Random Science Thought/Fact of the Day - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 107 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
User Requested Permanent Ban

Random Science Thought/Fact of the Day

I had nowhere to put this, but theres plenty of science facts you guys can probably share

anyway. I ****ing love looking at the moon and this video just encompassed how awesome it is lol. Like I dont care about full moons, or when theres an optical illusion and the moon looks big. But I'm always amazed the moon exists and its just a..ball of dirt in fricken space

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 09:21 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
The Earth's axis is tilted at 66.5°

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #3 of 107 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 03:55 AM
SAS Member

I've got Jurassic Park on the brain so here's one, you might already know it though:

The Velociraptors in Jurassic Park aren't actually velociraptors at all. Velociraptors were much smaller and thought to be feathered:

The raptors in the movie more resemble Deinonychus, who the creators have admitted they were based on:

Also the Dilophosaurus was much too small. In reality it wouldn't have fit in the car with Nedry, though they've said they reduced the size so it wouldn't overshadow the T-Rex. There's also no evidence of it having a frill or spitting venom:

I still love the movies though, accurate or not.

post #4 of 107 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilweedle View Post
Also the Dilophosaurus was much too small. In reality it wouldn't have fit in the car with Nedry, though they've said they reduced the size so it wouldn't overshadow the T-Rex. There's also no evidence of it having a frill or spitting venom:

whaaat. i feel like i was lied to. my entire childhood is a sham

I'm a little surprised the raptors didnt have any feathers since that fact came out a longgg time ago. they had quills er something in JP3 so who knows what the thought process was.

----------------------

One question I can't really think through is about the twin paradox and how going close to the speed of light, time slows down for the person traveling. So if someone travels near the speed of light for a year and comes back, it's been a year to them and like 80 years to people on earth. So to the people on earth, are they traveling slowly that it takes them 80 years to travel at the speed of light for a year? Just doesnt make sense since the speed of light is fast as hell..so why would they be moving slowly
post #5 of 107 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

because the moon slows down the earth's rotation fractionally, there's a leap second tonight

http://astronomynow.com/2015/06/30/n...ra-leapsecond/
post #6 of 107 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

venus and jupiter are visible in the sky tonight. but i've yet to figure out where the **** to look lol. websites need to be clearer

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...630-story.html

i think i missed it
post #7 of 107 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 11:53 PM
stay alone

whats the pyramid on that moon guys
post #8 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 09:36 PM
SAS Member

Three Gorges Dam is the world's largest power station.

Installed Capacity of 22,500 MW
post #9 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 10:17 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by identificationunknown View Post
Three Gorges Dam is the world's largest power station.

Installed Capacity of 22,500 MW
Also is speculated to be the longest lasting source of man-generated electricity in a post apocalyptic world. That dam could be powering for hundreds of years after we're gone.
post #10 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 11:22 PM
NE2
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipFuj View Post
venus and jupiter are visible in the sky tonight. but i've yet to figure out where the **** to look lol. websites need to be clearer
Awesome program for locating stuff and figuring out what you just saw: http://www.stellarium.org/
post #11 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 11:23 PM
NE2
Permanently Banned

If faster than light travel is available in all inertial frames of reference, so is backwards time travel.
post #12 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 12:22 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentoes View Post
Also is speculated to be the longest lasting source of man-generated electricity in a post apocalyptic world. That dam could be powering for hundreds of years after we're gone.
Damn that sounds good..

But i can't really find any info on design life tho on the net anyway..
post #13 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 07:42 PM
SAS Member

World's population is increasing exponentially and by 2050 it is expected to reach 9 billion.
post #14 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 03:00 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipFuj View Post
whaaat. i feel like i was lied to. my entire childhood is a sham

I'm a little surprised the raptors didnt have any feathers since that fact came out a longgg time ago. they had quills er something in JP3 so who knows what the thought process was.
They sort of acknowledged that in Jurassic World. There's a line where someone says the dinosaurs don't necessarily look like they normally would because of genetic modification (like the frog dna that let them change gender in the first film). They went all-out with the idea when they designed the Indominus Rex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by identificationunknown View Post
World's population is increasing exponentially and by 2050 it is expected to reach 9 billion.
Bleh, they need to crack down on that before it becomes a bigger problem. Educate people and make birth control more available.
post #15 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 04:18 PM
Permanently Banned

Can we request science facts? I'd like to know why lightbulbs always blow out when you turn them on, and so rarely blow out while just being left on.
post #16 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 06:12 PM
A Mountain With Wings

The planet PSR J1719-1438b orbit around it's pulsar so fast that it completes it in 2 earth hours. From the start of our year until today, around 2196 years have past there. It is also thought to be made of mostly diamond due to the carbon at it's core crystallizing. The pulsar itself with a diameter of only 12 miles, can make 10k rotations per minute.

Painting moments with words never been
I stay patient
post #17 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 08:09 PM
Ad Multos Annos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallyalone View Post
Can we request science facts? I'd like to know why lightbulbs always blow out when you turn them on, and so rarely blow out while just being left on.
Fun fact: "There is a lamp in a Livermore fire station that was originally turned on around 1905 then given to the fire station in 1973.*It’s called the Centennial lamp, and it's so famous that they have even set up a web cam at*so people can*log on*to see that it's still on."

Http://www.centennialbulb.org/cam.htm

˝Girls can wear jeans, cut their hair short, wear shirts and boots, 'cause it's okay to be a boy, but for a boy to look like a girl is degrading.˝ーͥ͑̄͊ͣͭ̌̏҉͏̴͇̬͇̳͈͓̲̩̖͈̭͎̼͔͓̠͞ͅÇ̨ͣ͌̐̉̋̔̏̅̐ͫͦͯ̏̀҉̨͚͎ ͎̪̥̪̱̜͙̭harlotte Gainsbourg

˝ وَمــاَ خَفُيــﮯَ گـــَانَ أَعْظَــمْـ ˝

˝Castigat Ridendo ℳores.˝

˝A Diabolo, Qui Est Simia Dei.˝˝Chacun Voit Midi À Sa Porte.˝

˝The most unpleasant feeling a man could ever experience is the morbid desire for the unreachable.˝—Perspicacious
post #18 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 08:20 PM
NE2
Permanently Banned

Quote:
http://io9.com/5628229/why-do-light-...eyre-turned-on
post #19 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 09:39 AM
SAS Member

The world-average ecological footprint in 2007 was 2.7 global hectares per person (18.0 billion in total). With a world-average biocapacity of 1.8 global hectares per person (12 billion in total), this leads to an ecological deficit of 0.9 global hectares per person (6 billion in total).
post #20 of 107 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 10:09 AM
Seriously , never serious

Quote:

They blow because
In an lamp there is a filament which is just a piece of wire with high resistance so when current flows through it it heats up and glows . After a while this fliiament gets brittle and the inrush of current is to much for it to handle and blows .
Like when you turn a tap on full and the water rushes down the hose pipe that hose pipe moves a little , well that water is current and that hose pipe is the filament and that movement is enough to break a brittle bit of hard wire

Science thought . Not fact
Where is a hover board why haven't science invented a overboard yet , come on God damit .

. WTF is wrong with me

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page