Celexa (citalopram) [SSRI] - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 11:57 AM
SOUTHPAW

Oh man K0m I feel the exact same, I have been on Celexa for 1.5 months and my life is changed. I was slowly turning into an alcoholic (i'm 21) because I had to drink to do anything in life because my depression and anxiety were completely crippling me. I have had anxiety since I can remember (all the way back to kindergarten). I tried boozing, weed, and finally I went the med route. Propranolol was a life savior however it just masked the anxiety but I still mentally had it, so I wanted something I could take that would last all day. I finally got on Celexa after over a decade of suffering, I moved out on my own and was starving because I was too afraid to find work even though I couldn't pay my rent or food that's how bad it was. Finally since Celexa I have gotten a job and had zero anxiety doing it, I just feel good about myself all the time and can do things effortlessly now without overthinking EVERYTHING and being afraid of it.

I also have ZERO side effects, no sexual dysfunction, no appetite effects nothing. The first 3 days I felt really spacey but since then it has just continued to go upwards. I highly recommend Celexa to anyone, i'm only on 20mg and my life has already changed for the better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 07:03 AM
cmr
Prozac!

Last year, I was prescribed citalopram for my SAD. I started on 10 mg, then after a month 20 mg, and then 40 mg. For the first few days taking it I felt a little lightheaded at times, but it wore off. Another side effect was a slight pressure on my forehead once in a while.

I felt a change within a couple of weeks. My mood was lifted, and I felt happier. I also stopped having crying fits or the feeling of wanting to cry. In fact, I never cried while I was on it, which was a little strange to me. As for my anxiety, It seemed to alleviate some of it but I wasn't too sure. I decided to try 60 mg, which wasn't good. I started to get frustrated and angry, and also more anxious. So I went back down to 40 mg, which was good for me.
I am now testing out Effexor, but I may go back to Citalopram for various reasons.
post #23 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Powering through.

Social Anxiety Background
From early childhood to today (I'm 25). Pretty severe ever since middle school. Last six years have been accompanied by depression.

Treatment Experience

Took it for a few months. No effect, or side effects. Other than being disillusioned by a treatment not working, which anyone embarking on medication should brace for. 20 mg for the first month, 40 for the second two. For what it's worth I didn't feel any stigma about taking it.

post #24 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 05:09 AM
SAS Member

Severe SA from when i was 12 till present day; now commorbid with depression

Treatment Experience

First 30 days after dosage was great; felt happy and no anxiety; but then gave way to severe nausea to the point where i couldn't move. Dont recommend.

Currently On: Fluvoxamine
post #25 of 267 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Permanently Banned

SA since 16, depression since 10.

Treatment Experience
Was on it for 7 months. I found it tolerable, with the main side effect being drowsiness and crazy dreams. There was a moderate reduction in anxiety, no difference to depression. I stopped because eventually I just wanted to be drug free.
post #26 of 267 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 01:39 PM
SAS Member

worked somewhat well - Lexapro worked even better (in fact, Lexapro was *fantastic* at eliminating depression - from the very first dose).

i actually tried celexa *after* lexapro - because lexapro caused me to break out in a *severe* skin rash...i told my doc that since celexa is closely related to lexapro, i'd probably have the same results...but since no other drug has EVER helped with my depression like Lexapro did, he said celexa was worth a try...unfortunately, i was right.
post #27 of 267 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Agoraphobic Anxietist

Lexapro was the most helpful medication I ever took in my life, unfortunately my insurance didn't cover it so they switched me to celexa which gave me the typical zombie-like approach to life. If I ever decided to take medicine again, it would start with Lexapro.

Love is the only way to Justice
post #28 of 267 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 09:16 PM
is sad

Is this the same as Cipralex? My doctor told me they are the same. I take 20mg daily but it doesn't help with my SA. I think it helps with my depression though. It definitely plays no role in helping my blushing problems.
post #29 of 267 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 10:46 AM
SAS Member

I take 20 mgs a day. i cannot say that it has done diddly for me in regards to SA. But my depression has improved.
post #30 of 267 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 09:13 PM
SAS Member

I was on 40 mg for a little over a year. It did nothing for me. No bad side effects either. I went off it because I wanted to try to be drug free, especially since it did nothing.
post #31 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 AM
SAS Member

Ive been on Citalopram for about 3 weeks now, so far nothing has changed, although i feel more depressed at times. Im not sure if i should give it more time or try something else.
post #32 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 12:04 PM
SAS Member

