Lexapro (escitalopram) [SSRI] - Page 15 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #281 of 337 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 02:02 PM
SAS Member

It is never a problem to let your doctor know which medicines you know of and are interested in. And Lex can come in low dosages and be relatively mild. It's not like your asking for 100Mg of Xanax or Prozac... It definitely makes sense to be involved in the choice regarding the medicine that you would be putting in your own body.

Lexapro was alright for me when I was taking it... no extremely negative side effects. Headaches occasionally...but I stopped taking it when I started having these things I like to call "Brain restarts" I would be in the middle of something and suddenly I had to stop and process to kind of remind myself what I was doing. It kind of reminded me of restarting a computer. You blank out for just a second and then have to reboot before you can continue. It was too much for me, but I know other people that weren't as bothered by it, and many that never experienced it at all! Just something to keep an eye out for.

it also wasn't fun to ween off of, but that is true for any SSRI.

best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 337 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 09:59 AM
SAS Member

Lexapro has mild side effects but it can cause your brain to feel foggy and blank. I would also get headaches. I would just stare blankly and have no idea what I was doing. I am trying to wean off it and I sometimes feel a bit anxious and light-headed.
post #283 of 337 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 06:27 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
Smile

I got prescription for 10 mg Escitalopram yesterday and took first dose last night an hour before bed. I couldn't sleep at all last night. Had similar experience with Prozac. Is seeing whether both nausea and insomnia will go away after about a week a good thing to do or should I go ahead and take the next dose soon this morning?

Another thought I had was to get through the adjustment period where I am starting to feel the full benefit (roughly 6 weeks) and then seeing whether taking it at night works. I have heard accounts that sexual side effect goes away if you take at night, and just the fact that I would not have to feel the medication effects as much by taking it at night.

post #284 of 337 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 07:18 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
Smile

I also felt it worth mentioning I had two glasses of wine before taking the first dose of escitalopram three hours later (this is the most I will drink). I generally have a drink at day's end about 5 or 6 PM. I was wondering if this could explain the lack of rest. Possibly there would be a link with alcohol consumption and insomnia while on an SSRI?

I'm still planning on taking Lexapro in the AM, just did in fact, so there would be minimal interaction between the medication and the drink I have in the evening.
post #285 of 337 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 01:01 AM
🐾

Is Lexapro the same as Prozac?
post #286 of 337 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 08:30 AM
杜鹏飞

I love this drug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingmind View Post
Is Lexapro the same as Prozac?
No, they are quite different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escitalopram (that's Lexapro)

Female and young rock hyrax huddling to conserve body heat
things aren't as they seem - nor are they otherwise
post #287 of 337 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 06:54 PM
🐾

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francus View Post
I love this drug.

No, they are quite different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escitalopram (that's Lexapro)
Excuse me? Maybe you don't know that I already have reviewed all SSRIs and I already read everything about them, sorry but I am already smart you don't have to send me that link.

What I meant is, does Lexapro work on the serotonin part as much OR EQUAL TO prozac? Duh.

Duh? I don't care, I am gonna stick to prozac 20 mg, it was the first med my great psychiatrist recommended for me, the great Dr. Esad Boskailo of Bosnia and professor and psychiatrist of psychiatry at ASU or University of Arizona. He also wrote a book called, "Wounded I am more Awake. About the war in Bosnia and the camps he was in during the war -- I think.

So I am gonna stay on prozac, and **** trying the rest really.
post #288 of 337 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 07:59 AM
SAS Member

I am the only one that tried tons of antidepressent for anxiety and social phobia and all it did was tons of side effects and create a depression that wasnt there before that you get why i dont want to cure with antidepressant since its because of them i got such ****ty mood these months. Everytime I touch to my serotonin system other than with psychedelics my body overreact and create a nearly psychopath psychotic state (i am not truely psychopath but share lots of the symptoms like lack of empathy and antisocial behaviour) where I can only listen to hard metal music and watch creepy videos (slipknot) to get this feeling off my mind. (last part might be unique to me) But am i the only one that got depression from anxiety medication?
post #289 of 337 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 08:05 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingmind View Post
Excuse me? Maybe you don't know that I already have reviewed all SSRIs and I already read everything about them, sorry but I am already smart you don't have to send me that link.

What I meant is, does Lexapro work on the serotonin part as much OR EQUAL TO prozac? Duh.

Duh? I don't care, I am gonna stick to prozac 20 mg, it was the first med my great psychiatrist recommended for me, the great Dr. Esad Boskailo of Bosnia and professor and psychiatrist of psychiatry at ASU or University of Arizona. He also wrote a book called, "Wounded I am more Awake. About the war in Bosnia and the camps he was in during the war -- I think.

