Does the past exist? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed

Does the past exist?

Not asking if the past happened. I'm asking if it exists. What do you think? What do you know? Do you have good links on this topic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:26 AM

Language: English
Yes.

A digital video recorder can emulate time and events, and we can watch them because the recorder detects it still active.

Multi-Agent Quantum AI Computers managing humanity 24/7 using Quantum Cryptography Satellites to run a thought interval to generate cryptographic keys to refresh key information into thoughts to channel the communication 24/7.

High Authority NSA Software Engineers "We feed the Supercomputers knowledge on how to manage citizens sleep, sex, accicident, dream, health, interaction, job, education, lottery, living condition, murder, suicide & terrorism throughout the day each day."
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:09 AM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
I see time as the field in which objects move that means that the present, past and future are all happening in the present moment and are places we can go to. It's interesting that tomorrow only happens because of the movement of objects in space, we only get old because of the movement of particles in our body and all this happens now, in the present moment. Just like tomorrow can only happen in the present moment and just like yesterday happened in the present moment. That's the illusion of time, most of us are trapped in the psychological sense of time, having constant unnecessary thoughts about the past and present that bring us distress.
How to travel to the past? It can be done with technology like a spaceship capable of inter dimensional travel. It's not uncommon with UFO contactees that have done hypnosis to tell stories of people from the future visiting them in the UFO.s they encounter. There was a good documentary of a New Zealand guy who filmed many of his UFO sightings and told that story when under hypnosis. Remote viewing is another way this can be done, Russell Targ worked on remote viewing projects with the CIA and he talks about being able to travel to the future.

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingr...000500410001-3

Deja vu is basically when we experience the future that we traveled to in our sleep. A lot of people astral travel in their sleep without knowing it. For me, most of the time when I have deja vu I remember when I dreamed about it, it could have been anywhere from a couple of days ago to a few years ago. A few times I even woke up from a dream and wondered if it will happen and then one day it does, just like the dream to the smallest detail. Sometimes it just feels like I'm living in the past, present and future.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:03 AM

This is one of those trick question that require deep thinking. LOL

The Past exist in our mind. It is called memories. To remember. Even looking at an old object of the past is memory. Physically the object is just a dead carcass or something that came to an end. That is it. But when you reflect of it's former life or life moments {Past} you are tapping into that memory which is in your mind.

A tough question indeed. LOL
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:27 AM
Permanently Banned

No.

It is always here now.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:03 AM

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Spirit View Post
This is one of those trick question that require deep thinking. LOL

The Past exist in our mind. It is called memories. To remember. Even looking at an old object of the past is memory. Physically the object is just a dead carcass or something that came to an end. That is it. But when you reflect of it's former life or life moments {Past} you are tapping into that memory which is in your mind.

A tough question indeed. LOL

A video recorder can tap into active time, where it's able to detect the existing images within the time period, the recorder is capable of memorizing scenes where a human does not have that privilege due to restrictions. The human memories are not able to tap into active time and events to detail images, because someone removed the feature. When the human being can tap into the active time and events to detail the images that they've perceived while being at the time and events to emulate, that is memory.

This YouTube video of 1911 was recorded from a device, and the device itself can't deny that 1911 does not exist as a past to make the viewers observe the actions that are active in 1911. The video can play the scenes of 1911, because the device was there to emulate the existing time and events that it perceived.

The recording device demonstrates Quantum Mechanics and Quantum itself is not only about energy, it's about what can be emulated and who have a copy of the emulation running on a software machine as for source code.

Multi-Agent Quantum AI Computers managing humanity 24/7 using Quantum Cryptography Satellites to run a thought interval to generate cryptographic keys to refresh key information into thoughts to channel the communication 24/7.

High Authority NSA Software Engineers "We feed the Supercomputers knowledge on how to manage citizens sleep, sex, accicident, dream, health, interaction, job, education, lottery, living condition, murder, suicide & terrorism throughout the day each day."
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:07 AM
Great White Shark

Language: Galactic Basic, machine language
This really depends on the model used.

In physics, we currently believe that time is one of the 4 dimensions in the structure of our space, and there the past exists as much as the present and the future. We just glide through time, one moment at a time, but the moments we have passed already do not disappear, they just get further and further away from us.

From the solipsist perspective, only the present exists, as that s the only moment we can observe at present. Such position is also very helpful psychologically: once you realize that the past and the future exist only in your brain and not in the actual realty, and hence are imaginary, you become much freer from worry and rumination, as you understand that they happen over imaginary cinstructs and, hence, are irrelevant.
It is worth noting, however, that our brain lags behind the reality due to the time delay caused by signals reaching the brain. Strictly speaking, what we observe is not the present, but, rather, a very close past. Think about streaming a video with a 1 m lag; then, if the video is clicked at 8:00, you will only start watching it at 8:01, and every scene will be shown 1 minute after the same scene comes up on the source device. The brain “lag” is much smaller, but it is not zero, so, strictly speaking, we’re always living in the past. And if it doesn’t exist, then we essentially are living in an illusion.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:41 AM
I'm not OK (I promise)

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Haha I have an excuse to post this eccentricity:

http://www.reinventinghorizons.org/?p=301

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

Call me morbid, call me pale
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:06 PM
untitled document

Language: None
No, but it used to. That's the only grammatically correct answer, regardless of eternalism vs. presentism.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:34 PM
The Meditator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowweaver View Post
This really depends on the model used.

In physics, we currently believe that time is one of the 4 dimensions in the structure of our space, and there the past exists as much as the present and the future. We just glide through time, one moment at a time, but the moments we have passed already do not disappear, they just get further and further away from us.

