Welcome to 2070 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Yoink

Exclamation

Welcome to 2070

Welcome to the year 2070 AD. Global warming predictions are coming true, just a hell of a lot sooner.

Are you concerned?

https://www.businessinsider.com/gree...st-case-2019-8

Quote:
Greenland's ice is melting at the rate scientists thought would be our worst-case scenario in 2070

Greenland is known for its glaciers, but in the past month, the island has shed ice and taken on fire.

Scientists didn't expect to see Greenland melt at this rate for another 50 years: By the last week of July, the melting had reached levels that climate models projected for 2070 in the most pessimistic scenario.

On August 1, Greenland's ice sheet lost 12.5 billions tons of ice, more than any day since researchers started recording ice loss in 1950, The Washington Post reported.

The dramatic melt suggests that Greenland's ice sheet is approaching a tipping point that could set it on an irreversible course towards disappearing entirely. If that happens, catastrophic sea-level rise would swallow coastal cities across the globe. As ice melt continues to outpace scientists' expectations, some fear that could happen more quickly than they thought.
55 billion tons of water in 5 days

A satellite image shows melt-water ponding on the surface of the ice sheet in northwest Greenland, near the sheet’s edge, on July 30, 2019. NASA via Associated Press The Arctic's melting season starts each year in June and ends in August, with peak melting in July. However, the scale of ice loss in Greenland this year was extraordinary. From July 30 to August 3, melting occurred across 90% of the continent's surface, dumping 55 billion tons of water over 5 days. That's enough to cover Florida in almost 5 inches of water.

The melting mirrored the record-breaking ice loss seen in 2012, when almost all of Greenland's ice sheet was exposed to melting for the first time in documented history. This year, the ice started to melt even earlier than in 2012 and three weeks earlier than average, CNN reported.

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Yoink

part 2 of 3

Some of these predictions are for the distant future. Like "completely melted in 1,000 years". This doesn't make sense to me. Everyone knows they won't be around in 1,000 years. I think the parts of the ice shelf could break off and cause immense tidal waves TOMORROW not in 1,000 years.

Quote:
This extreme melting came during the hottest month ever recorded, as an intense heat wave washed over Europe then wafted over to Greenland.

Low-elevation ice began to melt and form pools across the ice sheet, and those pools' dark colors absorbed more sunlight, which further melted the glacier around them and exposed more ice to hot air.
Ice melts during a heatwave in Kangerlussuaq, Greenland on August 1, 2019.Caspar Haarloev from "Into the Ice" documentary via Reuters Similarly above-average melting was observed in Switzerland — glaciers there lost 800 million tons of ice during the heat waves of June and July. Alaska also saw record sea-ice melt in July.

All that melting exposes more permafrost: frozen soil that releases powerful greenhouse gases when it thaws. That's happening faster than scientists predicted. The release of those gases leads the planet to warm even more, which accelerates more ice melt.

Last month was an anomaly for Greenland, but it could be the new normal by 2070 if humans don't curb greenhouse-gas emissions, according to climate models simulated by Xavier Fettweis, a climate researcher at the University of Liège in Belgium.

"By mid to end of the century is when we should be seeing these melt levels — not right now," Ruth Mottram, a climate scientist at the Danish Meteorological Institute, told Inside Climate News. "[The models] are clearly not able to capture some of these important processes."
Melting ice in Greenland raises sea levels

Greenland's ice melt has already raised sea levels more than 0.5 inches since 1972. Half of that occurred just in the last eight years, according to a study published in April.
Ice melt forms gushing white water in Kangerlussuaq, Greenland on August 1, 2019.tk At this rate, the entire Greenland ice sheet could melt within 1,000 years, causing up to 23 feet of sea level rise.

But Mottram isn't so sure about that projected timeline.

"Somewhere between 1.5 and 2 degrees, there's a tipping point after which it will no longer be possible to maintain the Greenland Ice Sheet," she told Inside Climate News. "What we don't have a handle on is how quickly the Greenland Ice Sheet will be lost."

Greenland's ice is already approaching that tipping point, according to a study published in May. Whereas melting during warm cycles used to get balanced out by new ice forming during cool cycles, warm periods now cause significant meltdown and cool periods simply pause it.
That makes it difficult for the ice sheet to regenerate what it's losing.

all hate and money
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Yoink

action now!

https://www.alternet.org/2019/10/boi...-arctic-ocean/

all hate and money

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:19 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Nah not that concerned, I'll be melting myself by 2070

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Yoink

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
Nah not that concerned, I'll be melting myself by 2070

It's already 2070 or even later. The chickens are coming home to roost.

all hate and money
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:20 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbath9 View Post
It's already 2070 or even later. The chickens are coming home to roost.
Are they still laying eggs?

Good. It's 2070 and I'm dead without having had to die so I don't know I'm still here. Wait. This is not good.

/WYSD
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Yoink

I predict the oceans will die within the next 20 years and emit toxic fumes killing everything on land too (including greedy stupid humans)

https://www.alternet.org/2019/10/stu...e-been-warned/

Quote:
Study confirms fear that intense ocean acidification portends ecological catastrophe: ‘We have been warned’

The acidification of the Earth’s oceans, which climate scientists warn is a dangerous effect of continued carbon emissions, was behind a mass extinction event 66 million years ago, according to a new study.

Small-shelled marine organisms survived the meteorite that struck the Earth and wiped out the dinosaurs, according to researchers at the GFZ geosciences research center in Potsdam, Germany, but the subsequent sharp drop in pH levels in the ocean caused the marine life to go extinct.

“We show ocean acidification can precipitate ecological collapse,” Michael Henehan, who led the study, told The Guardian.

Researchers examined shell fossils in sediment dating back to the time period just after the meteorite struck the planet, which showed that the oceans’ pH dropped by about 0.25 units in the 100 to 1,000 years after the strike.

“In the boundary clay, we managed to capture them just limping on past the asteroid impact,” Henehan said.

But, the newspaper reported, “It was the knock-on effects of acidification and other stresses, such as the ‘nuclear winter’ that followed the impact, that finally drove these foraminifera to extinction.”

“We have been warned,” climate campaigner Ed Matthew tweeted with a link to the research, which was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Climate change is making the oceans more acidic. This vital scientific research shows that it was an acidic ocean following the asteroid strike 65m years ago that caused 75% of ocean life to become extinct. We have been warned https://t.co/PYiE8V2CM3
— Ed Matthew (@Ed_Matthew1) October 21, 2019
Today, climate scientists warn that the continued burning of oil, gas, and coal is causing ocean acidification that, left unchecked, could cause a pH drop of 0.4 units.

If policymakers are able to help limit the warming of the globe to two degrees Celsius by ordering that fossil fuels be left in the ground and shifting to a renewable energy economy, the ocean’s pH level could drop just 0.15 units.

“If 0.25 was enough to precipitate a mass extinction, we should be worried,” Henahan told The Guardian.

As Common Dreams reported in July, MIT researchers also recently turned their attention to ocean acidification as well. The researchers released data showing that today’s carbon levels could be fast approaching a tipping point threshold that could trigger extreme ocean acidification similar to the kind that contributed to the Permian–Triassic mass extinction, which occurred about 250 million years ago.

all hate and money

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page