So I am gonna stay on prozac, and **** trying the rest really.
Prozac is technically 3 to 5 times less potent at serotonin reuptake but 15 to 20 times more potent on norepinephrine reuptake than citalopram idk about escitalopram only but since they are isomeres we can figure that they work nearly the same especially cuz citalopram medication is actually a mix of both isomeres. Hope that answer your question.
post #290 of 337 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 08:10 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrunner View Post
I also felt it worth mentioning I had two glasses of wine before taking the first dose of escitalopram three hours later (this is the most I will drink). I generally have a drink at day's end about 5 or 6 PM. I was wondering if this could explain the lack of rest. Possibly there would be a link with alcohol consumption and insomnia while on an SSRI?

I'm still planning on taking Lexapro in the AM, just did in fact, so there would be minimal interaction between the medication and the drink I have in the evening.
Alcohol is a 5-ht3a receptor PAM (increase the impact of a single serotonin molecule to its receptor, can be reffered as serotonin benzo if you will) serotonin is usually inhibiting and can cause drowsiness but too much of it mixed with a PAM (exactly what you did) can lead to it becoming stimulating to the receptor and create anxiety instead of getting rid of it (the best example of : too much is like not enough) thus causing insomnia.
post #291 of 337 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 04:58 PM
🐾

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mracid View Post
Prozac is technically 3 to 5 times less potent at serotonin reuptake but 15 to 20 times more potent on norepinephrine reuptake than citalopram idk about escitalopram only but since they are isomeres we can figure that they work nearly the same especially cuz citalopram medication is actually a mix of both isomeres. Hope that answer your question.
There's no way prozac works more on norepinephrine, it works more on serotonin! I took zoloft which works more on norepinephrine and I felt the difference ok, I know for a fact that prozac works more on serotonin by 100%.
post #292 of 337 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 12:59 PM
SAS Member

Trying it

I just started Lexapro 5 mg 3 days ago. I felt tired, sedated and kind of forgetful. I had a slight panic attack the first day then the second day two big panic attacks back to back. I took with lunch around 1:00. Ahas anyone else had this reaction? I'm going to try 2.5 today with lunch..I'm eating a lil late and see how I feel.
post #293 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 08:09 PM
SAS Member

Social Anxiety Background
GAD since childhood and depression, with mild SA
Severe bullying by teacher at ages 10 and 11, fondled by another teacher at 11 (female), suicidal - did not act on it

Treatment Experience
Therapy on and off since age 16, GAD dx in 2004 (age 30)
No drugs until 20s, tried Paxil (horrible reaction) and then Effexor XR, now Cipralex

Cipralex is the best drug I've been on so far. It really calms the negative self-talk. I tend to pick an enemy and ruminate on things they've said to me until I become depressed. I believe I have acute stress (not PTSD) from the bullying, so I recreate that dynamic in my head and then react when triggered.

Exercise, acupuncture, and massage seem to be helping too. Just started proper therapy too. Time will tell
post #294 of 337 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 02:49 PM
SAS Member

I tried 5mg of Lexapro for 5 days and had severe, somewhat frightening side-effects. My only previous experience with SSRI medication was Zoloft, and I never experienced side effects on that medication outside of minor headaches or dry mouth. My experience with Lexapro has turned me away from continuing with medication to treat my anxiety. I am now looking into therapy instead. I understand not everyone will react the way I did, but please be careful.

My reactions included memory loss of hour time-lengths, including forgetting where I was driving and having to pull off the road to call someone for help. I woke up and had hallucinations that someone was in my room and I was screaming. At work I felt so drugged, I struggled typing and writing emails and had to go home. My neck and head cramped and I couldn't turn my head. I experienced shortness of breath and painful breathing, as well as excessive sweating and what felt like heat stroke. I had to go out to my car and sit in the air conditioning to calm down. After the last dosage, the effects were getting worse so I discontinued taking another day. The only side effects I had after missing the next dose was a headache and tiredness.
post #295 of 337 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 06:31 PM
SAS Member

People seem to like this one, but I didn't care for it too much. It completely squashed all sex drive and was kinda expensive.
post #296 of 337 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 12:54 PM
SAS Member

Was prescribed 10 mgEscitalopram yesterday and was told to take ½ (5mg) for the first 6 days. Yesterday I took it for the 1sttime.