From the solipsist perspective, only the present exists, as that s the only moment we can observe at present. Such position is also very helpful psychologically: once you realize that the past and the future exist only in your brain and not in the actual realty, and hence are imaginary, you become much freer from worry and rumination, as you understand that they happen over imaginary cinstructs and, hence, are irrelevant.

It is worth noting, however, that our brain lags behind the reality due to the time delay caused by signals reaching the brain. Strictly speaking, what we observe is not the present, but, rather, a very close past. Think about streaming a video with a 1 m lag; then, if the video is clicked at 8:00, you will only start watching it at 8:01, and every scene will be shown 1 minute after the same scene comes up on the source device. The brain “lag” is much smaller, but it is not zero, so, strictly speaking, we’re always living in the past. And if it doesn’t exist, then we essentially are living in an illusion.
The brain lag doesn't mean we're living in the past lol, we're still living and experiencing the present because that's what we experience in the present moment.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Flying Backwards

Actually, I read somewhere that dogs "see" the world in slow motion (but apparently hear it normal speed). That would be really odd.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:21 PM
Broke boy

I see dead stars..
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:30 PM
Great White Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchness View Post
The brain lag doesn't mean we're living in the past lol, we're still living and experiencing the present because that's what we experience in the present moment.
It is not present though, since, by the time the signals reach our brain, the reality around us has changed. The practical consequence of it is that there is a natural limit for our reaction time, and in extreme cases that may lead us to making wrong choices.

Regardless, the effect is tiny. For nearly all practical purposes we can assume that what we see is the present.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:37 PM
The Meditator

Quote:
It is not present though, since, by the time the signals reach our brain, the reality around us has changed. The practical consequence of it is that there is a natural limit for our reaction time, and in extreme cases that may lead us to making wrong choices.

Regardless, the effect is tiny. For nearly all practical purposes we can assume that what we see is the present.
Nah lol, even if the brain lag was 10 seconds we would still be experiencing the present because that's what we're experiencing in the present moment lol. Not sure if you can wrap your mind around that but we can only ever experience the moment.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:40 PM
Great White Shark

Quote:
Nah lol, even if the brain lag was 10 seconds we would still be experiencing the present because that's what we're experiencing in the present moment lol. Not sure if you can wrap your mind around that but we can only ever experience the moment.
Our experience is in the present moment, but what we experience is not.

Suppose you record a video and watch it tomorrow. You will be watching it at present, but what it is you see will be from yesterday. It's the same here, the way I see it.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:57 PM
The Meditator

Quote:
Our experience is in the present moment, but what we experience is not.

Suppose you record a video and watch it tomorrow. You will be watching it at present, but what it is you see will be from yesterday. It's the same here, the way I see it.
The video tape isn't conscious of itself but you are or can be more conscious of yourself. If you were able to travel into the past or future you would still be experiencing the present moment. If you were hallucinating from a drug or you were mentally disabled and the time it took for you to process things was considerably longer than everyone else you would still be experiencing the present moment. It's not like we're catching up to it because the present moment is ways there.

You meditate right? Next time you meditate connect to the present moment, really experience it and know it, might give you more of an insight. I know it's not scientific but you don't need a double blind study for everything when you have your own two eyes.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:32 PM
Great White Shark

Quote:
The video tape isn't conscious of itself but you are or can be more conscious of yourself. If you were able to travel into the past or future you would still be experiencing the present moment. If you were hallucinating from a drug or you were mentally disabled and the time it took for you to process things was considerably longer than everyone else you would still be experiencing the present moment. It's not like we're catching up to it because the present moment is ways there.

You meditate right? Next time you meditate connect to the present moment, really experience it and know it, might give you more of an insight. I know it's not scientific but you don't need a double blind study for everything when you have your own two eyes.
The point is, the actual present moment is always a bit ahead of your perceptions. You could say, I suppose, that this is "your" present moment, which is different from the "objective" present moment, but that seems like a wordplay to me.

I do meditate every now and then, but I also realise that "present" is a metaphor. I can be in the present in the sense that I ignore the mental jitter and focus on what's around me, but I also realise that what I see is actually how things were a few moments in the past, rather than how they are at the very moment I'm observing them.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Flying Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForestWasDark View Post
I see dead stars..
We all do. Actually, I hardly ever see stars anymore (except when I bang my head against something). The weather and light pollution where i live is just that crappy. The moon and Jupiter are about the only things I ever see.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:21 PM
Broke boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
We all do. Actually, I hardly ever see stars anymore (except when I bang my head against something). The weather and light pollution where i live is just that crappy. The moon and Jupiter are about the only things I ever see.
ah, they are kinda cool when out for a stroll..I've been seeing a lot lately. Saw a shooting one like 3 years ago when on the porch for a 3am cigarette.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:09 AM
The Meditator

Quote:
The point is, the actual present moment is always a bit ahead of your perceptions. You could say, I suppose, that this is "your" present moment, which is different from the "objective" present moment, but that seems like a wordplay to me.

I do meditate every now and then, but I also realise that "present" is a metaphor. I can be in the present in the sense that I ignore the mental jitter and focus on what's around me, but I also realise that what I see is actually how things were a few moments in the past, rather than how they are at the very moment I'm observing them.
It's the same present moment because we don't need our body to be conscious, just like how we can be conscious when out of body. We're always conscious so the lag is just a part of what we're experiencing in the present. It's more of a play on perception than our ultimate reality.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page