Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f139/)
-   -   Paxil (paroxetine) [SSRI] (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f139/paxil-paroxetine-ssri-84111/)

CleverKrolik 03-25-2011 01:53 PM

Oh Paxil!

I have been taking Paxil for about 10 years.
I take only 10mg. at night before going to bed.
I personally do not have side effects. I started off on 30mg. (Along with other medications I have stopped) and have been down dosed over the years. I have been on 10mg. for 4 years now and have NO issues with the medication. I thought I wanted to stop taking them but that is a big No-No. The doctor quickly reminded me of how life was before Paxil. I do not want to go there again.

CleverKrolik 03-25-2011 01:56 PM

The Paxil with-drawl is an absolute nightmare!

GSH 03-26-2011 09:03 AM

I wonder why Paxil has no website? All I get from google is paxil withdrawl websites, the problems with paxil and prescribing info for doctors. NO sales site at all. Hmmmm that can't be good. I know its an old drug that has been around but even PROZAC and ZOLOFT still have sites for consumers.

Arisa1536 03-26-2011 10:17 PM

Worked well at first, was the first med i was prescribed nine years ago and it was the "new med on the block" in our country :lol but and there is a but with this drug, the side effects are not worth it.
I was hungry all the time but at the beginning i had no appetite at all until six months after i started using them, so i thought all the side effects would have worn off including the lost appetite due to be so dizzy, tired, nauseous and shaky. Well the appetite came back but the dizziness, the crying spells, the tiredness and lethargy mixed with jitters and high anxiety stayed. The headaches never go on these pills and when it comes time to withdraw brace yourself thats all i can think of when withdrawal comes to mind :afr

Then again if u switch to a stronger AD then tapering off paxil an SSRI in place of an SNRI like cymbalta or effexor the withdrawals are not half as bad

The one positive thing about paxill was the wonderful anti SA effect it had on me
i was sociable for the first time in my life and able to be a bit crazy, depressed, loud and irritable without worrying what other people thought and i guess i had days of feeling good and NO sexual dysfunction or loss of libido, infact in the first stages it increased my libido.

Positives:
Great 4 Social Anxiety
Increased my libido
Helped with self confidence
Made me creative
Drinking on SSRIs has been okay for me to do
You can take benzos on them safely and with most ADs you can but these seemed to increase the potency

Negatives
Weight loss then extreme gain
Crying more often as the dose increased
tirednes,s headache, sweating, constipation, gave me shocking acid reflux after taking them in the mornings too and high anxiety. Not good for severe depression

bsmith77 05-07-2011 10:42 PM

I took Zoloft first and hated it. Then I started Paxil at 10mg per day and moved up to 20mg per day. I am a male, 58yo. and for me generic Paxil 20mg daily has worked remarkably well. I have been taking it for over 7 years and will probably take it for the rest of my life. Used to have social anxiety and moderate depression; I would say both are well under control if not completely gone. I also take .25 Xanax for sleep when needed.

PsyKat 05-16-2011 07:25 PM

This was the first medication I was prescribed for my social anxiety. I started out on 10mg and the first week was absolutely horrible. I was tired constantly and I ended up sleeping about 18 hours a day (not all at once). Whenever I was awake it felt like my insides were trembling and I couldn't concentrate on anything. I had no appetite and what little "general" anxiety I had worsened tenfold.

After that initial week things calmed down but I didn't feel like the meds were doing anything for me. I was still tired but it was slowly getting better. Doc upped me to 20mg and I didn't notice any changes. She switched me to a different med this morning.

CD700 05-16-2011 10:02 PM

I stopped Paxil the other week and had no probs going off it

I didn't notice until i stopped it that it was helping a tiny bit and paxil is the only SSRI i can say that about and I have tried nearly all of them

shana 05-22-2011 06:55 AM

I've been on Paxil- generic- 20 mg for about 1.5 weeks. It is helping my Social Anxiety disorder. I was on Lexapro 15 mg for about 4 years before this, and the Lexapro didn't help my SAD at all. It helped with depression and some anxiety, but not SAD. Paxil , I think, is the only med FDA approved for SAD, and it has helped my SAD much more than Lexapro, so I would advise anyone with SAD to try Paxil before any other med.

bk84nation 06-27-2011 10:07 AM

Paxil review

Hey, everyone. This is my first post, but I've been reading posts from this forum for 4 years now. I had major depression as a 12 year old but puberty seemed to push me out of it and seem to do alright till about 23 when major SA + depression really got a grip on me. I have been slowly turning my life around with many successes and setbacks. I'm currently in medical school and have actually prescribed many of these meds on my psychiatry rotation.

Let me first say that as I reminder, people respond wildly different to different medications, so if something doesn't work for you, then focus on what does. Not that the drug is evil or won't work for anyone.

Anyway, since this thread is about paxil, here it goes: I have been on numerous SSRIs (celexa, lexapro, zoloft), wellbutrin, low dose lithium, lamictal. Tried many different supplements, herbs, exercise programs, hypnotherapy, meditation, CBT, etc...

Took celexa for about 2 years which was moderately effective for depression, and only minimally efffective for SA. Took 3 years off from SSRIs, using a combo of PRN xanax .25 with 40mg of propranolol for speeches, interviews, first dates--which works very well for me.

I've had a pretty hard time getting a good social support group while in school, and a recent break up really through me back into depression-- and so I finally made the dive to try Paxil (much feared for weight gain and sexual side effects).

Started very slow at 2.5 mg and over 2 months now at 10mg. Also have been taking BuSpar 15mg TID for months before starting the paxil, which I think has helped augment its effect and diminish the sexual side effects. The results have been better than anything else I have taken, though not perfect.

