Diagonally-Parked in a Parallel Universe - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Diagonally-Parked in a Parallel Universe

I skimmed this book at a store recently: Diagonally-Parked in a Parallel Universe : Working Through Social Anxiety by Signe A. Dayhoff. Never read a self-help book for SA before. I'm thinking of getting this one. Any thoughts??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 01:31 PM

re: Diagonally-Parked in a Parallel Universe

My mom bought this for me last summer when I told her about my SA. I've had it for about 5-6 months and have only read about 60 pages. I think the book is pretty boring and hasn't helped me at all so far. All I've learned is what some of the causes of SA are what can trigger it. It's a pretty thick book, and I'm determined to eventually finish it, so hopefully it'll get better. I think it's a good book if you want to learn more about SA, but I wanted a book that would help me ease mine and this one isn't doing that. But like I said, I haven't even read half of it so maybe it gets better further into it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 02:08 PM

I borrowed it from the library. It has a lot of information about what it is, what can cause it. It was really long and boring most of the time. I guess it did have a couple good exercises in it. I did write a few things down from it. But its not something I would buy, just get it from the library if you can.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 03:56 PM

I read it. It was pretty good.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 04:18 PM
SAS Member

I borrowed the book from the library a while ago. I think i got through like half of it... Most of these books your supposed to follow to the T, and do all the exercises and actually apply them behaviorally.

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...p-therapy-357/
Online Cognitive Behavioral Group Therapy (CBT) - Join if interested in Overcoming SA
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 01:23 PM
SAS Member

I have the book but I'm only about 60 pages in. I think it is very good and enlightening and has brought up some issues about social anxiety that I'd never considered before. I think it's very well written as much as I've read so far. She really coves all the angles. The author did have the disorder herself so she has a personal understanding of what it's like. I think the self-help exercises are later in the book. I would definitely recommend it. Yes, I'm sure you could get a copy at Amazon or half.com or through the library.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 05:21 AM

Re: Diagonally-Parked in a Parallel Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptybottle
I skimmed this book at a store recently: Diagonally-Parked in a Parallel Universe : Working Through Social Anxiety by Signe A. Dayhoff. Never read a self-help book for SA before. I'm thinking of getting this one. Any thoughts??

for me this book is not very good, it sux most of the time. Maybe is for beginners to know more about SA and treatment with little and poor exercises.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Re: re: Diagonally-Parked in a Parallel Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
I have the book but I'm only about 60 pages in. I think it is very good and enlightening and has brought up some issues about social anxiety that I'd never considered before. I think it's very well written as much as I've read so far. She really coves all the angles.
I agree with this. I'm surprised that so many people didn't like the book. I've perused other SA books at the library, and none of them were as comprehensive and informative as this one. Way too many bullet points and lists, though. It's a great reference book, but it's short on self-help content, so you should probably use this in conjunction with an SA workbook.
I like the anecdotes by SA sufferers. Why can't we get a book of just stories of people's struggles with SA and how they overcome it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:55 PM

I got through the entire book. It offered some good information, especially about the causes of social anxiety, but I found the exercises to be of no use. They were pretty much common sense things or overly simplistic.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 04:30 AM

I have it but haven't read it. How stupid . . .
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 12:36 PM

very wordy. i can only read a couple of pages at a time before falling asleep.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 08:24 PM
SAS Member

I'm reading it right now (I'm about 1/3 through it), and I like it a lot. I think it's very informative and well-written.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 02:46 PM

It might be the worst book that has ever been written on any subject at any time in the history of the world. It offers no relief whatsoever.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmdhx
It might be the worst book that has ever been written on any subject at any time in the history of the world. It offers no relief whatsoever.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page