Lexapro (escitalopram) [SSRI] - Page 6 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #101 of 337 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 02:54 AM
SAS Member

I've been on Lexapro 10mg for well over a month now.

I can say everything has been positive, I haven't experienced any side effects other than for the first week I wasn't getting much sleep. But that has changed now, I'm getting plenty of sleep.

My anxiety feels like it is not there, though do experience it a bit at times but it's surely not as bad as I used to. In fact I have even started a relationship with a girl, something I couldn't do before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 337 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 AM
SAS Member

Red face

I have been taking 10mg Cipralex for about 8 days now for sa. It already helps alot with the social anxiety but it is also making me Very tired and unmotivated. I hope my energy picks up soon!
post #103 of 337 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:27 AM
SAS Member

Lexapro helped me tons with GAD and other stuff. It hasn't helped me a bit with SA though.

post #104 of 337 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 08:04 AM
SAS Member

My Experience with Lexapro and Social/Generalized Anxiety: Stick With It!

The first week or two of taking Lexapro, I felt anxious, tense, and depressed. It literally made me feel worse - IN THE SHORT TERM. This is a side effect of your body adjusting to this new drug. That's why doctors commonly prescribe benzos like Xanax for the first 2-3 weeks, so you can transition smoothly onto Lexapro. The key to SSRIs like Lexapro is that it takes 4-6 weeks for you to feel their real effects. When you feel depressed or anxious 4-6 seems like an eternity. Thoughts tend cross your mind like, "What if this doesn't work and I'm wasting my time?" but, in order to benefit from the drug, you MUST wait out the short-term negative side effects. Remind your self each day: I'm getting better each day, even though I might not feel like it right away. Your mental attitude is as important as the drug(s). Make it your goal to be strong for 1 month, until the drugs can take effect. Start with: I'm going to be strong and persistent for this hour. Apply the same attitude to the following hour. By doing this, you'll keep yourself busy with staying strong, and a day will pass. Apply this to the week. Weeks will accumulate and eventually, a month will have passed and should start feeling the effects of Lexapro. Between weeks 4 and 6 you should start to notice some improvement. In my case, I noticed a vast improvement by week 3. I've been on it for 6 weeks and I feel natural, calm, optimistic, without feeling intoxicated. Stick with it and keep reminding yourself, despite nagging doubts: through strength, persistence, and the medication, I'm getting better every day.

Last edited by crobins; 03-27-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: capitalization
post #105 of 337 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 12:01 AM
SAS Member

This has been the most influential medication I've ever taken. It felt like a miracle drug as it caused me to start conversations at will and act natural all the time(time taken 2-3 months).
HOWEVER:
I also noticed a change in my mental state; i became extremely forgetful and absentminded on this drug - so much so that I decided the benefits were not outweighing the mental handicap I was experiencing.
I'm still thinking about trying it again, I suppose.
post #106 of 337 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 08:56 AM
SAS Member

I got given this from my doctor on Monday, after I decided that this anxiety was disrupting my life and making me feel miserable.

The first three days I felt fairly good, even went into a bar on Wednesday and started being somewhat social without feeling the need to get wasted in order to do so. Was on a fairly good high then.

Thursday and Friday haven't been quite as good, though I still feel a bit more relaxed than I normally do on an overall scale. Can actually concentrate on uni assignments without anxious thoughts impeding me, also can walk around without being paranoid of unwanted or 'dangerous' social interaction.

I still get the physical reactions to a certain extent (blushing especially) but it seems like I don't care as much. Also that fight or flight response is neutered, I could do some things that I couldn't do in the past because of the anxiety that told me not to.

I haven't really had any major side effects, perhaps save for being a bit more absent minded than usual. Trying to get to sleep on the first night was kind of a weird experience, but nothing unusual since then.

Guess I will see what happens when the Lexapro starts having its so called 'full effect' after another month or so.

I'm just worried about the time if I have to get off these things. Those 'brain zaps' sound especially dreadful.

"She dreamt she was a bulldozer, she dreamt she was alone in an empty field"
post #107 of 337 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 02:47 AM
SAS Member

I'm taking it since February and feel much better now. I am not sure if it works against anxiety, but definitely works against depression. 10 mg of Pramatis per day helped me to improve my mood and reduce stress, but this effect appeared after about four weeks.

I will write something more when I will be more "experienced" in this drug.
post #108 of 337 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:32 PM
bipolar

Well I guess it just goes to show how differently these drugs affect each person, although other forums I have looked at seem to have a pretty consistent thread of weight gain on Lexapro. I certainly did with me - it did get me away from Xanax which is a positive - was on a high dose of that for about 9 years, Lexapro makes me extremely lazy, unmotivated and fat. Plus it virtually eliminates any sexual drive. Great drug! I hate the stuff, but then again I hate all of them, and that's a good one coming from me - I used to throw down enough pills to put a small town to sleep. I guess you need to try it yourself and see. But for me , I feel I've fried my brain enough with all this ****. Oh, and coming off Lexapro makes me manic - I can't remember how many times I have stopped them (because I was taking them!), but I always get manic - it was terrible - I spent a lot on money very quickly, but I dropped all of the weight after about 2 months. Now I'm trying to go without meds again, the anxiety is terrible sometimes, but if you ride it out it will go, (mine does anyway) - it's hell at first though.
post #109 of 337 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 05:10 AM
SAS Member

Lexapro has been a miracle for me. It's like a veil has been lifted off my life. I was stuck in my bedroom all the time never talked to anyone, now I'm talkative, friendly and making friends. All I can say is this saved my life.
post #110 of 337 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:59 AM
SAS Member

Six weeks on this stuff now, going up from 10 to 20mg in a couple of weeks. After that initial 'high' went away, I've come to the conclusion that this stuff has done nothing for my anxiety. It is still there, still rather obstructive.

