Do you believe in an afterlife? - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Do you believe in an afterlife?
Yes. 3 25.00%
No. 9 75.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Do you believe in an afterlife?

Personally I don't.
I think this life is all we are ever going to experience.
One of the reasons people invented religion and concepts like heaven and reincarnation is to deal with this fact that is scary to most people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 03:47 PM
SAS Member

Not really, but I think aspects of reincarnation make a lot of sense.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 04:05 PM
Long Term Member

I'd be hard pressed to believe there is any spiritual or magical forces in the universe. That's like believing Santa Claus is real.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 02:26 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
No, I don't believe in any kind of afterlife because I've never encountered sufficient evidence to convince me.

All that we know of the brain indicates that our mind, our entire "consciousness," resides there -- alter the brain and you can alter a person's whole identity. Therefore it's highly likely that when the brain dies, everything we are dies with it.

"Asking 'If there is no God, what is the purpose of life?' is like asking 'If there is no master, whose slave will I be?'" - Dan Barker
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 03:33 AM
SAS Member

Only in a broader sense.

Humans are made of stardust.
After we die, our dust and atoms become part of an everlasting cycle on earth.
So we eventually become a tiny part of other organisms.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 07:09 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
Yes, I believe there is a Heaven.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 07:26 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
I believe life goes on until humans go extinct but I do not believe dead people are alive.

/WYSD
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 01:09 AM
SAS Member

No, but I understand that it's not a simple answer. There is no heaven, hell, reincarnation, or any fairy tale story like that. If there is, that's just crazy, and I am glad I am wrong (unless I am in hell.... that would suck).

However, humans don't understand consciousness. Consciousness is not necessarily bonded to a single life form, or, as most assume, the brain. Most people believe that the brain is what creates our identity, however the self is really just an observing stream of consciousness. There are possibilities that each mind may have multiple streams of consciousness, each thinking that they own the mind and control decisions. The brain is a bunch of neurons that react to stimuli. It is unlikely that an abstract stream of consciousness is able to manipulate them and forge decisions and instructions. Adding the possibility that each mind may have multiple observing streams of consciousness makes that theory even more unlikely.

We think we (our conscious self) make decisions for the mind, but this is likely because we know what is going on in the mind almost simultaneously as the decision and thought process is being made. However, scientists have shown evidence that decisions are determined before we are even aware of that decision. So, if the consciousness is independent from the mind and brain, then what happens to it after death?

What we do know is that the brain stops working once we are dead. Thoughts are products of the brain. Emotions are chemical reactions created by neurons within the brain as a protection mechanism to maintain survival. All that ends when the brain dies. So what is consciousness without the brain?

It is possible that we still "observe" after death, but consciousness would be completely alien to what we experience now.

- Strong
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 01:14 AM
Defeated

Language: English, Dutch
My Mood: Dead
No, unless someone comes back from the dead I don't think there is any other way to prove it otherwise. Even if there would be an afterlife, and I'm not saying there is, we would have no way of finding out because we could only go there, but never return.

"Like a book isolated on a shelf with no one to read it yet judge it for its amount of pages. I feel such way."

"Just because you're breathing, doesn't mean you're alive."
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 12:52 AM
Dogra Magra

Language: 中国語
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Strong Silent Type View Post
There are possibilities that each mind may have multiple streams of consciousness, each thinking that they own the mind and control decisions. The brain is a bunch of neurons that react to stimuli. It is unlikely that an abstract stream of consciousness is able to manipulate them and forge decisions and instructions. Adding the possibility that each mind may have multiple observing streams of consciousness makes that theory even more unlikely.
This is an interesting idea. Do you know of some sources/research that expands on it that I might look into?

To me it seems like the reverse - that there is one basic consciousness common to all, but each of our individual consciousness is filtered through the mental construct we call a self/identity/ego, which gives us the illusion that we make our own decisions and command our own bodies. Breaking free of this mental construct (as well as other pertinent conditionings or concepts) and experiencing the pure raw consciousness is a spiritual experience which is referred to in most religions as "God". Every religion conceptualises its God(s) differently, but I believe these to be social and intellectual constructs - ideas on the level of form - they influence the way in which people come to interpret or explain the subjective experience, but not the quality or the essence of the experience itself.

Most of us are sufficiently mind-identified that we are unable to distinguish between the conditioned and the unconditioned within ourselves. From as far back as we can remember we've already gotten used to perceiving the world in a certain way, which feels like "objective reality" to us, and we take for granted that a "normal" consciousness without defects would perceive it more or less all in the same way. But basically everything is subjective and there is no objectivity, unless we are able to remove the perceiver while still maintaining the perception somehow.

Saying that consciousness is independent of brain/mind seems to imply that it could exist post-death. But the fact remains that our memory system is tied to the brain, so even if there is a conscious experience, that particular person would have no memory of it. Kind of like how we don't remember being asleep, or our infancy before we have developed our long-term memory.

my otome tumblr blog

realisation: the act or process of becoming real. óWebster
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 05:44 AM
experimental sincerity

I believe in the afterlife. You keep on living and you don't ever die! Not sure in what way though. But I guess I'll find out.

I don't find the idea of 'nothingness' after death scary, only less plausible than the alternative.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 06:08 AM
SAS Member

Language: EN, LT, RU
Either it's better than this life, either it doesn't exist at all. We already live in hell, so neither worse afterlife nor reincarnation are attractive ideas to me.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 06:23 AM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
It would be cool but not like the religious one with God and all that stuff, that would be boring.

But no, I dont believe in one.

**** your feelings !!

SFC
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 02:13 PM
Dum di dum

Language: Dansk, English, und ein bisschen Deutsch
Nope, and just is no possibility of it existing.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 02:36 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Why afterlife ? Why not beforelife, If there is something more then this the sideshow/freakshow we're not the headline act.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page