Why Does God........? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Angelic

Why Does God........?

People often ask why God allows wars & disasters etc

God gave us free will to learn from our mistakes

If he jumped in every time we screwed up what would have been the point in him giving us free will?

While you SCREAM at your woman, there's a man, wishing he could talk softly in her ear...

While you HUMILIATE, OFFEND, & INSULT her,
there's a man flirting with her, & reminding her, how wonderful she is.

While you HURT your woman,
there's a man wishing he could show her love

While you make your woman CRY,
there's a man stealing smiles from her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 12:39 PM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
What does free will have to do with natural disasters?
Posted via Mobile Device
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Free will in disasters is where we mess with the atmosphere

Like pollution we create

While you SCREAM at your woman, there's a man, wishing he could talk softly in her ear...

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 06:49 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
We're gods toy soldiers, I think most people take this physical stuff way to serious our bodies ain't the important part if theres such a thing as god, they seem to forget we had no physical body for far longer than we have one, our bodies are no more important than a leaf on a tree in the end ....

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 12:15 AM
Una imposibilidad yestoqu

Language: Luuvvvv
@blue2 ..Very aptly put, if I do say so myself. In my opinion, this earthly plane is a damned free for all where murderers and saints are welcome here anytime, any place. You want a Christ? You got it. You want the anti Christ? Well, the door's wide open.but at the same time, you have this sense that whatever atrocities take place, it is not an impossibility in the system and that this system allows for the existence of both. The "why" becomes more escapable the less we understand how...
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 12:56 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, ちょっとだけ日本語, Java, C#
Considering the fact that "God" has never conclusively "jumped in" to anything, anywhere, any time in the past millennium or two, he sure must love that free will. Almost like a parent who says "**** it, you kids do whatever you want; I'm out."

Which begs the question: What's the point of God?

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." -Ayn Rand
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 04:30 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Amazed
Then why'd God give us suffering?
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 02:13 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragammon View Post
Considering the fact that "God" has never conclusively "jumped in" to anything, anywhere, any time in the past millennium or two, he sure must love that free will. Almost like a parent who says "**** it, you kids do whatever you want; I'm out."

Which begs the question: What's the point of God?
If we were to go by the doctrine of the Holy Trinity, God, through Jesus, did jump in to the living world.

Jesus left his mark on society no doubt, and while absolving humanity of the heinous act of killing God (Jesus), he also vowed to return in humanity's most desperate moment.

I would guess that the most desperate moment is the result of humanity's free will. In a way, free will really is necessary.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 11:34 PM
Dum di dum

Language: Danish, English, tiny bit of German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micronian View Post
If we were to go by the doctrine of the Holy Trinity, God, through Jesus, did jump in to the living world.

Jesus left his mark on society no doubt, and while absolving humanity of the heinous act of killing God (Jesus), he also vowed to return in humanity's most desperate moment.

I would guess that the most desperate moment is the result of humanity's free will. In a way, free will really is necessary.
So since free will doesn't exist, god doesn't exist?
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 12:07 AM
SAS Member

If free will existed which logically it doesn't but assuming it did then god would become irrelevant. Worshipping him would achieve nothing as all the onus would be on us to change our lives.

If there us some mix of free will and divine intervention going on then one could hardly say that its working.

It's a load of nonsense but understandably most people are scared to confront philosophical questions head on. They'd rather fall back on these delusions and remain locked in a childish state.

Religion is superstition, its a last resort to those who cant handle how ****ed up their life is. Its a way of controlling and repressing the population. Let's call it what it is.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 01:16 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, ちょっとだけ日本語, Java, C#
Quote:

I said "conclusively" and there's nothing conclusive about religious doctrine; it's all a matter of belief and perspective. Many scholars still debate whether or not Jesus existed at all, or was constructed long after the fact from an amalgamation of different people.

And when I said "in the past millennium or two" I meant since Jesus' supposed 'martyrdom.' The Bible tells us that God used to "jump in" all the time back before Christ. Funny how nothing of the sort has happened since the development of photography or video. Or, you know, the scientific method. Almost like all of the miracles and "Wrath of God" in the Bible were made up by a relatively primitive and superstitious people...

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." -Ayn Rand
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 08:28 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragammon View Post
I said "conclusively" and there's nothing conclusive about religious doctrine; it's all a matter of belief and perspective. Many scholars still debate whether or not Jesus existed at all, or was constructed long after the fact from an amalgamation of different people.

