What do you think the nature of the mind is? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English

What do you think the nature of the mind is?

Do you think the mind is purely physical, as in simply reducible to all of the physical processes of the brain?

Do you think there is some sort of dualism where there is something over and above the physical processes of the brain that accounts for the mind?

Do you believe that the mind is something different from the brain/body altogether, like a soul that inhabits the body like the ghost in the machine (substance dualism)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 05:36 AM
SAS Member

I do believe in a soul or spirit that inhabits the body and works along with the brain to create what you are. I lean towards reincarnation and I think that's what gets passed on.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 06:05 AM
Leftist Darkness

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Hmm I would think the mind is reducible to neuronal activity.

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
The teeth have long departed
Yet the desire burns strong
On in desire for destruction
One on which she'll depend
One that ceases to deepen
Too near bitter end

Black through the mountains
She turns her loosening ring
Guardian angel sings
"I think you've lost your wings, but you're still yours
You're still yours, you're still yours"

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 08:23 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I think our minds are dingle-berries on the butthole of the universe, hanging on since the big bang.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqwsderf View Post
I do believe in a soul or spirit that inhabits the body and works along with the brain to create what you are. I lean towards reincarnation and I think that's what gets passed on.
That's interesting. What has led you to adopt this belief?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Hmm I would think the mind is reducible to neuronal activity.
I lean that way myself. I think it would be rather extraordinary for the mind to be something over and above the physical processes of the brain.

That being said, it is pretty amazing that consciousness has arisen out of physical matter. That has always baffled me.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 05:46 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
I have enough trouble understanding the nature of my keyboard. I'll believe the experts. They might not really know but they're more intelligent.

/WYSD
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 06:08 AM
SAS Member

Language: American English, Gibberish
It's another organ in your body that connects neurons and other nice chemicals responsible for mood, thoughts and actions, and helps you by telling when something is wrong and signals pain. Its evolutionary purpose served for basic survival (fight-or-flight) and now also gives us the ability to cognitively think and express with language (though it can be hard to believe the former with some people, but I digress...)

It's a fascinating topic that psychology touches base on. If really wanting to get into the specifics, psychiatry is the field for it.

"Courage is not the absence of Fear. Courage is Fear walking." - Dr. Susan David

"If you put shame in a petri dish, it needs three ingredients to grow exponentially: secrecy, silence, and judgement. If you put the same amount of shame in the petri dish and douse it with empathy, it cannot survive." - Dr. Brené Brown
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 09:28 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pechorin View Post
That's interesting. What has led you to adopt this belief?
I'm not religous. I haven't researched belief systems and I wouldn't follow a specific one. I started thinking about reincarnation when I was a kid, not knowing it was something commonly known. It just makes sense to me. The way energy is reused.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNikki View Post
It's another organ in your body that connects neurons and other nice chemicals responsible for mood, thoughts and actions, and helps you by telling when something is wrong and signals pain. Its evolutionary purpose served for basic survival (fight-or-flight) and now also gives us the ability to cognitively think and express with language (though it can be hard to believe the former with some people, but I digress...)

It's a fascinating topic that psychology touches base on. If really wanting to get into the specifics, psychiatry is the field for it.
It's a question that has interested philosophers for millennia. Thankfully with the various fields that apply the scientific method to the study of the brain/mind, we have made quite a bit of progress in understanding how different parts of the brain work and we've been able to put forward some convincing theories about human behaviour. There is still a lot of work to do before we fully understand it all, though (if we ever will).

I think the big question for those of us who believe that we can reduce mental states to physical processes is how can physical matter produce these conscious states? It's fascinating and perplexing.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
I'm not religous. I haven't researched belief systems and I wouldn't follow a specific one. I started thinking about reincarnation when I was a kid, not knowing it was something commonly known. It just makes sense to me. The way energy is reused.
I can understand the reasoning behind it.

Are you hoping for another life as part of the human species or would you prefer something different next time around?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 02:17 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
I'm not sure, but I have thought a lot about it. If you were to remove all of your senses, all of your emotions, all of your memories, would there be anything left. I have thought about a possibility of a simple awareness, that is what receives all of those things I have listed, it is what experiences them. It would be without emotion, thought, any of our senses, or memories - because those are all functions of the brain. A simple awareness only capable of experiencing and seeking out experiences, but would that awareness be a universal law of nature that we all share, or is each awareness independent from one another?

