Northern California - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
untitled document

Language: None

Northern California

I've been pondering the idea of starting a social anxiety meetup(.com) group for the region. Unfortunately, the idea of having to take responsibility for it all and probably be expected to talk or know what I'm doing is just too much.

Anyone want to be responsible and take some of the focus off me so that it's possible? Anywhere from Vallejo to South Lake Tahoe works as a location for me, with Sacramento as the obvious population center.

The group would be designed to limit anxiety so that people with bad SA could actually attend. Some possible ideas for that are a "silent observer" section to sit in when not up to conversation, the ability to pass on any question, an uncrowded meeting place (maybe a park, not a coffee shop like the east bay group has been using), and a recognition that people can move at their own speeds even if that speed is so slow as to appear stationary. More advanced social activities might be taken up by a subgroup between the main group meetups.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 PM

I don't know about taking any type of leadership position but if a SA meetup group is formed in Sac I wouldn't mind joining.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Done with SA

If one was started in Sac, I would definitely be up for it.
Not too sure about being a leader, but I guess I could help a bit. I just couldn't deal with the pressure of being the focus all the time.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 05:41 PM
SAS Member

I am planning on moving to Sac from eureka in 5 months and I would be interested in being a part of a SA group
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 08:03 PM
SAS Member

Is anyone in the San Joaquin Valley. Modesto, Fresno, Clovis, Bakersfield, Visalia etc.?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
untitled document

I see someone just started a group in Fair Oaks: http://www.meetup.com/Social-Phobia-But-I-like-people/

Looks terrifyingly friendly though (yeah, that has to be the most absurd excuse I've used to rationalize my running and hiding instinct).

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Done with SA

Hm, that's not too far from me, actually. I should have a look into it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 04:58 PM
SAS Member

I'd be interested in going, but sacramento is 2hour drive for me, vellajo would be better.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 07:41 PM
SAS Member

i would be interested . BUMP bump
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 07:43 PM
SAS Member

anywhere from the south bay to the east bay to sf would be fine
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
untitled document

I went to the above-linked Fair Oaks group twice, flunked out and pretty much realized support groups aren't what I was really looking for (because they're for people who are actively trying to change, and actively suffering), so I won't be organizing a support group. I might do a non-support-group gathering when I get the nerve.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page