Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f139/)
-   -   Paxil (paroxetine) [SSRI] (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f139/paxil-paroxetine-ssri-84111/)

basuraeuropea 08-15-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by begstealborrow (Post 1065943946)
I'm a 28 year old male who has been suffering from SA since my school days. I have only this last couple of weeks discovered this was a medical condition!

Anyway I have been prescribed Paxil (Paroxetine) and doing some research on the drug has scared me witless!

I have been on it for a week and am experiencing some of the same side effects others have spoke about.

However I wan't to know...

Has anybody experienced or know of anyone who has suffered infertility from taking this drug?

I have read a few articles on it but seems it may only effect younger males or be more probabilistic if taking a higher dose (I've started on 20mg).

Infertillity, or a high chance of becoming infertile (i'd consider 10-15% high) then I'd come off them straight away as having children is extremely important to me... even if I finding it near impossible finding a girlfriend!

P.S. Sorry if a thread to this subject has already been posted here or somewhere else but a) this is my first ever forum post and b) I have little time to scroll through thousands of post. So if someone could be kind enough to answer this or send me a link I'd be most grateful.

you'll get more responses, i'd surmise, if you post this within the medication sub-forum.

millenniumman75 08-15-2013 03:14 PM

I have Paxil fat. I can't burn it off even with 24 miles a week running.

StylinAmy 08-15-2013 04:49 PM

i've actually lost 15 lbs in 2 months, havent done anything differently other than stopped emotionally eating, and I am average weight to begin with.

Cindyjosiane 08-18-2013 02:55 AM

Ok 5th day on Paxil (called arapax here in Australia)... Ok day 1 and 2 was hard I was a space cadet, walking around spaced out. Now the only side effect I have is dry mouth and kind of feeling no emotions, hoping they will go away soon, on 20mg..I can't imagine taking any more than this.

andydav267 08-18-2013 04:45 AM

its not the ssri that cause people to gain weight , its the lifestyle they develop whilst on it .. they delude themselves that's its purely down to the meds .. if you eat less and exercise more whilst on these meds you should be ok

Anthony45 08-21-2013 08:04 AM

Give the Paxil a chance guys, if it works for you as it has for me than you will be pleasantly surprised but who's to know who it will or won't work for. By the way I'm also in Oz and I got the GSK brand , Paroxetine. Iv'e had many months on it now and it has been a blessing for me. The one bummer of a side effect I have on it is a craving for alcohol but it's up to me to show some self discipline :)

kats 09-22-2013 03:46 PM

I've been on paroxetine for about 8 months for depression and SA, it has done wonders for me. At the beggining I felt sleepy all the time, but after two weeks it passed, other than that I experienced no side effects at all, btw I take 20mg per day. The paroxetine for me it took away some of the anxiety feelings when in social situations which made it easier to pursue with pshycotherapy. And the depression is long gone :D

RantingOddshyone 10-03-2013 12:34 AM

I am on paxil now and it significantly helped me. I have been on and off medications for about 16 years now (since the age of 10) and before I was on paxil, I was off my previous medication (Pristiq, which didn't work for me, I ended up getting suicidal and having more crying spells two years into it ) for about a year or two. I was depressed, I had obsessive, worrisome thoughts, I was SO physically anxious and now, I am a lot better. I do believe that I may need to be on a higher dose now though, I am on 20mg. I would recommend Paxil.

Missbipolaranxiety85 10-11-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark555666 (Post 1367421)
20mg paxil makes depression/anxiety less. I don't go higher. because i get more serious side effects.

I am on 40mg and can't go higher or lower for the same reasons.

walking dead 10-17-2013 01:23 PM

Hi. I am going to my doc on monday and i will ask for Paxil...side effects are really scary but i want to try. I am kind a resistant to side effects of any medication so maybe in this case it will be similar...i hope at least. Now i am on venlafaxine which i find totally ineffective for SAD and i go to therapy as well but it takes time...i need something now to help me find a job and get back on my feet.

littleblackdress 10-25-2013 04:35 PM

hi!
I've been taking Paxil for about 3 weeks and it made me really depressed. I stopped cold turkey and the withdrawal was so severe that my doctor advised me to go to psychiatric ward. Maybe, for some people it works, but before you try Paxil - remember that the witddrawal can be a nightmare.

LuckyThirteen 10-27-2013 07:49 PM

5 years on Paxil now and I can honestly say it has bettered my life for the most part. I was prescribed this drug for OCD, general anxiety, social anxiety, paranoia, etc. I was almost to the point of being nonfunctional and this drug actually saved me. I have been at the max dose for about 2yrs now.

For me there are some downsides to the drug such as: memory is not as good as it was, lack of sexual desire (which is a part of why my wife left tho it's a good thing to not want sex now as I am single lol) and I do occasionally have to have a "crash day" where I sleep quite a bit. I have gained quite a bit of weight and I honestly just don't give a damn about my appearance anymore but the good actually outweighs the bad for me.

BUT.....

