Do you think life will be discovered onnother planet in your lifetime? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English

Do you think life will be discovered onnother planet in your lifetime?

Do you think life will be discovered on another planet in your lifetime? By life I don't even mean it has to be intelligent life. Just some fungus growing on a rock or some bacteria qualifies as life.

Ive read that Jupitor's moon Europa is one of the most likely locations in the Solar System for potential habitability. Life could exist in its under-ice ocean, perhaps in an environment similar to Earth's deep-ocean hydrothermal vents.

Im 42 years young so not sure im going to make it long enough to find out but who knows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 11:12 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Oh there's life out there but It doesn't need us to discover it for it to exist, it's better off without us, we'll probably find a way to exploit & destroy it.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

New Discovery on this subject. First potentially habitable Earth-size planet discovered by TESS mission, and it's nearby

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...rby/ar-BBYGj7T

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 08:04 AM
nugatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
Oh there's life out there but It doesn't need us to discover it for it to exist, it's better off without us, we'll probably find a way to exploit & destroy it.
This.

Now I'm Nothing
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 10:20 AM
alien monk

no. there will be other things discovered. expecting one thing or the other just shows the limits of our imagination. of course we have a tendency to understand things in terms of things we already know, so there might be something they call life which is entirely different.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 11:03 AM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語

I was really rooting for these guys to find the aliens:

If a hundred weebs can't stand outside a gate with three guards and a dog and find the aliens I don't know what to say. It's hopeless guys.

Some people heard my words and thought it meant they knew me
Truth is, I don't exist, I'm just a soundtrack to your movie
Some background figure in a story that's already scripted
And what I feel's just felt for you to hear me ****ing spit it
I jump in many different heads through these words and poems
Always hoping maybe the next leap'll be my leap home

post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 03:00 PM
⚾🚀📝📸🎬💾🎲⛰🍪💡

Language: None
Yes, we'll have the technology to fairly conclusively discover life on exoplanets in 10 or 20 years. There will be debate over the atmospheric signatures, but in time alternate theories can be eliminated. Intelligent/technological life will take longer, but perhaps in my lifetime if I live long enough we'll be able to image the night side of a nearby exoplanet well enough to detect city lights (not as a photograph, but simply detect that the night side is x% brighter than it naturally would be).

All the life in our own solar system -- and there are at least a half dozen moons that could contain abundant life -- may be more difficult to prove, unless we can catch it in plumes. The technology to tunnel through 50 miles of rock-hard ice to put a submarine into the oceans is centuries away... we can barely tunnel a mile down on Earth with huge industries devoted to it. Intelligent life in our solar system is entirely plausible, but none of it will be technological, it'll be more like dolphins.

The best chance in our solar system to find life in the near term is Mars, because it might have life quite close to the surface. Not on the surface, but possibly just a few meters below where we won't have much trouble finding it.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 04:38 PM

Language: American English, some Spanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
New Discovery on this subject. First potentially habitable Earth-size planet discovered by TESS mission, and it's nearby

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...rby/ar-BBYGj7T
We need to colonize it ASAP!
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 03:22 AM
Temporarily Banned

No.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 07:57 AM
YAS Member

No, and I think it's a waste of money trying.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 08:18 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
Yes

probably just some microbes on mars or one of the moons of Saturn .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -- - -- -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - - -- - -- - -- - - -- -- - -- - --
I really had bad days I felt like am alone but it was once worse. I think am making progress and finding my smile back.
What am currently on:
Online Anxiety Help
The link is audios,videos and by that Irish guy Barry McDonagh(one of my favorite Social Anxiety authors ). Sharing is caring.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHouse View Post
Yes

probably just some microbes on mars or one of the moons of Saturn .
That is my thought. Life will be discovered but it will be bacterical life
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 09:14 PM
Socializing with myself

Life discovered outside of digital existence?

Multi-Agent Quantum AI Computers governing citizens 24/7 using Quantum Cryptography Satellites to run a thought interval to generate cryptographic keys to refresh key information into thoughts to channel the communication 24/7.

