanks for shifting me to the right forum and any responses.

La Shonda 09-17-2011 09:44 PM

I have been taking Paxil (40 mg) since January, 2006 in combination with Zoloft and some herbal supplements and vitamins. At first everything was fine, and my friends noticed some real positive changes in my behavior pattern, looks and overall everyday lifestyle.
I lost 32 lbs and felt very happy. Then I met some jerk and he totally ruined it for me.
Now I am sporadically taking Paxil again, have experienced some withdrawal issues, like nausea, dizziness, fatigue, etc.
However, I do enjoy the euphoric, almost pre-orgasmic feeling inside a couple hours after I take Zoloft and Paxil, that's what it should be all about, getting your suicidal tendencies and PTSD flashbacks relieved, but I think you get used to Paxil, and it's not as effective anymore after a while.

Xande 09-18-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Shonda (Post 1059305049)
I have been taking Paxil (40 mg) since January, 2006 in combination with Zoloft and some herbal supplements and vitamins. At first everything was fine, and my friends noticed some real positive changes in my behavior pattern, looks and overall everyday lifestyle.

Hey, just wondering but what dose are you on for Zoloft?

You're one of the very few people I've noted that take two ssri's.
Do you ever get paranoid of the possibility of serotonin syndrome? Was your pdoc hesistant at all to prescribe two ssri's?

Not saying you'd get it, just wondering cause I'm curious about how taking two ssi's work & how helpful people find it.

Thanks!

Nogy 09-22-2011 02:45 AM

I've been on paroxetine for about 2 years. It helps alot with depression, which is great. Before taking this my depression was so bad that it was difficult just making it through the day, even if i had nothing i had to do that day. I don't have major depressive episodes anymore since taking paroxetine. It doesn't provide much, if any, anxiety relief for me though. My beta-blocker that i take for high blood pressure has helped my anxiety more than this med.

The withdrawal from paxil can be a little rough though. After a year i had to quit taking it due to insurance reasons. I went off cold turkey, which is definately not the right way to do it. The "brain zaps" were the worse of the withdrawal, which seemed to occur whenever i turned my head fast or whenever i stood up. Only lasted about a week though, its not too terribly bad. After about 6 months off of paxil my depression was back, so i decided to get insurance and go back on it. Been on it ever since, and it still helps

GSH 09-22-2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nogy (Post 1059314993)
I've been on paroxetine for about 2 years. It helps alot with depression, which is great. Before taking this my depression was so bad that it was difficult just making it through the day, even if i had nothing i had to do that day. I don't have major depressive episodes anymore since taking paroxetine. It doesn't provide much, if any, anxiety relief for me though. My beta-blocker that i take for high blood pressure has helped my anxiety more than this med.

The withdrawal from paxil can be a little rough though. After a year i had to quit taking it due to insurance reasons. I went off cold turkey, which is definately not the right way to do it. The "brain zaps" were the worse of the withdrawal, which seemed to occur whenever i turned my head fast or whenever i stood up. Only lasted about a week though, its not too terribly bad. After about 6 months off of paxil my depression was back, so i decided to get insurance and go back on it. Been on it ever since, and it still helps

Brand name or generic? Instant release or CR?

Nogy 09-22-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSH (Post 1059315222)
Brand name or generic? Instant release or CR?

Generic...i get a months supply for 4$ at walmart lol. And its instant release. I don't understand the CR version of paxil, it was a "once a day" pill already. I guess it was just a gimmick for the makers of paxil to still profit, as it didn't come out until the regular version of paxil went generic

GSH 09-22-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nogy (Post 1059316478)
Generic...i get a months supply for 4$ at walmart lol. And its instant release. I don't understand the CR version of paxil, it was a "once a day" pill already. I guess it was just a gimmick for the makers of paxil to still profit, as it didn't come out until the regular version of paxil went generic

Ive had them both and yeah there is a difference. The controlled is just that, a controlled release over time/dissolves slowly. The IR is just dumped at once and stays in your system over the day
Thanks for the info though

Arisa1536 09-27-2011 12:22 PM

This is a great drug for SA but the side effects are greater too, higher than the other SSRIs, paxil are on a par with effexor side effect wise BUT they did not turn me into a cold unfeeling lethargic layabout like effexor have.
Do not ever miss a dose though, even if you are three hours late in taking your paxil, you will know about it. I thought I was going to kill something when i missed my dose accidentally by one hour and the stomach ache was horrendous, its the same with effexor but not with fluoxetine or celexa for some reason

be careful on paxil, they work well but not everyone can handle the side effects
i was lucky and had no loss of libido or constant persistent nausea and headache, they all went away but i know some people cannot tolerate the side effects because everyone is different.

blinds8 10-14-2011 10:42 PM

Paxil (Paroxetine) Has worked great for me in the last year. I have noticed it working when I was tapering off of Lithium and finally off of it, However for severe depression I was forced back onto the lithium and am still taking the Paxil. I have heard horror stories about all drugs not just paxil so don't be alarmed! Research Research Research

burn the witch 10-14-2011 11:24 PM

thinking about switching from paxil to zoloft, which my psychiatrist suggested.

blinds, love your kenny/spenny avatar :)

Malang88 10-22-2011 11:52 PM

I just started Paxil 3 days ago, i feel a bit strange from time to time, and i have to make an effort to care about people around me, i knew this would happen as ive tried celexa and effexor before but they didnt do anything for my anxiety, it seems paxil does something for it though and i gonna continue to take it for a while

i got a great tip for anyone suffering from the horrible stomach jittery feeling that paxil causes

PSYLLIUM husk, its been 3 days since ive had a runny stomach, tension cramps in the bowels, but last night i took 2 tablespoons of this psyllium husk and some this morning, i went for a walk came back and finally found some relief and i feel good in the stomach now

lazy 10-24-2011 09:19 AM

Does anyone here find that the drug eliminates the delusional-like thoughts associated with SA? Specifically those crappy mind-reading conclusions you come up with...

Does the drug inhibit your traumatic past memories from feeling like they are white-blood cells attacking your sense of self in the present? Did it give you enough kick to escape your twilight zone?

OilCity99 11-10-2011 03:12 PM

Day 2 of taking paxil (20mg). I have began clenching my jaw (since yesterday) I am getting a headache and sore jaw and inner ears. Is this common, will this subside?

Xande 11-10-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilCity99 (Post 1059424473)
Day 2 of taking paxil (20mg). I have began clenching my jaw (since yesterday) I am getting a headache and sore jaw and inner ears. Is this common, will this subside?

Could just be a start-up side effect. Call your doc if you feel it getting bad.

Good luck!

pax80a 11-12-2011 09:57 AM

paxil was a nightmare for me. the side effects were awful and the withdrawal was an encounter with the devil.
Dangerous drug.