Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Do you think life will be discovered onnother planet in your lifetime?

8K views 64 replies 30 participants last post by  ShyVegan 
#1 ·
Do you think life will be discovered on another planet in your lifetime? By life I don't even mean it has to be intelligent life. Just some fungus growing on a rock or some bacteria qualifies as life.

Ive read that Jupitor's moon Europa is one of the most likely locations in the Solar System for potential habitability. Life could exist in its under-ice ocean, perhaps in an environment similar to Earth's deep-ocean hydrothermal vents.

Im 42 years young so not sure im going to make it long enough to find out but who knows.

#2 ·
Oh there's life out there but It doesn't need us to discover it for it to exist, it's better off without us, we'll probably find a way to exploit & destroy it.

#5 ·
no. there will be other things discovered. expecting one thing or the other just shows the limits of our imagination. of course we have a tendency to understand things in terms of things we already know, so there might be something they call life which is entirely different.

#6 ·

I was really rooting for these guys to find the aliens:

If a hundred weebs can't stand outside a gate with three guards and a dog and find the aliens I don't know what to say. It's hopeless guys.

#11 ·
Yes

probably just some microbes on mars or one of the moons of Saturn .

#13 ·
Life discovered outside of digital existence?

#17 ·
Incorrect.

You're introducing your own interpretation. That's your idea, and its separate from my idea. My meaning of a digital existence means that this very existence been materialized from a computational intelligence system. I'm talking about outside this digital existence.

If your referring to my signature, then you interpreted incorrectly. I'm referring to a Multi-Agent Quantum A.I Computer managing the citizen situations, and the citizens are too socially undeveloped to know how they got a job, how they receive partners, how they exist, how they receive income or how they pass a test. I don't know about you, but my situations are repetitive and its extremely hard to get a career. I'm pretty sure you have a career, a proper living condition and people to communicate with everyday. My situation is very serious, because I never had a career or an income. Don't joke around with me, sir.

#15 ·
Well, there are a lot of variables that make it unlikely. Mostly due to distances and speed. Even at the speed of light you would have to assume that aliens would be doing the right kind of activity to be detected at exactly the right point in time for the signals to reach earth and be detectable. Example would be that the light you see from the closest stars has already been traveling for several years and therefore, you're seeing the star as it was several years ago.

So some of the stars they're looking at are thousands of light years away. Humans didn't even have screwdrivers when the light we see left those stars.

I think it is unlikely.

As far as I know they have not even done a direct observation of ANY planet outside our solar system. They are guessing. Pretty feeble.

#16 ·
Well, there are a lot of variables that make it unlikely. Mostly due to distances and speed. Even at the speed of light you would have to assume that aliens would be doing the right kind of activity to be detected at exactly the right point in time for the signals to reach earth and be detectable. Example would be that the light you see from the closest stars has already been traveling for several years and therefore, you're seeing the star as it was several years ago.

So some of the stars they're looking at are thousands of light years away. Humans didn't even have screwdrivers when the light we see left those stars.
I agree the distance makes it pretty much impossible with our current technology to detect life outside our solar system. Like you said the light we see from stars is many many years old by the time it reaches us.

Within our solar system I think we could find life however in our lifetime. Perhaps underground on Mars or on the moon of Europa

#18 ·
That's the issue with the current internet, people introducing their own interpretations :/ With postmodernism creeping in everything is subjective: video suggestions, a person's psychological profile, all the massive amounts of data can be spun to say whatever you want. As far as computation intelligence system, ai only seems good for surveillance...and not really at that even.

#19 ·
Yeah, that's also a problem. People introducing their own interpretations without fully thinking through their own idea.

#20 ·
No you're right and I wasn't trying to attack you. But it could, perhaps, be suggested that technology has made people more susceptible to suggestion and manipulation? In the early days of the internet you could find a lot more views and free and open discussions about less mainstream topics than nowadays, when anything not mainstream gets openly mocked :/

#24 ·
I take my ideas very seriously, because I spent time concentrating on connecting my thoughts. The people on the internet aren't aware of the concepts nor the education system. I'm in college taking general psychology course for my first semester, and my professor misuse too many concepts in English terms.

The people online lacks what they don't understand mainstream or not, because they never heard the language being used. So they mock the person communication with personal remarks or deny any evidence of the idea ever being real in the very first place.

My first post speaks about humanity being digital. I'm thinking as how a camera perceives another camera to process a more sophisticated image than the technology existing itself as a concept for life out this digital existence.

#21 ·
I don't think so.

I don't think life will be discovered outside of earth during humanity's existence. I believe there is life out there in the universe but the size and scope of it all, and probability of encountering anything, is too low for it to happen in the next 5 billion years before the sun blows up (and earthlings with it).

#38 ·
Part if me feels like if life is found it'll be because of some multinational corp mining & stumbling across it as opposed the dedicated scientists which is a rather sad thought
You are possibly correct. I could imagine a surveyor for a mining company walking along on the surface of Mars a hundred or so years from now finding the evidence of life.

Although I think the proof of life on other planet is more likely to be discovered by some type of rover or robot probe then a live human.

#39 ·
I don't think so, sadly.

As others said, maybe some microscopic organism, but nothing else really.

Life definitely exists on another planet, the universe is so big it definitely could happen. But there is so many things to take into account it is probably not near us.

#41 ·
There's actually a real chance of this happening. One way life can be detected on other planets is by looking at the composition of the atmosphere and there are plans to launch and build telescopes in the 2020s and 2030s that will do this. And quite a few planets which are listed as potentially habitable have already been found, so they'll be observed in more detail in the future. I don't know if the technology in some of the upcoming telescopes will be advanced enough to give a very detailed analysis of exoplanets and their atmospheres, but the telescopes that will come after them in the coming decades could. I wouldn't be that surprised if we found life (or at least signs of it) on another planet by the end of this century, and some astronomers have predicted we could too.

It's also possible the first extraterrestrial life we find will be on a moon in our solar system. One of the theories of how life originated on Earth is that it began deep underwater around hydrothermal vents. There's evidence that moons like Europa and Enceladus have vast oceans of liquid water underneath their crust and scientists have speculated that they could have life in them because the gravity of Jupiter and Saturn causes these moons to contract and expand which could create hydrothermal vents. Scientists want to send orbiters and submarines to these moons because of this.

#46 ·
It's also possible the first extraterrestrial life we find will be on a moon in our solar system. One of the theories of how life originated on Earth is that it began deep underwater around hydrothermal vents. There's evidence that moons like Europa and Enceladus have vast oceans of liquid water underneath their crust and scientists have speculated that they could have life in them because the gravity of Jupiter and Saturn causes these moons to contract and expand which could create hydrothermal vents. Scientists want to send orbiters and submarines to these moons because of this.
Sending orbiters and submarines to these moons to look under their vast oceans of water I think would be out best chance to find life in our solar system. I would think the technology exists to do this pretty much now? Send a very small submarine with a camera on it to see whats under water (perhaps a school of fish will just happen to swim past the camera). Im sure there are instruments as well you could attach that could detect life at a bacterial level in water as well.

I guess the biggest tech challenge would be getting the submarine or probe underwater without damaging it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.