NSA Software Engineers & NASA computationally remapping buildings, jobs, relationships, wealth, education, and income using bio intelligence system to manage citizens time & events. Getting away with airplane crashes, accidents, diseases, homelessness, and suicides.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 01:38 PM
Social experimenter

Not in the next couple of centuries...we still haven't fully explored the ocean even! But yea maybe before then ai will out-evolve us into a different type of life and that will become reality, like @EmotionlessThug said.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 02:10 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Well, there are a lot of variables that make it unlikely. Mostly due to distances and speed. Even at the speed of light you would have to assume that aliens would be doing the right kind of activity to be detected at exactly the right point in time for the signals to reach earth and be detectable. Example would be that the light you see from the closest stars has already been traveling for several years and therefore, you're seeing the star as it was several years ago.

So some of the stars they're looking at are thousands of light years away. Humans didn't even have screwdrivers when the light we see left those stars.

I think it is unlikely.

As far as I know they have not even done a direct observation of ANY planet outside our solar system. They are guessing. Pretty feeble.

/WYSD
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Well, there are a lot of variables that make it unlikely. Mostly due to distances and speed. Even at the speed of light you would have to assume that aliens would be doing the right kind of activity to be detected at exactly the right point in time for the signals to reach earth and be detectable. Example would be that the light you see from the closest stars has already been traveling for several years and therefore, you're seeing the star as it was several years ago.

So some of the stars they're looking at are thousands of light years away. Humans didn't even have screwdrivers when the light we see left those stars.
I agree the distance makes it pretty much impossible with our current technology to detect life outside our solar system. Like you said the light we see from stars is many many years old by the time it reaches us.

Within our solar system I think we could find life however in our lifetime. Perhaps underground on Mars or on the moon of Europa
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 01:45 PM
Socializing with myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by asittingducky View Post
Not in the next couple of centuries...we still haven't fully explored the ocean even! But yea maybe before then ai will out-evolve us into a different type of life and that will become reality, like @EmotionlessThug said.
Incorrect.

You're introducing your own interpretation. That's your idea, and its separate from my idea. My meaning of a digital existence means that this very existence been materialized from a computational intelligence system. I'm talking about outside this digital existence.

If your referring to my signature, then you interpreted incorrectly. I'm referring to a Multi-Agent Quantum A.I Computer managing the citizen situations, and the citizens are too socially undeveloped to know how they got a job, how they receive partners, how they exist, how they receive income or how they pass a test. I don't know about you, but my situations are repetitive and its extremely hard to get a career. I'm pretty sure you have a career, a proper living condition and people to communicate with everyday. My situation is very serious, because I never had a career or an income. Don't joke around with me, sir.

Multi-Agent Quantum AI Computers governing citizens 24/7 using Quantum Cryptography Satellites to run a thought interval to generate cryptographic keys to refresh key information into thoughts to channel the communication 24/7.

NSA Software Engineers & NASA computationally remapping buildings, jobs, relationships, wealth, education, and income using bio intelligence system to manage citizens time & events. Getting away with airplane crashes, accidents, diseases, homelessness, and suicides.
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 08:39 AM
Social experimenter

That's the issue with the current internet, people introducing their own interpretations :/ With postmodernism creeping in everything is subjective: video suggestions, a person's psychological profile, all the massive amounts of data can be spun to say whatever you want. As far as computation intelligence system, ai only seems good for surveillance...and not really at that even.
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 12:43 PM
Socializing with myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by asittingducky View Post
That's the issue with the current internet, people introducing their own interpretations :/ With postmodernism creeping in everything is subjective: video suggestions, a person's psychological profile, all the massive amounts of data can be spun to say whatever you want. As far as computation intelligence system, ai only seems good for surveillance...and not really at that even.

Yeah, that's also a problem. People introducing their own interpretations without fully thinking through their own idea.

post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 06:27 AM
Social experimenter

No you're right and I wasn't trying to attack you. But it could, perhaps, be suggested that technology has made people more susceptible to suggestion and manipulation? In the early days of the internet you could find a lot more views and free and open discussions about less mainstream topics than nowadays, when anything not mainstream gets openly mocked :/

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page