Coronavirus - punishment from God? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Permanently An Idiot

My Mood: Lurking

Coronavirus - punishment from God?

So my mother thinks that the Coronavirus is God's punishment. Tbh, with the recent plague of locusts in Pakistan and the flooding in the UK, I can see why. (Note: my mother is a lapsed Christian, I'm agnostic but was raised in the church) Ofc, with Italy being the current worst-hit country, it seems unlikely to be divine punishment - can you get a more religious country than Italy?

What are everyone's thoughts? I'm especially curious to hear from those who are devout in their religion - do you feel this is punishment or a test of faith?

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 05:12 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Its a trial/test. He wants to shake us and remind us its Him we need not the other "idols" in our lives. Work, family, health, etc....all that comes second to Him. He is the only thing that can save you. Really hope more people come to know Him because if you die now there is no second chance.

2 Chronicles 7:13-14

13 “When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, 14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

This is not the end though, tribulation period will be much much worse.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 06:57 AM
Leftist Darkness

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I've seen Christians say that it's a punishment. I personally think that's ridiculous but I don't believe in God(s)

I also think it's weird when people believe these things but still worship the God they think did that? What's that about lol. Some people need to fire their God and get a new one. Basically:

Some people heard my words and thought it meant they knew me
Truth is, I don't exist, I'm just a soundtrack to your movie
Some background figure in a story that's already scripted
And what I feel's just felt for you to hear me ****ing spit it
I jump in many different heads through these words and poems
Always hoping maybe the next leap'll be my leap home

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 09:22 AM
SAS Member

Why God? Why not mother nature? Why not the planet itself trying to restore equilibrium?

Why does God have a wrath that we have to feel? 🤷‍♀️
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 11:07 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWelshOne View Post
So my mother thinks that the Coronavirus is God's punishment. Tbh, with the recent plague of locusts in Pakistan and the flooding in the UK, I can see why. (Note: my mother is a lapsed Christian, I'm agnostic but was raised in the church) Ofc, with Italy being the current worst-hit country, it seems unlikely to be divine punishment - can you get a more religious country than Italy?

What are everyone's thoughts? I'm especially curious to hear from those who are devout in their religion - do you feel this is punishment or a test of faith?

I don't think there has ever been a time in history when we have had quick access to the worlds simultaneous events. That's also why there is a lot of anxiety disorders I think. Too much access to free and cheap information. Welcome to capitalism.

Sometimes events are definitely a punishment however. Look at Pompeii. No doubt.

I don't know what's happening with this Coronavirus thing to be honest. It's a bad virus fine but I get confused because other communicable diseases have caused more deaths globally...I don't know what the future holds but if you look at the case and death ratio globally for Covid-19 it is: 265,976 cases/11,186 deaths.

You could also put other diseases into a case and death ratio and I wouldn't be surprised if you found more concerning items. Interestingly the American Cancer Society's estimates for cervical cancer in the United States for 2020 are:

About 13,800 new cases of invasive cervical cancer will be diagnosed.
About 4,290 women will die from cervical cancer.

Cervical cancer is caught from the Human papillomavirus (HPV). HPV's are transmitted very easily just like Covid-19.

In 2018, approximately 311 000 women died from cervical cancer; more than 85% of these deaths occurring in low- and middle-income countries.

So it may well be a punishment however. Especially for world leaders because a lot of them fall into the at risk category.

Read about HPV's the cancer causing types and look at the cause...I won't mention it here....I'm pretty sure you can conclude they can be a punishment...
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Permanently An Idiot

@Persephone The Dread Kind of have to agree. I don't like the idea of a God who controls through fear. Maybe @Kevin001 can explain a bit more why God needs to test his followers this way. (Not inciting abuse/trolling, seriously wondering how those will religious views justify the 'well he's just reminding us to love him' thing)

@aqwsderf Mother Nature is a good call too. I love all the pictures of animals wandering around locked-down cities. At least if we all die, they'll get the land back pretty quickly.