I did feel better overall though, having been on 10mg for a month until late last week, where the bad feelings from before returned. Felt fairly bad yesterday, went to class where everyone noticed that I was feeling utter ****e. Decided to get back on the whiskey afterwards to help reduce the mood, like before. . Want to get to the doctors again where hopefully the 20mg can improve things again.

So while things started off fairly brightly and full of hope, hope has been fading somewhat lately, maybe this isn't the right med for me...

One good thing is that I still haven't had any notable side effects though, except maybe a minor loss in libido. Haven't even had the weight gain that everyone else seems to talk about, and I haven't been trying to eat That healthy lately.

"She dreamt she was a bulldozer, she dreamt she was alone in an empty field"
post #111 of 337 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 02:04 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by determination View Post
Lexapro has been a miracle for me. It's like a veil has been lifted off my life. I was stuck in my bedroom all the time never talked to anyone, now I'm talkative, friendly and making friends. All I can say is this saved my life.
I just wanted to say that I'm really glad this has helped you - I know what it feels like to not be able to leave your room. Hope it continues to help and all the best mate.
Don.
post #112 of 337 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 02:45 PM
SAS Member

I made the mistake of taking Lexapro with Phentermine- a diet pill- legal speed basically- talk about being very much in a good mood and very full of the gift of gabble- its like night an day for me the introvert who hides in her office with the door shut- the bad thing is - their is this thing called serotonin syndrome- which makes you overheat and could kill you- mixing those two- so I don't do that anymore- Lexapro has all the pro's and cons you guys listed- good with the depression and not so much the anxiety part and the lack of libido is not cool at all- I have some queasiness with it- but other than that - it is a necessary evil at certain phases in life I am afraid
post #113 of 337 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 06:43 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki girl View Post
I made the mistake of taking Lexapro with Phentermine- a diet pill- legal speed basically- talk about being very much in a good mood and very full of the gift of gabble- its like night an day for me the introvert who hides in her office with the door shut- the bad thing is - their is this thing called serotonin syndrome- which makes you overheat and could kill you- mixing those two- so I don't do that anymore- Lexapro has all the pro's and cons you guys listed- good with the depression and not so much the anxiety part and the lack of libido is not cool at all- I have some queasiness with it- but other than that - it is a necessary evil at certain phases in life I am afraid
I can definitely relate to what you say - I also find it a necessary evil - I've been on Lexapro for about 4 years now after spending a very long time addicted to Xanax. It was a relief to find something that I could just take once a day, as opposed to the benzos which I used to keep popping all day. On the other hand I hate the side-effects of Lexapro - it makes me gain weight, it makes me very lazy and lethargic and I tend to lose interest in the things I usually like. Plus, there's obviously the reduced libido. I started it again the other day as I'm currently living with my son and ex-wife after spending the last 3 or so months in Bali, after coming off it. I find that I can't tolerate living here without it - so, here we go again. Fortunately I've stopped it many times, so at least I know what to expect next time.
post #114 of 337 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 09:24 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Goofy
I take 20mg of Lexapro. I notice somethings about it. As someone here has stated it works well for depression. However its a hit and miss with anxiety. If I'm really stressed out and I have to go somewhere public or have to do something that my anxiety will be a problem with. IT WILL BE A PROBLEM.
Like it was my birthday last month. I wanted to go out and celebrate it. But stressing over the planning and family drama. Cause my anxiety to be really high. And Lexapro didn't do anything for me. At my birthday dinner..I would be okay then I would feel the hotness from my anxiety creeping up on me. My hands would be shaky and I didnt even eat my food. I just took it home. But it really did nothing for me. I'm thinking of asking my psychiatrist about giving me something to help more with the anxiety part.

Check out this hot young rapper Mike ***. Check out his single All the Way Up WWE Money in the Bank theme for 2016

All The Way Up
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13400570

http://soundclick.com/Mike***

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=533892
post #115 of 337 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 11:04 PM
Sleeps in your car...

All pills are bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”
Rumi
post #116 of 337 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 05:15 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyMelatonin View Post
All pills are bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I agree - I ****ing hate them.
post #117 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 02:49 PM
SAS Member

Jesus, Lexapro almost killed me. I got every negative side effect from it. Suicidal, depressed, and sexual dysfunction. I wouldnt recommend it to anyone.
post #118 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 04:49 PM
bipolar

Yeah, I've stopped taking it again - I seem to have developed a reaction to it, I get very bloated and sick , pretty much as soon as I start taking it. This last time when I stopped it I had bad withdrawals - terrible indigestion, vomiting, stomach cramps, dizziness etc.

I'm so tired of putting all this **** into my body, especially when it has such an obviously bad effect on it, let alone what it does to my head!
post #119 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 07:26 AM
SAS Member

i've started to take Lexapro few days ago.
Paxil was great to me for years. I had decided try to live without it 6 months ago, but depression and anxiety came back. I exercise, meditate, do self-therapy. In the end, even with all my efforts, to fall into anxiety again was inevitable.
Eat too much and constipation of Paxil made me try another medicine. So i chose Lexapro. I hope it works! At least as well as Paxil.
post #120 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 07:33 AM
SAS Member

I was on it for months.. since March I think and now I've halfed my dose to get off it. It did kinda pull me out of my worst depression but it really only destablized me. Some hypomania and mixed episodes.

Keep in mind, though that I'm schizoaffective bipolar and I was taking it without a mood stablizer/antipsychotic.

Still waiting for my mania
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page