Let me tell you that being without this drug absolutely wrecks me. I tried to quit cold turkey to save my marriage but in the end the withdrawal symptoms became too great and I returned to Paxil. Come whatever may. My marriage fell but that could of happened anyway regardless of Paxil.

Currently I am in search of a new dr as my previous and I don't see eye to eye anymore (not due to Paxil). My script does run out sometimes and I have to beg my previous dr for another script while I search for her replacement. The "zaps" are almost unbearable. My phobias, anxieties, OCD all come back tenfold along with hallucinations and a few new things.

So here's my advice to anyone that is thinking about trying Paxil:
Be damn sure you want this drug to change your life because it will...good or bad. Also do not ever just quit cold turkey if you have been taking this drug for a while. Many horror stories. I've heard it said that it is easier to quit heroin than it is to quit Paxil and let me tell ya, I don't doubt that.

Caer 11-21-2013 01:10 AM

I just started Paroxetine this week and I'm on day three. My doctor told me to take 1/2 a 20mg pill for four days then go up to a full pill every night. It's for my social anxiety an panic attacks. So far the side effects haven't been terrible. I did experience some panic with it the first night, but that was simply because I am always anxious in starting new medications. The only other side effect I get is a bit of dizziness and I have terrible constipation (I know TMI). I've heard this stuff does wonders for people and I hope it's the same for me. My only serious fear is having to quit it for whatever reason. I tend to have bad withdrawals on any medication.

EDIT: So after taking for a few days I discovered a bad side effect for diabetics. It lowers blood sugars. Since taking it my sugars have dropped dangerously low to the point to where I had to turn off my insulin pump and practically have to eat all the time to keep my sugars stable. This is something that my doctor did not warn me about.

duncan9021 11-28-2013 08:00 AM

horrific and terryfing

Hello,

just want to share my ordeal and very scary 4 hours of my life when starting this medication. I obviously know this medication helps some people etc I am just purely sharing my experience of the drug.

I suffer from social anxiety and go through spells of depression occasionally too, anyway I went to see my doctor a few weeks ago as was going through a really bad spell, anyway he prescribed me Paroxetine 20mg and as I had read this was meant to be effective for social anxiety I was exicted about starting it.

Anyway I took my first pill around 5pm when I got home from work, and for the rest of the night I had a feeling of agitation and unable to stay still and although these were quite noticeable symptoms I didn't really pay attention to it as I have took other SSRI's before and experienced mild symptoms similar to these before. I slept fine that night too.

Woke up and took my next pill at 7am the next morning, by 8am my heart was beating noticeably fast and my pupils had completely dilated. was a bit worrying however I done my best to ignore it and get on with my day.

However by around 10am my ordeal started...I was sitting at work and suddenly my hands started trembling, my heart started beating so fast I thought it was way to jump out my chest, I stood up to get some air and I immediately found myself completely disorientated and confused like I was way to faint. I was also getting hot "flushes" all through my body...these extreme symptoms lasted for about 5minutes....then they went away however for the next 4 HOURS I had these feelings everytime I sat down so I had to keep walking about my house until eventually they went away altogether. However the rest of the day I kept getting palpitations and chest pains, I didn't get any sleep at all that night and generally still felt awful the next day.

that was my experience..in one word horrific. just makes me wonder what would have happened had my doctor prescribed me 30mg instead of 20....

LeftHandedTed 12-14-2013 08:12 PM

Social Anxiety Background
I have had Social Anxiety for my entire life. I can remember having it as young as 1st grade, and it has been a constant struggle for me to do the things I want in life because of my anxiety. I have quit several jobs because of my anxiety and I have been struggling to complete all my classes in my community college. I started seeing my newest psychiatrist when I was 22 (now 24), and he has been by far the most helpful professional I have met in my life. I had hit a point in my life where even leaving the house was incredibly difficult and I had difficulty seeing people who I've known for years.

Other Treatments
I never tried any other medications before taking generic Paxil. I have always had a fear of taking medication, and preferred to try to "handle" my anxiety on my own. My psychiatrist taught me mindfulness and how that can be helpful in dealing with my anxiety.

Treatment Experience

When I was 22, my psychiatrist prescribed generic Paxil for me. I was so hesitant about using medication that it took me a full 18 months before I got up the courage to fill the prescription and start taking it. I started off on 10mg, the first few days were a little difficult. I had some stomach issues for about 2-3 days and felt a little drowsy at times. After about a month I was upped to 15mg, which I stayed on for two months before jumping to 20mg, which is where I am now.

The drug has had a fantastic impact on my life. I am taking three courses this semester and I am only a few days away from completing all of them for the first time in my college career. I used to pace around at night and would constantly feel anxiety. In fact, I never realized how bad and constant my anxiety was until it finally went away. I'm now able to participate in conversations and I no longer feel awkward when out in public.

Now, I'm not saying my anxiety is completely gone, because it isn't and probably never will be. However, I have made a great deal of progress since starting my medication and am on my way to being the person that I've always wanted to be.

