Do you have hope for the afterlife? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Do you have hope for the afterlife?

Even if it is oblivion, are you at peace with what awaits? I alternate a lot between hope and fear over this. There's a lot I would miss if parted with them forever, but there's also a lot I wish to escape. No story people tell about the afterlife makes me especially convinced of its truth, so it remains the big unknown in my mind. It's some comfort to know that we are all together in this one thing, all life that ever was or will be. So I'd like to think that wherever we go we won't be all alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 09:10 PM
SAS Member

Nothingness brings me peace of mind. If we die and that's it, it's over, I'm perfectly okay with that. Eternity is what would scare me.

I lean towards reincarnation being more of a possibility. That's fine with me too. I wouldn't be aware that I'm starting a new life either way.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 10:44 PM
🧱

Language: None
I'm not at peace with nonexistence, but there's nothing I can do about it and I did manage it for 13+ billion years already without any trouble.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 01:18 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
I believe that any kind of afterlife is exceptionally unlikely. And yes, I'm at peace with oblivion -- why wouldn't I be? It'll be no different than the billions of years before I existed. You can't miss anything while you don't exist -- you can't do or feel at all. So there's literally nothing to be afraid of.

"Asking 'If there is no God, what is the purpose of life?' is like asking 'If there is no master, whose slave will I be?'" - Dan Barker
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 02:09 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
IMHO, nothing awaits. Not even nothing awaits. Death is the result of the destruction of the brain/it's capacity to function. Life happens inside the functioning brain. Nothing of my consciousness will exist after death.

So the only thing I can hope for is the process of dying is relatively fast and not psychologically difficult. Which is generally wishful thinking.

/WYSD
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 06:54 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragammon View Post
I believe that any kind of afterlife is exceptionally unlikely. And yes, I'm at peace with oblivion -- why wouldn't I be? It'll be no different than the billions of years before I existed. You can't miss anything while you don't exist -- you can't do or feel at all. So there's literally nothing to be afraid of.

Generally life after death is an observable reality. Look at any tree that sheds it's leaves in a change of season. That is a sign from our creator for anyone who wants to reflect. Those leaves are connected in their own world. We are too. There is an observable consistency in the world we see. It can even be seen in the observable universe.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 06:55 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Nothing awaits. Not even nothing awaits. Death is the result of the destruction of the brain/it's capacity to function. Life happens inside the functioning brain. Nothing of my consciousness will exist after death.

So the only thing I can hope for is the process of dying is relatively fast and not psychologically difficult. Which is generally wishful thinking.

Life happens even before you have a brain. Sperm is a living entity.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 07:13 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbasGreen View Post
Life happens even before you have a brain. Sperm is a living entity.
You'll have to excuse me if I don't believe sperm is capable of lounging around in a computer chair pondering it's own existence. Obviously, I meant human consciousness happens entirely in the human brain. The brain stops working and the person who lived inside it no longer exists.

That's just my opinion. The question was "Do you have hope for the afterlife?". Who is "you"? In this instance, "you" is referring to me. The question was directed at each individual poster to answer for themselves. I did that. So if you want to compare a human consciousness to sperm, you can do that without me in your own post.

/WYSD
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 07:42 AM
Dum di dum

Language: Dansk, English, und ein bisschen Deutsch
Quote:
Generally life after death is an observable reality. Look at any tree that sheds it's leaves in a change of season. That is a sign from our creator for anyone who wants to reflect. Those leaves are connected in their own world. We are too. There is an observable consistency in the world we see. It can even be seen in the observable universe.
What you are claiming is in no way observable reality - I would argue it's hocus-pocus.

We, the conscious us that we identify with and that can experience the world around us, only exist because of elaborate and complicated arrangements of matter and electric signals firing inside us. When we die, those arrangements break apart and those signals stop, hence we - in ever meaningful way - cease to be. And that's absolutely fine. That nothingness means there no bad things and essentially there is rest.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 08:00 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milco View Post
What you are claiming is in no way observable reality - I would argue it's hocus-pocus.

