Do you think Jesus knew the Earth was round and didn't tell anyone out of spite? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Do you think Jesus knew the Earth was round and didn't tell anyone out of spite?

And why didn't he tells doctors about the whole germ thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

What if Jesus was the Alex Jones of his time and people fell for it? 😀
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:59 AM
Just This Guy

Language: Awkwardian, Nerdanese, and English.
What if Jesus was just like those cult leaders in Texas? I mean, it's likely. His story just got out.

I mean, when your mother constantly tells you you're the most special boy on Earth to an extreme, that might mess you up a bit. Look at Alexander the Great. His mom told him he was of the gods, and that dude was...a bit much.

Saving the world is great, but sometimes you gotta save yourself first.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:30 PM
Invisible

Language: English
Ancient Greek philosophers were already pretty sure the earth was round several centuries before Jesus showed up. It wouldn't have been a new idea, just slightly contradictory to Hebrew mythology.
Germ theory might have been pretty useful. But I guess if you're busy using faith healing to gain followers it might be counterproductive to have people understand the actual science of diseases.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:34 PM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredderika View Post
Ancient Greek philosophers were already pretty sure the earth was round several centuries before Jesus showed up. It wouldn't have been a new idea, just slightly contradictory to Hebrew mythology.

Germ theory might have been pretty useful. But I guess if you're busy using faith healing to gain followers it might be counterproductive to have people understand the actual science of diseases.
Even thousands of years before that the Sumerians knew the Earth was round and even have a detailed explanation of the creation of our solar system, noting all the planets and asteroid belt.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 01:00 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, ちょっとだけ日本語, Java
If Jesus did exist, which is debatable in and of itself, he would have been a product of his time. Thus he likely wouldn't have known that the earth was round, nor about germ theory. And rather than Alex Jones I'd say he was probably more of an L. Ron Hubbard or Jim Jones -- an attention-seeking, charismatic cult leader who managed to fool a lot of gullible people.

I don't think there was anything particularly remarkable about Jesus himself though; it was his followers several centuries later who really got us where we are today. The violent expansion of Christianity began with Constantine the Great, and only got worse over time.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." -Ayn Rand
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:23 AM
Wishing Time Will Freeze.

Not out of spite, but out of laziness. If he did tell, he knew he would have to walk across the oceans endlessly in circles. Instead of telling people he has reached the end of Earth, so he can just walk back to shore, relax on the beach and call it a day. Or two days, if that day was a Saturday.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 03:03 AM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
An interesting thing about Jesus is that he said a lot of the things that Thoth said thousands of years before him, some word by word. Some people believe that he was Thoth or one of his sons.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:59 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
Would people believe him?

The world is quiet here.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:03 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
He wanted it to be a surprise, what would be the point in living if he told everyone everything, there'd be nothing to work towards, no goals or victories, no character created.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:32 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Worried
Honey, Jesus had more important problems to care about like the destiny of humanity and the end of the world, knowing your own life and that you'll be suffering on cross, knowing the sufferings of people around you. Round Earth? Pfff. This is for bored people like you. Btw I don't know why you feel proud about knowing that since it's maximum 1st grade of school education. This attitude of being proud to be born in ''such an advantaged, groundbreaking'' (not really) 21st century is also too arrogant and not scientific cause really dedicated scientists know there's still lots of stuff undiscovered and that's what they care and think about.

Sorry for my English.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:44 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
He wanted it to be a surprise, what would be the point in living if he told everyone everything, there'd be nothing to work towards, no goals or victories, no character created.

Well, it was kinda mean of him to have people thinking they were gonna fall off the edge of the earth if they walked too far all their lives.

------------

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - Carlin
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:18 AM
SAS Member

I think Jesus probably knew what those around him of his time knew. Does being ignorant about the mechanics of heavenly bodies preclude someone from passing wisdom about those who inhabit them?

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:59 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Well, it was kinda mean of him to have people thinking they were gonna fall off the edge of the earth if they walked too far all their lives.
....Why would they think they were gonna fall off ? Wouldn't they assume the ground was infinite if they didn't know any better : /

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:34 PM
untitled document

Language: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredderika View Post
It wasn't mere philosophy. They proved it, and in 240 BCE Eratosthenes measured the Earth's circumference quite accurately by comparing the angle of shadows in different cities and applying basic geometry.

But if anything is clear in the bible, it's that god doesn't want humans to learn. He wants them to be ignoramuses who obey his every unexplained whim despite his reluctance to bother showing up to clarify anything for centuries upon centuries.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:16 AM
💀

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Jesus knew the skydome's polycount was 420.

Quote:
Woah slow down. You're popping those orange smarties like you're House on vicodin.
My computer thinks I'm gay
What's the difference anyway
When all the people do all day
Is stare into a phone
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:27 AM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
When you're leader of a cult, you're too busy having sex with all the women to worry about what's going on in the world.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:18 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Angelic
What if Jesus was just a wandering minstrel, performing tricks like a magician? lol

While you SCREAM at your woman, there's a man, wishing he could talk softly in her ear...

While you HUMILIATE, OFFEND, & INSULT her,
there's a man flirting with her, & reminding her, how wonderful she is.

While you HURT your woman,
there's a man wishing he could show her love

While you make your woman CRY,
there's a man stealing smiles from her.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:41 AM
the knowledge void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Jesus knew the skydome's polycount was 420.
LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page