Quick background… I believeI have suffered from SAD for a very long time and luckily enough I was eitherable to mask/hide it or cope. It is onlynow that I’m going to be 40 years old that I have reached a point where is it affectingme career, my personal/social life, and my family life. I decided that I did not want to enter the 2ndhalf of my life running and hiding from who I want to be and how I want to actand do the things I should be able to do. I was never able to interact with new people or 1 on 1 with people I alreadyknew, even close friends (the couple I’m luck enough to have) and even familymembers. I would find excuses not toattend and type of social interactions and even found myself getting my kid todo things for me because I couldn’t. That I think was the tipping point!

It took me about a year to make an appt to see a Dr. and yesterday I was prescribed 10 mg Escitalopram. Ihave high hopes for this medication and keeping an optimistic outlook on it,knowing it will take time and will not be a miracle pill (although it very wellcould be). I know I cannot rely on apill alone to solve my issues. I willneed to use this medication as a support to face my fears. I will need to force myself into uncomfortablesituations, with the hopes this pill will ease my anxiety so I can learn to beme!

I took 5mg for the first time last night at around 1030pm. I was instructed to take it after dinner asit could make you nauseous if taken on an empty stomach. Unfortunately I was not able to take it immediatelyafter eating and did so 3hrs later. Hereis what I experienced so far:

· Began to feel nauseous about 1.5 hrs aftertaking it, while trying to go to sleep. Wasn’ttoo bad and I was able to fight it. Can’tbe 100% certain it was the medication.

· Had a “weird” night’s sleep. Only way to describe it. Was up and down andweird dreams. Although restless sleepand weird dreams have happened to me before so I am not sure if it was themedication.

· Woke up feel like I always do or didn’t notice anythingdifferent. About 2hrs into my day I didfeel energetic, happier, and motivated. I also think I was interacting more with people than a heads down helloas I walk by. Not a full on conversationbut more than 1 word!

· As the day progressed I found myself feelingmore and more like the person I was pre medication.

I am in no way saying any of this is due to the medicationand I know full well it is atypically for affects to be seen not only with thefirst dose but at such a low strength, 5mg. But I remain optimistic and will report in as often as I can. These support forums help give me courage tochange and if I can do the same or contribute it will make my journey that muchmore rewarding!
post #297 of 337 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 06:26 AM
SAS Member

So day 2 of 5mg Escitalopram…

I took the pill rightafter dinner. I ate late, ~930pm, so Itook the pill at ~10pm. Went to bed~11pm. No nausea and slept great! I also did a some cardio earlier in theevening, so that may have contributed to the good night’s sleep. The cardio I usually do 2X a week, but tookthe last 1.5 weeks off.

I wore up this morning a little later thanusual. Ran 30 minutes late. Woke up really tired, again possibly due tothe cardio…

I am trying to recalleverything I do that do to see what affect this medication may be having onme. I know I’m only on day 2, with avery small dose but if this is the route I will be taking for possibly years tocome, I’m hoping I can be aware of what it is doing to me, both positively andnegatively.

Today I do not feel anything like I did yesterday. Same old SAD stricken me. I will take weeks to possibly feel/notice anychanges, I know. Just trying to monitormy progress for my own benefit and for those who may be looking to take Escitalopram.
post #298 of 337 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 08:28 AM
SAS Member

I just started on Lexapro 5 mg 5 days ago and I started feeling the side effects on day 2. Mainly nausea and giddiness on day 2. Basically sometimes i felt like a drunkard just that minus that giggly, happy feeling. Felt like I was in a daze, can no longer multi task and it took me awhile to recall things. I was also slower than usual when conversing with friends, just not as sharp as before.

My feelings are also muted down. I may or may not continue with this medication. I am still contemplating if I should stop taking it. At this moment my SA only happens at specific events (public speaking, when taking public transport alone, conversing with people of higher authority) hence I don't know if its worth to be on medication and to go through all these side effects?
post #299 of 337 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 09:23 AM
Trending Positive

I'm supposed to start taking this...

...but have passed on it for 2 days out of fear of antidepressants in general and my aversion to side effects. I just recently dumped most of my diabetes meds due to the side effects, and now I'm supposed to put this into my body? I was just getting used to feeling "clean" again. My behavior suggests that I should take it, but dammitall anyway!
post #300 of 337 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:53 AM
Trending Positive

Ok,I took 1/2 of a pill last night before bed. Feeling a little groggy this A.M. It's taken to nearly 11 to feel like getting dressed. I don't feel bad mentally or angry right now. I really just want to go back to sleep. Not sure that this is progress, but it's only the first day.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page