Science links anxiety to high IQ's & rare psychic gift - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Science links anxiety to high IQ's & rare psychic gift

Found two interesting articles.

Science Links Anxiety To High IQ’s & Sentinel Intelligence, Social Anxiety To Very Rare Psychic Gift

“One research study out of Lakehead University discovered that people with anxiety scored higher on verbal intelligence tests. Another study conducted by the Interdisciplinary Center Herzliya in Israel*found that people with anxiety were superior than other participants at maintaining laser-focus while*overcoming a primary threat as they are*being*bombarded by numerous other smaller threats, thereby significantly increasing their chances of survival. The same research team also discovered that people with anxiety showed signs of “sentinel intelligence”, meaning they were able to detect real threats that were invisible to others (i.e. test participants with anxiety were able to detect the smell of smoke long before others in the group).

Another research study from the*SUNY Downstate Medical Center in New York*involved participants with*generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). The findings revealed that people with severe cases of GAD had much higher IQ’s than those who had more mild cases. The theory is that “an anxious mind is a searching mind,” meaning children with GAD develop higher levels of cognitive ability and diligence because their minds are constantly examining ideas, information, and experiences from multiple angles simultaneously.

But perhaps most fascinating of all is a research study published by the National Institutes of Health and the*National Center for Biotechnology Information*involving participants with social anxiety disorder (i.e. social phobia). The researchers embarked on their study with the following thesis: “Individuals with social phobia (SP) show sensitivity and attentiveness to other people’s states of mind. Although cognitive processes in SP have been extensively studied, these individuals’ social cognition characteristics have never been examined before. We hypothesized that high-socially-anxious individuals (HSA) may exhibit elevated mentalizing and empathic abilities.” The research*methods were as follows: “Empathy was assessed using self-rating scales in HSA individuals (n=21) and low-socially-anxious (LSA) individuals (n=22), based on their score on the Liebowitz social anxiety scale. A computerized task was used to assess the ability to judge first and second order affective vs. cognitive mental state attributions.”

Remarkably, the scientists found that a large portion of people with social anxiety disorder are gifted*empaths*— people whose right-brains are operating significantly above normal levels and are able to perceive the physical sensitivities, spiritual urges, motivations, and intentions of other people around them (see Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor’s TED Talk below for a powerful explanation of this ability). The team’s conclusion reads: “Results support the hypothesis that high-socially-anxious individuals demonstrate a unique profile of social-cognitive abilities with elevated cognitive empathy tendencies and high accuracy in affective mental state attributions.” To understand more about the traits of an empath you can*CLICK HERE. And to see if you align with the 22 most common traits of an empath*CLICK HERE.

Empaths who have fully embraced their abilities*are able to function on a purely intuition-based level. As Steve Jobs once said, “[Intuition] is more powerful than intellect,” and in keeping with this appreciation, writer Carolyn Gregoire recently*penned*a fascinating feature entitled “10 Things Highly Intuitive People Do Differently” and you can read it in full by visiting*HuffingtonPost.com."

http://www.feelguide.com/2015/04/22/...-psychic-gift/

Second article about empaths:
http://liveboldandbloom.com/08/self-...nsitive-person

Your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 03:01 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Interesting articles, makes a lot of sense. Thanks for posting.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
Interesting articles, makes a lot of sense. Thanks for posting.
No problem! Yeah, it makes a lot of sense to me too. And there's science to back it up

If you're interested, I found this empath faceook page:https://www.facebook.com/EmpathLifestyle
The stuff on there looks fascinating/encouraging.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 06:04 AM
Aimery Aleah Aleu

I freaking knew it. I am one with the spiritual world. It has been confirmed.

I am Aimery, I am Aimery.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 10:12 AM
I'm done for a while.

It does make sense. An anxious mind is a thinking mind (careful about the border to paranoia, though).

The part about emphathy is especially true. When you know how bad it feels to be depressed, anxious, it makes it easier to spot a person in a similar situation and go down to his/her dark place.

Error, no keyboard. Press F1 to continue.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 06:01 PM
Poorly tuned

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianNC View Post
It does make sense. An anxious mind is a thinking mind (careful about the border to paranoia, though).
Like there's any such thing as paranoia when you're sharing the planet with 7 billion humans.

/WYSD
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimery Aleah Aleu 25 View Post
I freaking knew it. I am one with the spiritual world. It has been confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianNC View Post

The part about emphathy is especially true. When you know how bad it feels to be depressed, anxious, it makes it easier to spot a person in a similar situation and go down to his/her dark place.
Oh, I agree on your two points. My mind is always thinking and thinking. Wish it could stop sometimes, lol. Especially when I'm trying to sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmotionlessThug View Post
It's not a psychic ability, it surpasses clairvoyant.
Oh, I didn't know those things about you.

Well, I don't think it's a psychic ability but just an ability of the human body. The high IQ ppl are ppl with GAD.

The SA ppl are this:

"Remarkably, the scientists found that a large portion of people with social anxiety disorder are gifted*empaths*— people whose right-brains are operating significantly above normal levels and are able to perceive the physical sensitivities, spiritual urges, motivations, and intentions of other people around them"

"Individuals with social phobia (SP) show sensitivity and attentiveness to other people’s states of mind."
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 07:18 PM

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspell View Post

Oh, I agree on your two points. My mind is always thinking and thinking. Wish it could stop sometimes, lol. Especially when I'm trying to sleep.

Oh, I didn't know those things about you.

Well, I don't think it's a psychic ability but just an ability of the human body. The high IQ ppl are ppl with GAD.

The SA ppl are this:

"Remarkably, the scientists found that a large portion of people with social anxiety disorder are gifted*empaths*— people whose right-brains are operating significantly above normal levels and are able to perceive the physical sensitivities, spiritual urges, motivations, and intentions of other people around them"

"Individuals with social phobia (SP) show sensitivity and attentiveness to other people’s states of mind."

I'm just f_____ around, bruh.

Multi-Agent Quantum AI Computers managing humanity 24/7 using Quantum Cryptography Satellites to run a thought interval to generate cryptographic keys to refresh key information into thoughts to channel the communication 24/7.

High Authority NSA Software Engineers "We feed the Supercomputers knowledge on how to manage citizens sleep, sex, accicident, dream, health, brain, interaction, job, education, lottery, living condition, murder, death throughout the day each day."
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:19 AM
SAS Member

Wow, very interesting.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:29 AM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

Quote:
But perhaps most fascinating of all is a research study published by the National Institutes of Health and the*National Center for Biotechnology Information*involving participants with social anxiety disorder (i.e. social phobia). The researchers embarked on their study with the following thesis: “Individuals with social phobia (SP) show sensitivity and attentiveness to other people’s states of mind.
I've been trying to overcome my tendency to empathise with others and become more narcissistic. It seems like it's reducing my anxiety in some cases.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:35 AM
ghostly

yes I'm a psychic genius

believe in urself
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:47 AM
Permanently Banned

Language: American
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maslow View Post
I've been trying to overcome my tendency to empathise with others and become more narcissistic..
Oh you are doing great in that area.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 12:02 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
dont belive this just an excuse for you people to feel better about yourselves. anyone can be smart
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 01:04 PM
Winter Is Here

My Mood: Drunk
I've always understood that individuals in the autistic spectrum develop their logical intelligence, thanks to their long periods of loneliness. But this obviously doesn't mean that SA people should start getting edgy and arrogant if they don't want to have a bad time. They should just understand that their IQ is a tool and the world is highly competitive.

When one person suffers from a delusion it's called insanity.
When many people suffer from a delusion it's called a Religion.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page