Social Anxiety Institute Program: Overcoming Social Anxiety - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
is getting over herself

Social Anxiety Institute Program: Overcoming Social Anxiety

I have decided to do something constructive with my time and do something to improve myself at the same time.

I will be ordering Dr. Richards's tape series Overcoming Social Anxiety and I will be starting a group, which I hope to get announced on the forums soon. The materials will be shared. I'll be putting it on things like meetup.com as well - in fact, meetup.com is the only thing I know of, so any suggestions for getting the word out are welcome.

it may take me a while to get the whole thing going as I must find a venue, etc. but will post updates as things evolve. I hope to not take too long.

I'm putting this out there now in order to determine if there are enough people in my area to make it work.

this will be in the Olympia, Washington area.

this feels like diving into the very deep end of a very cold pool.

Live Cage Free!!!! or, at least be wild caught.
SnowFlakesFire:

You can rebuild your self-esteem. Rebuild it into a way that others cannot destroy it anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 02:23 AM
Smexy

Awesome idea, and good luck!

Therapist: 'Charlie Work'? What's 'Charlie Work'? Fill me in.
Charlie: Oh, right. You don't know 'Charlie Work'. Well, 'Charlie Work' is like basement stuff, cleaning urinals, blood stuff, your basic slimes, your sludges, anything dead or decaying, I'm on it, I'm dealing with it.
Therapist: And you dislike it?
Charlie: Oh, no. I love it. I love the dark. I love slippery things. I love being naked... in the sewer. Bleach smells good, it tastes good...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
is getting over herself

thanks! even if no one responds, I'll still work through the program myself and hopefully make the move to Arizona.

SnowFlakesFire:

You can rebuild your self-esteem. Rebuild it into a way that others cannot destroy it anymore.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 04:16 PM
~ in the ether ~

Great idea.
Give you lots of credit if you manage to follow through.
I haven't even made a phone call to the local social anxiety group up here. I'm not sure if it still meets...
Perhaps I'll make it a priority after I return from vacation.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
is getting over herself

good luck to you too - I know firsthand how hard it can be to actually do these things. I think I'm ready. I'm sick of my comfort zone.

SnowFlakesFire:

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 01:25 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
as always, i like this. i'd like to see you, just once, post something that makes no sense.

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

"Daisy, may I ask why you're holding Miss Sybil's biscuit jar?"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
is getting over herself

^ I thought it was munchkinland. oh, and ask anyone who actually knows me in the flesh - they'll gladly tell you I make no sense whatsoever.

SnowFlakesFire:

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 01:25 AM
Smexy

I just posted a thread in the frustration forum and I realized what I wrote might be relatively associated with your idea. It's a very raw, anger driven post, but I'll throw it at you and see what happens:

Thinking about our problems in our head and writing about them on a forum is never going to solve them. Goddammit, what we need is a massive event for all of us to externalize our internal frustration. There should be a bootcamp for everyone with SA in which we can practice techniques to change our physiology, so when we're out in public we can walk and talk with confidence. It seems like the only current forms of recovery are therapy, medication, and self help material. What we need is a community, similar to what pick up artists have developed. Something that anyone can attend no matter what age they are. Something well structured that involves speakers who have already overcome SA and can share their individual methods and then help us achieve feats of overcoming anxiety. A class with exercises proven to enhance our social skills. A place where no one is being judged. I think a lot of people here want to get out and improve themselves, they just don't have the platform to do it. Especially those who are without friends and have a difficult time meeting new people.

I can picture it in my head. I introduce myself to the class, tell them about my history with SA, then continue on with a screaming exercise. Then I will have an object smashing exercise where each person gets a turn to obliterate an object with a baseball bat. Once everyone gets that initial frustration and discomfort out of their system, then I continue with my own rendition of an Eckhart Tolle seminar. Help everyone achieve mindfulness and meditation, get them out of their thoughts. Then form people into groups where they can share their own life stories and anxiety related commonalities. Then we take a bathroom and food break. After that we have a lesson on how to focus our body movement outward, eye contact routines, smiling. So many ideas in my head.

Charlie: Oh, right. You don't know 'Charlie Work'. Well, 'Charlie Work' is like basement stuff, cleaning urinals, blood stuff, your basic slimes, your sludges, anything dead or decaying, I'm on it, I'm dealing with it.
Charlie: Oh, no. I love it. I love the dark. I love slippery things. I love being naked... in the sewer. Bleach smells good, it tastes good...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
is getting over herself

You, my man (of however many words you like), have pretty much summed up what happens at the Social Anxiety institute. you are absolutely correct in saying that our physiology needs changing. that is a simple way of saying that the cycle upon which SA feeds needs to be broken somewhere along the circle of thinking, behaving, and believing that reinforces SA.

i have always believed that a structured, behavioral approach with a group of like-minded individuals all learning to deal with the same condition that understands each other's struggles and attacks the problem with one mind, is the best method of finding one's way out of this forest.

A forum, while it can be fun, is at best a trail of crumbs. it has its uses, but a solution? no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfFewWords View Post
I just posted a thread in the frustration forum and I realized what I wrote might be relatively associated with your idea. It's a very raw, anger driven post, but I'll throw it at you and see what happens:

Thinking about our problems in our head and writing about them on a forum is never going to solve them. Goddammit, what we need is a massive event for all of us to externalize our internal frustration. There should be a bootcamp for everyone with SA in which we can practice techniques to change our physiology, so when we're out in public we can walk and talk with confidence. It seems like the only current forms of recovery are therapy, medication, and self help material. What we need is a community, similar to what pick up artists have developed. Something that anyone can attend no matter what age they are. Something well structured that involves speakers who have already overcome SA and can share their individual methods and then help us achieve feats of overcoming anxiety. A class with exercises proven to enhance our social skills. A place where no one is being judged. I think a lot of people here want to get out and improve themselves, they just don't have the platform to do it. Especially those who are without friends and have a difficult time meeting new people.

I can picture it in my head. I introduce myself to the class, tell them about my history with SA, then continue on with a screaming exercise. Then I will have an object smashing exercise where each person gets a turn to obliterate an object with a baseball bat. Once everyone gets that initial frustration and discomfort out of their system, then I continue with my own rendition of an Eckhart Tolle seminar. Help everyone achieve mindfulness and meditation, get them out of their thoughts. Then form people into groups where they can share their own life stories and anxiety related commonalities. Then we take a bathroom and food break. After that we have a lesson on how to focus our body movement outward, eye contact routines, smiling. So many ideas in my head.

SnowFlakesFire:

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Smexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardess View Post
You, my man (of however many words you like), have pretty much summed up what happens at the Social Anxiety institute. you are absolutely correct in saying that our physiology needs changing. that is a simple way of saying that the cycle upon which SA feeds needs to be broken somewhere along the circle of thinking, behaving, and believing that reinforces SA.

i have always believed that a structured, behavioral approach with a group of like-minded individuals all learning to deal with the same condition that understands each other's struggles and attacks the problem with one mind, is the best method of finding one's way out of this forest.

A forum, while it can be fun, is at best a trail of crumbs. it has its uses, but a solution? no.
As much as I'm just spitballing, I think it would be awesome to run an institution like this someday. It's a very ambitious dream. Big things have small beginnings.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
is getting over herself

i know it's just spitballing and all at this point, but another institution like the one you outline is so very badly needed. the SAI is seriously overstretched.

SnowFlakesFire:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page