We, the conscious us that we identify with and that can experience the world around us, only exist because of elaborate and complicated arrangements of matter and electric signals firing inside us. When we die, those arrangements break apart and those signals stop, hence we - in ever meaningful way - cease to be. And that's absolutely fine. That nothingness means there no bad things and essentially there is rest.

Yesterday someone died. Today something bad happened.

Not everything is matter. Not everything is detectable, observable, measurable etc.

Most of the universe is unseen.

Your thoughts are unseen.

People who have more right to have claims of the truth of the world are the ones who have studied time in depth. By that I mean they study what their creator has sent down and he knows all about time. By you saying you only believe in a physical world or what can be seen you are jumping to dangerous premature conclusions.

By the way, did I just read correctly when you said that it's not an observable reality in my example that there is life after death? So those leaves didn't die and then new leaves didn't grow back in their place?

Just to clarify, I'm not saying we are leaves. I'm saying God put many signs for the reflecting mind about this matter and he leaves it up to you to do your journey. They actually do live in their own world by the way if you look closely. Trees are living. He just made us a higher type of creation but we are subject to the same reality.

That's why I mentioned "observable consistency".
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 08:26 AM
Dum di dum

Quote:
Yesterday someone died. Today something bad happened.

Not everything is matter. Not everything is detectable, observable, measurable etc.

Most of the universe is unseen.

Your thoughts are unseen.
I'm not claiming there aren't things we can't detect. But I'm also not claiming I know what those things are - you seem to claim that, despite saying we can't detect them.

Also, thoughts can be observed.

Quote:
People who have more right to have claims of the truth of the world are the ones who have studied time in depth. By that I mean they study what their creator has sent down and he knows all about time. By you saying you only believe in a physical world or what can be seen you are jumping to dangerous premature conclusions.
That's just plain hypocrisy.
I'm jumping to conclusions because I'm not religious and only religious people have a right to say what is true?

Quote:
By the way, did I just read correctly when you said that it's not an observable reality in my example that there is life after death? So those leaves didn't die and then new leaves didn't grow back in their place?
The tree didn't die, and they're not the same leaves.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 08:47 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
I'm not claiming there aren't things we can't detect. But I'm also not claiming I know what those things are - you seem to claim that, despite saying we can't detect them.

Also, thoughts can be observed.

That's just plain hypocrisy.
I'm jumping to conclusions because I'm not religious and only religious people have a right to say what is true?

The tree didn't die, and they're not the same leaves.

Think about what I said. Give it a little time and thinking. Maybe go for a long walk. I shouldn't derail the thread anyway.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 08:53 AM
Dum di dum

Quote:
Think about what I said. Give it a little time and thinking. Maybe go for a long walk. I shouldn't derail the thread anyway.
Nah, I'm good
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 08:58 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Nah, I'm good

Ok, time is a heavy subject for some I guess.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 09:06 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
A hope for what? If this life is LIKE THAT, why should the next one be better. I don't think so. I am bitter and tired and yeah, no hope whatsoever for any life
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 08:50 PM
🧱

Language: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragammon View Post
So there's literally nothing to be afraid of.
Who can honestly say they're not afraid of nothing? If you were about to be executed in a pleasant way (say a gas that puts you to sleep), you wouldn't be afraid?

Seems about as plausible to me as religious people who claim not to fear death because of their blissful afterlife but constantly act as though death is the worst thing that could happen to them instead of the best.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 08:56 PM
Cooked.

My Mood: Breezy
I think eternity is scary - at least an eternity of consciousness.

It is kinda sad to think that my body or mind doesn't really belong to me, though. I'm just kinda passing through.

The world is not my home. I'm just passing through.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 09:43 PM
SAS Member

I don't see anything wrong with an afterlife in heaven where there will be no more disease, suffering but only peace and joy.
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 06:32 AM
S F C 0 1

My Mood: Amused
oblivion is fine with me but would opt for the afterlife if there was one - would have to be fun and a laugh tho if for eternity, definitely no working.

Dont just do something. sit there !!

Southampton FC
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 07:14 AM
Self isolating from self

It would be nice so long as the afterlife is a pleasant one, but it's highly doubtful that there's anything beyond "this" for us meat puppets.

Setup progress now at 100% capacity.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page