Why I believe THERE IS A GOD - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English

Why I believe THERE IS A GOD

Hi to all, This seems like the right place to post this. Even though this thread doesn't say 'Not for debate', I'm not debating. I'm just putting it out there why I believe there is a God.

Ok so I believe there is a God bc of something personal which is personal so I'm not going to talk about that. Also, bc of the way things are designed in a way which really looks like there's a God/Creator of things in order to take care of us ie. the water for us to drink, the sun shining to give us happiness and vitamin d, the wind blowing to cool us down, the rain for crops, the trees for oxygen, fruit and veggies, the soil for food to eat and how all this nature helps us and calms us down or is beautiful to see.

I also have come to believe in Christianity later on in life and have faith that it is the truth bc of testimony from sincere pastors like Dr. Charles F. Stanley and Joel Osteen and even my own family member.

That is all I'd like to say.. feel free to post whether you agree or disagree
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 08:38 PM
SAS Member

While I'm not half as wise as Carl Jung he pretty well summed up how I feel on the matter.

Quote:
“When we have a relationship to a particular thing or experience with it - belief/faith ceases to be a factor. The truth is this, I have had the experience of being gripped by something that is stronger than myself, something that people call God. So, I will never say that I believe that God exists. I must say I know God exists!" Carl Jung - The Undiscovered Self
Quote:
In another letter, Jung makes it clear that he would have given a different response if he had been asked whether he agreed with anyone’s particular image of God (Jung 1959b). Because of the mysterious and incomprehensible nature of God, no image of God will ever be adequate. He therefore asserted the inadequacy of all images of God, including his own.
I do not believe I can or need to prove God to anyone else.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 08:52 PM
SAS Member

fruit, the way we know it, is because of human intervention and manipulation https://www.sciencealert.com/fruits-...d-food-natural

a

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 12:00 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOne View Post
fruit, the way we know it, is because of human intervention and manipulation https://www.sciencealert.com/fruits-...d-food-natural
I don't know about that GMO stuff. I just don't want to have kids with three arms. That's man doing stuff.

Lily is talking about things that are beyond coincidence or explanation.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harveykinkle View Post
While I'm not half as wise as Carl Jung he pretty well summed up how I feel on the matter.

I do not believe I can or need to prove God to anyone else.
Harvykinkle, your avatar is so funny!
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:04 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
Harvykinkle, your avatar is so funny!
Thank you. The salamander was one of the best parts of Frozen 2.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:20 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Well, that's good enough for me.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 07:35 PM
-

Not sure if this is a troll post...especially when Osteen was mentioned.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I see that you're irrelevantly suspicious of me. I'm definitely not a troll. Joel Osteen is one of my favorite pastors, it's my preference but to each their own.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 02:55 AM
alien monk

if it was just thinking rocks the rocks would think... this is great, the world is made just for us, perfect to just lie around and be rocks. a devil in hell would think... this is great, people come for us to torture, it must be made just for us. if there wasn't air to breathe or sun to shine we wouldn't be alive to think... this sucks, we aint got no air or sun (no, we'd be dead). this is all explained by evolution and just logical thought. not god necessary.

and this is leaving out storms and volcanoes and earthquakes, which are not just for us, not pleasant, etc etc. also that people extract food from feeling animals by harming them, killing them, etc. what kind of sadist god would make it like that?

so no, no creator as far as i can tell.

and of course the many varied religions that exist would seem to suggest that people just make up whatever seems good to them. none of this is sent by god, no god speaks to us, etc etc.

this is fairy tales, outdated thinking, upheld by the old hegemony so they can molest children etc etc. that is some of the reasons i don't believe in god.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 03:31 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
what kind of sadist god would make it like that?
Exactly the same kind that would build a society like the one we live in. Coincidence?

/WYSD
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 03:51 AM
Greasy prospector

God uses us for bait to go fishing in hell, the best bait catches the biggest juiciest demon.

