Random Science Thought/Fact of the Day - Page 5 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #81 of 83 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 04:19 AM
'functioning' psycho

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
we're bravely, but in a quarrelsome and merely verbal fashion, pursuing the principle that natures that aren't the same must follow different ways of life. but when we assigned different ways of life to different natures and the same ones to the same, we didn't at all examine the form of natural difference and sameness we had in mind or in what regard we are distinguishing them.

No, we didn't look into that.

Therefore, we might just as well, it seems, ask ourselves where the natures of bald and long-haired men are the same or opposite. And, when we agree that they are opposite, then, if the bald ones are cobblers, we ought to forbid the long-haired ones to be cobblers, and if the long-haired ones are cobblers, we ought to forbid this to the bald ones.

That would indeed be ridiculous.

And aren't we in this ridiculous position because, at that time we did not introduce every form of difference and sameness in nature, but focused on the one form of sameness and difference that was relevant to the particular ways of life themselves? We meant, for example, that a male and female doctor have souls of the same nature. Or don't you think so?

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
The teeth have long departed
Yet the desire burns strong
On in desire for destruction
One on which she'll depend
One that ceases to deepen
Too near bitter end

Black through the mountains
She turns her loosening ring
Guardian angel sings
"I think you've lost your wings, but you're still yours
You're still yours, you're still yours"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 83 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM
Dogra Magra

Language: 中国語
Karen Horney (Neurosis and Human Growth) seems to warn about the mental trap of Descarte's "I think, therefore I am". Same with Yumeno Kyūsaku's novel Dogra Magra, although here it comes in the form of an unreliable character narration so validity is thrown into question. In some way this reminds me of Virginia Woolf's "sane truth and insane truth", that perhaps the boundary between objective truth/reality vs. fantasy exists perpendicular to instead of overlapping with the distinction between (what we perceive to be) sanity and insanity. I will be able to formulate more detailed thoughts after finishing her book, but this was an interesting point of consideration.
post #83 of 83 (permalink) Old Today, 12:05 PM
Trailer Trash Tranny

My Mood: Brooding
Omg. Dying.

Old gas blob from Uranus found in vintage Voyager 2 data

Quote:
Buried inside data that NASA's iconic Voyager 2 spacecraft gathered at Uranus more than 30 years ago is the signature of a massive bubble that may have stolen a blob of the planet's gassy atmosphere.
Low-hanging science reporting fart joke fruit, but I'm a cheap date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad baby View Post
Karen Horney (Neurosis and Human Growth) seems to warn about the mental trap of Descarte's "I think, therefore I am". Same with Yumeno Kyūsaku's novel Dogra Magra, although here it comes in the form of an unreliable character narration so validity is thrown into question. In some way this reminds me of Virginia Woolf's "sane truth and insane truth", that perhaps the boundary between objective truth/reality vs. fantasy exists perpendicular to instead of overlapping with the distinction between (what we perceive to be) sanity and insanity. I will be able to formulate more detailed thoughts after finishing her book, but this was an interesting point of consideration.
I haven't read that yet, though I own it. I've read some of her other stuff. It's sort of amazing how much saner Horney is than Freud, even though she's working in the same tradition. It's like she's only reluctantly Freudian, because there were no other options.

I have many thoughts about the distinction between sanity and insanity myself. If you ever formulate those thoughts, I'd love to read them.

The only thing better than money is more money.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page