Celexa (citalopram) [SSRI] - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 267 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 06:56 AM
SAS Member

Social Anxiety Background
I am 40, suffering of SAS. One panic attack. Insomnia. Maybe all triggered by work stress.

Other Treatments
First time on medication

Treatment Experience
First month was PURE HELL, a lot of side effects, suicidal thoughts, very bad sleep, worsened anxiety. Then they slowly went away.
Now I'm starting 3rd month and it's WONDERFUL. Very little side effects (only slight less libido and more sweating), have reduced anxiety by 80%. Sleep is still hard to keep (sleep 5hrs x night) but apparently getting better.
Definitely happy this way!
-------------
Sadly after 2 months of citalopram, it started working...only in the afternoon. Doc explained it's because serotonine drops naturally in the night, so morning is always the worst for depressed people (which I didn't know to be). He gave me amisulpride (50mg) for the morning). I'll come back to report.

Last edited by Xenon; 06-10-2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: developments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 267 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 12:16 AM
SAS Member

Social Anxiety Background

I've always been stressed and anxious, but I felt like I was always "in control" of it and able to contain myself. One day I just snapped, everything fell apart: I was utterly depressed, unable to move, unable to eat, and so anxious about social situations I couldn't leave my room for class. Ever since then, I've never been able to go back to that "in control" feeling completely, unless I start to drift to other means of abuse, like eating disorders or self-injury-- just things that I could control again.

The above "breakdown" that I mentioned happened three years ago, and I've never been *quite* as happy or content as I was before then. A lot of really stressful things were happening in my personal life around New Years-- I wasn't sure if my grandmother was going to survive past January. We spent a full month in and out of the hospital, then I lived with her as a primary care giver for three months while still going to school full time. I had to give up my job because of it. I was worried about her, about lack of money, about school, and so many other factors that it was just overwhelming. I cracked and went to a school doctor, who prescribed me with Ativan and Celexa, for longterm treatment.

Treatment Experience

My doctor told me it would take a week or two to really kick in. For the first week, I primarily used Ativan to nip panic attacks as they started so I could just walk into a class room. About 4-days to a week I was able to experience noticeable changes in my behavior. I felt calm, I didn't have to worry about the people around me, I could sit down and focus on school work without doubting myself, and I felt a new determination. The only negative-- and I'm not sure if it was the drug I was taking or the setting I was in (since I was primarily living with my grandmother, it was difficult to stay up late, and the rooms always had a dim lighting), I was drowsy almost constantly. I often found myself napping in the afternoon and going to bed early, between 10-11. This actually helped me with school, because I would be able to wake up early enough to get to class without a problem. One time I passed out cold in one of my computer labs, I was cold, already drowsy and I couldn't understand what was going on. I put my head down because I was starting to get a headache and next thing I know I completely missed the class.

I haven't really experienced the sexual frustration side effect. I actually find that I have that symptom a lot more frequently when I'm depressed or anxious, and that the Celexa actually helped that for me, because I'm calmer and confident, and I don't find myself criticizing myself at every turn.

I actually wasn't able to get my prescription filled for a couple of months, and those months were hell for me. Everything got harder, it felt, and as I got more stressed with school, the more I actively avoided people. I would hide under desks and take fire escapes to avoid conversations. I could feel myself breaking again, and I just resumed taking this drug to try and remedy these symptoms again.

Edit: I should mention that when the doctor mentioned to me that this drug was typically used for depression, and it also worked for SA, I was kind of skeptical but really willing to try anything. I didn't actively realize that I was depressed until I actually felt happiness again. Thats when I realized I hadn't been happy for years.
post #43 of 267 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 03:24 PM
SAS Member

I've been taking Citalopram for almost 5 months now, and I don't really feel much of a difference. I know that it's not supposed to work immediately with any marked difference, but I don't feel generally happier, I don't feel worse, I don't feel anything different, really. I'm taking 20Mg tablets - should I ask for a higher dose?

post #44 of 267 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 04:56 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynshmathryn View Post
I've been taking Citalopram for almost 5 months now, and I don't really feel much of a difference. I know that it's not supposed to work immediately with any marked difference, but I don't feel generally happier, I don't feel worse, I don't feel anything different, really. I'm taking 20Mg tablets - should I ask for a higher dose?
Just be up front and truthful with your pdoc and explain that you don't feel any positive benefits from the meds. he/she may raise your dose or recommend another med.
post #45 of 267 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 01:55 PM
SAS Member

