Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f139/)
-   -   Paxil (paroxetine) [SSRI] (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f139/paxil-paroxetine-ssri-84111/)

teopap 03-04-2014 01:56 PM

Can Paxil cause constipation or slow transit constipation ?

Lauren10409 03-15-2014 12:16 PM

Paxil has been a miracle drug for me, except for the sexual side effects. I am unable to orgasm :( So what I do is taper down once a month just so I can have an orgasm. It's frustrating because my SA is about 90% and I notice that I am even happier! I think my SA was giving me a bit of depression too and I didn't even realize it because it had been my baseline for so long. I have never felt so good in my life on my 10mg of pail! But the sexual side effects are horrible. I am currently trying to figure out weather or not I want to try a different med or try decreasing my paxil dose. Sigh, it's a double edge sword.

The Professor 03-15-2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauren10409 (Post 1071138113)
Paxil has been a miracle drug for me, except for the sexual side effects. I am unable to orgasm :( So what I do is taper down once a month just so I can have an orgasm. It's frustrating because my SA is about 90% and I notice that I am even happier! I think my SA was giving me a bit of depression too and I didn't even realize it because it had been my baseline for so long. I have never felt so good in my life on my 10mg of pail! But the sexual side effects are horrible. I am currently trying to figure out weather or not I want to try a different med or try decreasing my paxil dose. Sigh, it's a double edge sword.

Now that is some serious commitment to orgasm. Well done.

The Professor 03-15-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by necrobytez (Post 1065027986)
Paxil actually ruined my life so to say, it also triggered my avoidant personality disorder. I took it for 3-4 years and my memory from that many years are completely black. Feels like a huge chunk of my life disappeared. I felt like a zombie, i always slept, got fat, dirty etc

Same with me! The whole year of my life that I was on paxil is completely blacked out from my memory. Not just bits and pieces, literally 99% of that year.

anxietysux9 03-28-2014 10:13 AM

Id say this is one of the strongest for social anxiety , anxiety in general if you decide to take a antidepressant id choose this...also caused me to go manic though and almost got a restraining order on me

Nonexistence Forever 04-04-2014 01:30 AM

Took my first 20 mg of Paxil. Is it true there's no additional benefit for any dose above 20 mg?

millenniumman75 04-04-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonexistence Forever (Post 1071569361)
Took my first 20 mg of Paxil. Is it true there's no additional benefit for any dose above 20 mg?

No, it definitely is more potent with higher doses. I was on 30mg the lsat couple of days due to an SA spike, and I did feel a difference between the 30 and my normal 20. I was at 50mg a day at one point several years ago.

Nonexistence Forever 04-06-2014 07:56 PM

I can't ejaculate anymore on it.

Naveed539 04-07-2014 03:50 AM

Hi,

I recently suffered from Panic Attacks 2 months ago for the first time...Before that i had Migraine and IBS related Constipation...My Age is 31 years and i am male...But i never took medication ever earlier as i preferred therapy/willpower over medication...

It has been two months since i am on Paxil...I was on Paxil CR 20 mg for the initial 1.75 months...Recently my doctor lowered my doze from 25 mg to 12.5mg CR...I am feeling so bad...Still nauseous, headache and increased anxiety inspite of 2 months use...?

My Doctor has suggested me to shift from Paxil CR to Zoloft 50 mg...Do you think this shift will help,

Please share your opinion

Conrad 5 04-22-2014 01:44 PM

Everything I have read says there are sexual side effects. Is it even worth it if you can't have sex?

Mbr 05-14-2014 05:40 AM

I have a question:

Can i take paxil with zyprexa together?

