SAS Member

Language: English
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:08 AM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I posted this in the general discussion quote thread before remembering this thread:

Quote:
Sample 4 also included feeling thermometer ratings of frogs and robots. Although robots and frogs are not the typical targets of prejudice, their inclusion allows us to examine whether Agreeableness was associated with negative interpersonal or intergroup attitudes specifically,
Quote:
In Sample 4, Agreeableness was unrelated to “prejudice” ratings of frogs, r(480) = .04, p = .462, and was weakly and positively related to “prejudice” ratings of robots, r(483) = .09, p = .041 (this weak positive relationship is opposite of what one would expect if low Agreeableness is associated with a general negativity bias).
https://sci-hub.se/10.1177/0146167219832335

I don't know why the frog thing just makes me laugh. Kekistanis will be happy.

Are cats liquid?

Quote:
Historically, the popular distinction between states of matter has been made based on qualitative differences in bulk properties. Solid is the state in which matter maintains a fixed volume and shape; liquid is the state in which matter maintains a fixed volume but adapts to the shape of its container; and gas is the state in which matter expands to occupy whatever volume is available. Following these common sense definitions, a meta-study untitled “Cats are liquids” was recently published on boredpanda.com. I propose here to check if the panda’s claim that the cats are liquid is solid, by using the tools of modern rheology.
https://www.drgoulu.com/wp-content/u...gy-of-cats.pdf

Some people heard my words and thought it meant they knew me
Truth is, I don't exist, I'm just a soundtrack to your movie
Some background figure in a story that's already scripted
And what I feel's just felt for you to hear me ****ing spit it
I jump in many different heads through these words and poems
Always hoping maybe the next leap'll be my leap home

post #63 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 03:36 PM
SAS Member

Language: too few
My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunarchist View Post
If an act isn't immoral, it shouldn't be illegal.
I agree, but what about the opposite? I think adultery is immoral, but I don’t think it should be illegal. It oughta be a legally recognized ground for divorce, but that isn’t the same as being criminal. Am I being inconsistent for thinking this way?

post #64 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:59 AM
SAS Member

reposting this from my tumblr

Here are two competing views on the topic of essence in mathematics. I think Aristotle would argue that whenever we ask what something is, we’re interested in its essence.

Timothy Gowers:

emphasis on the last paragraph:

Adolf Reinach:

Summary of his lecture:

I think this might be one of the problems people have with mathematics - they really want to know “what” they’re dealing with but don’t get those answers. “It is the pride of mathematicians not to know - in its material essence - that of which they speak”.

When I first read Gowers’ “Very Short Introduction” to Mathematics I was disappointed with how he just gave the algorithm for getting logarithms and purposely didn’t explain ‘what’ a logarithm actually is I feel like a got a better understanding of that when I googled it and found a short definition. :/
post #65 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:17 PM
SAS Member

post #66 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:01 AM
Permanently Banned

Language: Bad English
My Mood: Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barakiel View Post
No, thanks. I'd rather stick to books because there's much more interesting stuff in them. This is for kids who hate philosophy and can't wait to finish the class.
post #67 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:27 AM
SAS Member

Language: Anglais
We make out of the quarrel with others, rhetoric, but of the quarrel with ourselves, poetry. - W.B. Yeats
post #68 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:38 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Popper
“It is important to realize that science does not make assertions about ultimate questions – about the riddles of existence, or about man’s task in the world. This has often been well understood. But some great scientists, and many lesser ones, have misunderstood the situation. The fact that science cannot make any pronouncement about ethical principles has been misinterpreted as indicating that there are no such principles while in fact the search for truth presupposes ethics.” (Karl Popper, Dialectica 32: 342)
Hilary Putnam makes the point that science presupposes epistemic values like clarity, relative simplicity, explanatory power, etc. I'm not sure about morality unless Popper is using 'ethics' in a broad sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Nussbaum
One sentence in Leviticus condemns some (male) homosexual acts. Hundreds of sentences in both Testaments condemn greed. And yet we do not hear that the greedy, or those who perform greedy acts, are an infestation in our community, that they are subverting our cherished values, and that a compelling interest in public morality leads us to deny them equal civil rights.
— Martha Nussbaum, Hiding from Humanity
post #69 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 05:06 PM
SAS Member

On holding on to anger:

“…By doing this you are like a man who wants to hit another and picks up a burning ember or excrement in his hand and so first burns himself or makes himself stink.”
Buddhaghosa, Visuddhimagga IX, 23

I want to try keeping this in mind from now on, I have a bad habit of getting burnt and stinky tbh.
post #70 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 06:36 PM
SAS Member

Peter Hacker and Maxwell Bennett on Aristotle, the soul, and modern neuroscience:

David Woodruff Smith on how Husserl's ontology unites our physical, conscious, and cultural selves:

post #71 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 09:42 AM
SAS Member

T.L. Short, Peirce’s Theory of Signs:

post #72 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 01:15 PM
SAS Member

"My book is dedicated to Thomas Prufer because so much of it is a record of my conversation with him. His suggestions about details have removed blemishes, satisfied some deficiencies, and improved expression; the thoughts that support the book I have learned from or with him. As the Philosopher says, 'with friends men are more able to think and to act.'"

Just about every philosopher I've read recently credits casual conversation with people like this, it's one of the many things that I find inspiring yet makes me loathe my social isolation all the more.
post #73 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 10:28 AM
SAS Member

Erwin Straus about 50 years ago -

Quote:
The physiology of the brain…ignores the possessive-relationship; it replaces-generally without giving an account of it-my, your, or his [her] brain with a or with the brain…the reference to the possessive relationship may not be dismissed as a sentimental claim…the elimination of the possessive relationship distorts the phenomena, narrows down the problem area, and thus tacitly anticipates a theoretical judgment. If my, your, or his [her] brain is replaced by the brain, then the brain is generally viewed not as an organ of an experiencing being, but rather as a steering apparatus of a movable body…In every anatomical and physiological observation of the brain, two brains are involved: the brain of the observer and the observed brain. The elimination of the possessive relationship compels one to ignore this fundamental fact…The violence in the way behavior has been treated finds a necessary compensation in an anthropomorphic interpretation of the brain [e.g., the unacceptable term “the schizophrenic brain” is surely a scientific category error with consequences involving imprecise, reductionistic trends]. One grants less to behavior than is due to it, and gives the brain more than belongs to it.
oof.
post #74 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 05:54 AM
SAS Member

Language: English

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page