Well I've just started taking citalopram today, 10mg for the first couple of weeks. Mainly to help with the depression, panic attacks and anxiety. First tablet has made me feel extremely drowsy. Hopefully I wont suffer from the other side effects. Is it wise to drink/smoke (tobacco and weed) while on it?
post #46 of 267 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 03:25 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el flaco View Post
Well I've just started taking citalopram today, 10mg for the first couple of weeks. Mainly to help with the depression, panic attacks and anxiety. First tablet has made me feel extremely drowsy. Hopefully I wont suffer from the other side effects. Is it wise to drink/smoke (tobacco and weed) while on it?
I would stay away from drinking first 4-6 weeks on it, as this is the time it usually takes to reach full effectiveness, so you shouldn't do anything which might slow or impact this process
post #47 of 267 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 02:00 AM
Ativan Angel <3

I take 40 mg of Citalipram a day, and I think this drug is great! It may have some side effects that suck (slight loss of libido, feeling a little zonked out), but it definitely keeps the depression and anxiety at bay.

"Neither comprehension nor learning can take place in an atmosphere of anxiety." - Rose F. Kennedy
post #48 of 267 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 06:44 PM
SAS Member

I'm currently taking 10 mg daily and I guess it does sort of help. Although there is one thing I'm extremely concerned about, whenever I'm on it and don't get what I want I get extremely angry and seem to get a rage I can't control. I already lost it on my mom and almost slapped my sister for not giving me the laptop. IDK is anger a symptom of using it?

“If you wake up in a different time, in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?” - Tyler Durden
post #49 of 267 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 07:47 PM
SAS Member

First few days it turned me into a tired zombie. At like day four or so I got suicidal and was nearly hospitalized. Until I was taken off of it the only good part of my days were lighting up a cigarette.

Sucks thinking about .

You want me to bottle my rage
Cause you never had the heart to say what I say.
My life, my body, my pride.
You have no opinion, no right.
I've built myself nothing like you.
My refusal is my way of life.

-Hatebreed
post #50 of 267 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 11:05 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyFretz View Post
First few days it turned me into a tired zombie. At like day four or so I got suicidal and was nearly hospitalized.
I had the same reaction at about day 8 and was taken off. It sounds like they need to come up with a better drug or treatment plan if a lot of people get more depressed on the anti-depressant.

And yes, it does suck thinking about it.
post #51 of 267 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 06:22 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified View Post
I had the same reaction at about day 8 and was taken off. It sounds like they need to come up with a better drug or treatment plan if a lot of people get more depressed on the anti-depressant.

And yes, it does suck thinking about it.
And because of the reaction they said it was because I was bipolar. Was put on mood stabilizers that made me have to piss all the time.

...Turns out I'm not bipolar and shouldn't be on anything. Stopped getting help and been happy ever since. Funny how things work out.

You want me to bottle my rage
Cause you never had the heart to say what I say.
My life, my body, my pride.
You have no opinion, no right.
I've built myself nothing like you.
My refusal is my way of life.

-Hatebreed
post #52 of 267 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyFretz View Post
And because of the reaction they said it was because I was bipolar. Was put on mood stabilizers that made me have to piss all the time.

...Turns out I'm not bipolar and shouldn't be on anything. Stopped getting help and been happy ever since. Funny how things work out.
Ugh sorrry to hear that you got misdiagnosed. Sometimes I think psych's are far too quick to pull the trigger on potential illnesses. It's similar to when multitudes of kids were put on ritalin during the 90's for apparently all being ADD. Many could have worked off that energy playing outside rather than being loaded with pills.
post #53 of 267 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 06:13 PM
SAS Member

My experience with Celexa thus far has been rather insignificant. I was on 10 mg for a period of three months, during which i noticed a minor alleviation in some of the physiological symptoms of SA, such as excessive sweating, blushing, palpitations, etc. It also lifted my mood a bit. However, i still felt extremely uncomfortable in most social situations, and despite the CBT i was also undergoing, i found myself engaging in old, avoidant behavior. Therefore, i decided to ask for an increase to 20 mg, which i have been on since July of this year. It hasn't really made much of a difference, honestly. As for side effects, other than the occasional headache, blunted orgasm, and fogginess, what i have found most disconcerting is the emotional/physical disconnect Celexa produces. In other words, it is very unsettling to be unable to feel sad and cry when you want to. It's almost like the mind and body don't align anymore. Even though i really don't enjoy this feeling (or lack thereof), i'm probably going to go up to 30 or 40 mg because i feel stuck.

