Why I believe THERE IS A GOD - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 04:31 PM
SAS Member

I will never believe in any religion simply because it's a human-made concept in a universe too deep for us to comprehend. I believe simply in existence, but that is also a source of great anxiety for me because it makes my life and my loved ones' lives seem so insignificant. I don't know what to tell my children what happens when we die, aside from what I truly believe: that we just end. But how can you tell that to a child? Am I doing them a disservice by not believing in God? Is God exactly the same thing as the universe? Should I lie to them and myself just to give them comfort?

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'avjo View Post
I find it hard to get my head round why anyone would actually believe it.

Going back to my workmate, he seems a very clever and professional guy, and it sounded odd hearing some of the stuff he was saying today.
it's ok. I think God will get around to everyone. He has to! through us and Him working together. And actually I want to say that the way I believed in God was when I went to church, a wonderful/amazing church and there were nice people there and I was invited to do beginner's bible studies in which I totally didn't understand or wasn't interested in at the time as far as I recall but I still did it, and I also went to the church services and I read the bible/Word. After that I understood it more and more and could recall Scriptures and sermon messages and learned from there.

What did he say or has he said?
post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

@D'avjo , I also though wasn't brought up a Christian so I had to go through and still have to go through not knowing better and a generational curse until I learn the bible/Word completely.

post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 07:36 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
Came in expecting a lot of hate & ridiculing the Christian or theist side, but sounds like there's actually a good discussion going. Big things are happening! God is moving in big ways!

The world is quiet here.
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 07:42 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsbells999 View Post
I will never believe in any religion simply because it's a human-made concept in a universe too deep for us to comprehend. I believe simply in existence, but that is also a source of great anxiety for me because it makes my life and my loved ones' lives seem so insignificant. I don't know what to tell my children what happens when we die, aside from what I truly believe: that we just end. But how can you tell that to a child? Am I doing them a disservice by not believing in God? Is God exactly the same thing as the universe? Should I lie to them and myself just to give them comfort?

Kids are actually very understanding of things like death. Play usually involves a lot of fighting & dying. Nothing to be scared of on that end.

But you're absolutely right: if you're agnostic/atheist, your life is insignificant & nothing. You can say it means something because life is a gift or some bull**** like that, but it'd just be a lie & the chemicals in your brain are deceiving yourself. Another person could disagree & say their life is more important than yours. Reality is your life isn't insignificant tho because God gives it meaning & it's important to him. We know that because God speaks to us. Saying believing in God is just to make sense of the world is a way of making sense of the world as well.

The world is quiet here.
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 10:04 PM
S F C 0 1

My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post

What did he say or has he said?

He said god could just click his fingers and stop global warming, that there is no way we evolved from microorganisms, and why have monkeys stopped evolving.

Odd eh !! ha

Don't just do something, sit there !

Southampton FC
post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
He said god could just click his fingers and stop global warming, that there is no way we evolved from microorganisms, and why have monkeys stopped evolving.

Odd eh !! ha
My thoughts are that in the bible it says that God will destroy the earth by fire so that global warming will probably be it. Scary! I don't believe in the Big bang/evolution. I believe that there's a God/creator, that things don't just exist and that God knows more than us, that's why we don't know it. So I've repeated myself. I'm done.
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

@D'avjo , I think your colleague is just saying that monkeys couldn't have evolved into us bc then why have they stopped evolving now.
post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 03:17 AM
SAS Member

So either my life means nothing OR my life is meaningful because of God? No thanks. 'God' has far too random whims. If God does exist in some weird reality, then he is incredibly cruel and I want no part of it.

post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 04:07 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
If it helps you to believe in something, I don't think it is my place on this forum to tell you that you shouldn't. For me, I'm an atheist. Maybe it would be better if I wasn't but I can't change me. You don't have to try to prove your beliefs.

/WYSD
post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 06:43 AM
S F C 0 1

My Mood: Amused
Quote:
My thoughts are that in the bible it says that God will destroy the earth by fire so that global warming will probably be it. Scary! I don't believe in the Big bang/evolution. I believe that there's a God/creator, that things don't just exist and that God knows more than us, that's why we don't know it. So I've repeated myself. I'm done.

There being a creator out there is not what I have a problem with, I dont think there is but who knows.

It just seems so obvious to me that the bible, god, jesus and all that stuff is just one big man made story, and it puzzles me why anybody would fall for it.

Anyway, you are done so dont want to drag you back in

Don't just do something, sit there !

Southampton FC
post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
There being a creator out there is not what I have a problem with, I dont think there is but who knows.

It just seems so obvious to me that the bible, god, jesus and all that stuff is just one big man made story, and it puzzles me why anybody would fall for it.

it's ok
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 03:16 PM
alien monk

Quote:

i don't think its very often a case of some reasoning autonomous agent deciding the bible is full of true facts. from childhood we have to trust what our parents and community teach us in order to have any kind of grip on the shared reality of the day. by the time reason comes into it, its way too late.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 10:18 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Quote:
My thoughts are that in the bible it says that God will destroy the earth by fire so that global warming will probably be it. Scary! I don't believe in the Big bang/evolution. I believe that there's a God/creator, that things don't just exist and that God knows more than us, that's why we don't know it. So I've repeated myself. I'm done. <a href="http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" >:-)</a>

Anyway, you are done so dont want to drag you back in [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/SAS_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG]
Perhaps the bible was written for that period in time like perhaps the Quran was written for that period in time (and perhaps place).

"Toto IV"
It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
I bless the rains down in Africa
Gonna take some time to do the things we never had............
Sometimes when the world goes crazy all you can do is laugh. It hides the tears.
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 01:15 AM
Dum di dum

Language: Dansk, English, und ein bisschen Deutsch
Rich televangelists telling people to give them money to receive god's grace.. sorry for not finding it persuading or 'loving' in the slightest.