Would you want to live after the apocalypse? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Would you want to live after the apocalypse?

I've always found it weird in post-appocalyptic movies and stories that a lot of people cling to life even after all the pleasures in life are gone, and they have to survive in a suddenly 100x harsher world.

Also, especially with the moral nihilism that tends to go in these kinds of stories where the main characters make peace with killing other survivors if they have to protect their group or whatever. (I'm thinking of Walking dead style stories). I think most Zombie movies fall in that group, because it's so f** disgusting to have to kill rotten dead humans just to move and scavenge stuff, and people you know turning into these things.

I mean I always imagine myself the type of person to just lie down and be killed in that situation, but that doesn't make for an interesting story, lol.

Anyway, is it just me? or do you guys think you would actually fight to be alive in these scenarios instead of just letting whatever disaster take you and end you?

---

I think one post appocalytic story that was very dark and 'realistic' was 'The road'. I read the story and saw the movie years ago. Though I don't plan to rewatch or reread because I remember it being too dark it can only be seen once, lol.

https://[email protected]/watch?v=8hH...=RyanHollinger

^ this channel is super awesome btw. I have a very similar taste in movies as his, and he does very neat analysis.

Mucus is a living thing you know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 02:36 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
"You have to carry the fire."

I both understood and didn't understand the concept in The Road... If you think about it, most people don't need an apocalypse to be living in similar hopeless, dire conditions. A ton of people already do. Yet they don't hang themselves from the rafters and continue on. Why?

To answer the question, I barely want to live now. Definitely would not want to while being hunted by cannibals and starving and freezing.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 03:13 PM
⚰️👻

My Mood: Dead
I don't particularly want to live now, why would I want it then, yes I'd fight to live but only because its in my nature not because I actually want to.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 03:47 PM
Some people juggle geese.

Yeah, I think I would try and live after the apocalypse. I don't know how successful I would be, but I would try. I think a challenge would be interesting, lol.

I think of the reality tv show The Colony (not the more recent drama) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Co...ican_TV_series) or yeah all the zombie shows.

I have heard of The Road, I think I even got the book from my Dad, but didn't feel like reading such a dark book. Similarly only got through part of Blindness about a mass epidemic of blindness that collapses society https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindness_(novel). So why if I don't even want to read these stories do I think I would still try I guess it depends on how bad the people get.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 03:53 PM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
yes just so I can say I told you so lol.

I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. ― Mother Teresa
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by introvert33 View Post
Similarly only got through part of Blindness about a mass epidemic of blindness that collapses society https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindness_(novel). So why if I don't even want to read these stories do I think I would still try I guess it depends on how bad the people get.
I just saw the movie adapting this book a few days ago. The movie was really bad, but I assume the book is better (they have the Nobel prize or something). I just think it's hard to make a movie about everyone being blind, lol. The performances were just not realistic enough.

Also, I think some of the cruelty in the movie (story?) was just random and done for shock value. It didn't seem like how realistic humans would behave.

One thing I think they weren't realistic enough about is how filthy a place full of recently blinded people stuck in an unfamiliar place would become, lol, ew ew.

One movie that was very gruesome was "the Divide". Again, a lot of the cruelty seemed unnecessary and random, though in this case at least they a few people trapped in a cellar. So, you could argue everyone was going crazy.

That seems like something I could be doing in the apocalypse though (being trapped with random people in a cellar :/ ). Probably would wait until one of them killed me

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 04:30 PM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
I need sterile medical supplies to live and can't function independently, so, nope, nope, nope. Kill me quickly in the first wave, please.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 04:54 PM
anxiolytic

Language: 'Merican
Bring it on fam.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 11:41 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
Well first off, it would obviously depend on the type of apocalypse we have.

Second, I think most surviving people would cope relatively well. Imagine how people react to war - I don't think it would be very different in the end of the day.

Personally, I would be fine I believe.

"If you need a safe space, see a therapist" - Jordan Peterson
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 01:28 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
I don't even want to live before the apocalypse. The disruption in the supply of sugary junk food alone would make me smooch a Glock. Never mind when the internet drops.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 04:02 AM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
Well, I've had probably hundreds of dreams about apocalypses of one sort or another (zombies, cannibals, aliens, natural disasters, etc.), and I always try to survive in them, so I guess I'd probably try to survive. I probably wouldn't last long, though. Most of my survival dreams end with me being captured or killed, whereupon I wake up (usually in a cold sweat).