Has anyone noticed an improvement with an increase to 30 or 40 mg?
post #54 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 07:31 AM
SAS Member

I was previously on citalopram for over a year, just 10mg, but it sorted me out and I was able to work a retail job. I stopped taking it gradually, and a month later I found myself unable to do my job anymore, my doctor signed me off work and I resigned. I had it combined with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, though that was over the phone and they were in a rush to get rid of me it seemed, so the therapy only lasted two months and I honestly don't think I had enough of it.

Following a few months of depression and severe anxiety, I've just started on 10mg a day again, and since I'm currently waking up late in the morning I've been taking the tablets before I sleep instead of in the morning (I took them at night the whole year I was on them previously).

I was woken during the night last night after two hours sleep, but found myself with tremors and a very dry mouth - I was also very restless, unable to get comfortable and sleep again. That's only after my second day on them, though, so I imagine it's either a side effect or a result of increased anxiety and worrying, since I was worrying irrationally and unable to stop. :/ I expect it to improve over the next couple of weeks, and I'll also be seeing my doctor then, so I'll report back on how it's going.
post #55 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 03:00 AM
SAS Member

Question

How Many Celexa patients have a new life and.....

How many Celexa patients who have had positive results from your SAD, and feel somewhat like a normal person, or at least getting there, who may have, or think they may have Asperger's Syndrome? If another SSRI gave you the same reaction, the same question applies.
post #56 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Rhanch

I've been taking 40 mg of Celexa for about a month along with 150 mg of Wellbutrin for about two months. The Wellbutrin seemed to make me more assertive in social situations while Celexa hammered the increased anxiety caused by the Wellbutrin. So together they seem to work. Especially since I feel reasonably good, and at this point in the holiday season I would otherwise be ready to take a swan dive off a tall bridge.
post #57 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 11:19 AM
SAS Member

I'm currently on 40mg once a day, And have been for the last 2 and a half months (Month one was 20mg, Month two I was upped to 40mg), However I'm still not noticing any real difference as of yet, I know SSRI's take time to work, But surely after this long they should have had some effect by now ? I don't wan't to feel like i'm pestering my doctor by asking for perhaps another medication or a higher dosage, Or for him to think i'm pill chasing, But what other SSRI's are there out there that are good for Social Anxiety ? I'm also on Diazepam (5mg Tablets up to 30mg a day for bad days of anxiety), although I only use this medication perhaps once or twice a week before any form of social activity.

Side Effects In the first 2 weeks on 20mg where okay, A lot of tiredness, Odd headache and stomach aches followed by nausea, these have subsided now though.

I'll stick to the citalopram for the next 2 weeks until I have my monthly doctors appointment then perhaps talk to my doctor about this.
post #58 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 07:57 AM
kos
SAS Member

I'm trying to wean off Celexa. Started at 20mg then bumped up to 40 then back down to 20 and now I'm just taking 10mg with my goal to get off it once my pills run dry. The withdrawl of missing a day sucks. Today I'm feeling weird sensations in my chest and I'm wondering if it's related. The feeling of my brain is like a drunk/highness, it's messed up. The worst side effect though is the sexual dysfunction.
post #59 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:30 AM
SAS Member

I went a bit insane on this Within about half an hour of taking the first one I fell asleep for three hours, then woke up stroking the noticeboard next to my bed, convinced that someone had changed the material it was made of whilst I was sleeping... lol. Complete insomnia and awful nighttime panic attacks followed, alongside crazy depersonalization. Came off it after two days My doctor said it works fine for most people, however.

"Yes! It's all vanity, it's all an illusion, everything except that infinite sky." Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

My blog (on books, anxiety & assorted things)
post #60 of 267 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 12:30 PM
kos
SAS Member

Can someone tell me with 100% certainty that Celexa does not contain any amphetamines or caffein?

I am reading this anxiety book and it says you should stay away from these stimulants as much as you can even though amphetamines are used in some prescription drugs.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page