@AbbasGreen 265,976 cases/11,186 deaths in three months. And rising fast. No vaccine, no way to tell who's infected until they show symptoms, no treatment, basic advice just being 'you'll recover or you'll die'. It definitely seems like we screwed something up somewhere, but I do agree that the internet has amped everything up, fear-wise.

Also not sure what HPV has to do with anything, it's an STD so it's never going to infect people as indiscriminately.

post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 11:42 AM
On Life Support

My Mood: Dead
After pestilence comes famine then war and then death at the end right?

"Existence well what does it matter?
I exist on the best terms I can
The past is now part of my future,
The present is well out of hand"

― Ian Curtis
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 11:52 AM
SAS Member

Quote:

@AbbasGreen 265,976 cases/11,186 deaths in three months. And rising fast. No vaccine, no way to tell who's infected until they show symptoms, no treatment, basic advice just being 'you'll recover or you'll die'. It definitely seems like we screwed something up somewhere, but I do agree that the internet has amped everything up, fear-wise.

Also not sure what HPV has to do with anything, it's an STD so it's never going to infect people as indiscriminately.

According to the World Health Organization's top 10 causes of death dated 24 may 2018 there were 3 million deaths from lower respiratory infections.

Anomalies with cancers occur.

This virus may be Novel but generally Novelty and death is a reality.

Seems like just another part of life just like the history of this planet has always been. You could replace the variables you mentioned above and it could be compared to a massive earthquake, landslide or tsunami etc. Perhaps on a global scale. Staying on the general level again and in the context of global death, it's no different to the amounts of deaths tobacco companies are causing to people, car accidents and other diseases. Perhaps the numbers might be different give or take a little.

Visit a hospital of the terminally ill.

I get your point but I mean there is a lot of media hype behind this.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 11:56 AM
I Am Second

Quote:
@Persephone The Dread Kind of have to agree. I don't like the idea of a God who controls through fear. Maybe @Kevin001 can explain a bit more why God needs to test his followers this way. (Not inciting abuse/trolling, seriously wondering how those will religious views justify the 'well he's just reminding us to love him' thing)
We were created for one thing....to glorify/worship Him. We have a choice at the end of the day to join Him or perish. He's not controlling we have free will to choose, not robots. God is love, if you don't know Him you don't know what real love is. He wants the best for all of us but at the end of the day He will judge everyone. We are all predestined for hell, its only through Him that we have a way to heaven.

You have a choice . Things like this virus is just a reminder/wake up call.

post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Permanently An Idiot

@Kevin001 Idk, I think 'you can do what you want but unless you do exactly what I want you to do you'll be tortured for eternity' has an abusive, controlling ring to it.

But hey, I'm going to Hell anyway, so what does it matter?

post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 12:18 PM
I Am Second

Quote:
@Kevin001 Idk, I think 'you can do what you want but unless you do exactly what I want you to do you'll be tortured for eternity' has an abusive, controlling ring to it.

But hey, I'm going to Hell anyway, so what does it matter?
He just wants good for us all and for us to turn away from bad stuff .

Idk I have a feeling not .

post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 12:27 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
Its a trial/test. He wants to shake us and remind us its Him we need not the other "idols" in our lives. Work, family, health, etc....all that comes second to Him. He is the only thing that can save you
Guess you better quit worrying​ about your job and money so much then, Kevin. You post about those things an awful lot.

"You hypocrite! First, remove the beam out of your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother’s eye." Matthew 7:5
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 12:29 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

I've always found it odd, when people say God is doing it because humanity deserves it. Imagine, having a loved one die, while someone is telling you something like that? It would be as though they are telling you, your loved one deserved it. Just kind of off putting. I don't think they would be saying the same thing, if it were their own loved one.

I also found it strange, when a tragedy occurs that kills several people, and one person survives. It is considered an act of God or a miracle, I look at it more so that it would be more likely an act of God if all the people were saved. Then I start wondering, why that one person who was spared was more worthy. Then I start wondering about the family of the deceased, and if they are a bit upset that everyone is calling their loved ones dying, an act of God.. in fact I imagine that might put off a lot of people toward religion.

