Any good books on agoraphobia? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Any good books on agoraphobia?

I am looking for a book on agoraphobia to help me cope. Anyone have any suggestions??

The hardest thing to do in life is to watch the one you love love someone else! Always stay true to yourself and your heart and you can't go wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 04:22 AM
SAS Member

FROM PANIC TO POWER by Lucinda Bassett

I believe Lucinda Bassett addresses this in her book FROM PANIC TO POWER and also in her audio tape/CD program. You can find more info by doing an internet search on her name or going straight to her web site:
http://www.stresscenter.com
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thank you!

The hardest thing to do in life is to watch the one you love love someone else! Always stay true to yourself and your heart and you can't go wrong.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 04:07 PM
SAS Member

You are welcome. My daughter got the program today via UPS. I will ask her if there is anything specific on agoraphobia. Since Lucinda Bassett had problems herself with anxiety and agoraphobia, I'm sure there must be something included in her program for dealing with that.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 02:48 PM
SAS Member

I was agoraphobic, with panic disorder, for several years. I am now completely cured of both afflictions. I credit my success to this self-help program:

- Mastery of Your Anxiety and Panic (MAP-III)

The MAP program was developed by David Barlow, who is probably the world's foremost authority on panic disorder and cognitive-behavioral therapy. Practically every research paper on panic disorder cites Barlow's work.

Notice that there are two versions of the program: one for "Anxiety and Panic" (purchase the client kit for $38 ) and the other for "Agoraphobia" (purchase the client kit for $27). Both client kits can be purchased together for $62.

I worked through the "Anxiety and Panic" version only, because panic disorder was my most serious problem. I found this version to be useful, not only for panic disorder, but also for social anxiety and agoraphobia. However, if agoraphobia without panic disorder is your primary problem, then you'd probably do better with the "Agoraphobia" version.

Notice that Barlow has also created therapists' guides. However, no therapist is required to make use of and benefit from the client kits. Each client kit provides a comprehensive self-help program.

I can't recommend Barlow's program enough. It would be no exaggeration to say that it literally saved my life.

You can learn more about David Barlow on the Boston University Web site:

http://www.bu.edu/anxiety/dhb/
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 05:33 AM
SAS Member

The short answer is that there doesn't seem to be anything "out there" that deals with this, that is of any quality and use. This leads me to believe I should write a book...

Anyway! Two free resources are as follows:

http://www.tne.net.au/~swag/index.html

http://www.paniccure.com/

And, check out the work of Dr. Claire Weekes - you can find her stuff on Amazon. I was asked to review it for work, and it really was rather good.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page