A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
- Macbeth
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 05:24 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
God uses us for bait to go fishing in hell, the best bait catches the biggest juiciest demon.
Not necessarily. Sometimes it just gets all eaten up by a zillion little sh1tlen fishies.

/WYSD
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I forgot to say so I'm back, feel free to pray to God if you're an unbeliever and request with thanksgiving for God to reveal it to you if He exists.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 10:58 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
I'm kind of happy for you and others that believe in a God. It is cool that you have that faith, and it brings you happiness, which brings me happiness, so we all win! I like it when we are all happy.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 11:07 PM
blurry dystopia gif ☣️

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I guess I don't in a general sense, but it's not something that can really be proven or that I devote much time to thinking about. Also runs into the 'what can count as God?' Question. Since pantheists believe the universe is God and you could treat something/someone as a God without believing it created the universe (like how a lot of people treat celebrities or money.) I definitely don't believe in the Christian God though.

I guess I've always been more into fanfiction and alternative possibilities. I like to re-imagine religious cannon in my head and combine it with other mythologies, read about weird interpretations and also read certain blasphemous fanfiction. That's the only way I could appreciate Bible stuff but I think a lot of people would prefer plain disinterest to my Satanic slash gaze lol. (Even if I realised later my ship was essentially cannon in gnosticism except they've changed Satan to Sophia and made it boringly one sided.)

The wretched world we’re living in at present was not an unlucky war of fate; it was an economic and political decision made without consulting the enormous human population that it would most drastically affect. If we would have it otherwise, if we’d prefer a future that we can call home, then we must stop supporting — even passively — this ravenous, insatiable conservative agenda before it devours us with our kids as a dessert. - Alan Moore

post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 12:54 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
I don't believe in god(s) because I've never encountered sufficient evidence to convince me. I really did try throughout my teens -- I went to church, read my scriptures, prayed, fasted, gave tithing, the whole nine yards. But I never got the slightest inkling of the existence of anything remotely metaphysical.

How could it be that some people so easily receive this 'knowledge' of god while others do not? Does god really love playing favorites, or does he just hate some of us?

Or are some people just too quick to accept a convenient and comforting lie, because they can't face the bleak truth that this life is all we've got?

Incidentally, the argument from design always makes me shake my head. Some people really need to take basic Biology. You're getting it completely backwards -- we exist BECAUSE of the water, sunlight, soil, food, etc. on this planet. If we didn't have water to drink then we never could have evolved to the point we're at. The only "design" at play comes from natural selection and random mutations, over billions of years. Besides... combining our waste removal system with our reproductive system seems like really bad 'design.' Not to mention the useless vestiges of our predecessors that remain, such as the appendix or tailbone. I think cancer is a prime example of how imperfect we really are -- just the fact that parts of our bodies can start growing out of control, spreading to other parts and eventually causing enough chaos to kill us... Why and how could a "perfect" creator make us so fragile?!

"Churches ... appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.." -Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 01:20 AM
Ad astra per aspera.

People who believe in God always swear he's so active and interested in their lives and teensy, petty issues that he "showed up" for them on, but never address all the poverty, starvation, disease, abuse, mental health issues, rape, violence, murders, wars, homelessness, disabilities, etc. At this moment countless children are being abused and will suffer from a lifetime of mental health issues and addiction. But God got me a good grade. God sent a dove and that meant my grandpa was in heaven. Just... the narcissism (not the mental illness, generic narcissism) and ridiculousness of it all astounds to me. But end of day, life is hard and whatever one needs to make it through is fine by me.

Miles to go before I sleep. Vale.

Know your ACE (adverse childhood experiences) score?
Sometimes, SA is a symptom of significant developmental, attachment or interpersonal trauma (emotional neglect counts). If you're still stuck after you've tried SA treatments such as CBT and exposure, research C-PTSD and see if it resonates. Here's an awesome resource. Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 01:45 AM
Greasy prospector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracks View Post
For those that dont believe they really are not interested.
When did you get so smart ?

- Macbeth
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 01:55 AM
Greasy prospector

😮 don't call God crap.

- Macbeth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page