I've found it interesting, that people who have had a corpus calloscotomy may not even aware of what one side of their body is doing as though there are two separate individuals for each side of the brain so would that mean two separate souls?

I don't know, it is just random thoughts I have had. I also think of the possibility of living again, due to an infinite amount of time, could we exist again without ever even knowing it, have we existed before doing the same things we are now? Could we have existed millions of times already, without ever being aware of it.

It is remarkable that any one of us exist though, given the chances of it ever happening in the first place. What are the odds of it happening, given all of the variables? It is just mind boggling to think about, so that gives me pause of thought. Then there are all of the accounts of near death experiences, people who have recall of past lives, those are absolutely fascinating to read about.

I really don't know, I've looked at the arguments from a lot of sides, and still remain clueless. It is well above my pay-grade

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 02:19 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
I can understand the reasoning behind it.

Are you hoping for another life as part of the human species or would you prefer something different next time around?
I would rather not go through this again lol, but I wouldn't be aware of it.

Maybe if reincarnation is real there's a likelihood that it could go beyond this existence. Perhaps another planet, species, even timeline.

But that's just me thinking 🙂
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
I would rather not go through this again lol, but I wouldn't be aware of it.

Maybe if reincarnation is real there's a likelihood that it could go beyond this existence. Perhaps another planet, species, even timeline.

But that's just me thinking 🙂
That's interesting. I never really thought about the possibility of being born in a different corner of the universe or in a different time period.

I like the way you think!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 02:24 PM
SAS Member

I sometimes get these moments that I call being "hyper aware" where I'm like whoa how can I be seeing through these eyes. How am I experiencing life through only this body.. it trips me out.

Just me?
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
I sometimes get these moments that I call being "hyper aware" where I'm like whoa how can I be seeing through these eyes. How am I experiencing life through only this body.. it trips me out.

Just me?
Never experienced it myself.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 02:40 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Never experienced it myself.
Interesting.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 02:45 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
Quote:

Just me?

Yep, I get them pretty often. It is as though it were sudden recognition that I exist at all, and being amazed that I do. As I type that it, I realize how foolish it sounds. I think I get caught up in day to day life, that it becomes almost like auto pilot - then I snap myself out of it. It is hard to explain exactly, especially given my current fatigued frame of mind.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 02:47 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonebox View Post
Yep, I get them pretty often. It is as though it were sudden recognition that I exist at all, and being amazed that I do. As I type that it, I realize how foolish it sounds. I think I get caught up in day to day life, that it becomes almost like auto pilot - then I snap myself out of it. It is hard to explain exactly, especially given my current fatigued frame of mind.
Yes! You're better at putting it into words than I am.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 01:51 PM
Dogra Magra

Language: 中国語
I don't know about the reducibility problem, but consciousness (as in the subjective experience of being a living person) and the parts of mental activity that we are somehow able to convey (thoughts, judgements, our rudimentary understanding of feelings, etc.) feel, qualitatively, like two different "kinds of things". I would postulate that the former is a more expansive kind of awareness, while the latter acts as a filter to restrict it to certain characteristics or patterns, although we do not experience this filter as such.

On account that our thought patterns can come to be so ingrained that they can become instinctual reflexes ("embedded" in our conscious experience), I am tempted to think the two actually arise from the same source, perhaps through different mechanisms. In the same way then such ingrained thoughts-turned-perceptions can be trained out of our realities if we knew how.

Although one reservation I have with materialism/monism is that seem to have been attempts to "explain away" the subjective experience of consciousness as an illusion or a misperception. That p(hilosophical)-zombies are in essence no different from an ordinary person. It's possible that I have misinterpreted these philosophers, but that seems like an attempt to coerce what we don't (perhaps can't) understand into a form that we can.

It would be interesting to see where modern science would have led us today on the topic of consciousness, if it had not been based on the ancient Greek/Aristotelian methods of investigation. But I don't know what an alternative to that would look like, or if there even is one, given the limitations of the medium of our observation, the human mind.

my otome tumblr blog

realisation: the act or process of becoming real. —Webster

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page