Petition to stop the tax-exempt status for "political" churches - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 08:25 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
i agree but i think it's a losing battle. one big hurtle is the fact that it's unconstitutional to tax the church. the supreme court is made up of 6 catholics and i just can't see them voting against themselves.

the battle should be focused on reinforcing separation of church and state. imo.
i know the supreme court has ruled in favor of the church and spit on the constitution (metaphorically speaking) in at least one ruling. but that shouldn't stop the fight. if we value the church over the constitution then what does that really say about us as a nation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckie View Post
i agree but i think it's a losing battle. one big hurtle is the fact that it's unconstitutional to tax the church. the supreme court is made up of 6 catholics and i just can't see them voting against themselves.

the battle should be focused on reinforcing separation of church and state. imo.
i know the supreme court has ruled in favor of the church and spit on the constitution (metaphorically speaking) in at least one ruling. but that shouldn't stop the fight. if we value the church over the constitution then what does that really say about us as a nation?
That is a sad state of affairs and amounts to corruption in my opinion.

I read that the US government is losing out on $71 billion a year by not doing so.

This is especially scandalous when such a large number of the clergy openly back Republican politics as mentioned earlier.

I'm sure in time, however long it takes, there will be reform of religious tax exemption in many countries including the US. I know many European countries have already, or are in the process of removing many of the tax exemptions that religious institutions have enjoyed since they decided they were tax exempt in the Middle Ages.

It's simply not fair that they continue to be freeloaders, especially in time of austerity like many are in at the moment. The wealth of the Catholic Church especially makes it sickening.

The Protestant Reformation was in part due to the injustice that the Catholic Church in its greed to blackmail/tax the poor to line it's own often corrupt pockets.

We need a secular reformation.

"When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." Stephen F Roberts
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Interesting fact, the reason the Mormon's starting allowing blacks the priesthood and entry to Mormon temples in 1978 is because Jimmy Carter told them their tax exempt status would be removed if they didn't. As a greedy religion with deeply racist roots I bet that was a tough decision, but in the end money talks and they must have grudgingly had to accept it.

The Curse of Cain doctrine, which is why blacks were banned from becoming Mormon priests and from entering their temples (unless they were servants to white Mormons), along with a lot of other racist crap was taught by the Mormons for 130 years.

This includes the time when Romney was a missionary/bishop, so as someone who believes Mormonism is true he would have taught this racist doctrine. It's no wonder the black vote is estimated at around 0% for him!

Here's an interesting video on the topic of Romney, Mormonism's Curse of Cain doctrine, how Mormonism has never apologised for it, how they now sweep it under the carpet and lie to their children about it, and how they only kept their tax exempt status due to being forced to allow blacks the priesthood.

"When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." Stephen F Roberts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page