I was very hesitant at first when starting medication, and I had heard a lot of bad things about Paxil (as well as most other SSRIs). My recommendation to anyone reading this who is considering medication is to trust your doctor and give their advice a chance. They know better than any of us do, and there is no way to predict the outcome of medications. I know people have had terrible experiences with Paxil, and I'm very sorry to hear that, but I truly believe it is worth trying, and it has had a profound impact on my life.

DIVAMC 01-04-2014 10:40 PM

Okay...so I'm on 50mg of Paxil. I can't say that it is working cause I still hole up in my safe place and hide from ANY. UNNECESSARY. SOCIAL. INTERACTION. I have just come to this realization...

I was on other stuff that didn't work or gave me scary side effects.

I drink a lot more now than I ever have, so I don't know what's working and what's not...

I don't even know what I take the Paxil for. I think it is for depression because I have another med that I take for anxiety. The other med that I take is an anti-psychotic, but it was prescribed because of the intense, chronic anxiety that I was having that would cause (as a side effect) depression.

I guess I need to tell my doctor that it's not really working cause I'm not really leaving my home unless it's for work...

Xax 01-29-2014 08:21 PM

I was on paxil for a couple months and by the end of that I have literally nothing positive to say about it.
I went from having anxiety issues to having sever depression, suicidal thought and still having anxiety issues.

They then switched me to effexor which caused Auditory hallucinations and insomnia.
I'm going to go back to the doctor and ask for something that isn't a ssri/snri, because these clearly aren't the drugs for me.

StillBreathingx 02-05-2014 07:31 PM

I've been on Paxil for almost a year now! Before that, I was on and off medication for a few years. Before going on Paxil, I believe I wasn't taking anything. I was a wreck, but nowhere where I was before I started treatment, (which was back when I was 13) I currently take 20 mg.

Paxil has done wonders for me. My anxiety is so much better than it used to be! I still have my moments where it comes (a little more recently for me, considering I've had some school stress and blah blah blah) and some depressive moments. Nothing too much though.

Occasionally, I'll go through problems with CVS and getting my medication filled. Luckily, we've got automatic refill working now - but when I would go a few days without medication, I would get horrible stomach acid and headaches. The stomach acid would be bad to the point where I would have to take Zantac. I don't know if that has to do with not being on the medicine or just the stomach acid problems, being inherited, but I never had the problem so much before being on Paxil. Luckily, I haven't had that issue in a while.

I've gained some weight since being on it. Before, I rarely ever ate and had a hard time eating. Now I can never stop! :P

I've been able to do lots of things (mainly little things, but things none the less) like join a club at school, talk to people a bit better, etc.

I've also done some therapy while being on Paxil, and the combination of meditation and the medication has done wonders for me. My mind no longer races as much! It's amazing! :)

Now, I'm not saying Paxil has completely taken away my anxiety or even my depression. There is no super pill out there, that can do that, which sucks. I still have anxiety and I still have my moments. It's made my anxiety so much more bearable. I don't even feel half as depressed as I used to.

I believe with some more handwork, I can overcome some more fears!

I know medication can be scary. I cried before I took the first medication I was ever on. I know it can be discouraging. As I said before, I've been on and off meds. I would get discouraged and then just quit cold turkey. Please, don't ever do that! It's not worth it at all. It's hell.

I've watched my older brother and the side effects of anti depressants with him, since I was 10. I swear he's had almost every side effect you can get. Medication effects everyone differently. The best thing you can do is try and trust your doctor or psychiatrist. If the medication isn't making you feel comfortable, or giving you other nasty side effects, DON'T be afraid to mention it to them. They'll understand!

To whom ever is reading this, I wish you the best of luck!

CAmed 02-13-2014 03:37 PM

Scared to take paxil

I just got a prescription for Paxil from my doctor and I'm trying to decide if it's worth taking. I'm a second year medical student and have been going to therapy to try to get over my social anxiety. I've definitely improved with the therapy over the last year but of course medical school is a recipe for anxiety in even the calmest person so I feel like I'm trying to run up the down escalator. In the last few weeks, knowing that I have my big Step I exam coming up and then the start of clinical rotations, I've gotten so anxious overall- not just social anxiety but more like general all the time anxiety and have also started to feel kind of depressed. I've hit a roadblock with the therapist because I panic and then pretty much can't talk every time she asks me a question so I'm thinking I may need to try medication if I want to really work on the social anxiety. I finally got up the nerve to ask my GP for a prescription for Paxil but now I'm seriously doubting if its worth the side effects. I take propranolol now if I have a clinical skills exam because my hands shake horribly otherwise but I was hoping to stop that eventually rather than rely on it. I'd appreciate feedback if its worth it to take the Paxil or if its better long term to just work on developing skills in therapy. The problem is that I don't exactly have much free time to practice what I learn in therapy. I never thought I'd get to this point but I'd kind of rather just do what's easier. My fiancé was horrified when I said I was thinking of taking this- He said "you don't have that much of a problem! You can work on it. you don't need medication!" But I think he has the same fear as me that taking medication means I'm crazy. Also on a side note I'm probably going into either internal medicine or psychiatry so I can say I'll have a good understanding of what anxiety is like- thats one of the positives at least...

drayoutom 02-27-2014 11:32 AM