Trying to survive isn't the same as wanting to live, though. I don't want to live now. I just keep going because I can't get approval for euthanasia and I don't want to hurt anyone by suddenly offing myself.

Is it just me or is it getting crazier out there.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 08:48 AM
SAS Member

Yes, it’s called hope. Hope that you can help humankind to recover. Hope is what keeps us going. Hopelessness leads to suicide. None of the movies on pandemics look like the real pandemic either but there was hoarding at the beginning and there have continued to be some selfish behaviors. In general. I think most intelligent people are considerate and want to be helpful. Social media certainly has brought the “crazy” out in some people though! All sorts of misinformation out there!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2020, 07:08 PM
Socializing with myself

Language: Created my own language for context
What's a post apocalypse?

Signature Under Construction - Be back very soon to update knowledge!

In the meantime. I'll perfect my writing techniques.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 11:55 PM
Wash Away The Rain

It would probably make life more straightforward.

I'm already a nihilist, this would make things clearer to me.

Doesn't look like anything to me
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2020, 06:15 PM
SAS Member

This thread reminded me of the movie The Divide. Given I had the resources such as an energy generator for electricity, a waste water renewal system(for fresh water), minimal tools for hygiene, mayyyyyybe I'll be alright with surviving. Or perhaps that's just silly wishful thinking!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings_speech View Post
This thread reminded me of the movie The Divide. Given I had the resources such as an energy generator for electricity, a waste water renewal system(for fresh water), minimal tools for hygiene, mayyyyyybe I'll be alright with surviving. Or perhaps that's just silly wishful thinking!
I watched that movie recently. It was pretty gruesome honestly (cutting up the dead bodies, the torture, that toilet thing, ew, etc, the SMELL!). I think I liked it though. : P

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 05:45 PM
Big Boo's Haunt

If the post-apocalyptic world is just the same except no other humans around, then absolutely. I was pretty much hoping for a simulation of that when COVID-19 shutdowns hit.
But unfortunately I don't have the survival skills to deal with things when electricity and water services stop. I wouldn't know how to preserve food and I don't want to hunt animals so my life would just turn into trying to figure out how to stop bugs from getting into cereal and crackers, and trying to figure out how to grow fruit and veges before I get sick from malnutrition. I live in a climate where I can survive without heating, but I'd want to get a good supply of matches, lighters etc. for cooking. I'd probably find a place to learn how to build a fire. I'd be screwed if there was a natural disaster or if one of my 'learning experiments' got out of control.

**** you and your mandatory custom signature.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 06:18 PM
Failure's Art

Aren't we in the middle of an apocalypse now?

But anyway, I think I would actually like to survive an apocalypse and live in the aftermath.The idea of living in a world after social collapse where most of humanity is gone and there is no government or corporate authority would be very appealing. I am generally disgusted by the excesses of human society, consumerism and our soulless corporate spawned monoculture. I wish we could reset all of society, go back a couple hundred years to when there was less convenience but more meaning, and start all over again. Rebuild a different kind of society based on different values. Build a society that isn't obsessed with wealth, status, and ever-increasing efficiency and rates of growth. Build a society based on shared experiences and culture not on material possessions.

Of course this all presupposes that I and the rest of the people who survived the apoclalypse could learn how to harvest sufficient resources to even survive. I'm guessing the first couple of years would be rough trying to learn how to hunt, gather, grow crops / garden, etc. I've lived in the city my whole life, I've never eaten anything that didn't come off a shelf at a grocery store. I've never even been fishing.

Everybody knows you only live a day but it's brilliant anyway
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

@either/or

Yeah I agree this idea is really appealing. I love reading stories about the apocalypse and the "few who remain" trying to build things back up. Also, all the "stuff" being left behind as most of humanity is gone. Also nature would reclaim the gigantic cities everywhere. People who would be born, say 200 years after that apocalypse would have so much to wonder about, and how they write their history and so on.

I probably wouldn't make it though. I wouldn't be very useful in that kind of society

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 06:22 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
I am living in the only world I could live in. And even at that, I'm cheating (living with parents and not working and running out the clock).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page