Improv at the Skype - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Improv at the Skype

I would like to find a group of individuals that would be interested in meeting once or twice a week through Skype (or a similar VOIP client) for improvisational 'plays'.

Specifically, we would have an initial 'setup' (for example, "a customer wants to return a banana to a store but mistakenly walks into a police station where two officers arrest him and interrogate him" ...or whatever) and roles in the setup are assigned to the participants and then we just let the actions and events unfold as they may. Many comedy troupes do this sort of situational improv, although we will not be interested in it for the humor specifically.

WHY DO THIS??

Because it teaches one how to interact; it helps one overcome SA. As a form of meditation I have been doing this on my own - playing out all the characters - and I can personally attest to the increase in confidence it has given me (check my blog in my sig for a little more info). Since I am still too shy too join a real life improv group, and I figure this might help out people here, I thought I would put it up.

So, I am not sure how Skype works but if there is enough expression of interest (2-3 people...we might have to split up groups depending on number) then I will figure out a suitable means for achieving this (or perhaps someone can suggest one) and we will set up a schedule and some initial setups and learn how to socialize!

Also I realize this is an anxiety-inducing proposition. Just remember, we will all be scared to do this even over the anonymity of the internet, and it will be awkward as hell. But I think the potential for good is great. At least it's an experiment.

So, interested parties please indicate as such and we will figure out a schedule in this thread or maybe we can have a mailing list or whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Fun...Fluid...Formidable

My Mood: Breezy

Re: Improv at the Skype

I love this idea. But what is skype and how do I "sign up". Sorry, I'm technically unhip.

Anxiety-free since a quarter a' three...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 09:01 AM

I am very much interested in it. I have the program but don't have a headset/microphone yet. I'll get one if people are serious about this and we get to do it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 09:30 AM

Sounds interesting...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shy1984
I would like to find a group of individuals that would be interested in meeting once or twice a week through Skype (or a similar VOIP client) for improvisational 'plays'.

Specifically, we would have an initial 'setup' (for example, "a customer wants to return a banana to a store but mistakenly walks into a police station where two officers arrest him and interrogate him" ...or whatever) and roles in the setup are assigned to the participants and then we just let the actions and events unfold as they may. Many comedy troupes do this sort of situational improv, although we will not be interested in it for the humor specifically.

WHY DO THIS??

Because it teaches one how to interact; it helps one overcome SA. As a form of meditation I have been doing this on my own - playing out all the characters - and I can personally attest to the increase in confidence it has given me (check my blog in my sig for a little more info). Since I am still too shy too join a real life improv group, and I figure this might help out people here, I thought I would put it up.

So, I am not sure how Skype works but if there is enough expression of interest (2-3 people...we might have to split up groups depending on number) then I will figure out a suitable means for achieving this (or perhaps someone can suggest one) and we will set up a schedule and some initial setups and learn how to socialize!

Also I realize this is an anxiety-inducing proposition. Just remember, we will all be scared to do this even over the anonymity of the internet, and it will be awkward as hell. But I think the potential for good is great. At least it's an experiment.

So, interested parties please indicate as such and we will figure out a schedule in this thread or maybe we can have a mailing list or whatever.
Brilliant Idea! Count me in.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 08:47 PM
SAS Member

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page