I've been on that for years it does work. It worked wonders for me actually, well my panic attacks. I'm on 20mg now, down from 40mg if I remember right.
post #33 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 01:12 PM
just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcq126 View Post
Oh man K0m I feel the exact same, I have been on Celexa for 1.5 months and my life is changed. I was slowly turning into an alcoholic (i'm 21) because I had to drink to do anything in life because my depression and anxiety were completely crippling me. I have had anxiety since I can remember (all the way back to kindergarten). I tried boozing, weed, and finally I went the med route. Propranolol was a life savior however it just masked the anxiety but I still mentally had it, so I wanted something I could take that would last all day. I finally got on Celexa after over a decade of suffering, I moved out on my own and was starving because I was too afraid to find work even though I couldn't pay my rent or food that's how bad it was. Finally since Celexa I have gotten a job and had zero anxiety doing it, I just feel good about myself all the time and can do things effortlessly now without overthinking EVERYTHING and being afraid of it.

I also have ZERO side effects, no sexual dysfunction, no appetite effects nothing. The first 3 days I felt really spacey but since then it has just continued to go upwards. I highly recommend Celexa to anyone, i'm only on 20mg and my life has already changed for the better.

I would like to say thank-you chum, that was a great post exactly the crap i have to go through lessining tho :twist ed

Don't spread false information that's also bordering, on doseage advice.

Have a working healthy relationship with your doctor.

Major depressive disorder
Bi-Polar Disorder
Social Anxiety
post #34 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 01:42 PM
SOUTHPAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikNak31 View Post
I've been on that for years it does work. It worked wonders for me actually, well my panic attacks. I'm on 20mg now, down from 40mg if I remember right.
If you don't mind me asking, what was the difference you noticed between 20 and 40 mg of Celexa? I've been on 20mg for one year now and always debated going up to 40mg. Is it just more side effects to deal with or do you actually notice a benefit from when you were on 40mg?
post #35 of 267 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 03:31 AM
SAS Member

Well for me I noticed I felt more brave, confident and liking myself more and going out was awesome. I felt side effects bigtime Tired, feeling of unwell,panic attacks and other stuff I cant think of right now.
Work would of been impossible with the symptoms I had.
When I moved down to 20mg I felt depressed, no motivation, drowsey, panic attacks.....I actually went down to 10mg but life felt grimm and emotional, 20mg is about right though I'd prefere 40mg. After being on 20mg for ages the way I feel I mentioned earlier comes and goes but with little to no panic attacks just anxiety in social situations thats very off putting.
post #36 of 267 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Marbles Lost

I was only on Citalopram for 2 days and had to give it up.

GP prescribed me with 20mg a day for 2 weeks to start with. She never warned me of the effects or anything.

The first day I took it I felt fine, a nice numbness in my mind and my thoughts didn't feel a rushed as they were before.

Then in the early hours of the morning I woke up to an instant panic attack. The worst I have encountered to date. My heart was pounding away for about a minute and it felt like hot acid was flowing through my veins. My hands and feet were sweating a lot as well. Later that day I felt numb in my mind, my thoughts were slow, my hands were shaking, felt my skin was crawling all over and my heartbeat was still erratic. I had lost my appetite completely and felt no energy to do anything. I also had diarrhoea and was violently sick that evening. Gave them up the next day and feel much better for it. Although the whole experience has shaken me up an awful lot I will admit.

This was my first experience with anti depressants and it has put me off taking anymore in the future.
post #37 of 267 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 07:43 PM
SAS Member

I could not have orgasms while on celexa so I quit taking it. I can't say whether or not it didn't anything for my anxiety as I was not on it long enough to find out.
post #38 of 267 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Just Me

I'm currently taking 20 mgs of Celexa a day, increased from the initial 10 I started out at. I don't think it's working. Neither my SA nor my depression has improved noticeably. All Celexa has done so far is decrease my sex drive, and like one other person has said, it's hard, if not sometimes impossible, to orgasm or to have as good an orgasm.

"The creative person is both more primitive and more cultivated, more destructive, a lot madder and a lot saner, than the average person." - Frank Barron
post #39 of 267 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 06:03 AM
ter
SAS Member

thinking about switching from celexa to something different.

my doctor put me on 20 mg of celexa for panic attacks and he said it also helps with depression.. i was never really depressed to begin with and he pretty much just pushed me to take it..

anyway. i've been taking it for about 2 months and i don't want to up my dose because i tried 10 days on 40 mg and it made me feel suicidal and i actually had more panic episodes..

i don't want to be on a high dose of anything that i have to take long term, i don't even want to really be on these drugs at all because of the multitude of side effects..

has anyone switched from celexa to something different and was it benificial for the anxiety?
post #40 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 03:28 AM
baclofen enthusiast

been on citalopram for just a small time for it increased a lot my anxiety. severe difficulties falling asleep. dosage changes a lot the effect of citalopram. uneven dosages (10,30...) are better.
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page