Nilrem 06-17-2014 06:43 PM

I'm on Paxil @ 40mg per day. The first couple months are almost impossible to bust a nut. That went away after about a year. Been on it for over a decade and I couldn't function without it. It helps me put up with the stench of humanity without punching people in the face. :)

scoop123 06-24-2014 09:08 AM

Thought I should chime in here. Paxil was my very first medication prescribed for me. I remember seeing the TV commercial where it did a caricature of all these people intensely focused on the camera (you), then the voice said "do you feel like people are looking at you all the time; anxious in social situations, etc? Then Paxil is for you..." I thought, "praise God, there is a medication for my SA!" So I filled out thir questionnaire and brought to the doc and had a script in hand by evening. It seemed to work for me initially, although some of it may have been placebo effect. Eventually the sexual side effects were too much for me and I quit. I also experienced the "brain zaps" while coming off, but those went away after getting completely off.

Imbored21 07-18-2014 03:05 PM

Been on it for 2 months. It is the first medication out of many that actually does something. It helps with anxiety decently. It also turned me into a zombie with no desire to eat, sleep, or have sex. All emotions are numbed, not just anxiety.

Not worth it. I will try it for a little longer though.

alwayz 07-20-2014 07:56 PM

My experience is that It worked great for a year or so, but then it stopped working as good and then i needed a higher and higher dosage for it to work. I eventually switched off and went to Effexor XR....

Anyone else out there have the same experience with Paxil working then stopping working. Maybe my body had gotten used to it...

solasum 07-21-2014 07:22 PM

I've never tried meds for anxiety before this. I've been on it for over two weeks. 12.5 mg, by the bye. The first week, I woke up every morning with worse anxiety and this need to clench my jaw, and nausea. That went away, but now I'm tossing and turning every night, and I cannot orgasm. So. I do think it's had a little bit of an impact on my anxiety, but still I cannot tolerate the side effects. I wonder if Zoloft is better?

Cuban FL Cracker 07-23-2014 07:33 PM

Paxil has done wonders for me. My depression has vanished, my anxiety is about 98% gone, my OCD has completely gone away, I'm much more sociable and confident. It's brought me back to my old self before I started having anxiety problems and depression.

I've been on it for about two years now and take 20 mg daily.

alwayz 07-26-2014 04:44 PM

It worked for me, as I felt like superman with it. My social anxiety was gone. However the good times soon ended as 50mg stopped working and I need to go as high as 75mg to feel better. I eventually had to take it with Klonopin and Lyrica but I stop taking it because I thought why do I need helper drugs when it was working on its own before. I am now looking to for other meds and trying Dr richards social anxiety program. Maybe now this time around I can only say to take the minimum dose and not a high dose if you dont have to.

yankeetex 09-17-2014 10:01 AM

Paxil has helped me out a bunch. I've been taking the 37.5mg of the CR variety for about 9 months. My anxiety is way down, and I feel happier in general. I haven't noticed any blunting of my emotions either.

Side Effects:

Constipation - I'm not fully stopped up, but I'm less regular than I used to be.

Sexual - No problem getting and maintaining an erection, but I do have delayed ejaculation. It has gotten less noticeable with time, though. Also, I was a bit too quick before, so it isn't a completely bad effect!

Weight Gain - I've put on 5-10 lbs in the last 9 months. I was a bit underweight before, so again not a horrible thing. It's definitely something to watch, though.

Gentlecrab 10-10-2014 07:05 PM

I've been taking paxil for about a year. I'm on 30mg right now and it has definitely helped with lowering anxiety but I feel as if my body is becoming more tolerant and will have to up the dosage soon.

Side effects for me:

-Stomach cramps: These were bad but I eventually figured out it was cause I was dry-swallowing the pills and they were like dissolving while slowly going down my esophagus. The fix was just taking the pills with water so they go down quickly.

-Sexual: Gives me delayed orgasm but as a guy this is not a negative lol

-Weight: Gained about 15lbs but again as a skinny guy before this is not a negative for me anyway.

-The feels: It kinda numbs everything and turns you into a zombie...a lot of days I feel just, meh. You gotta counteract all that with coffee, eating/sleeping well, exercise and all that bull****.