What do you think the nature of the mind is? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 01:26 PM
SAS Member

Bernardo Kastrup claims to have refuted materialism/physicalism...

https://www.freewiki.eu/en/index.php...rnardo_Kastrup

Quote:
What is special about Kastrup is that he argues very precisely and logically, point by point, and not only appeals to a general a priori understanding or metaphysical convictions. He attaches great importance to the fact that his theory explains the empirical findings both from quantum physics and from neurophysiological research well and simply. He presents this point of view so logically, conclusively and clearly that we can assume that materialism (or physicalism) in all its variations, which is currently still considered "scientific" in ideological discussions, is fundamentally refuted or that its suitability as a scientifically meaningful explanatory principle for a comprehensive understanding of the world is disproven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 07:45 AM
SAS Member

I don't think consciousness and matter (or energy, or the physical, etc) are in essence different things. I think these words refer to different perspectives rather than different things. When looking a body or a brain, one can see matter, but not consciousness. But we project a 1st person perspective onto that 3rd person matter, and create a duality in which a person is at the same time mind (1st person) and matter (3rd person). I don't think mind is more mysterious than matter, since I think they are, in essence, the same nature. The mystery for me is existence itself, which includes 1st and 3rd person perspective as two sides of the same coin. One of the limitations I see in scientific method is that, even though it can find laws and predict the behaviour of matter, it can't reach the essence of matter itself.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 08:02 AM
SAS Member

The mind is the soul. The brain holds the soul. The nature of the mind is always changing. The soul is always changing. Always evolving. Trying to understand and better itself.

I won't get too much into this because it is too deep.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 04:56 PM
Moron

Obviously my mind is in a jar in another reality.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 05:10 PM
alien monk

all narrative. the only thing that has meaning is concepts, language, communication. the mind is communication, external and internal. saying "I'm going to give him a piece of my mind" = real. communication creates the sense of mind/subjective other (and self). mind consists only of communication.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 03:03 AM
Social Pothole

Quote:
Do you think the mind is purely physical, as in simply reducible to all of the physical processes of the brain?
From the own personal beliefs, it's this pure and simple. I always feel many people like to seek the deeper meaning of something for their own fulfillment when there really isn't. But of course... what the heck do I know.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page