If there is a God, and this is an act of him to punish sinners.. I would think his aim is a bit off. I personally, don't think this is an act of God, even though I don't believe in him, I would think that if he did exist he would go about this in different ways.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 12:44 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonebox View Post
I've always found it odd, when people say God is doing it because humanity deserves it. Imagine, having a loved one die, while someone is telling you something like that? It would be as though they are telling you, your loved one deserved it. Just kind of off putting. I don't think they would be saying the same thing, if it were their own loved one.

I also found it strange, when a tragedy occurs that kills several people, and one person survives. It is considered an act of God or a miracle, I look at it more so that it would be more likely an act of God if all the people were saved. Then I start wondering, why that one person who was spared was more worthy. Then I start wondering about the family of the deceased, and if they are a bit upset that everyone is calling their loved ones dying, an act of God.. in fact I imagine that might put off a lot of people toward religion.

If there is a God, and this is an act of him to punish sinners.. I would think his aim is a bit off. I personally, don't think this is an act of God, even though I don't believe in him, I would think that if he did exist he would go about this in different ways.

There is too much uncertainty with this Coronavirus thing. A lot of facts aren't even established regarding the virus. That's why it might not be helpful to get hypothetical with it. When everything happens then we can make an accurate analysis and judgement of the event.
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 12:48 PM
I Am Second

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnynihilist View Post
Guess you better quit worrying​ about your job and money so much then, Kevin. You post about those things an awful lot.

"You hypocrite! First, remove the beam out of your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother’s eye." Matthew 7:5
I'm being smart trying to make a life for myself during my short time on this earth but at the end of the day I know only Jesus can complete me. If I lost everything I'd be ok .

post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 12:51 PM
Greasy prospector

I find it odd religious people have children if they believe there's a vengeful God that's gonna punish everyone for being evil, just spare them that crap in the first place.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 12:55 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
I'm being smart trying to make a life for myself during my short time on this earth but at the end of the day I know only Jesus can complete me. If I lost everything I'd be ok .
Bible says if your faith is strong enough then you don't need to be smart to make a life for yourself. God will do it for you.

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" Mathew 6:26
post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 12:58 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbasGreen View Post
There is too much uncertainty with this Coronavirus thing. A lot of facts aren't even established regarding the virus. That's why it might not be helpful to get hypothetical with it. When everything happens then we can make an accurate analysis and judgement of the event.

It is interesting to think about, from a point of the religious view of disease. Now I am curious, if there are actual panels out there, that decide if each virus was divinely inspired, and how they determine if it was or was not. I've never actually put that much thought into the basis of this, and wonder if there is a lot of debate among the theologians or if such knowledge is divinely passed to a head of Church such as the Pope, or LDS President.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 01:01 PM
prince charming

Not everything that happens on this planet is about our species, even though we've entered the anthropocene. The dance between viruses (I like viri better) and immune systems has been going on for quite a while here. This is nothing new, as the rupture in the illusion of safety and control may be. With all due respect, I think it's quite self-absorbed to claim to be the target here. Only 10% of our cells are human, so who's being punished if you die, really? This hierarchical line of thinking doesn't rhyme with the circular nature of ecology, of what plays out here. There's no ecological pyramid, there are only food webs. Life feeds on life and you and I are just a temporary form it takes. One death feeds many. It's even more complex if you debate a virus being life, etc. If you want to call this the will of God, I'm fine with it, but not with us in the center. That is just hubris. By believing in the idea of being punished like this because you're sinful, you make yourself the apples eye of God. If I hazard it, it's blasphemy as it reduces the beauty and complexity of life on this planet to just a stage for us to perform our play in. It doesn't vibe with me at all. Not sure how to Identify spiritually. Let's go for Pantheism if you need a term. I didn't know I had all of this in me, lol. *steps off soap box*

((( connect or perish )))
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 01:03 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonebox View Post
It is interesting to think about, from a point of the religious view of disease. Now I am curious, if there are actual panels out there, that decide if each virus was divinely inspired, and how they determine if it was or was not. I've never actually put that much thought into the basis of this, and wonder if there is a lot of debate among the theologians or if such knowledge is divinely passed to a head of Church such as the Pope, or LDS President.

?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page