And when I said "in the past millennium or two" I meant since Jesus' supposed 'martyrdom.' The Bible tells us that God used to "jump in" all the time back before Christ. Funny how nothing of the sort has happened since the development of photography or video. Or, you know, the scientific method. Almost like all of the miracles and "Wrath of God" in the Bible were made up by a relatively primitive and superstitious people...
Generally, theories come from suppositions. You have to establish some starting block--real or imagined--to make a point. For example, I remember doing a unit on nephrology (kidneys) in biology class. The teacher said we barely know how the kidneys work, yet we go about treating its illnesses like we have the answer. It's even worse with the brain. The "conclusive" structure of matter is not known to us, but we make a supposition that we know how it looks like, and derive our scientific work from it.

Religion asks you to take that same of leap of faith, otherwise it won't work. If one doesn't believe in the original base assumption, everything is just magic--even science. I just don't think it's wise to discredit things we don't know. Merely, I think it's good practice to place our mind in that universe and think logically outward from its suppositions.

in that case, free will is a necessary counterpart to salvation. It wouldn't make sense for God to start rearranging things.

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 10:06 AM
Dum di dum

Quote:
Religion asks you to take that same of leap of faith, otherwise it won't work. If one doesn't believe in the original base assumption, everything is just magic--even science. I just don't think it's wise to discredit things we don't know. Merely, I think it's good practice to place our mind in that universe and think logically outward from its suppositions.
What you're suggesting is basically believing in anything no matter how crazy it is.
Let's stick to what exists in the real world instead of wild fantasies about things that we can never know about by definition... though where religious zealots somehow still know exactly how others should live their lives.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 10:51 AM
source of vitamin C

My Mood: Asleep
If god cared so much about free will then he should have respected the clay's freedom to continue not being alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman8 View Post
Between left and right, it's not even close. Leftists win.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 11:50 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milco View Post
What you're suggesting is basically believing in anything no matter how crazy it is.
More like absorbing other forms of knowledge, placing yourself in it, investigating its values, and drawing conclusions in a responsible way.

In liberal circles, this is called tolerance. Your quote makes it look like you don't have any.

As far as I'm concerned, the world is in the state it is because a group of people valued one system of knowledge over another. There have been many communities around the world whose forms of knowledge were not based on scientific rationale (for example: Islam, North American indigenous groups, African groups) and get marginalized because powerful people think their logic is too crazy to believe. I find it a terrible way to go just because they believe in some undefinable magic spirit.

My philosophy is that I don't know anything; therefore I must learn everything. I am an anthropologist, and this is how anthropologists think.

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 12:04 PM
Dum di dum

Quote:
More like absorbing other forms of knowledge, placing yourself in it, investigating its values, and drawing conclusions in a responsible way.

In liberal circles, this is called tolerance. Your quote makes it look like you don't have any.

As far as I'm concerned, the world is in the state it is because a group of people valued one system of knowledge over another. There have been many communities around the world whose forms of knowledge were not based on scientific rationale (for example: Islam, North American indigenous groups, African groups) and get marginalized because powerful people think their logic is too crazy to believe. I find it a terrible way to go just because they believe in some undefinable magic spirit.

My philosophy is that I don't know anything; therefore I must learn everything. I am an anthropologist, and this is how anthropologists think.
No, that's not what tolerance is. Tolerance is allowing others to have differing beliefs, even if you believe them to be wrong. It's not about entertaining their ideas as real.
Religions can have loads of values that you can consider "knowledge", obviously, but that doesn't mean the core of the religion is true, real or factual.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 06:29 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Amazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocky61 View Post
Free will in disasters is where we mess with the atmosphere

Like pollution we create
Yeah, cause everybody knows that earthquakes and tectonic land-slips are caused by man's evil heavy cities burdening the pure earth's ground. And meteorites and solar storms are caused by man's wicked tampering with space travel. Did you grow up writing on scrolls or stone slates by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October View Post
If god cared so much about free will then he should have respected the clay's freedom to continue not being alive
God cares so much about free will but he doesnt seem to care near as much about the fact that the suffering which he created is so pointless and so god damn terrible.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 06:34 PM
-

This God of yours seems to be one hell of a sadist.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Maybe praying & using an Ouija boards are similar; they are both used to contact spirits (God & the devil, if you like))

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad1231234 View Post
Did you grow up writing on scrolls or stone slates by any chance
Well, when I was a kid I would graffiti pavements/sidewalks lol

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page