The major side effect was some muscle tension and yawning at first. This has dissipated after 3 weeks. A mild tiredness is probably the biggest side effect I'm having, so I'm drinking a bit more coffee than usual ( a bit counter productive for SA), so I have to watch that. No weight gain, actually 10lb loss over 2 months and now at a steady weight. Sexual side effects are a bit delayed ejaculation, but I'm not complaining about that. I did have a few nights initially where I could not get off, but I found increasing my BuSpar and giving it some time brought an end to this.

So overall, paxil has been the most effective thing I've ever tried for SA, and I haven't had any terrible side effects. Of course coming off it will probably be a bear, but Im not worried about that now and have dealt with that in the past with other SSRIs. Moral of the story-- I wish I had tried it earlier but was too scared from all the horror stories and so refused it everytime it was brought up by a pdoc. BUT, it does work for some people, and works very well. SO, lets not lose sight of that fellow suffers of anxiety +/- depression.

ALso the 5 consistent things that generally help all patients with anxiety:
*just my observations

1. exercise
2. stop the coffee/ caffeine
3. get good regular sleep
4. lay off the booze
5. talk to someone about your problems

SimpleMinded 06-27-2011 11:02 AM

How on earth do you cope at medical school with social anxiety? I had to drop out in my fifth year. Never going back. The memories are too painful...

pikachu 06-27-2011 11:11 AM

i had a bad experience with paroxetine.
side effects in the first few weeks were :
sick feeling in stomach
loss of appetite
shaking like crazy to the point i almost fall over
huge pupils

After a few months what happened was i felt a lot less self-conscious. i really liked that feeling. I could walk in front of hundreds of people and not worry at all about what people were thinking about me. I could talk to people normally and feel relaxed and okay.
But, I felt really zoned out all the time. Like a zombie. I had no 'ups and downs' in my emotions, no pleasure or happiness or excitement, no sadness either, just flatlined all the time.
And the Sexual dysfunction (still present months after stopping paxil) affected my relationship so, that wasn't good. and I'm scared to try another SSRI because I fear becoming a zombie again.

amy612 07-11-2011 12:05 AM

Paxil worked for me at age 19 for my agoraphobia (along with some intense therapy) and it got me out of the house for the first time in two years. I've been off and on it since age 17 and I'm now 34. Not working anymore. I've been on quite literally everything besides NOT being on ANYthing...which may very well be my next stop. Grrr.

MarshmallowGuru 07-11-2011 11:06 PM

Nevermind :)

ShyUK 07-19-2011 07:31 PM

I first went one paroxetine when i was 19 it worked well and gave me a 'don't give a damn' attitude to shyness. I was it for 2 years then came off it. I was on 20mg.

I started taking it again when I was 25 again 20mg (I'm 31 now) but this time it didn't have the same affect. I think maybe because I need a higher dose now but the side effects are so bad that is not possible.

It makes me sweat really bad especially in the face. I'm not a sweaty person usually. For someone with social phobia the last thing you want is for your face to start leaking in public, at work etc it's massively embarrassing. I also get bad dry mouth and poor/erratic sex libido.

I'm now coming off it I have been putting it off due to the horrendous withdraws last time. I tried to go cold turkey this time but it was horrible, electric shocks when moving eyes, feeling lifeless and groggy. Yuck.

I've now drawn a chart to take slowly decrease the dose over 3 months. You must come off this VERY slowly to prevent withdrawals.

Just out of interest, if you went cold turkey (not advisable) how long would those horrendous symptoms last for?

millenniumman75 07-19-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CleverKrolik (Post 1058896826)
I have been taking Paxil for about 10 years.
I take only 10mg. at night before going to bed.
I personally do not have side effects. I started off on 30mg. (Along with other medications I have stopped) and have been down dosed over the years. I have been on 10mg. for 4 years now and have NO issues with the medication. I thought I wanted to stop taking them but that is a big No-No. The doctor quickly reminded me of how life was before Paxil. I do not want to go there again.

Wow, your doctor did that?! Sheesh!

The goal is to learn the skills needed so that you won't need to BE on the medication. That is my goal. I have been on 20mg for years, and am questioning dropping down to 15mg. At the max, I was at 50mg.

RaleighTheodoreSakers 07-20-2011 12:10 PM

I'm going to start this soon...

How does it work with alcohol? U get drunk easier? bad hangovers? how do u feel when u get alcohol together with paroxetine?

FTD204 07-20-2011 12:52 PM

I've been taking it for almost a month now and I finally am feeling pretty good. I am always tired as hell, but randomly get a burst of energy. Someone said something about shaking and I didn't know that was a side effects, but one day I was holding a plate and a cup, my left hand would not stop shaking but my right hand/arm was perfectly fine. I think the meds have really helped my depression and obsessiveness, I no longer worry about little things. My social anxiety still is pretty heavy but I have been putting myself out there more. Paxil and therapy are quite helpful.

FTD204 07-20-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaleighTheodoreSakers (Post 1059162430)

How does it work with alcohol? U get drunk easier? bad hangovers? how do u feel when u get alcohol together with paroxetine?

I was told not to combine the two, but I think it will just cause you to feel more nauseous. It might be best to just not drink alcohol.

John111 07-20-2011 01:17 PM

Hi,

im new to this forum.yesterday i started taking paxil for SAD and blushing.i have constant red cheeks and blush when around people.has anyone else here who suffers from blushing had any success with paxil and did it reduce redness of cheeks and control blushing?

thanks

John

senrab 07-21-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaleighTheodoreSakers (Post 1059162430)

It makes me feel extremely drowsy. I can only handle two beers maximum. Be very careful, make sure you eat a lot before or while you're drinking. Water helps too.